Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone starting chemo August 2016?

Options

Comments

• Hopefloatsinyyc
    Hopefloatsinyyc Member Posts: 97
    Options

Wenchlori, so glad to hear you are managing infusion #1 like a champ. I will definitely pick up some pickle juice! Great tip! Hang in there!!!

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027
    Options

I left the infusion center with the nulasta pump on the back of my arm. No one mentioned getting this little jewel before my appointment. Makes me jump when it sticks me lol

The poor woman in the chair next to me has an 8 hour infusion treatment. I feel for her deeply. My next infusion is in 2 weeks! Yay me! 😊

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894
    Options

Lori, I'm laughing at the Red Devil image. It reminds me of after my lumpectomy when the radioactive dyes were injected for the surgeon and the toilet turned "Tidybowl Blue" for a couple of days. We're just the rainbow girls! Glad things went smoothly! Did you order your pickle juice online, or where did you find it? I also heard it's excellent for leg cramps.

• karey59
    karey59 Member Posts: 49
    Options

hi everyone! Reporting in from the chemowars front lines. I just got home holding steady just tired but ok. Have nausea medicine ready to go. My chemo nurse was wonderful told me everything she was doing. Steroids are given iv for nausea she said i might get antsy later and feel like cleaning the house at midnight??? I dont know about that. Lori wench glad for the pickle juice

Will report back later with anything new. Nap time now i think....

• karey59
    Options

hi everyone! Reporting in from the chemowars front lines. I just got home holding steady just tired but ok. Have nausea medicine ready to go. My chemo nurse was wonderful told me everything she was doing. Steroids are given iv for nausea she said i might get antsy later and feel like cleaning the house at midnight??? I dont know about that. Lori wench glad for the pickle juice

Will report back later with anything new. Nap time now i think....

• WenchLori
    Options

DaraB, I was told about the leg cramps today also. We love pickels so I just took some out of the jars this morning :-)

Karey59, all the nurses talked me through everything also. Did they attach the Nulasta pod to the back of your arm? We did a little grocery shopping on our way home. I'm still waiting for my nap, I'm feeling a little lightheaded now. I'm still on restrictions so no house cleaning for me anytime soon.

I'll bbl with an update also.

• Hopefloatsinyyc
    Options

Karey/Lori... So happy to hear it went well... Lori, how much juice did you drink? I may pour some out of a jar here too- just not sure how much I should expect to need!

Hope you are both resting ok!

• darab
    Options

You can buy small cans, like regular juice, of just pickle juice on Amazon. My DIL worked with someone with MS whose therapist told her about the juice. She kept the little cans in her purse and just popped the tab when she'd start to get leg cramps. I"ll try and empty a jar for this first time, and then maybe order some.

So glad you both have sailed through the first one, and hope the rest of us do the same next week.

• fireheart438
    fireheart438 Member Posts: 85
    Options

djm71 - I'm right there with you. Got my port in today. I swear it feels more uncomfortable than my mastectomy/tissue expanders. I know that's an exaggeration, but it's just how I feel. Like you, I've had the occasional meltdown and have the same anxieties about chemo. I will start next Friday. Thankfully the surgeon said I can go back to work on Monday to light duty. Though I have appointments of some type every day (so I'll only work 1/2 days), it will be nice to have duties I have to focus on to take my mind off this stupid BC. My intention was to read books while I was off. One book done...most of my time was spent trying to educate myself and prepare for the next stage.

Dara - I read a little about the caps but decided it was more than I had time to prepare for. And if it didn't work it would be wasted time and money. I've gotten a bunch of cute hats and scarves online. Some arrived today. They are so soft and lovely. I am determined to embrace the new look. You will rock your wig and look great. Just remember that when you feel like you look your worst that your true beauty is the inner you.

Wenchlori - Congrats on getting #1 over with. Tell me more about the pickle juice, please.

