Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone getting ready to start Radiation in Fall 2016?

Options

Comments

• Seraphima
    Seraphima Member Posts: 52
    Options

Thanks, LoveMyVizsla,

They may plan to give me more, but so far I don't have instructions like this. They have only given me a sheet describing what happens in first few appts and what's involved with scheduling. The RO talked a little about possibility of skin turning a little pink.

I had gathered some of that, and some of it fits what I'm already doing. I am surprised to hear you can't use cool packs. I never needed them after surgery, but I kept them cool and was thinking I'd have them for rads if needed. I guess they want to keep blood flow high or something.

Thanks for this. I am sure it would be useful all around. I'll have to see if my RO provides the cream to use.

• 2ND20
    2ND20 Member Posts: 19
    Options

I am starting in a couple of weeks. Hope to be able to work through it.

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    Options

Wow it's quiet in here! Had my first day today. Got to look at the images they took with the CT scan and the plan. She showed me how many ribs are affected, the part of my lung which will be in the field. I was in such a hurry to get dressed that I forgot to put my calendula cream on.

I can already tell that driving back and forth daily is going to get old, and fast.

• LifeAloft
    LifeAloft Member Posts: 69
    Options

Today is #4 and I'm already tired of the back and forth thing lol but I feel like I went for a week prior with all the sims and stuff I had to do (they had to do my plan twice).

The techs told me no creams until my skin starts to react, which is not what I learned on here! I see my RO tomorrow so I'm definitely going to ask him.

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214
    Options

Thank you so much LoveMyVizsla for posting the paperwork given...so helpful! At least I won't be going into it blindly, hope all is going well for you!

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

OK! I'm tatted up and ready to go. Not loving the whole snorkle thing! My Ro recommended Calendula cream but I thought I read about something on here that works better. What are you all using??

• ayr1016
    ayr1016 Member Posts: 156
    Options

I have my simulation this Friday and then start RADS the upcoming Monday. I already know the drive is going to get old quickly. It is about 30 miles each way, but the real problem is the traffic (it is downtown).

I have calendula, RadiaPlex (prescribed by RO), and aloe ready.

• LoveMyVizsla
    Options

Ayr, my trip is 82 miles each way, so hear you on the commute. It's only been two days for me.

Myra, some people recommend miaderm, which has calendula and aloe in it.

• Crunchy50
    Crunchy50 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Simulation last week. Dry run and first treatment today! 1 down, 29 to go. Worried about skin damage as I'm very fair and have sensitive skin. Have 100% aloe that I will use. Any recommendations for sensitive skin?

• Blahndie74
    Blahndie74 Member Posts: 18
    Options

14th treatment for me today. Starting to get irritation so my techs changed me from aloe gel to aquaphor.

• Seraphima
    Options

I have my first appt tomorrow - I guess for a simulation.

Now my oncologist wants a biopsy of something that popped up on my back a couple of days ago. I am wondering if that will change anything. I am thinking they plan to start Monday, but I still have stitches. I'm not sure if it's healed enough yet.

• Sara536
    Sara536 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

My radiation oncologist gave her patients a 7oz jar of Now Solutions Pure Lanolin. Her NP suggested warming it with a hair dryer If it is too thick but you don't want it to be liquid or hot.You will want to designate an old shirt to sleep in. I always put the goop on at night. It soaked into me and into the shirt overnight and I was still slightly sticky even after a shower in the morning. The rad tech said the purpose was to keep the skin and breast hydrated and that they were used to treating sticky people. It felt like a luxury and I enjoyed the ritual. I did not turn red, only the faintest shade of pink on some days and skin texture did not change. 3 weeks out and returned to normal. I will continue with the goop because I get occasional pains or icky sensations either from the surgery or the rads. This makes it go away. Maybe it's from the massage. RO says best to do it after a shower because it will keep your newly hydrated skin from drying out.

• MarcellaPa
    MarcellaPa Member Posts: 65
    Options

Hi Crunchy:

I'm also fair skinned and light eyes and sensitive skin. I'm down 20 with 10 more to go.

I've had the "expected" side effects such as pinkness, soreness and some burning sensations. I doubt anyone gets through this without a little discomfort but it's all manageable so please don't add to your anxiety level by expecting worst case scenarios. You'll be done before you know it. Honestly, I don't know where the last weeks went.

The radiation nurse recommended the body cream "Udderly Smooth" and I was also given Regenecare gel with lidocaine. I slathered the Udderly Smooth cream on immediately after leaving the radiation treatment in the dressing room and then repeated application every four or so hours, when awake. If I got up during the night, I put on a little more. Just make sure you stop applying 4 hours before your next treatment.

