Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Savi radiation treatment

Options

Comments

• Pyrrh
    Pyrrh Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2017
    Options

when she tried to remove the air bubble with her hand it was horrid - and I have a really high pain tolerance. The nurse then hinted to her that it's easier with a rolled up towel. If they have to adjust see if they know how to use a rolled up towel for it. Much easier to bear. Still uncomfortable, but yeah.

Keep us posted how it is going! I am sure your team will take fantastic care of you. One week, done! Keep your eyes on that finish line :)

• Teach70
    Teach70 Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2017
    Options

How many of you are younger than 50 and still able to do SAVI? I am concerned my RO wont allow it because I am 47. If all other factors fit the criteria, do most RO's allow it? If mine doesn't, I may be willing to go wherever I can to have it done

• Pyrrh
    Pyrrh Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2017
    Options

Teach - I was 46 at treatment, and asked for the SAVI. The doctors were all over it "awesome, you'll be a GREAT candidate!" ... I think insurance pushed back a little (in fact I got a denial AFTER treatment was over... which was also fortunately AFTER they had previously authorized it) but it panned out in the end. The story I got about the age cutoff was that there was just not enough research on our age group.

• Irishgirl711
    Irishgirl711 Member Posts: 88
    edited August 2017
    Options

The SAVI was placed this afternoon. I think the numbing needles were the worst part. I also did not know that there would be so much fluid weeping out of the incision site, but the doctor warned me not to "freak out" when I felt all the wetness.

Procedure was done in the surgeon's office and it was installed very quickly. My breast feels kind of full, a little "pinchy", but overall so far it has not been awful. I am all taped up and am not crazy about having to wear a support bra 24/7 and sleeping in a sitting position or in a recliner, but I know it is only for 10 days and I can do this.

Simulation with radiologist is set for the day after tomorrow with radiation starting next week.

Thanks to everyone in this community who told me what to expect and gave me support. It really helped.

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited August 2017
    Options

Irishgirl, I'm glad the insertion is over and went as well as possible. Yes, the breast fills "full" but probably won't get any more painful during the next 10 days. I remember having to wear gauze pad to catch the fluid, but don't remember it being a lot. Sitting up in a chair to sleep is news to me--I had no restrictions and just didn't sleep on that side in bed--perhaps it has something to do with device placement. Mine went from the right side of right breast to the cavity at the 2:00 position on the left. I just slept on my left side. I hope they gave you an antibiotic for the next 10 days, if not ask for one tomorrow. The simulation should go smoothly and I don't remember it took overly long. Also, be sure to ask the nurse how to keep the wound clean over the long weekend coming up. They will probably dress it for you tomorrow and again each day next week, but you'll need to do it over the first weekend. I was not informed and had a problem when some of the little blue wires fell out (which turned out not to be a problem). Just think, by next Friday the rads will be over and the device removed!!! Best wishes and post or PM if you have questions.

• Katszr
    Katszr Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I had mine back in December during Christmas and had it in a total of 11 days. I would tell anyone going though it that it is not fun or painless but it is doable and soon will be a distant memory. I would also say, sleep in a recliner, keep a small pillow under your arm on that side when ever possible, watch out for kids and animals jumping on you and def. use a pillow under arm in a car. A u shaped pillow like the kind for travel is awesome and have at least 2 front opening sports bras. The actual radiation part was painless. I drove myself because it was easier than having others have to. Good luck!
  • Irishgirl711
    edited August 2017
    Options

My doctor said that "side sleeping" may crush the device, so I should either sleep in a recliner or buy a bed reading pillow with arms and sleep on my back. I tried the bed pillow last night but did not sleep well. I took a nap using two regular pillows and sleeping on my back. I may try the recliner, though.

My device goes in on the right side near where the Sentinel lobe removal was and ends near the cavity at around the 4:00 position. The end wires are taped securely under my arm.

I was given antibiotics for 14 days, and pain meds. I did take one pain pill after the insertion, but may be able to get by with Tylenol.

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. I will take them to heart.

You are right, Katszr, no fun and some discomfort or pain, but definitely doable.

Only 9 more days to go!!

I am looking forward to the Holiday season because this will all be behind me. It certainly has messed up my Summer.

• rejoicenow
    rejoicenow Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    Options

All of you ladies warm my heart. My core biopsy came back last week. I met with the surgeon on Monday. Will meet with someone next Monday about radiation and have chosen the SAVI, but am having second thoughts. Your words are helping guide me.

Even though my mother had breast cancer at age 22 it doesn't take the sting off to hear the word cancer...even though I'm 62. You all bring tears to my eyes that there are women, outside of my loving circle of family and friends, who are so supportive and helpful.