• karey59
    Options

hi again new report im still awake as the nurse said the steroids are keeping awake I will need a xanax for sure. Lori wench I.go back for a nuelesta shot on sunday. Nurse said ill have some bone pain. Stil no nausea or vomiting. I took a pill at 10 will take another at 6

Will post another report on any new stuff but so far not to bad. The nurse said i might feel the worst on Sunday. I've also been drinking as much as i can, i think its helping. Thinking of everyone and hoping for the best

• WenchLori
    Options

Hope, I took about 4 oz but only used 1 or 2 oz. The nurses let me know when she was going to flush the saline. I'd put a small amount in my mouth and swished while she flushed the saline thru. I didn't use much at all really, except when I grabbed my bottle of PJ instead of my tea! Talk about a shock to your senses when your not expecting it!

Fireheart, I'm glad your port placement wasn't to bad. I also thought my port hurt more than my DBMX. Maybe that's because my BS placed it close to the port of my right TE?

A friend and a chemo patient told me about the pickle juice. It helps to prevent the horrible metallic taste when they flush your port with saline. It also helps with any leg cramps you may get. It worked great for me and I hope it works for anyone else that tries it. I just took a sip before they'd start the flush, she'd say "saline" and I swished it around until she told me "meds".

DaraB, I was wondering if chewing a little dill would work? I'm not sure if it's the combo of pickling salt, spices or all of it?

Karey59, it took me forever to take a nap also. It hit hard when it finally did hit! I slept great for about 2 hours. Now here I lay hoping to fall back to sleep again.

My Nulasta pod gave me an injection shortly after chemo treatment finished and will again tomorrow at 4 pm. I went to the bathroom and saw a flashing light in the window. I don't know how long I stood there trying to find where the lightening bug was before I realized it was my pod flashing. The cancer treatment center told me the pod was $200 cheaper than the shot and easier to get insurance approval on and not to mention the convenience of home treatment.

I took a nasusa pill at 10:30 pm, so far no nasusa or dry heaves and I'm praying it stays that way.

I'm going to try to fall asleep, I may be back sooner than later :-)

Hugs and prayers to All

• pisces74
    pisces74 Member Posts: 1
    Options

looks like I may be joining the August 2016 club.....still digesting everything, will be getting port apparently very soon. Scared to pieces about chemo

• WenchLori
    Options

Good morning everyone! I hope this Saturday morning brings calming vibes to All!

Welcome pisces74, it's a lot to get your head wrapped around but you've come to the right place. We are all here for you. I was very nervous about getting my port placement too. It's very reasonable to feel that way. I was scared as I was told I'd be aware of what was happening but I wouldn't remember any of it. When my anateseaologist asked how I'd like it to be done, I said knock me out please!! I was surprised when he said "As you wish" it made me laugh and think of "The Princess Bride". As it turns out it's one of his favorite movies too. It's taken me about a week to get used to it but for the most part I don't know it's there now. Well, that's not entirely true... I know it's there when I get a fill or have a treatment, other than that it just sits in the background waiting :-)

"The morning after" is going great so far. I slept like a rock once I fell asleep, even slept through my nasusa meds alarms during the early morning doses. I had a slight panic attack this morning as I couldn't stay awake. It was hilarious once I told myself to knock it off and just go back to sleep! So, as you can tell by now that I'm fully awake and functioning!

I smell my wonderful hubby is getting breakfast ready and I know his first words will be "It's wonderful to see that you're alive! Are you hungry?" Then "What movie will we be watching today?" I have The Princess Bride laying on my dresser. I love him to pieces!

BBL

• nye1980
    nye1980 Member Posts: 15
    Options

WenchLori, so glad you're feeling well! I was absolutely shattered the day after chemo and slept all day long. Hope the coming days are equally good.

• Hopefloatsinyyc
    Options

Lori... Your account of morning one post chemo brought tears to my eyes knowing you are being so strong and keeping your sense of humor! Inspiring to those of us coming up behind you.... Enjoy your rest- and your movie! Will be interested to hear how food tasted!

