Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone starting chemo August 2016?

Options

Comments

• kechla
    kechla Member Posts: 181
    Options

I will be starting sooner than I thought. Finishing up rads on the 17th and starting TC on the 25th. Need to make a decision soon on cold capping. If I knew I would not have permanent hair loss, I think I'd skip it... But taking taxotere... Anyone here on taxotere using them?

I've picked up some good tips here for my chemo bag. What are some of the things you've found the most beneficial?

Starting to feel a little nervous...

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894
    Options

There are a number of people on the lumpectomy site who were all on TC and they said their hair started coming back about a month after chemo. I thought the taxotere was not as harsh, but maybe it's the TC combo I'm thinking of. I really considered cold capping, and people say it does help preserve some hair, but you may still lose some. It takes quite a bit of care (or being very delicate with hair during treatment. I made the decision to pass, but completely understand why women try it, especially younger women. I also didn't have enough lead time to rent ($500/mo) and would have needed quite a few caps, plus ordering the dry ice and thermometer. Let us know though how it works if you use them.

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 768
    Options

Interesting, Lori. I guess I would have to find a non-squeamish friend with steady hands to pluck out the depleted pod. ;-)

Regarding the pickle juice, I see that I typed fill instead of dill. Doh!

• Kenzielulu
    Kenzielulu Member Posts: 9
    Options

thanks to everyone for all the posts. I start tomorrow, same as darab! Wenchlori, ur info is fabulous. Helps me to stay calm today. Hugs to al

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027
    Options

Hi everyone, I've spent most of the day sleeping. I feel a bit drained but other than that not to bad. My food still tastes like food so that's good. No nasusa problems yet, but keeping my fingers crossed!

VLH, I did use dill pickle juice :)

MFalabella, how are you doing with recovery from your infection? Praying all goes well from here on!

Good luck and prayers going out to DaraB, Kenzielulu, Scarysadday on day #1 of chemo tomorrow!! You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

BBL

• fireheart438
    fireheart438 Member Posts: 85
    Options

Will be praying for you Dara as you face day 1. Keep us posted on how you do.

I'm thinking I may need a chemo suitcase instead of a bag. Haha!

• Tunegrrl
    Tunegrrl Member Posts: 151
    Options

I'm in, probably starting around Aug 16th. Unless recent additional biopsies require us to adjust the plan, i'll be having neoadjuvant Taxotere, Cyclophosphamide and Herceptin.

In other news, this is my first post! :)

• darab
    Options

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. You all are really keeping me sane and calm! Good luck also Scarysadday and Kenzielulu! I hope we all have few to no side effects.

Lori, I'll let you know about my pickle juice. I sent DH to the store for a bottle of pickles and he brought home sweet pickles. Keep your fingers crossed.

Fireheart, don't feel bad, I think I need a chemo trunk! Hugs to everyone and hoping tomorrow is a good day whether having, recovering from, or waiting for chemo.

• fireheart438
    Options

Welcome Tunegrrl! We're all in this together.

Funny about the sweet pickles, Dara. Sounds like something my hubby would do.

• fireheart438
    Options

WenchLori...somehow I missed your post the first time I read through. So glad you had a decent day and that your food still tasted like food. I was thinking of eating all my favorite foods in the next 4 days before my chemo begins.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,980
    Options

Tunegrrl, indeed, welcome to our community. Yes, all in this together! So glad you posted, and are meeting other wonderful people to help guide you through.

Medicating

• Scarysadday
    Scarysadday Member Posts: 27
    Options

hugz to all. Dun think I will be able to sleep much tonight.....extremely nervous of what's coming down the road.....really appreciate all the support....xoxoxox

• Scarysadday
    Options

I am thinking if I should cut my extremely long hair short tonight or wait til I started....