• ceanna
    edited August 2017
    Options

Rejoicenow, I'm sorry you have to join us here, but know there are lots of us to help you walk this unchosen path. Sounds like you have already read this thread. You might want to use the search feature to look for additional threads about brachytherapy in general. If you have specific questions, please ask here or private message one of us. Best wishes as you explore your options. Please let us know how you are doing.

• Irishgirl711
    edited August 2017
    Options

rejoice now, I had misgivings up until the device was implanted this week, but really, I am glad I had this option And took it instead of the long term external radiation for six weeks. The procedure was not as bad as I anticipated and other than a feeling of fullness and sometimes a pinching feeling and discomfort from having a foreign object in my breast, it is not bad at all.

The best thing is that mysaga will be done, finished, next Friday without my skin being burned. I will have custom, targeted radiation to cleanse the breast cavity to prevent reoccurrence. Research has indicated that prognosis for cure is excellent.

I am so thankful, too, that the women who posted on this site and went through it before me have relayed their experiences and also are there still to encourage those of us going through it now, because there is very limited information out there on what to expect as you are going through treatment and this thread has been a godsend.

As an update to my story, I had the simulation today. Unfortunately, I had developed a seroma (fluid buildup) in the cavity, and the RO had to deflate the SAVI and manipulate the breast and wound site to get the fluid out. Needless to say, that was somewhat painful, but necessary, as they told me they cannot radiate the cavity if there is more than 10% fluid buildup because it can affect the results.

It was not intolerable, but did pinch for awhile afterwards so I took a pain pill and things did settle down a bit.

When it was done, they did another cat scan and found that the fluid was gone, so they proceeded with the simulation where they put in guide wires and take measurements to decide which ports will be used. I have a size 10.1 SAVI, which is large, and it has 11 catheters.

I begin the treatments Monday, twice a day for five days, and the device will be removed on Friday, after my last 3:00 pm appointment. Yay!

Going forward, they will do a Cat scan prior to each treatment to make sure that the device has not moved or (hope not) any fluid has built up. If so, they will have to manipulate the breast again. But, if not, I have been told that there should be no pain associated with the treatment itself, with the exception being some pain and discomfort when the device is removed, but that goes quickly.

Rejoicenow, I am glad you found this site and I am sure you will find it helpful in your upcoming treatment, as I have. I have found the women on it to be the most knowledgeable having gone through it. We are all here for you, so please be sure to post any questions. I am sure that someone will have the answer for you or direct you to a resource if they do not know the answer.

Best of luck to you as you begin your journey.

• FridayYet
    FridayYet Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi,

I've been told I'm a candidate for brachytherapy and am looking into treatment via SAVI catheter. Thank you all SO MUCH for sharing your stories so I can make an informed decision! I'll be talking to the coordinator next week and confirming insurance coverage.

Wishing us all the best.

• Irishgirl711
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi, Friday Yet!

Best of luck with your coordinator as you decide on your treatment. SAVI was the best tratment for me, when I weighed the options, which included short treatment duration time as well as excellent prognosis.

I am eager to be done with all this and am glad that everything has been going better than I anticipated.

You will find many helpful articles on this site, as well as on the web. I even found a video on you tube showing someone having the procedure.

Let us know how you are doing as you go forward with treatment.

Good luck and lots of hugs to you!

• Irishgirl711
    edited August 2017
    Options

Day One--

I went in at 9:00 am and went to get a CAT scan. Good news! No Seroma (fluid buildup) and the device did not shift. I then went in for the treatment. First, they make sure that I am lined up exactly as I was when they did the simulation. Then, they hook me up to the machine. They explained that the machine will first do a test run to make sure there are no obstructions in the lines. They tell me an alarm will sound if there is a problem. I have no problem, so the machine then goes through the procedure, irradiating each line on the catheters. My doctor programmed six out of the eleven on my size 10 SAVI.

I don't really feel anything, but a slight vibration as the wire goes through each tube.

It takes about a minute per catheter, so only six minutes total. However, the visit itself is about 30 minutes total, considering the cat scan, setup and system check.

After I am done, the very wonderful technicians disconnect me from the radiation chamber (I am connected by large tubes that come out of the chamber), put plugs in my catheters, dress the insertion womb, apply antibiotic ointment and gauze, and tell me to enjoy the rest of my day and be back at 3:00 pm.

I go back and the same routine occurs, exactly in the same order.

The techs say that I will get used to the routine, but that by the time that happens, I will he done.

All of the staff and professionals have been kind and considerate. The facility is fairly new and they have succeeded in scheduling everyone so that they do not wait in the waiting room too longand everything runs smoothly.

They answer any questions patiently and have been so kind, gentle and considerate that I can't help but think this is some kind of vocation and not just a job to these wonderful people.

In any case, I expect that the rest of the week will be much the same, and that us just GREAT.