I cut down on showers and switched to sponge baths. I washed very gently around the radiated area with Dove for sensitive skin without using a washcloth--just cupped water over the breast to rinse. I kept washing the breast to a minimum. I stopped wearing a bra, even the soft athletic type and wore a dark-colored cotton blend top with a jacket over. At home, I just wore the cotton top. If at all possible, I tried to sleep on my back.

When the burning sensation started under my breasts, I alternated the Regencare gel with the Udderly Smooth cream.

Everyone uses different products but the key is to find one you like and moisturize frequently. Final advice: try to avoid posts that describe scary side effects and be positive you will do well...because you will.

: )

Marcella

• ayr1016
    Options

Thanks for the tips Sara!

Seraphima, I have my simulation tomorrow. She said I would getting ct scans as well.

Remember to drink lots of water ladies! I joined our local rec center and walked on the track today with my daughters. I hope to continue to walk throughout radiation.

Crunchy, are you using the plant or a gel (100% aloe)?

• Summerbum
    Summerbum Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi, I'm new to this thread. I don't have my consult with the RO until Sept. 15, so I will start sometime after that. I've been reading these posts and making a huge list of questions and products to order.

Seraphina, lymphedema prevention is part of the standard protocol where I live. The sheet below is exercises the PT gave me to do twice a day, 10 sets each, following my lumpectomy to help prevent lymphedema. There are more available on YouTube.

I image

• LifeAloft
    Options

I'm on day 6, yesterday and today I've felt a little nauseous a few hours after treatment, nothing horrible, but enough to notice. I googled and most sites say nausea is not a side effect. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue? It's only been two days, so I guess I'll wait and see how things go next week.

• Seraphima
    Options

Summerbum, thank you! To be honest, it seems things coming up faster than I can do them and get put off for days. I put out 3-5 "fires" a day and that's about all I can handle, and I kept MEANING to look for those exercises, but sadly I have kept putting it off. Now that you've set them in front of me, I will get started. THANK YOU!

LifeAloft - I've heard of nausea as a possible side effect. No personal experience yet. You might mention it to the nurse? I hope you feel better!

• Seraphima
    Options

I had my sim appt today,

Do they usually do tattooes today? I got measured, a foam pillow made for me, and marked with sharpies and tape. I'm a month past my first surgery - have been waiting to get back in the water. Surgeon said two weeks, but didn't know there would be a second surgery. Now they are telling me I can't get in the water until rads are finished, which will be 7 weeks away (too cold by then!) because they don't want me to wash off the sharpie marks or remove the bits of tape. Really???

I guess I can handle it, but I don't want to. I tested the water yesterday - it feels GREAT, but only for another three weeks maybe. I've already given up nearly my entire summer. I wasn't counting on this.

And if they aren't going to start for a week, why did they put tape on today? Couldn't they do it closer to my first appt? I have to avoid submerging or really washing for almost two months? :/

• Blahndie74
    Blahndie74 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Life aloft, I had a nauseous feeling first few days. Read on here about rads causing dehydration. I started drinking plenty of water and haven't had any more episodes. Goodluck to you !

• LoveMyVizsla
    Options

Seraphima, yes, they did my tattoos during my sim. Sounds like you get marker and tape instead. They still use marker on me every day, but no tape. The RO told me I could swim if I wanted to, ask long as I rinse all the chemicals off afterward.

I am home for the weekend, 4 down, 26 to go. My husband won't let me drive one way, so he is snoozing on the couch.

• Seraphima
    Options

Thanks, LoveMyVizsla!

I had read about others swimming. I don't know, I'll wait for now. But I'm not sure I'm willing to give it up entirely for the rest of the year without good reason. I don't think sharpies will disappear with a 30-minute swim one day to the next.

• LifeAloft
    Options

Thank you for the tips ladies! Blahndie, I will try the water! Thanks!

Seraphima, I also got my tattoos during my sim, well two of them, the third I got during my "dry run".

Good luck!!

• josieg
    josieg Member Posts: 13
    Options

Seraphima I had tape and sharpie put on at my simulation - the one in the middle of my chest fell off (they said that wasn't a problem) and the ones on my side stayed (I too waited a week before the treatment). I was told that at the simulation they mark you and measure everything, and it takes a week or so to plan for the first treatment based on the measurements.

