Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Savi radiation treatment

Options

Comments

• huntingal
    huntingal Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hey Irishgirl, thanks for your tips! You're the first person I've chatted with who's had this procedure. Good advice on the removal day too. They had towels at the ready on insertion day for fluid; they said a lot came out, but I was a bit distracted and didn't notice, plus it's way behind me so I can't see what's going on. Didn't know about the skin reaction; glad I'll be prepared for that now. I have a studio tour, the public coming to my home to see my art and studio two days after removal; do you think I'll be ok for that? Lots of chatting, touring my big house, questions, etc....I'm worried I'll be spaced out or exhausted....guess I'll find out, eh?! I guess if I feel crappy, I'll just sit there and tell them to bring their questions to me. 

Thanks again! Hope all is well with you!

Hard to bitch when it's so nice and lovely out (I'm in Montana)...

• Irishgirl711
    Irishgirl711 Member Posts: 88
    edited May 2018
    Options

I think you should enjoy your open house and studio tour. Don’t do anything strenuous for awhile, because your wound will be healing. I don’t think you will be “spaced out” or exhausted, but you will know what you can handle. Just make sure you get lots of rest beforehand and take care of yourself. Good thing the worst will be behind you!

Sounds like you have a lot of excitement ahead of you!

I am doing well, thanks. Coming up on a year since I first had my diagnosis. It really messed with my Summer. I live near the Jersey Shore, as they say around here. Pretty nice place to live, though not as spectacular as Montana. (Very flat geographically). This year I really intend to enjoy Summer!

Sending hugs and good thoughts your way

• PatsyKB
    PatsyKB Member Posts: 211
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi all. Reporting in from Phoenix where we’re staying for the 9 day SAVI routine, from insertion day through treatment including the 3 day weekend free days.

I feel very fortunate to report that aside from some effort to insert my SAVI mini-6, all went smoothly. Draining of fluid and blood, yes, but everyone’s been excellent about dressing and cleaning me up and I am SO trusses up in my bra they put me in plus the gauze pads, I’m feeling almost comfortable. Definitely secure.

Luckily we are staying at a favorite very comfortable resort for the duration (grateful to DH for suggesting it) and sleeping on 2 pillows is keeping the breast comfortable at night. Only resorted to pain meds before bed the 1st 2 nights. Will use Tylenol from here on out if I’m uncomfortable.

The twice daily scans and the radiation treatments have been comfortable and uneventful. Not feeling any side effects, nor do I expect to. Maybe a little fatigue at the end of the final sessions they said?

I am not looking forward to removal of the device but thanks to suggestions from some of you, I plan to take a pain pill before that session and also to wear dark clothing in case of renewed fluid/blood draining. We have to drive 2 hours to get home after the final treatment.

You have all been wonderful.

• PatsyKB
    edited May 2018
    Options

p.s. huntingal, I was so sorry you had such a tough experience. I really hope things improve. Sounds like you and I are going through treatment at the same time.

I have to ask: where in Montana are you? We lived in Missoula for 31+ years before moving to Arizona. If you prefer not to answer publicly, you can also send a private message via this website.

And Irishgirl711, I so appreciate your checking in on me and our gentle hug!

• Irishgirl711
    edited May 2018
    Options

Patsy,

Yahoo! Glad that your insertion and treatment are going well! (I had a size 10, so my device, to me, felt HUGE). But, hey, you do what you have to.

Your husband is a dream. It is nice to have someone living and supportive when you go through this.

Glad you are resting in comfortable surroundings. Sounds like a great idea to me!

Relax and enjoy your break in treatment and the holiday weekend as best you can. Get rest and eat wonderfully prepared food at your resort stay. Take it one day at a time and it is almost over

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited May 2018
    Options

huntingal, glad the process is going well for you but sorry for the difficulties with insertion. Welcome here and post any questions or concerns you may have.

Patsy, glad, too, you're doing well and not experiencing any problems. Just think, for both of you, by this time next week, you'll be done!!! Patsy, did you get to enjoy your anniversary dinner?

