Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Savi radiation treatment

Options

Comments

• Irishgirl711
    Irishgirl711 Member Posts: 88
    edited November 2017
    Options

I was told to use hydrocortisone cream with aloe. It seemed to help. Sorry for the typos. I was using a tablet. Seemed to autocorrect or something. Hang in there. Things will get better. I consider myself lucky to have this treatment vs six weeks of external radiation. I think it does wreak havoc on your skin but things will get better. Good luck to you

• Mariposa17
    Mariposa17 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2017
    Options

just left follow up appointment- I have a yeast infection by my site. Hopefully it will be cleared up in two weeks. I am ready for exercise real!!

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited November 2017
    Options

Mariposa, sorry you encountered additional problems with the wound. Hope yeast infection clears quickly. All the best to everyone.

• Irishgirl711
    edited November 2017
    Options

Oh my goodness. Hope it clears up quickly. At least you know what the problem is and that it can be treated. Best of luck to you.

• NewbieAnn
    NewbieAnn Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    Options

Completed 5 days of SAVI a week ago. Reading other's posts I feel really lucky! Glad I was able to do SAVI, seven wire mini, almost zero pain, little discomfort, moved carefully as it was weird to have the device inside/outside and slept on my back on a bed wedge. Nurses did all the bandaging and supplied a surgi bra. I surprised them the last day of treatment by sewing sequins on the bra! I was however really tired treatment week. The only thing I'd do different is put a sleeping bag and pillows in the car and sleep between treatments each day (too far a distance to go back and forth between treatments). SAVI removal was painless, nurse applied numbing solution before it was removed. Lumpectomy was 1/5/18, margin clean up surgery 2/9/18 and SAVI placed 3/1/18 so I had time to heal between incisions. 64 days start to finish, yay! Downside I am sensitive to neomycin, contact dermatitis was an itchy oozing mess. If you see blisters or know you are sensitive antibiotic ointments mention it!!

• Irishgirl711
    edited March 2018
    Options

I am glad that things went well for you. I agree that while the SAVI was uncomfortable, removal was painless. I am glad I had this option also. I have had my six month follow up mammogram and RO and oncologist appointments and so far so good, but the radiologist told me the breast is still swollen. I still have a lumpy feeling in my breast but minimal scarring.

Take your time and relax. You may feel tired in the coming weeks so don’t push yourself. You have been through a lot and need time to heal. Let us know how you are doing.

• ceanna
    edited March 2018
    Options

Newbie, glad to hear the treatment went so well for you. Hope the contact dermatitis clears quickly. Irishgirl, good to hear from you and happy your followup app't went well.

• Kiki13
    Kiki13 Member Posts: 245
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi Newbie, I had SAVI radiation treatment over 3 years ago. I still check in on this thread from time to time, and am happy to report I've had no problems at all. So glad I was able to go this treatment route. Best of luck!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited March 2018
    Options

NewbieAnn, welcome to Breastcancer.org, and really happy for you that you have that behind you, and that all went well!! ThumbsUp

• Dustien
    Dustien Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi All! Well, countdown to Savi being placed... March 28th with radiation beginning the 29th. 5 weeks after surgery. I really wanted it sooner, but couldn't get the radiation doc, my doc and the savi machine all lined up together until the 28th.

I'm already fighting moderate to severe burning pain in my breast from nerves waking up and/or interferring with scar tissue (according to my surgeon). He gave me a prescription for Percocet when I went in to see him today to measure the cavity in my breast for the Savi. I know I won't need them the day they place the Savi since they are going to be numbing me, but I'm going to be glad to have them on hand if needed after placement so I'm hoping to be able to use them sparingly this week. I just pray this pain I'm having now lessons by then. I can't imaging this burning nerve pain and pain of the Savi at the same time.

I do plan on turning my cars drivers side seat into a comfy bed and sleeping between treatments. The drive to the radiation treatement location is 35 minutes so I see no reason to drive there and back two times a day. I've a question though...will I be able to drive myself? I hate to put my husband through more then just going with me for the Savi placement as well as the 1st day of radiation if I don't have to.

Thanks!

• Irishgirl711
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi, DustieN,

I had my surgery in July and SAVI placed a couple of weeks later.