• ceanna
    edited August 2017
    Options

Irishgirl. Glad your experience was positive with no glitches and no reoccurrence of the seroma. Sounds very much like my experience. It's more set up time than actual rads time. While it's only minutes, I found it interesting to "count the clicks" I could hear as each catheter was activated separately! My center also had a picture on the ceiling to help past the time. Hope your week goes quickly!! I remember counting down the days until I could take a full shower again!!

• Irishgirl711
    edited August 2017
    Options

Day Two--

Same as Day One.

Ceanna, my radiology center has color changing ceilings! Neat!

The staff is very organized and I rarely wait for more than just a few minutes.

Three more days to go!

I am getting the routine down and know which rooms I am going to.

I hope the rest of the week goes just as smoothly.

• Irishgirl711
    edited September 2017
    Options

My week was pretty routine. Each day the same as the other. The technicians were kind and caring and the treatments went quickly. I started each day with the CT scan, then either waited in a waiting room for a few minutes or I went into radiology and then laid on the table and was hooked up to the machine. The Physicist came in with the Geiger counter to make sure there was no loose radiation and checked the attachments. Then they waited for the Radiology Doctor to come and monitor the treatment. The machine clicked on and a test was done to make sure the lines were clear. Then the seed was dropped and went through the catheters. I could hear each click as it proceeded to each catheter and then the final click as it went into the vault. Then, the Physicist came in with the Geiger counter and assured there was no radiation leak. The only thing I felt was a slight vibration as the wire entered some catheters. The techs then dressed the wound and sent me on my way.

Today was my last day. After my last treatment, I was given a graduation certificate and was then moved to a room for removal of the SAVI. The RO came in and put lidocaine on the insertion site, waited a few minutes, deflated the device and twisted it a little to release it from the tissue that had healed around it. I felt a slight pinch at the site. He put more lidocaine and waited a few seconds, then pulled out the device with one smooth motion. I really did not feel much, except perhaps a release of pressure as he pulled it out. They asked me to sit up and some fluid gushed out. (Hint: do not wear light color clothing, as it dripped onto my pants and seeped onto my blouse). Seepage was expected, they said, until the wound closes over.

I had some minor twinges of pain for a couple of hours afterwards, but only occasionally and not bad, really, almost like a slight cramp or twinge. Overall, not what I anticipated and happily minor at best. The removal was much better than I had hoped and I did not need pain meds or ice or anything. I have had root canal dental treatment that was worse.

I can take a shower tomorrow afternoon and have follow up visit with the RO at 2, 4, and 6 weeks.

I can finally sleep on my side and take a shower!

I consider myself lucky to have qualified for this treatment and to have been assigned to a great facility with a caring and considerate staff. Going through something like this is scary, but when you have professionals such as this in your corner, it is much easier than anticipated.

• FridayYet
    FridayYet Member Posts: 17
    edited September 2017
    Options

Thanks for sharing your story, and glad everything went smoothly for you.

I thought I was getting SAVI treatments, but the coordinator sent me info on mulit-catheter brachytherapy. Not sure I'm thrilled with the thought of 10-20 different tubes in me. (Yuck). Guess I'll find out more as it gets closer.

• Irishgirl711
    edited September 2017
    Options

It does not matter. There are many different types of brachytherapy. Whatever works best for you would be the best. Know that this does work and ispersonalized for you. It will work. Rest assured. We are there as you go through this let us know how you are doing and know that this type of treatment is geared to your particular cancer and will be the best treatment for you. We are here for you. Let us know how you are doing.

• Irishgirl711
    edited September 2017
    Options

It does not matter. There are many different types of brachytherapy. Whatever works best for you would be the best. Know that this does work and is personalized for you. It will work. Rest assured. We are there as you go through this let us know how you are doing and know that this type of treatment is geared to your particular cancer and will be the best treatment for you. We are here for you. Let us know how you are doing.

• ceanna
    edited September 2017
    Options

Irishgirl, so glad you're done and all went well. I hope that shower this afternoon was as refreshing as you hoped! It's a long week plus, but just a week instead of 4-6 weeks. I hope you had no skin changes and are now ready to move on. Blessings! Ceanna

FridayYet, I've read here on the boards of others who have had the multiple, non-SAVI treatment. You may want to do a keyword search to rediscover that thread and read about their impressions of that type of treatment.

• Irishgirl711
    edited September 2017
    Options

Ceanna,

Thanks for the good wishes and thanks for you posts and continued support.

Yes, the soaking shower was much appreciated! It was nice to be able to lather all over.

I am still sore, of course, and I still get an occasional "nerve jolt" like an electric shock, but not a lot of pain, really. My breast is red near the area where the SAVI was, but I don't see any skin changes. The RO said that I may get a reaction of itchiness and redness in that area and he told me to get hydrocortisone cream with aloe should that occur. Did you have any reaction like that?