I remember the device removal as only momentary discomfort, although I also remember not being told in advance what to expect and the area was not numbed!!! More startling than painful!! I guess I was just so relieved to walk out of there without the device, I've forgotten! Both of you will be so glad to be able to shower and sleep normally once you're done!

I was on antibiotics while the device was in. I did have a long time of healing, but I'm a slow healer. If you have the same process, they do not stitch the wound shut but allow it to heal from the inside out. I had some drainage for a week or so and the wound itself closed up after a month. Over 3 years later it is only a faint pink spot.

Please check with the nurses tomorrow about your self-care over the long weekend. Make sure they provide you enough dressings and gloves! They are so good at packing your wound, but you will do well on your own and be able to handle the dressing changes.

I didn't get overly tired and let myself take it easy. I hope you both have a good weekend and take it easy while enjoying a different paced holiday weekend. All the best, Ceanna

• jkl2017
    jkl2017 Member Posts: 279
    edited May 2018
    Options

Patsy, so glad everything is going well for you. If you're concerned about pain during removal, it won't hurt to take a pain pill beforehand. (Removal is quick, though, & you'll feel instant relief.) I felt great immediately afterwards but was a little tired over the next few days. Just look forward to that first shower -- it's amazing! In the meantime enjoy your mini-vacation & your sweet husband!

Huntingal, you should be fine for your studio tour (sounds very cool!). You may be a bit tired; maybe you could nap beforehand? And let others help you get yourself & your home/studio ready for the event. After all, you're the main attraction!

Wishing you both an uneventful week & speedy healing!

• jkl2017
    jkl2017 Member Posts: 279
    edited May 2018
    Options

Oh, Huntingal, I forgot to mention that the best thing I've found for night sweats is sleeping with a small fan aimed directly at my head. (And keeping a glass of ice water on the nightstand!) A cool bath or shower before bed helps too, but unfortunately that can't happen while the SAVI is in place. Sorry you're having to deal with night sweats on top of everything else (breast cancer just sucks in so many ways). I'm sending you cooling thoughts - hang in there; it will get better!

• huntingal
    edited May 2018
    Options

wow, it's great to hear from you gals, and know there are others out there going through this. Patsy, I'm at St. Pats, right here in Missoula, altho I live in Hamilton, about an hour south. So I'm staying in their "home" for patients, very nice, have my own room within walking distance of the hospital. I'll go home this afternoon, and return on Tuesday for the last two days of treatment. Wish I coulda brought my dog, haha! And, I have to be honest, I almost look forward to seeing the radiation team twice a day; they are so bubbly and fun, we just chatter away the whole time. I'm a professional wildlife artist, I work and live at home alone, so it's kinda fun to hang with a few cool gals! Today they wrapped me up tight with a big ace bandage...my SAVI was the biggest they make, so we're trying to keep it from shifting around...you could set a table on my chest right now. I do plan on taking pain pills before removal, good tip you guys! I'm sure it will be easier than insertion. 

Virginia, thanks for the tips on night sweats; I do have a fan going on me all night...it's not aimed at my head tho....I'll try that. They are really becoming a nuisance, keeping me up half the night. 

Good luck to you, Patsy, enjoy your nice digs! And thanks for your encouraging words, Ceanna.

What does it feel like when it's over? Does the weariness kick in right away? sigh....wish it took away your appetite. HA!

• Irishgirl711
    edited May 2018
    Options

I don’t remember feeling tired and weary after the SAVI was removed, but I did get a lot of sleep, so maybe I was tired. The worst part for me was the itchy skin reaction that lasted r a couple of weeks, and the swollen breast.

I still get nerve jolt pain on occasion, and the doctor said that is normal and could last for over a year. But, it is not that bad and I feel pretty lucky overall.

Hope you ladies get some rest over the long weekend. Only a few more days to go, YAY

• huntingal
    edited May 2018
    Options

wow....a friend just sent me a link to a Mayo clinic video on SAVI....those guys do it all in 5 days! Excise the tumor, test margins, take lymph nodes, test them, insert the SAVI, all in one operation. Then the radiation starts the next day, and you're home by the weekend. 