I did go swimming in my pool during that week - I think my RO said it was ok as it was salt water. The side stickies caused me some irritation, so I was happy to go with the tattoos which I got on my first treatment. Only had 2 tattoos and they were very tiny. I'm day 9/21 and feeling ok - so far so good! I haven't been swimming since but probably will this weekend since not much of the warm weather left! Good idea from LoveMyVizsla to ensure you rinse off well if you do go swimming.

• ClarkBlue
    ClarkBlue Member Posts: 30
    Options

Okay so I totally forgot I started this thread hahahaa

I had my appt with RO yesterday with simulation. I begin 7 weeks on 9/26. Not sure why 7, but I'll do it. My RO is so kind, so much better than my MO. I had 3 tattoos and will start moisturizing my shoulder, arm and chest as someone suggested earlier who's been through it.

I totally agree with the preventative lymphedema treatments if you can. I only had one lymph node removed and I've already developed some minor swelling in that hand and forearm. I thought it was just edema for a while since my feet and ankles were swollen terribly from the Taxotere, but they are fine now and my hand/forearm is still swollen so I got a referral from my MO and had my consultation Monday and my first appt yesterday. The OT was thrilled that I was being so proactive and my RO said the radiation would most likely make the Lymphedema worse so he was glad I was getting help too.

OT suggested I get a compression sleeve so I need to get a prescription from my MO. They sent me to Lymphedivas.com to shop... Pretty cool site!!

So glad you are all here...

Just to recap...I'm 46, had BMX in April with tissue expanders. 1 positive node. Finished TC chemo July 21, had final implants on 8/23. Begin radiation on 9/26.

Whew!

Let's get this done ladies!!!

-Keely

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408
    Options

It looks like I may be starting this fall too..

• TNpotato
    TNpotato Member Posts: 57
    Options

Well, 4 done of 33! So far so good, hopefully that's how it'll go the rest of the way! :)

LoveMyVizsla & ayr1016 - I hope the long commutes become routine. I was just thinking how happy I am to not have this treatment in the winter! :^P One less hassle to deal with!

Myraknits - My RO gave me a few samples, Miaderm and MyGirls. I went with Miaderm just for the smell. :)

LifeAloft - Hope the rehydrating is all you need to kick the nausea! My RO mentioned drinking extra water throughout treatment to help heal and moisturize the skin.

ClarkBlue - lol! Hi! Thank you for starting this thread! And I agree, let's do this and get on with life!

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

I'm all set for next week. I went with the Miaderm and found some vegetable soap with no artificial fragrances.

Blahndie, I'm so glad you mentioned dehydration! That was one of my worst side effects during chemo so I'll be sure to drink lots of smartwater.

I ended up with 7 tattoos! After this is all said and done, I think I'll look into getting them removed. Don't need a connect the dots game reminding me daily of how much fun this all was. One of them is smack in the middle of my chest so between that and the port scars I'm considering switching my wardrobe to nothing but boatneck tees.

• Seraphima
    Options

Thanks, Josieg, for the reply.

I am glad to know the reasons, and I'll talk to them this week about swimming. I am afraid I was very grumpy when I posted last - I ended up with a terrible reaction to the CT scan, which I didn't know was possible. Ugh, I had Paget's, which is rare (2%?), TN which is somewhat rare (20%?) - those two make it difficult for me to consider outcomes. Now I get this awful reaction to CT scan, which I read is less than 2% without contrast. It's beginning to scare me, when the doctors give me statistics they surely mean to be reassuring - but the numbers don't seem to work for me. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way though. I'm sure there's lots of other rare-occurrence things that haven't happened to me. But I have some concern (maybe unfounded) about making it through rads.

• ayr1016
    Options

Seraphima - so sorry you are having some difficulties with RADs already from the beginning. How frustrating.

Today is my first day. I am ready to get it behind me. I feel anxious about the cream/ointment/whatever else I need to be putting on my skin afterwards regime I will start today. I want to fast forward 6 weeks. However, I have a trip that was planned with my daughter to New York right dab in the middle of RADS. I hope I am not to tired to enjoy it. *positive thinking positive thinking*

• Seraphima
    Options

Thank you, ayr1016.

I hope you are able to enjoy your visit to your daughter. Many people do seem to make it easily through rads. I myself know nothing, but I'm trying to work in a routine of early-morning exercise and skin care, and hope that will help. I'm sure positive thoughts are a great place to start. :)

If I did have a reaction to the CT Scan, according to what I've read, it should begin resolving this afternoon or evening. Thankfully the migraine is gone. That was what was making everything so difficult. Nausea is better, dizziness still a little problem, nosebleed stopped, still have bright red patches on my skin. They may likely blister, so I'm a little concerned about going into rads with blistered skin.

I just want all this part to be over.