Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Options

Comments

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    edited January 2017
    Options

Really enjoyed that article. Thanks for sharing it!

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited January 2017
    Options

glennie - Glad you liked it! It goes with the thin slices of joy. I do love a good cup of coffee in a nice mug. I haven't bought synthetic sheets since I was in college. Good food is a must. It doesn't have to be gourmet, but quality ingredients make a huge difference. Ever since I started avoiding grains, I've lost the taste for regular bread or store-baked goods. I prefer homemade or ones from a real bakery shop (Starbucks doesn't count). I watched a documentary on food/weight loss. A doctor said you can eat as many treats (including bread) as you want, but you have to make it yourself. So, I eat cinnamon rolls, but only 2-3 times a year when we make it at home.

I overdid the Classical Stretch today. Felt a little muscle tightness that didn't subside with the postural alignment exercises. Took some medicine and rested with pup. Watched some recorded shows and loved this bit:

• susan3
    susan3 Member Posts: 2,631
    edited January 2017
    Options

serenity, good article. I have gone outside, often, in my ugg slippers. I do get some funny looks. But when the feet hurt, I try to make them happy.

Saw a great movie with hubby today....hidden figures....then my cousin dropped off a dinner for us, just caused she felt like it. Beautiful slice of joy :

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Susan - You don't need to explain comfy shoes to me. ;) I don't compromise on shoes. Not to say I don't look for sales, but I don't buy cheap shoes. Your feet are your foundation. They're worth it! Very nice of your cousin to drop off dinner!

We're trying something new with our dog. Instead of handing her a treat after her walk, we put it in her Kong, hide it in another room, and tell her to "look". She gets very excited. We haven't tried a different floor yet. Soon.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

My leg has been hurting for the past 2 days (but it was feeling good for many days before). Went to yoga today, and it didn't help. I need to be patient and listen to my body. Got home and my pup came to welcome me. She has a tiny tail, but I could see it wagging. She earns her keep.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

My husband said the pup was not happy with him this morning. She was asleep leaning on his leg when he moved it. She got up with a groan, spun around, and plopped down against him to go back to sleep. She has a hard life.

Another day of rest. My leg is still unhappy. Two steps forward, one step back. Grateful for the support from my family. And chocolate.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm loving your slices Serenity. I've made your thread a favourite. Let's all feel the joy! Like you, I have also had a SASH (that's what I call my Sore Aching Stiff Hip) and sciatic pain since finishing treatment. It's been really bad at times but is gradually improving day by day. I have been trying out your postural exercise, along with swimming, yoga and gentle stretches. They seem to help.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hey ScotBird! - I'm so glad that you are seeing improvement! I have to remember I was much better just a few days ago. Need to be more gentle with myself.

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499
    edited January 2017
    Options

Serenity~ Loved your posts.

I need to pull my thin slices together. Over a year since diagnosis; some days I feel like the cancer just tipped me right over the edge.

JanuaryWoes.

• gardengypsy
    edited January 2017
    Options

PS: I live about 1.5 hrs. from MTL in VT!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi GG! I love VT! Years ago wetook the kids to Ben and Jerry's there. We have a similar timeline. This past year has been rough, but we're through it! I was getting really down when I read the article on changing your mindset by finding those nice, little moments. It's been helping. I still have pain, but it isn't weighing me down. Most days I have more joyful moments than what I write. Some days, not. But then a new day starts. Which reminds me...

I woke up enjoying my bed this morning. It probably helped that I slept for 9 hours. I needed that.

Medicating

• susan3
    edited January 2017
    Options

Spent the day with my daughter and granddaughter and I am spending the night. Big slice of joy :

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Nice, susan! How old is your granddaughter?

Had a long day at the hospital. It was a checkup with my breast surgeon. Had a mammogram and ultrasound. The mammogram was "stable". I have several nodules that they found a year ago. In the ultrasound they found an extra nodule requiring 2 radiologists to review. They decided to do a biopsy. They planned on getting 3 samples, but it collapsed after the second sampling. My BS will call with the results, but they think it was a cyst. They apologized for taking so long saying my breast is complicated. I'm just glad they are taking extra care. I'm not too worried. Just a little.