Guess it might pay to be next to the best hospital in the world, eh? 

well, I'm off for my 2:00 treatment, then home for 3 days! Got a new HUGE TOUGH bra....hope it will work!

• PatsyKB
    edited May 2018
    Options

Random catching up

huntingal - small world. I was just in missoula between surgeon meeting and lumpectomy for time with family and friends. I wouldn't be surprised If you and I have mutual frfriends. We know a lot of artists. Hope your SAVI stays in place!

I'm a little more than halfway through my 5 days of treatment. Amazing. After the long weekend, I have 2 more days of treatment on Tuesday and Wednesday. Those sessions had to be scheduled for a sister facility due to staffing so unfortunately that means I won’t see my own radiation oncologist but rather one of the docs on staff across town. I’ll see my RO at follow up (she is terrific and pioneered the use of the SAVI in the Phoenix area).

The only side effect i am experiencing is that I am suddenly feeling more tired than usual and even napped today, something I never do.

DH was schooled in dressing change and wound care today so that he can play Florence Nightingale over the weekend. We picked up additional supplies at CVS. It’s not as though we packed things like hydrogen peroxide when we came down here for he week.

Trying to keep the non-treatment times filled with good things even if that's just walking or reading. So tomorrow’s visit to the Pompeii exhibit at the science center will be a highlight.

Irishgirl711 we DID have a lovely anniversary dinner on Wednesday (thanks for asking) and in fact have been eating well and healthily all week, easy to do in the Phoenix area. Almost a vacation. But not quite.

Today's highlight: a salon appointment for a shampoo and blow out. Simple but heavenly. I feel much cleaner! Since it didn't break the bank I scheduled another session for next week since I won't be able to shower until the scab forms, 2-3 days after the device is pulled. So another week or so. I recommend the pampering, Huntingal, and there are oodles of good hair places downtown walking distance from st. pat's.

Again, you are all such a comfort. Have to go...time for a little DH time.

• PatsyKB
    edited May 2018
    Options

did I share this? It’s pretty good. https://youtu.be/ADpqgIfeQ0g

Helped DH understand the whole SAVI thing.

• huntingal
    edited May 2018
    Options

Well, my last day today; I told them I wanted my SAVI device for a souvenir. Looking forward to getting it out....but the entire process has been a unique experience, to be sure. I'm happy the odds are very small for a repeat performance, at least in that breast. Had a minor fender bender yesterday, which didn't help things; the seatbelt smacked me good across the shoulder, and I returned to the hospital for another scan to make sure all was ok; it was. And my car was fine, brand new one, rats. The other guy had some fender repairs, and since I backed into him, my bad. sigh. first time. Always something exciting going on!

Patsy, yours is coming out today too; good luck!! Not sure what I'm not supposed to do this weekend, i.e. lifting, exercising....guess I'll find out. 

• ceanna
    edited May 2018
    Options

huntingal and Patsy. Glad your treatment is coming to an end. Hope all went well. I'm sure you're looking forward to getting free of the device and that first shower!! I did not keep my device but did see it after it was removed! Don't look before they clean it!!

I think there were some limitations on certain movements, especially before the wound heals over--it has just been 3 1/2 years and I can't remember!! The doctors or nurses will know. Just be sure to ask. I do remember it seemed strange to just walk out of the treatment center and think I would not have to go back after seeing these people twice a day for a week! Good, but kind of like I wanted to see these very nice people again!!! I did get a certificate of completion signed by all the people I saw during treatment. Some places, I hear, ring a bell when you're done!!

Let us know how you're doing. All the best as you heal. Ceanna

• PatsyKB
    edited May 2018
    Options

Huntingal - woo hoo day 5, heading to treatment #10 in a few hours and then that’s it for brachy! Glad you mentioned keeping the device - I asked this morning and they said they’d clean it up for me. I can always toss it later on but for now, I’ll have it as a souvenir/visual aid when someone says SAVI? What’s that?