• darab
    Options

Lori so glad things aren't too bad. This first cycle, I'll go back in to hops for my neulasta shot, but then I think I will request the pod. I have about an hour drive to get there and then 1 1/2 hr drive home. (yuck) I'm also wondering since, at least for this round, I won't have a port so I may not need the pickle juice.

Pices, welcome, although sorry you have to be here. I, too had a hard time getting my head around chemo. I was told there was very little chance I'd need chemo, but then a genome test came back high risk, so here I am. We're all here for you, and certainly help each other both get ready for the process and commiserate if there are challenges.

Fireheart, I too, decided to forego the caps. It seemed a big time commitment for not guarantee, and then you have to be so delicate with your hair, no blow drying etc., so I figured my hair that remained wouldn't look that great anyway. I ordered a few cute scarves, hat, and had bought a wig when first dx.

All ...have a good Saturday, hope all feel OK this weekend.

• darab
    Options

MFabella, how are you doing? Haven't seen anything since you started this thread, (which we all appreciate), and wondered if you have a plan yet?

• WenchLori
    Options

MFabella, I was wondering the same as DaraB. I hope all is well and we'd all love to hear how you are doing? {{{MFabella}}} you are in all of our thoughts and prayers.

Love you bunches!!

• WenchLori
    Options

Here's a picture of my Nulasta pod. I don't have an i-pod but I do have an a-pod :)

• sensitivehrt
    sensitivehrt Member Posts: 310
    Options

WenchLori  -How was breakfast?  Were you able to eat?  How are you feeling today?

• WenchLori
    Options

Hi Sensi, I couldn't have what my hubby cooked it was to spicy hot for me. He made me a plan yogurt with mixed fresh berries and agave in it. It was yummy! I still have my tastes buds but maybe not for long.

I'm tired but so far so good. Not nauseous at all yet. I don't need the pills but I take them as directed. I'm told it's like pain, if you can keep ahead of it your golden. I'm drinking lots of fluid so I've already passed the "red devil" chemo.. I think?

I went to my local Olcott Cancer Center and they gave me a cookbook for chemo treatment. My DH and I went over it and made a list, he went shopping while I was finishing up my chemo treatment. I have no idea what he's picked for dinner but it smells wonderful! He seems to be really enjoying cooking again. One of the top 10 reasons I made him marry me! Haha

I'll keep you all posted

(((((All)))))

• darab
    Options

Lori, that looks so doable, and so much better than going back in for an injection. I'm going to ask for that the next time. I don't think they can get it ordered in time for Monday. This first round is sort of an experiment... no port, go back in for nulasta.. who knows what else. I'm sure that just as with waiting, the anticipation is worse than reality. Hope you continue to feel ok.

• karey59
    Options

hi again. Im feeling awfully tired today. I tried to walk to the mailbox and thought i was going to fall over. Lori, are you having any se,s from the Nuelesta. I get that tomorrow. I think the realization that i have 1 more year of hercepton weekly is sinking in my brain and i have the poor me's. Hopefully i will feel better later my husbands out getting us something to eat. I knew i should have cooked and frozen some stuff, big mistake not to.

• MFalabella
    MFalabella Member Posts: 105
    Options

Pisces, You and I are about the same place. I have no real news yet, and havent had my port placement yet. Know that we are all here for you, as we begin this lap of the journey together, much love and light to you and gentle hugs

xoxoMichelle

• MFalabella
    MFalabella Member Posts: 105
    Options

Hi all, had a setback with an infection in my surgical site, right breast was red, hot and hard to the touch. It has finally gotten to a better place and I am still taking lots of antibiotics. As far as a treatment plan, I hope to find out on the 16 when I FINALLY see my MO. Thanks all for your concern and I love you all too. I will keep you posted.

xoxoMichelle

• WenchLori
    Options

No SEs from Nulasta yet, it's been 5 hours since injection so it may be early yet. Taking the pod off was a nerve wracking experience, hubby and I had no idea what to expect. Now that he knows where the needle is it should be easier next time.