My surgeon had me take an antibiotic in the waiting room before she placed the SAVI. I don’t think that I took any Percocet thereafter, but did take ibuprofen because I found the device a little uncomfortable, (like having a golf ball in my breast), but not really painful, unless I inadvertently brushed it against something, and I was told not to sleep on my side so as not to dislodge or “crush” it. I, too, had “nervejolt” pain after the original surgery, possibly from the scar tissue, healing, etc.

I still had some pain after the SAVI was removed, and even now occasionally get a cramp or jolt, but I would not say it is very painful. It is only on occasion and my RO said that my breast was still swollen at my six month checkup in January, so it may even be from that.

I know that some other people on this forum said that they drove themselves and some even said they made appointments around a work schedule, so there are some amazing women who did not let this stop them.

I did drive myself to some of the appointments, but my husband also took me (and bought me a dozen roses and took me out for a celebratory fancy dinner after my last appointment!). But, I had the SAVI in my right breast and the seatbelt cut right over it, so I had to buy a seatbelt diverter that moved the cross belt over a few inches so it did not hurt. You may be able to use a large safety pin or clothespin to hold it away if you can’t find the diverter (I think I got mine at the luggage section of KMart where they sell luggage locks and travel supplies).

All in all, I am happy to have been a candidate for the procedure, and consider myself lucky that I did not need six weeks of radiation therapy.

I hope you do well with your treatments. Let us know how you are doing and there are many people on this forum that will be happy to answer any questions or let you know what to expect.

Good luck

• ceanna
    edited March 2018
    Options

Dustien, wishing you well for the treatment you have lined up. I did drive myself to all appointments and also had time between the twice dailies--it was too far to drive twice a day. I felt fine during treatment and went to a bookstore, read in a sunny room at the hospital, or had lunch with friends during those five days. It probably helped that at the time of treatment, it was cold weather and I could keep a coat on and didn't have to concern myself with clothing fit over the device. I just wore a fleece jacket over a breast binder and could just unzip the jacket for each treatment without having to change clothes. My breast center also had a waiting room with a large puzzle going so a few of us got to know each other over puzzle making!

I, too, had nerve pain from healing. It eventually went away but I still can have a little "glitch" now and again!! Maybe that's just because I'm getting old!!!

All the best to you and let us know how you're doing.

• Dustien
    edited March 2018
    Options

Ceanna and IrishGirl, thanks so much for sharing your story. I'm so glad I'll be able to drive. Maybe on the last day, since it's a single treatment, I'll have my husband drive me and buy me a nice lunch. Roses would be great, but he's too practical for that. I wouldn't put a single rose past him though, or even a vase full of hand picked daffodils or tulips. ;-) .

Thanks for sharing your stories with me too. You make it sound like it's not going to be too awful. I'll just be glad when it's over though. And, I too, am greatful I can do this instead of the weeks of radiation.

Thanks! At least I'll feel comfortable that I will be able to drive myself.

• mielli
    mielli Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hello Dustien, I'm happy to hear you are set up to begin your radiation treatment with SAVI. I had mine placed 5 weeks after surgery. The surgeon numbed the area well, and I did not have pain until the numbing wore off in several hours. I did take a Norco left from my surgery that evening and again before bedtime. I didn't need it after that. When it was removed by the radiation oncologist, he numbed with Novacaine prior to my treatment, and I felt only a few seconds of mild pain as it was coming out. I did take another Norco that evening before sleeping, but may not have needed it.

While SAVI was in, as others have said, I guarded against being bumped, and I did not sleep on my right side (my favorite position). It was "uncomfortable" at times, not painful.

I did have fatigue develop after about the 6th treatment of 10, and it persisted for about 9 days after treatments ended. I had planned to drive myself to each treatment, but when the fatigue developed, I really did not feel well enough to drive safely. I'm sure I could have if I had to, but my husband took me.

9 days after treatments, I woke up feeling well physically and emotionally! I have had good cosmetic affects so far. The dull pink I developed about half way through treatment is gone. I have a seroma which does not need to be drained and is not painful. Incisions are healing well; no drainage after day of removal!