My team said at least 2 weeks until normal activity when I asked about returning to my working out which is an important part of my life. So no yoga or weights anything but walking and light stretching for 2 week minimum. I can live with that. Anything to avoid opening the incision

• PatsyKB
    edited May 2018
    Options

I plan on enjoying being at home again, sleeping in our own bed, eating our own cooking, seeing friends. Nothing on my calendar on purpose - just in case - except a haircut tomorrow and of course a follow up with my RO and my looming MO appointment (The Big Reveal) next Thursday.

Huntingal, do you know what your MO recommendations for drug/chemo therapy are?

• huntingal
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi girls; Ceanna, thanks for the tips! It is good to be home again. And hard to believe I won't see those lovely folks at the radiation lab again. They must do that every day, see folks they've come to know, then say goodbye and welcome the next person. I will miss their energy and laughter.

Not sure what my MO recommendations are....Tamoxifin perhaps....I don't see my oncologist until June 12. I don't have to have any chemo, thank goodness. My night sweats are truly horrid, and really affecting my sleep and energy, more so than the radiation, I think. I plan on checking with a homeopathist soon; I gotta do something. All my bandages get soaked off within hours, and my bedding is a mess every morning. Wasn't supposed to, but I had to shower this morning, after 9 days. Hopefully nothing will go awry.

But---I'm grateful to be done, and feel very optimistic for the future!! I have my art show starting tomorrow here...but if I have to just sit and tell folks to wander around and ask questions if they have any, I will. Normally I follow them all over my home, which takes about an hour each time. Whew. Not this year!!

Take care!

• Irishgirl711
    edited May 2018
    Options

Huntingal and Patsy,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

So glad that the SAVI treatment is over and you are on your way to healing. Good luck in your follow up visits. I, too, took a shower right away. I was told to be careful of the wound, which was open, but was told I could shower a day after removal. You need to just take care of yourself and not overdo it. You may be tired for a few days or more, so rest and take it easy.

I did not have to have chemo, either, so I felt really fortunate that way.

Best of luck as you go forward. Be sure to mention any side effects or problems to your RO (I had a skin reaction of itchy peeling skin for several weeks) and tell your doctor any other concerns you may have.

You may experience pain and swelling in the breast for quite some time. Remember, you had something inside you and the body has to heal from that trauma.

As I said earlier, I had my device removed 9 months ago and I still get some pain and swelling events, but not too bad.

The worst is over! Time to feel good and heal

• PatsyKB
    edited May 2018
    Options

Yup, all done. Turns out that my radiation oncology team - the two senior members - are the Arizona pioneers of the SAVI device so I feel like I really lucked out there. Removal went smoothly, as did my whole treatment week. While we did bring the device home with us mostly because I wasn't certain I wanted it as a "souvenir," this morning when I went to do a little more cleanup, I decided "Nope." Had my husband take a look-see and then we tossed it.

I feel deeply grateful to have qualified for this treatment. Also happy that my tumor was small and I could have the smallest device.

Can't wait for my first shower - have to wait for that all-important scab to form, so probably no shower until Saturday. Although I have a long period of doctor-imposed-rules and restrictions like only walking and light stretching for 6 weeks; no lifting over 10 lbs and absolutely no free weights for 6 weeks; have to take my temp a couple of times a day for 3 weeks...etc., at least I'm done with this part. Yay!

Next week I'll have my radiation followup. PLUS, more daunting, my second MO meeting. My MO will then tell me what drug therapy he's recommending, likely an aromatase inhibitor (I'm ER+/PR-/HER2- and post-menopausal). He'll tell me, too, what the OncotypeDX test says. Fingers crossed. So maybe chemo, maybe no chemo.

Congratulations, Huntingal and everyone else who's getting through this!

• ceanna
    edited May 2018
    Options

Patsy and huntingal. Congratulations on crossing the SAVI rads finish line! ThumbsUpSmile

Wow, Patsy. Sounds like the best med team ever!!! huntingal, sorry you're experiencing hot flashes.

All the best for rapid healing and as you explore your options with your MOs. Everyone has a different diagnosis, risk percentages, and treatment plan. Make sure you ask questions, and get a second opinion if you feel the need. Personally, I did get a second opinion, and because of another health issue, choose not to take tamoxifen (my risk for reoccurrence was lower than my risk of taking), and I did not need chemo.