• fireheart438
    Options

Scarysadday - I hope you got some sleep. Will be thinking of and praying for you today. I understand your apprehension about your hair. I was in the process of growing mine back out when I got the diagnosis. Went for a short cut and ordered some hats and scarves. Am thinking I may want to shave it off before it can fall out. While I think I could deal with gradual thinning, I'm not sure what my emotional reaction would be if a huge clump came out. Yes, I've got the hats on hand...but there's still that initial shock. If I shave it now, I kind of feel like I'm taking control of the situation. Told my husband I was going to get that mohawk I'd always joked about. All that to say, hang in there. You are definitely not alone. Please post later today and let us all know how day 1 went. ((HUGS))

• Hopefloatsinyyc
    Hopefloatsinyyc Member Posts: 97
    Options

scarysadday...I too understand the hair struggle. Mine is down to my lower back and I am going to cry A LOT when it falls. I ended up buying a wig and some halos for under hats as I my kids are scared to see me without. I wont be cutting my hair because my wig is also long. When I start to shed I will go in to the wig salon who specializes in cancer patients and they will buzz my hair and fit my wig. That will surely be a hard day.

• UnwillingParticipant
    Options

I guess I will be starting this month - my port will be inserted on Aug. 17.  How long after the port insertion do they start treatments?  I go on the 12th - this Friday -  to learn how to take care of the thing.  Is there much to do?  What is required?

SWEET pickle juice, or DILL pickle juice?

• AnnieTater
    AnnieTater Member Posts: 57
    Options

Hi everyone!

I recognize a few of you from the July surgery group. :)

I start AC on Thursday, 8/10. I have the same feelings many of you seem to be having - fear of hair loss, nausea, pain....

I am working full time, have a 4-year-old at home, and am 5 months pregnant, so I hope I can keep it together.

I already appreciate reading through all your posts to see what to expect! Thanks!

Annie

• karey59
    karey59 Member Posts: 49
    Options

hi again. At home still. Still fatigued on 3rd day but still hanging on. I hope everyone is doing ok , Dara i think we have the same regimineof chemo. Lori wench are you still taking nausea meds. I didnt take any today but i looked at my dinner and took one.clonozopine. Welcome annie tator! Still praying for every one for no side effects.

• Scarysadday
    Options

hi all, my first infusion was done 4 hours ago....infusion part was not bad atall, with the kind nurses, went by pretty quickly...I went for a late big lunch afterwards, and to shoppers to get a thermometer..showered when I got home and even did some work work on my laptop..I heard it doesn't kick in till day3 or 4.....? I am feeling a bit light headed now though....I'd been up since 5 am, barely slept last night(MO was not happy about that)....coz I had To do bloodwork early this am, same day infusion....so hopefully is tiredness..

Btw...didn't have the gut to cut my hair yet..I just wanna look normal for at least 1,2 more days....

How r the rest of the gang that started today? Hope everyone is feeling ok so far?

Hugz xoxoxo

• djm71
    djm71 Member Posts: 16
    Options

Looks like I'll be starting chemo tomorrow. I'm a nervous wreck. Saw my MO today for scan results, which were clear, and he said to start tomorrow. No mention of a chemo class which I was bummed about. Guess I need to get my chemo bag packed. I still can't believe I'm having to do this. For whatever reason my surgery didn't make it real, the chemo is what's making it real.

UnwillingPa, my BS told me that my port could be used the same day he put it in. Said it was good to go. Mine was put in on Thursday and I'm starting chemo tomorrow. So I would say whenever your MO says it's time, your port should be ready to go.

I'll report back in tomorrow and let y'all know how it went. I am REALLY thankful for everyone who posts updates. I find it extremely comforting to read other people's experiences and perspectives on everything. I love this site SO much!

Big hugs to everyone who just got started. Good luck to everyone fixing to start soon!We are all in this together!