The dinner hubby cooked tonight was wonderful and very tasty. This cookbook uses more amounts of spices so they are more appetizing. Every time I get on here I want to add the name of the cookbook but it's not near me and I'm just to lazy to go get it. Boogers

Still no nasusa troubles, keeping fingers crossed it stays away :-)

BBL

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 768
    Options

I don't see the MO until 8/16, but hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions.

1) Do you have to keep your nails in ice the entire time? I'm trying to envision reading on a Kindle (my "go to" since I can crank up the font size). That means a lot of page turning.

2) I think I recall reading about pickle juice in a People's Pharmacy column years ago. It needs to be dill, right?

3) Do you think it will be difficult to remove the Neulasta pod if you live alone? (I have two 45 pound dogs, but don't think they would be good candidates for this job.)

JanetCO , unless I missed it, I think you and I may be the only triple negative ladies here. (I think I'm triple negative; my core needle biopsy showed ER- PR- HER2+.) MFalabella , OUCH! I'm so sorry to hear about the infection. It must be challenging to get mentally prepared to see the MO only to face a delay. We'll be at the MO the same day. I see the B.C. in the morning (and wonder if she'll have to drain this blasted seroma for a third time) and the MO in the afternoon. A fun day of cancering! ShockedWinking

• fireheart438
    fireheart438 Member Posts: 85
    Options

WenchLori - Thanks for the info about the pickle juice. Definitely going to look into that.

This crazy port made me feel lousy today. I suppose I will get used to it. Sure hope so because it's in for a year. Ugh! Made hubby take me to Costco to stock up on a few things we needed. He was my work horse lifting all the heavy things. I wanted to stockpile some oatmeal and went to grab it off the stack. He scolded me and said it was too heavy...I think he was right. (Jealous of your cooking hubby, Lori. My husband's idea of cooking is takeout or grilled cheese.)

Welcome, Pisces74. Sorry you have to join our club, but we will all be here for you. I know how you feel about digesting it all. My original diagnosis was DCIS, and I opted for BMX to prevent having to deal with more. But my multiple lumpectomies never found the Stage 1 CA, and if I'd gone with the 2nd relump and RAD. Not excited about chemo, but grateful to have found this and have a chance to get treatment.

VLH - Chuckled at the thought of your dogs helping to remove the pod. I'm pretty sure our one cat COULD do it. I'll rent him out if you'd like.Happy

MFalabella - So sorry to hear about your infection. I had an area of necrotic tissue that concerned me. The PS didn't think it was bad...but then it wasn't on his body.

Lots of appointments coming up this week AND heading back to work for 1/2 days. Just want to get some semblance of normal before my first chemo on the 12th. Besides, if I manage to stay busy maybe I won't obsess.

Hugs to all!

• darab
    Options

MFabella, so very sorry about the infection. It does seem like we have enough we're dealing with and shouldn't have to have "extra" challenges doesn't it? Hope the infection clears quickly.

Karey, hope your neulasta shot goes smoothly today. I opted for the injection the first time, but will request the pod for next time.

Hope all have a nice Sunday. I'm packing my chemo bag and will be leaving around 7 am tomorrow for Day 1.

• WenchLori
    Options

VLH, I don't think there would be a way that I could have removed the Nulasta pod myself. It's placed so far back on the upper arm I wouldn't be able to reach it. There's the small needle to be concerned about with removal. I'd be scared to take it off myself and make the needle site more aggravated, but that's just me :-)

I only used about 2 oz of pickle juice. Ask your nurse to let you know when she/he is going to flush your port so you can be ready. My nurse told me when to sip and it worked great. I'd take a small sip and swished it around in my mouth and once the flush was done I swollowed the juice.

BBL