Let us know how you're doing on the journey and pass along what you have experienced and learned to others new to the threads. Take care. Ceanna

• Tampa59
    Tampa59 Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2018
    Options

Another one for Savi radiation next week. I've read all these tips and questions and I don't know whether to be more convinced it's the right decision or scared about the pain. I've met the radiologist twice - the first time he listed both options - Savi or 6 weeks radiation and didn't really push one over the other. This week when I met with him and got final pathology results, he didn't seem thrilled at all regarding the Savi option and pretty much disputed everything I inquired about or said the oncologist had said. It was a little discouraging so I've been doing a lot more research. I think this seems like a great option; however, he kept saying if there is one minuscule cancer cell outside the targeted area, then radiation won't get it. My response is pretty much even 6 weeks radiation would only be on 1 breast so if there was a cancer cell on the other breast - it wouldn't get that either.

I am nervous about the pain and I'm not sure about the schedule. I'm meeting my surgeon for a follow up on Tuesday and if agree to move forward she'll put the Savi in Wednesday. I'm not sure if that means 5 days 2x a day excluding weekend, or including weekend. Confirmed no showers for 2 weeks. Hair salon sounds like an option. Would give an antibiotic to start when inserted and a Valium prior to insertion. Radiologist said you can't work which I get if 2x / day but could possibly work in between or evenings if not too tired. It's just such an unknown.

For those who did the Savi - are you glad you did it? Any regrets? To me it seems to beat 6 weeks of radiation --- if I can handle the pain. I had my lumpectomy and 2 sentinel nodes removed 5/24 and final pathology report was clean margins and no sign of cancer. I know some said they didn't do radiation after if everything was clean. On June 20th I have 2nd appointment with oncologist to determine which hormonal therapy - I wish I had written down which one she suggested.

Every turn is a new experience and lots of waiting and patience. Don't get me wrong I feel very thankful at this point. Recovery seems good except underarm where the sutures are sticky and that still can hurt. This seems to be the most informative spot I've found on the Savi so thanks all for the input.

• PatsyKB
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi Tampa59 - I just finished SAVI on Wednesday so I'll weigh in but of course, I can speak only for myself.

PAIN - I really didn't have much. Insertion of the device wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but it wasn't that bad. My BS numbed the area, so I really didn't feel anything until later, by which time I had some pain pills in hand and took one the first night before bed and one the second night. Other than that, tylenol and then nothing. For the duration (in my case 8 days because of the 3 day weekend), sometimes the device was a little uncomfortable (usually a matter of how the dressing had been changed and arranged - everything's held in tightly by the bra they provided). I slept on an extra pillow and arranged myself so that there was no strain on the bra/dressings/device - slept pretty soundly.

The radiation process itself caused absolutely NO PAIN at all. It's really nothing at all except feeling small vibrations as the radiation pellet makes its rounds into and out of each catheter. It's really an amazing technology. The advantage of the SAVI is that it conforms so well to the breast cavity and is evidently much more able to be calibrated for maximum treatment where needed; minimum where appropriate.

Extraction of the device was much easier than I'd expected - As a precaution, I took a pain pill an hour prior to that treatment and it took the edge off. The RO who removed the device is an expert, calmly talking me through it and having me "count down" then, zip, it was out. I'd equate the pain with a bandage being taken off quickly. Tylenol or a pain pill that night might be called for.

CHOICE OF RADIATION - My tumor was small - 5mm, clean nodes, clean margins, IDC, Grade 1A. I trusted that my RO suggested SAVI Brachytherapy because it was appropriate for my cancer/tumor/pathology. Here's a link to the website of the radiation oncology practice I went to - it describes the selection criteria. I fit perfectly so it seemed like a no brainer. My RO was very positive that this was the right choice. http://www.arizona-breast-cancer-specialists.com/brachytherapy/patient-eligibility.html

You might ask your RO why he is less inclined to do brachytherapy - perhaps it's something in the pathology report? It's not for everyone and if there had been any question about the suitability of SAVI for me, I would definitely have just done external beam even if it would have meant weeks of daily treatments at a different facility closer to home.