Now, a couple weeks later, I feel it went quickly and was really very tolerable! I wish you well! Please keep us informed!

• Dustien
    edited March 2018
    Options

Mielli, Thank you so much for that run down. You sound so positive and I hope all goes as well as it seemed to for you. I did think that maybe two weeks after were going to be pretty much given over to fatigue. I'm glad to hear it was only 9 days for you before you started feeling more energetic and that you're doing fine now. You gave me a lot of hope! Thank you for that. I'm also glad to hear your's was also 5 weeks after surgery and it was still doable without a great amount of pain. My Surgeon did give me a prescription for the burning pain I'm feeling now due to nerve endings being mess with and there should be plenty left to cover anything I might need due to the Savi and radiation. From your story it sounds like I'll only need it on the 1st and last day of the treatment. I'm so glad to hear that and so hope all goes as well for me! Thanks!

• ceanna
    edited March 2018
    Options

Dustien, you may want to check with your doctor before the 28th about taking a preventive antibiotic when the device is in. Pain and fatigue vary by the person so plan to have options for pain relief, if needed, and if you want to drive yourself or not. You can always change options as you have the need. You're not going to be running marathons; just take it easy and be good to yourself as far as diet, sleep, walking, and relaxation go and you should do well. Let you husband pamper you! You won't be able to take a shower while the device is in so plan ahead for sponge baths and have someone lined up to wash your hair. That first shower after the device is removed is wonderful! Make sure you have the nurses show you how to change the wound coverage over the weekend while the device is in, and ask all the questions you need to with your care team or here on the thread. All the best! Ceanna

• mielli
    edited March 2018
    Options

Dustien, Ceanna's reply to you (above) is perfect! Every individual will react somewhat differently, but please DO take it as a time to rest and relax whenever you can! I took naps between my 2 treatments almost every day. And by the way, my surgeon prescribed an antibiotic (Cipro) for 10 days, starting with day of insertion of SAVI. I forgot to mention that. Best to you!

• Dustien
    edited March 2018
    Options

Had the Savi Device placed yesterday...The placement procedure itself wasn't bad at all. The numbing of the breast wasn't very painful and the rest was just pushing, pulling, that sort of thing. But about 5 hours after the pain was bad...a 7 on the 10 point pain scale I'd say. Luckily, thanks to this forum, i expected some pain and asked my Dr. for a prescription ahead of time. Took about 15 minutes for the Percocet to kick in but when it did I was fine.

Today was set up for the treatments and the 1st treatment. I did take two tylonol and it seemed help relax me and with pain. The Doctor is great and the staff was wonderful. So, so far so good. Not the way I would have wanted to spend my early spring days, but it's doable... two days down, five to go (not counting the weekend in the mix).

• Irishgirl711
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hu, Dustien,

Sorry that you had a lot of pain after the insertion, but I am glad that you are now getting your treatments. It will be over before you know it. Take care of yourself. Get lots of rest and let yourself heal. I also had a weekend without treatment, but in the beginning, not the end. It is inconvenient, but still much better than several weeks of full chest radiation.

Let us know how you are doing. Sending hugs and good thoughts your way.

• ceanna
    edited March 2018
    Options

Dustien, sorry for the pain but glad to hear treatment is going well. I, too, had a great group for treatment and they made me very comfortable by placing pillows and padding under knees and arms so my back would be eased during the setup and treatment. By this time next week it will be a thing of the past!! Hope your husband is pampering you!! Update us when you can. Gentle hugs!!

• mielli
    edited March 2018
    Options

Dustien, I'm happy that your treatment is underway and you are managing your symptoms. My last treatment was March 6, and it already feels like a long time ago! Best to you this weekend. Rest and take care, and keep us informed when you feel up to it.

• Dustien
    edited March 2018
    Options

2nd day of treatment (yesterday) was more painful...it's coming from the incision site where the savi goes into the breast. When the Doctor puts in the catheters, he jiggles the device and it feels like I'm being stuck with a flaming red poker..and it continues to burn through the treatment and beyond. After the 2nd treatment for the day, when I got to my car, driving or no, I had to take a percocet. I'm off for the weekend, thank goodness. I fell asleep in the chair last night and slept all night (unusual for me) and then after a half hour up earlier today went back to sleep till after 4 PM. I slept nearly 24 hours with just a couple of bathroom breaks.