Did your breast exhibit any physical changes afterwards?

• ceanna
    edited September 2017
    Options

Irishgirl, I had a little skin darkening but no burn and even that quickly disappeared within a couple of weeks. I don't remember having any itchiness. I did experience some of those nerve jolts and for a few months felt like I often had a vibrating feeling in the treated breast. That took a few months to disappear, although on rare occasion, I might still have a minor nerve pain or two. I'm a slow healer and my device wound, which they had not stitched, took a few weeks to finally close over. I still, after over 2 1/2 years, have a reddish spot where the scar from device placement was.

My surgeon in a follow up appointment last fall suggested I have a fat transfer to level out the very minor hollow where the LX was, but I'm choosing not to bother with another procedure. That breast was always a little bigger so now they both fill out the bra the same!! One good thing to come from surgery!

I had much more problems with the SNB incision which had developed a seroma. That SNB scar is still quite noticeable.

Blessings as you recover from the stress treatment creates. Best wishes as you heal!!! Let us know how you're doing and ask away if you have questions!

I'm sure your positive reports will encourage others. Pass it on!!

• Irishgirl711
    edited September 2017
    Options

My SNB area was a problem, too, as far as pain and is still tender to the touch, but my surgery scar from the lumpectomy was worse, because it became weepy a week after my surgery and was infected, but the antibiotics I took during the SAVI took care of it. Still, it is not very attractive now and I hope it does not stay raised and ugly.

I don't know what my breast will look like when the swelling goes down, but the surgeon took a large area in the lumpectomy (hence my size 10 SAVI), so I suppose I will have some distortion. However, like you, the affected breast was bigger than the other and the scar is at the bottom, so I may be finally "even" too! And the scar won't be noticeable.

Thanks for your candidness and help as I went through the last few weeks. It really helped and I know that others who are going through this can find a helpful resource in this blog.

Thanks to all you incredible ladies who chronicled their experience so that others would know what to expect

• Irishgirl711
    edited September 2017
    Options

Followup: it has been two weeks since the SAVI was removed. I did not have any fluid oozing except for the one day afterwards. I kept a bandaid and neosporin dressing on the wound for the first week.

The insertion site is now almost completely closed and is healing well.

I did develop itching and redness and a warm-to-the-touch feeling where the radiation was, but the RO told me that I might have that reaction when he removed the device. He told me to treat the area with hydrocortisone with aloe. I have been using it and it does help.

My breast is still swollen and I do get twinges of pain every once in awhile, but otherwise things are proceeding well. My surgical incision areas are all pretty much healed.

• ceanna
    edited September 2017
    Options

Irishgirl, glad to hear you're doing well. Those little twinges will continue for awhile, unfortunately! All the best! Ceanna

• Irishgirl711
    edited September 2017
    Options

Thanks, Ceanna. Thanks, too, for helping me through this

• Mariposa17
    Mariposa17 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2017
    Options

I had my SAVI device removed a month ago. My wound is not completely healed. During my follow up appointment the radiation doc said all looked well. But, I’m concerned that I’m not “closed up” yet. I see the breast doc next week and I’m afraid I’ll need to go to wound care. Has anyone had a long healing time. And, I have a big, itchy rash really right under the incision site...

• ceanna
    edited November 2017
    Options

Mariposa, I too had Savi and I am also a slow healer. It took a good month for the wound to close and longer to heal--I still have a pink spot almost 3 years later. I didn't have an infection, but did have a seroma at the SNB site which probably didn't help. Not sure about the itchy spot, but I'm allergic to adhesive so had to avoid tape while wound was open--are you using any adhesive tape? If the doctor said it looked good, only time may complete the healing. All the best to you. Let us know how you're doing.

• Irishgirl711
    edited November 2017
    Options

I had my last treatment on 09/01/16. I had itchy, scaly, skin and in my follow up visit, the RO said I had so”skin reaction” to the radiation. It was red, rough, and scaly. In fact, I still have some peeling to this day, and itching, as well as redness and rhickenwd skin. My incision wound took quite awhile to heal, and I still get some tenderness and nerve jolt pain on occasion. But, I do see improvement. They did tell me that that it could take several months to a year for the side effects to subside, so I am taking it all in stride. I had three follow up visit a every two weeks after the SAVI was removed and the doctor was not concerned, and just told me it would take time.

So, it sounds like you are going through a similar situation, Mariposa17. Hang in there. But, should you suspect an infection, call your doctor.

As some wise folks told me in this blog, in a year or so, this will all be a distant memory. Let us know how you are doing.

• Mariposa17
    Mariposa17 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thank you for the encouragement. I had stop using adhesive and now just use a sterile pad. Aloe and lavendar with coconut oil help ( not on the incision, just the rash). I'll let you know what the doc says after my visit next week