I was also seen by my kinesiologist. She measured my arms. She found my affected arm has gotten a little bigger, but that was my goal. I've been exercising it more, and it's still thinner than my other arm. I'm feeling stronger, but a long ways from doing real pushups. Before cancer I was able to push myself up in my inverted hang so that all my weight was on my hands. Can't lift myself off the strap yet. Baby steps.

Leg is less painful. Trying to avoid aggravating my sciatic nerve.

These are the thinnest slices of joy today.

My family including my pup give me the thickest slices of joy all days.

• susan3
    edited January 2017
    Options

granddaughter is 9 months on the 20th. Her laughter is a big slice of joy...and napping in my arms, a glimpse at heaven, peaceful and beautiful and full of love :

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

That's such a great age. I loved holding my girls while they slept.

• gardengypsy
    edited January 2017
    Options

Serenity~ I live very close to the Eastern Townships and love the little town of Sutton!

My partner came up to visit this weekend. He lives about 4 hours from me. It's great to get some free hugs!!

• gardengypsy
    edited January 2017
    Options

susan~ I've got two grandsons, 8 and 10. They live about 10 minutes from me. Due to exhaustion, I am unable to be with them a lot right now unless someone is around to support. So we go out for dinner and stuff. Thin slices of joy are especially important. We had a nice time at Solstice.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

GG - We live on the western side of the island. Last time we went to the Eastern Townships was to pick up our dog when she was a pup. Hope you're having a great visit!

My dog came to me giving me the feed-me stare. I stared back and told her she had to wait. As soon as she hears "wait", her ears go back and she looks away in disappointment. Is it wrong to laugh? I do it quietly.

• gardengypsy
    edited January 2017
    Options

Serenity-

My roommate, a devout Buddhist monk, says that our pup should not be laughed "at." According to him, there is too much suffering in the dog world.

That being said, if my dog spreads joy through my laughter, I am good with that.

• glennie19
    edited January 2017
    Options

Serenity, I think I mentioned on the other thread that my dog had to be put to sleep last week. So yesterday, I went to the rescue and brought home a little brown cattle mix dog who is heartworm positive to foster while she goes thru treatment. She is so sweet! So happy to have a dog in the house again. I could be heading to a "foster failure".

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

GG - I was laughing near her? Yes, there is too much suffering in the dog world, but not in my house. She brings out the best in my family, and for that I am so thankful.

glennie - I'm so sorry about your dog. When we had to put our previous dog to sleep, I was a wreck. It is in the dog ownership guide that we cannot let them suffer. I hope you have a foster "fail"! New pups are fun!

My leg is still hurting. Sitting at dinner is difficult again. I have to remember that I can be better. I had to review the Stockdale Paradox as a reminder. Even though I hate to take them, I need to allow myself to take the medicine to relieve the pain. I know which exercises help me. I will prevail!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options
  • SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm fascinated by the kids cooking or baking on the food channel. They're so talented and nice to each other. I always need a recipe to follow.

My husband gave me a much needed pep talk this morning.

• reflect
    reflect Member Posts: 280
    edited January 2017
    Options

More peaceful time with all four of us together. There were many times I thought this would never happen. I try to really soak it in.

Hang in Serenity. Better days to come.

• gardengypsy
    edited January 2017
    Options

I see a therapist who specializes in onc. I brought my partner with me for the first time the other day. I am grateful for this support.

• glennie19
    edited January 2017
    Options

Having a great time with my little foster dog. definitely brings joy to have a dog in the house again.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

reflect - Thanks! My husband reminded me that it's OK to feel down and that I can work my way back. In the Stockdale Paradox article, straight optimism is not enough. I just need to be more careful. Time with family is so nice. Now that school started again, my older daughter is missing dinner. I'm glad she tries to have dinner with us during the weekend.

GG - I'm glad you've got support.

glennie - I love the pitter patter of puppy paws! Is she a keeper?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

I took a long, salty bath today. During the week the thermostat is set lower when it's just the pup and me so the upstairs gets chilly. I plugged in a space heater in my bathroom to get it toasty. Don't worry, it's safe. I listened to music using my new Bluetooth speaker (Moulin Rouge soundtrack). When done I dried off with a warm towel that had been sitting on the heater.

Then I went to the wellness centre for a Swedish massage. Awesome!

Medicating

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2017
    Options

I can't tell you the number of times I've watched this...