I did take my Ipod and listened to a book on tape during the proceedure. I also took my sleeping mask and that helped me relax even further, though they do have pretty spring cherry blossoms on the ceiling to stare at. I told them they needed to put a TV up there with a slideshow of beautiful nature photos to watch and birds singing.

Monday when I go in, I'm taking a percocet about 20 minutes before treatment, hoping then I don't have the same pain I had yesterday. I sleep in the car in the parking lot till 2nd treatment, so I won't be driving. Hopefully it will last through the 2nd treatment to cover the pain, but will be gone enough for me to drive home ok.

• mielli
    edited April 2018
    Options

Oh, Dustien, I am so sorry for your painful experience! I had nothing like that during treatment. When they attached the external catheters to the long catheters of the "robot" device which delivered the "seeds," I felt absolutely nothing. I was aware of some vibration when the seeds entered into my breast, and in the later days of treatment perhaps felt some mild warmth -- not bad enough to call it burning or painful. The breast pains that occasionally shoot through our surgical sites, which all of us can occasionally feel long after surgery and treatments, I'm told, are likely due to nerves that were cut or damaged during those procedures. I'm not trying to diagnose you, but I wonder if nerve pain is what you are experiencing! That could be "burning" pain! Are you letting your radiation oncologist know about this pain? Were you given antibiotics to take so that the incision where Savi was inserted would not become infected? I had Cipro for 10 days during and a few days after treatment. I did sleep a lot during treatment and for a week or so after, naps between treatments, etc. Please be kind and gentle with yourself. Voice your concerns to your doctor, because they do seem out of the ordinary. Hoping for decreased discomfort and/or solutions for your pain by next treatments! Peace and comfort to you.

Mielli

• jkl2017
    jkl2017 Member Posts: 279
    edited April 2018
    Options

Dustien, I've got to agree with Mielli - what you're describing doesn't sound like my experience with the SAVI either. In fact, when the catheters were attached to the robot, it was done so gently I didn't feel a thing. If it hurts as much as you've indicated, pls let your RO know immediately. You didn't mention whether you're taking an antibiotic but I wonder if you might have an infection at the insertion site? Fatigue (even some discomfort) is normal, pain is not!

Hoping your pain disappears & that you breeze through the rest of your treatment. (You will feel instantly better when the device is removed after your final radiation!) Let us know how things go on Monday.

• Dustien
    edited April 2018
    Options

Well, I wish I were as fortunate as the two of you. I am on antibiotics to stave off any infections. I guarantee you it's not the surgery damaged nerves waking up or anything like that. I've had that pretty seriously starting two weeks after the surgery and in the last week before the treatment it was starting to lighten up (It's now been 5+ weeks after surgery). That nerve pain was focused mostly around and under the nipple and though I still feel it a bit, the Savi pain is definitely different and overshadows it.

Friday's treatment went from almost no pain before the 1st session to the pain starting as soon as he removed the bandage from Thursday's procedure and started tugging and messing with the Savi. Then, it lessened a bit when they took me to the Savi room, only to flair up worse when I had to do it all over again in the afternoon. I start out in the CT room where the bandage is taken off and the Dr. messes with the Savi. Then when I'd come out of the CT scan he'd do more messing with the Savi before taking me into the SAVI room. It's that tugging / adjusting that's causing all the pain. At one point I even said, Ouch! That Hurts! Then he wheeled me into the Savi room. Once there the hooking up and having the treatment wasn't painful, but the pain inflicted earlier just got worse. When it was over I told both the doctor and the nurse how badly it hurt. The Doc asked if I needed any pain medication. I told him I had some and he said that I should definitely take it. So I took a percocet as soon as I got out to the car.

Today at home (Saturday) I've taken Tylenol twice and though I'm uncomfortable, I can't say I'm really hurting. The incision area did start to itch, so I used an anti itch medicine on it and that helped. I'm sleeping in the recliner and keep waking and sleeping off and on. It's now 4:30 AM on April 1st. It would be wonderful if God would wake me and say...APRIL FOOLS! This whole cancer thing was just a joke! Now, go on about your life as if it never happe

Oh well, one can dream, can't they? Here's to 4 days down and 5 to go, then I can start to heal... I'm just not looking forward to those last 7 treatments! I'm hoping a percocet a day will keep the pain away!