• MFalabella
    MFalabella Member Posts: 105
    Options

Hi all, It looks like I will be doing Adriamycin and Taxotere chemo, I will know for sure when I meet with the MO next Tuesday, I hope all who started today are doing well, Gentle hugs to all

xoxoMichelle

• Kenzielulu
    Kenzielulu Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi all! Finished infuse about 3:30. All is well. Got my neulasta pod on arm at end of chemo, same as wenchlori! They drew blood before infuse, to check levels and then began anti nausea meds, followed by ac drugs. Felt no pain in port, just a slight pinch when they inserted needle. I did get light headed several times, but nothing major. I do have a slight headache, but not ready for Tylenol yet. It was weird, but I was a little nauseous on drive home, but don't know if it was from chemo or not. Could be in my mind. Anyway, ate some saltine crackers and all is well. I took my first nausea med within 30 minutes of arriving home.

Wenchlori, darab, and everyone else, please keep us posted with updates and hope all is well

• WenchLori
    Options

Good morning! I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know I'm still here. I slept all day Sunday and I had an appointment yesterday with my RO to get a plan in place for radiation once chemo is done.

I haven't had a chance to read everyone's posts yet but I will as soon as my coffee kicks in!

I'll be back in a few hours, unless I can't fall back to sleep. Then I'll be back sooner :-)

• darab
    Options

Good morning all. Sorry I didn't post yesterday, was following along on my phone, but I can't post through that and was just wiped out when I got home. Like Scary, I woke up at 2AM the night before and never got back to sleep, don't know if it was my premeds of steroids or just nerves. I had my labs, saw my oncologist with a few more questions, and then headed off the infusion lab. I was surprised that for longer infusions (BC) they have all little private rooms with TV, internet, etc. My nurse was beyond nice as was everyone. I was worried since I'm doing straight IV without port or pick line, but it was no problem. I'd been drowning myself with water and the nurse was so good at the IV. Took about 3 hours and I was fine the home time. Then had an hour drive home-- my stomach just ached a little but no nausea or anything. Had some homemade chicken noodle soup and just crashed when I got home. I think I slept for about 11 hours! Feel ok this morning, Just had a cup of coffee and taste buds seem fine so far. The chemo nurse said my cocktail takes a couple of days to have SEs set in so I'll see how things go.

Karey, did your MO give you any specifics about the possibility of permanent hair loss with taxotere? Don't want to scare anyone, but someone on another post mentioned it in response to my regimen, and some lawsuits going on so I'm a little freaked out now. I googled it this morning, but don't want to get all "wigged out" since I guess it's a bit late now.

Also, I had my chemo "trunk" all packed :-) brought my laptop to watch a movie, had snacks candies, and of course pickle juice! (The chemo nurse cracked up at that and said she'd never heard of that, but did talk about the claritin after the neulasta injection.) Anyway, didn't use any of it, just read on my kindle as did my DH. The nurses kept coming around offering snacks, sandwiches, drinks, etc. I think next time I'll travel light.

Lori, also learned that the metallic taste is with those with port, maybe because of the proximity of the mouth. My nurse said I shouldn't have that reaction since I'm going straight into the vein in my hand. When she flushed the IV, I had no problems.

Hope all else are doing well. I know the anticipation before hand is about as bad as the waiting for test results. I know SEs will probably still set in, but at least with one behind me I am dealing with it better. Thanks for all the good wishes and thoughts. Mine are with all of you starting this week. Will keep you posted. Dara

• karey59
    karey59 Member Posts: 49
    Options

hi everyone. Dara there is a lawsuit filed against taxetore as some women have suffered permanent hair loss not everyone. Im on 5th day since 1st infusion. Last night terrible leg cramps. Iknow a hot bath would have helped but l cant take a bath cause of recent histerectomy. I took tramedol and tylenol and was able to fall asleep. The chemo nurse said Sundayand monday would be the worst for side effects. I think the steroids were the worst. Im going to get something for sleeping for that. Does anyone know what the steroids are for?