SCHEDULE - You will have treatment for 5 days, twice a day. Most of the time women are scheduled for insertion (in my case by my BS) on one day, then the next day the 2x daily treatments start (each treatment session is about 6 hours apart and includes a scan and then the treatment). Quite often treatment days are interrupted by a weekend which is actually great - two days (or 3 if it's a holiday weekend) of "Normal" is really nice. As far as working - I'm retired, but I'll tell you, you don't have a lot of time in between treatments. Depending on your job and location it might work (no lifting obviously). We would have breakfast, go to morning treatment which took about an hour altogether, then go do something or read or run errands, have lunch, and awhile later go to afternoon treatment. Then poof, it's late afternoon and the day's just about over.

STAYING CLEAN - Go to REI or a camping store and pick up a couple of packs of camping body wipes. Those, a washcloth and towel, and some intimate area wipes will do the trick. I scheduled a salon shampoo and blow out twice - it was HEAVEN!! And it's true, no shower or bath from the day of insertion until once the scab forms on the wound (it's left open in order to drain and scab naturally). My last session was Wednesday and today is Friday. I have BARELY a spot of fluid on my dressing today and the wound is closing nicely. Tomorrow I'll re-dress it and on Sunday, I WILL SHOWER!

OTHER STUFF & AFTER CARE - My RO prescribed a Z-pack (antibiotics) to start the night before treatment. I feel great - no infection. I kept the oxycodone from my lumpectomy (never used more than one or two for that surgery recovery) just in case and I did use a couple for this week when necessary. No lifting over 10 lbs or any free weights or strenuous exercise (not even yoga) for 6 weeks. Walking is encouraged, so I walk a few miles every day. Lots of other instructions which I will follow to the letter.

Personally, I am happy I did this. My RO and the RO who removed my device pioneered the device in our area and were expert in its use. I feel confident in my choice - as my husband says, "creeping doubt" isn't helpful.

ALSO AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - this is just one part of treatment. I will see my MO next week and get my prescription for whichever aromatase inhibitor he recommends. I will also find out the results of my Oncotype test. It may be that chemo is necessary (I hope not). In any case, SAVI Brachytherapy took care of the immediate area of the tumor without damaging other tissue. Now, we start cleaning up the rest of me and blocking the estrogen in order to prevent recurrence. Not to sound too Pollyanna-ish, but I do feel good about all of this, even knowing what kinds of side effects I could be in for. I'll be having regular screenings and checkups, MRI, Mammo, etc., and plan on staying as healthy as I started out (I'm really healthy).

Good luck, Tampa59 - whatever you decide to do, have confidence in it and ask lots of questions. Also, let us know how you're doing!

• ceanna
    edited June 2018
    Options

Tampa, welcome, but I'm sorry you find yourself here. Everyone's experience is different and the decisions we are forced to make are difficult. I can only speak from my experience--I had SAVI over 3 years ago and have never regretted my choice. Personally, I found the lumpectomy and the sentinel node biopsy sites the most painful part of the process. Doing the SAVI rads was uncomfortable, but not really painful. When they implant the device, the area is numbed. You are wrapped which holds the device in place, and while uncomfortable with little twinges, I can't say it was painful, more of a pressure feeling. With SAVI, I did not have skin burning which can happen with traditional radiation--just slight discoloration over the site, but no pain. Perhaps you can ask your radiologist or surgeon about pain management, should you need it, but do make sure you take an antibiotic while the device is in to prevent possible infection.

Likely, if you have the device put in on Wednesday, you may have at least one staging day when they set everything up and then start treatment--I understand the timelines have changed a bit since I had mine done. You probably would not have treatment over the weekend, and after 5 treatment days, the device is removed on the last day. Your schedule will depend on the treatment center schedule but I've never heard of anyone having the device in over 10 days and one person had in only for 6 days. Mine was in for parts of 9 days--Wednesday to the next week Friday.