• Irishgirl711
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi, Dustien,

I am sad to hear that you are having such a bad time. The only time that the doctor ever adjusted my SAVI, was when I had a fluid buildup around it, and the doctor had to deflate the SAVI, press on my breast and drain the fluid. The pain was awful. But, he only did it once and never touched it again until he removed it. I had nurses attach the probes and clean and dress the wound every time, and they were very careful and gentle and made sure they did not jar the SAVI. They took a CT scan every treatment to make sure it was in the same position. They put on gauze bandages gently tucked into my bra, (no tape, so as not to irritate the skin).I don’t know why your doctor manipulates the device every time. I would believe that would be very painful, since any time I inadvertently touched it (and once when someone gave me an enthusiastic hug), it felt like I had a rock in my breast and hurt.

I did have an infection from the lumpectomy incision, but the antibiotics that I took during the radiation treatment helped clear it up. I did not have an infection from the SAVI insertion site.

I did develop a “skin reaction” after the radiation treatment, though. It presented as itching and scaling skin particularly around the nipple, and persisted for a few weeks. I was told to use hydrocortisone with aloe and that helped.

I still get the nerve jolt pain, even though my treatment was finished 8 months ago, but it is not that frequent.

I do hope that the next seven treatments are not awful. I know that you will be tired and that you may feel tired for a long time afterwards, but your body needs time to rest and heal. This will all be over soon. Hang in there! Sending good thoughts and vibes your way.

• Dustien
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thank you Irish Girl. It could be that he's cleaning up the Fluid that's coming from my breast. Each time he's said I had fluid coming out, but that it was normal. Perhaps the joggling is him trying to get the fluid out each time... all I know is it ticks off the incision and it really hurts. It has hurt (and itched) off and on all weekend, but tynolol and has kept it in check. I will be taking Percocet each morning this week though, and in the afternoon if I feel I need one. Hopefully It will keep me from going through the pain I went through on Friday.

Tip to anyone doing this procedure... get your breast Doctor to give you a strong pain med prescription just in case. If you don't need it, great..but if you do, you'll be glad you have it!

I'm expecting to be tired but hope it goes away soon after this is all over. I want to be out enjoying the spring and the dogwoods blooming and birds nesting. My favorite time of year and I'm spending it doing this! ;-(

• Dustien
    edited April 2018
    Options

A percocet about a half hour before the first treatment helped tremendously! Half way though now...five more treatments to go and then I'm free!

• Irishgirl711
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hang in there! We are all rooting for you. This will all be over soon and you can begin to heal.

By the way, don’t wear any light colors on the day it is removed, just in case it gets “messy”. I made the mistake of wearing pink pants and when they helped me to sit up, fluid gushed onto the front of them

Luckily, it did wash out when I washed them right away, but they were jeans and a hardy material. They sent me home with a whole box of sterile gauze pads, but I had very little drainage. Only a little bit for a couple of days and the pad held it in place. They did not stitch up the wound. It healed well and I only have a tiny scar that is fading as the months pass.

Best of luck to you Dustien! I hope you will take some time to celebrate your victory when this is all over.

Your first shower will feel like heaven, too!

• Dustien
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thanks for that advice Irish Girl. I wouldn't have had any idea. Think I'll ask for a towel to be put down just to save having to worry about it. I do know I'm going to take a Percocet about 1/2 hour before that procedure. I'm going to be so happy this is all over, I'm not going to sweat the removal. I've decided to just imagine that I've been shot by an arrow and it has to be pulled out before they can tend to the wound. LOL! When I get shots I pretend that I'm a spy and they are giving me a dose of truth serum to try to get me to talk. I've done this kind of imagining to deal with pain since I was a young teen and have never given it up...

ONLY 3 MORE TREATMENTS, TWO TOMORROW AND ONE THURSDAY, AND THEN LET THE HEALING BEGIN~!