• darab
    Options

Karey, try the pickle juice. I know it sounds weird, but I've know several people who used it and It works very quickly. My chemo nurse said the steroids are to better help your body accept the chemo. I thought they were for nausea, but she said that's the other part of the infusion and then the pills I have. I do have a prescription for Ambien 5 mg. which I did take last night and sleep just fine. I used to take it regularly, but now only when needed. I figured last night would be a good night. It worked like a charm.

• Scarysadday
    Options

Good morning ladies! Day 2 for me, and I am feeling completely normal? I know it's not supposed to kick in till day 3 or 4 but I will take any normal days as a blessing. I didn't take anything last night for the sleep but I slept ok. Likewise, I drank lots of water, but stopped at around 830pm, coz I didn't wanna get up all night to go....slept at 930, got up once at 230am to go to the washroom, back to sleep. I forced my self to get up at 7am, coz I wanna be able to walk my girl to the bus stop for her camp....taste buds is fine, had an apple and peach this am...went to a nice trail for a long walk..now back home on the patio...off to the hospital later for my first neupogen shot....

Good luck to the ladies that are starting today..and also for thosein the up coming days...we r all in this together....hugz

Ps. First thing I check was to see if my hair was still there when I got up,,,paranoid...I REALLY need to have it cut soon before the scary scene arrives...

Have a good day everyone!

• AnnieTater
    AnnieTater Member Posts: 57
    Options

Good morning everyone!

Thanks to everyone who is posting their experiences. It certainly helps calm the nerves.

I am thinking about everyone starting today. Gentle hugs!

• djm71
    djm71 Member Posts: 16
    Options

I'm about halfway through my first infusion. It was SO weird watching the "red devil" make its way through the tube and into my port. My instinct was to rip the tube out and run, but I restrained myself. I had no idea the Benadryl would make me feel so loopy and "drunk." I've had Benadryl a million times, but never in IV form. I guess that's the difference? I got super sleepy, but that seems to have passed and so I'm just kinda hanging out and waiting for my bag to empty out. I was a little surprised at how much it hurt when they accessed my port the first time. It wasn't unbearable or anything, just didn't expect it to hurt like that. I think it's probably because I just got the port Thursday and so it hasn't had a chance to heal all that much. I've already calmed down a lot, just getting the first treatment started. The anxiety of how the first treatment will go was pretty intense for me, kinda like it was before surgery. Now that it's under way, I'm feeling much better!! I'll check in again later tonight. Hugs to everyone!

• WenchLori
    Options

I see we have a few new members here. Welcome to All!

DaraB, great info on only needing dill pickle juice for us port-o-girls!

AnnieTater, welcome! I recognized your name right away! You are a part of a very special group of ladies! How is your pregnancy progressing? Such a scary situation to begin with and you are caring for two during this stressful treatment. My heart and prayers go out to you!

Unwillingparticipant, I used dill pickle juice but I think if anyone is brave enough to try other things please share :-)

I wasn't given any extra care instructions for my port. Please let us know what you learn :-)

Karey and Dara, I've seen the legal action commercials on tv a lot recently for Taxetore (sp). Permanent hair loss would be a big issue for me too!

I may be the only one here that's not to worried about losing my hair. As it's been going on for awhile now. My MO told me my bald spots that I have now will grow back in with the rest after chemo... We'll see lol

As for my nausea medicines, I take them but not on a strict every 4 hour schedule. If I'm 6 hours instead of 4, I'm still good. At the least sign of nausea I'll take it. So far at 5 days out there are no signs of nausea. My food still tastes good, I had no appetite yesterday but it's back today! It's screaming for MAC N CHEESE!!!

Also, at any hint of a headache I take my Tylenol. I was told to nip it in the bud ASAP

Scarysadday, any signs of normalcy is a good sign! Yay!

I hope I didn't miss anyone! I've made a list for who is starting chemo when. It makes it a bit easier for me to remember. I feel bad when I forget someone :-/

Good luck today Janet! We'll all be in your pocket and sending calming vibes your way! You got this!!

BBL