As to working, unless restricted by surgeon, I don't see why you couldn't try some hours. The twice a days are usually scheduled about 6 hours apart and if you're close enough to your work site, why not give it a try depending on what work you do. You wouldn't be able to life heavy things, but if you have a desk type job, and your employer willing, you could try some hours and see how you feel. Some employers may have procedures in place about working if you are having medical treatment, but you would have to check with your HR people. You might need a little more rest than normal, but, again, in my case, I was not noticeably more tired. I did not work during the days of treatment, but did everything else except lift, and watched out for kids and dogs who want to be picked up, jump up, or big hugs!!! Little side hugs are good, though!!!

This is a difficult choice and I don't know why your radiologist was more negative the second time you met. Perhaps just question him again and have him account for his recent concerns. He owes you an explanation. Maybe your surgeon will provide more insight also.

We're here for you if you have more questions, and I'm sure others will check in with you here before you have to make your decision. All the best. Ceanna

• Irishgirl711
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi, Tampa,

Sorry that you have to go through this, but you will find a lot of good advice, support, and information here, just as I did when I went through this 9 months ago.

My tumor was small. I had Ductal Carcinoma in Situ, less than 1cm. The surgeon took out a large area of tissue regardless, and I had the large size SAVI (size 10), to fill the cavity. I had 2sentinel nodes removed and pathology report showed clean margins.

My RO discusses both treatment options, but said I was a great candidate for the SAVI because of its targeted therapy. Whole breast radiation targets the lymph nodes and can get down to the heart and lung muscles, he said. While he said that there were some people who elected not to have any radiation if their margins were clean and no lymph nodes were involved, he suggested the SAVI to totally clear the area of any stray cells that may be there.

I was scared and apprehensive about going through it, too. I had the device in for 9 days because of the weekend. It was uncomfortable, but not painful, exactly. I guess it feels like pressure inside your breast (like a huge splinter, perhaps). I did take antibiotics during the time it was inside.

The insertion was painless due to the numbing of the area (the needles were the painful part). I did have pain pills left from surgery and took one prior to insertion and maybe one the day after, but did not take anything during except Tylenol when needed. The last day Removal was fast and efficient. The RO numbed the area, deflated the SAVI, twisted it a bit to release the tissue that healed around it, told me to take a deep breath (probably to distract me) and it was out!

My facility did not supply a bra, and I took the advice of some of the ladies on this site and bought a couple of open-front sports bras to make removal and dressing easier for me and the nurses.

I did use a hand held shower for bathing my lower body and a washcloth for the upper body, but not near the affected breast. I was able to wash my hair in the kitchen sink, using the shower hose, but it was cumbersome because I am right handed and the device was in my right breast, so manipulating the hose was a challenge. So, if you are able to get a wash and dry st a salon, that would be a good way to pamper yourself and you are worth it!

In answer to your question: I was leery of getting ANY radiation due to the clean margins, but understood the reason why it was suggested, and I did not want to go through surgery again and regret that I did not “sanitize” the area. The five day vs. whole breast radiation for six weeks is what sold me.

I also had pain at the sentinel node removal, due to the position of the scar and rubbing caused by my bra. I still sometimes get swelling and pain in that area, but nothing from the surgery scar or the SAVI placement. I have only a tiny scar there.

I did get a “skin reaction” for a couple of weeks after removal (itching and peeling around the nipple area), but it was treatable with hydrocortisone with aloe, and went away. I am very fair complexion, and sunburn easily. I believe six weeks of radiation would have had a worse effect on my skin due to the large area treated. The nipple is where the SAVI device was pointed. That nipple is darker than the other, but I don’t care.

My radiation team and RO were the best!! Caring, considerate, and they gave lots of soft hugs!! There was no pain from the treatment itself, just the sound of clicking as the seed went into each tube and sometimes a tiny vibration.

So, talk to your surgeon and get a second opinion if need be. My surgeon did say that if I got cancer again in the same breast in a different area, I could have full breast radiation after surgery if need be, but if I got full breast radiation the first time and got cancer again in that breast, I could not have radiation and would need a mastectomy. I did not give that much concern at the time because I was leaning towards the SAVI anyway, so perhaps your doctor will be able to clarify that for you.

I know thus is a tough decision. It is your body and a lot to think about. You have to make an informed decision.

Best of luck to you. Keep in touch with us.

• Tampa59
    Tampa59 Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2018
    Options

This is SO much good information and THANK you so much PatsyKB, CEANNA AND IRISHGIRL71. I didn't expect even half this much for a response and truly appreciate all the wonderful information and insight. It is definitely helpful in making my decision and some great tips if I move forward with this process.

Interesting for me is both the oncologist and surgeon said I appeared to be an ideal candidate for this - very similar with initially sized at 1.2CM, final was .9CM,clean nodes, clean margins, IDC and Grade 1A. I think I have just encountered a radiologist who is not a fan of the option, and I'm not as thrilled with the radiology team. For the most part, the care I've received has been excellent and maybe my experience with this team will turn around. I am looking forward to speaking with the surgeon on Tuesday. Everything she told me has happened exactly the way she said. As the oncologist explained to me, they meet weekly and talk about their cases. The advancements and knowledge they have gained helps them in dealing with every case.

Yes, I've learned every case is different but there are many who sound like they have trekked similar paths and that is beyond helpful. I am relieved the cancer is out and know that this is the next stage in the journey. I'm pretty sure I'll take the Savi route and will provide updates also since I know how much the information in this board has helped me already. Yes, I'm still scared about it; I'm not good with pain and I'll hope that it'll be minimal. I didn't take the Valium before the surgery but I think since the surgeon's office is recommending I take it before the insertion, I will.

Again, thank you so much for all this information and support. I really do appreciate it.

• ceanna
    edited June 2018
    Options

Tampa, glad you have more info to work from and hope your surgeon and radiologist supports whatever decision you make. Perhaps having SAVI would put you with a different radiology team. At my center, not every radiologist did SAVI. My team was headed by a specialist in brachytherapy using SAVI.

Let us know how we can support you. All the best for your appointments this coming week.

• PatsyKB
    edited June 2018
    Options

Happy dancing in the shower! Well, maybe not dancing exactly, but certainly HAPPY! My SAVI insertion incision closed up nicely as of last night so this morning I took a blissful shower and I'll tell you, it was the best shower ever (except perhaps the one I took after 7 days and nights camping along the Colorado River on our Grand Canyon rafting trip...THAT may have this one beat).

Feeling pretty good, although I did discover that without the support of the cast-iron-sports-bra the radiation oncology folks gave me, my affected breast was pretty damned sore. So back in we went. I'll just keep this one on because it feels safe and comfortable.

The hardest part of this recovery-from-SAVI time is, so far, after a mere 3 /12 days, is that I feel like I can do more than I am allowed to do. So I have to mentally monitor everything I do (does it weigh 10 lbs or more? STOP! am I straining or working hard at something? STOP!). Fortunately, I have quiet stuff to catch up on - my journal (an uncharacteristic pastime for me), reading, computer work (including the never ending photo work), fabric work (I am a quilt maker and sometime-fabric/mixed-media artist; currently doing mindless fabric-stash-using block-making for baby and toddler quilts). So I hope I can keep myself confined to my daily long walks and light stretching.

• PatsyKB
    edited June 2018
    Options

And by the way, all of you, in case you have not yet met with your MOs and in case your MO ordered the OncotypeDX, a major study has just released its results and it is very clarifying.

Read it here; print it out if it might be relevant; and discuss with your MO. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/most-women-with-common-type-of-early-stage-breast-cancer-can-skip-chemo/2018/06/03/8a666228-5f63-11e8-9ee3-49d6d4814c4c_story.html?utm_term=.3c9cb03946b5

• Irishgirl711
    edited June 2018
    Options

Patsy,

Great article and glad you could finally finally take that long, hot shower! I can understand the camping analogy, too, having had several like that myself (great to get home and wash hair and body thoroughly!).

I must say that even today, I have a great appreciation for a hot shower after being deprived duringvSAVI.

Thanks for the informative article. I am sure now and future “SAVI sisters” will now be better informed.

Tampa,

Good luck with your appointments this week. Let us know what is going on.