Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Starting Chemo in December 2016

Options

Comments

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited January 2017
    Options

It's now one week after starting over with AC. Days 5 and 6 were the worst but even they were so much easier on my system than the TCHP I started with. I can definitely do three more. I had fluids and anti-nausea meds the day after chemo, but still the only thing that unclenches my gut muscles after I eat a meal is two hits of weed from the vape pen. That works immediately every time. (According to Jeff Sessions, good people don't smoke marijuana. Whatever...) My mouth started getting sore yesterday but so far it's manageable and I can still eat. Haven't lost all of my hair yet but it looks pretty bad. Maybe another week til shave time? Big tumor on left side is less than half the size it was and can't feel the right side one at all. Something's working. I feel like I've now been able to crawl out of this deep dark pit of despair enough to at least peer over the edge and see daylight.

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2017
    Options

Bareclaws--that's good news about the shrinkage. My brother gave me some liquid marijuana for a stocking stuffer, just haven't tried it yet. You are suppose to put to dropfuls into a liquid and drink it. Have you heard of this?

• StayMom
    StayMom Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2017
    Options

Bareclaws hang in there! You are doing great. Glad this round is working out better for you! I have had several people recommend marijuana, specifically the liquid, for pain etc. I keep forgetting to check with my oncologist but I would not hesitate using if it made this trip easier to handle!

I'm 10 days post treatment and starting to feel like myself again. I'll be trying to enjoy this upcoming week as much as possible before #3 the following week. Oh and I finally shaved my head today. Feels better and I totally feel like a bad-ass! One of you ladies said that a while ago and it's totally true! Much better than the patches and strings I had left. :

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thank you StayMom, Ginkoleaf12 and Pamela 23! I haven't been able to lay my hands on the CBD oil yet, although I really, really want it, not for side effect relief but for possible benefit of preventing metastasis. It's absurd that this is now unavailable to us (at least in my state). It doesn't make you high. Big Pharma has a long reach.

Forgot to mention that all my doctors and nurses (and even pharmacist) know that I'm using mj for nausea relief. While they can't recommend it, no one has said don't do it, and one nurse told me it does no harm to breast cancer patient. They know. But their hands are tied. I really don't care who knows. Come and arrest the small white-haired (soon to be bald) widow who has bilateral breast cancer and is on chemo. That will play well online.

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited January 2017
    Options

bareclaws. Great news on your treatment. Glad it's getting better. I lost my hair around 17-20 day. Doc said that would happen exactly as it did.

In the subject of neulasta. Is everyone taking it? I feel worse after the neulasta. I feel fine today (3rd infusion was yesterday). Everytime I get rhe shot I feel horriblw for three days. I can't work because of it. Anyone else feel same ?

• chickensandgoats
    chickensandgoats Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2017
    Options

I have had the neulasta onpro home injector for each of my 4 A/C treatments. The oncologist said I will not get them during Taxol. The first time I took it, I had terrible bone and muscle pain. I hurt all over, but just took OTC Advil and slept it off. That was probably the worst time for me. I

• scaredashell07
    edited January 2017
    Options

chickensandsgoats - I was told I would take the neulasta until second to last treatment so 3 Taxols. It's a bit frustrating when it's just so different from doc or center to other doc or centers protocol. I had some pain but more nausea. Are we allowed to take Advil ? Doc said to take non inuprofe

• ilsunrise
    ilsunrise Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2017
    Options

chickensandgoats - I got the Neulasta shot after my second infusion. My WBC got too low after the first round, so I'm getting the injection for the last three chemo cycles. I'm going in for the shots versus using the on-body injector. I chose to have the shot administered by nurse instead of automatically due to the rash I'm getting from Taxotere. I didn't want something else stuck on my body that could possible cause more skin irritation. I did not have bone and muscle pain but have been taking a Claritin every day as a preventative measure. My MO also said I should take Tylenol versus anti-inflammatory meds such as Ibuprophen if I did have any pain.

• Pamela23
    edited January 2017
    Options

I've had the Neulasta for the past 3 rounds. I agree, 24 hrs afterwards I get a pain. I think the 1st was the worst for over all body pain but I started taking Claritin the night before and kept on it longer and it made a HUGE difference. My nurse told me to stagger tylenol with ibuprofen which I do for several days. They told me I won't need the shot the last infusion since there's no hurry on getting the WBC up for another infusion. Looking at my labs, they are higher now than at baseline so I'm OK with that.

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi ladies, I'm 3days post my 4th T/C treatment and I feel horrible. I feel like I'm coming down with a cold, have zero taste buds, my body aches and I do have a cough. I feel hungover almost. And very restless. I hate feeling this way. I don't feel like myself even feel a little light headed. I hope it passes quick. This 4th round was def. a little harder.

Hope everyone is recovering well.

• Pamela23
    edited January 2017
    Options

Oh Hopfull2, I'm sorry! I felt the 3rd one kicked my ass, number 4 is on Wednesday. Two weeks ago I felt like you did, except the cough. I felt like I could bounce back after 10 days with rounds 1 & 2, but round 3 took almost 2 weeks to recover and now with this lymphadema in my left arm pressing against a nerve, I don't feel up to doing another round in a few days when I'm not back to feeling pain free. Your post makes my heart sink. I hope you feel better soon. Just remember you are in the thick of it and it should be getting better everyday from here for the next few weeks.

I have a question for you and anyone else on the same regimen. I am gaining weight each week since Christmas and my eating has stayed the same (except Christmas weekend). I can't taste so I don't over eat. I haven't eaten sweets or fried foods. I keep the same eating regimen I have since surgery but some how the scale goes up a pound every week. I exercise about 5 days a week & lift twice a week(on my good weeks) which is definitely modified because of the fatigue so I'm not sure if it's water retention? I only get steroids in my infusion. I don't take any other ones. Is chemo slowing down our metabolism that much? Anyone have insight? It's REALLY frustrating1

• scaredashell07
    edited January 2017
    Options

Pamela are you on AC/T ?

I am and j haven't gained. Is that a side effect of chemo

• CCNC
    CCNC Member Posts: 26
    edited January 2017
    Options

First post on this site. I just completed my second round of chemo on Jan. 6th. The first round from Dec. 16th created so many side effects they backed off the dosage of the taxotere for the second round. The second round was smoother so I guess it helped but am worried about permanent damage from all of these drugs. I am on the neulasta as well and absolutely hate it. Had severe pain with the first round but I got ahead of it the second time around and it was manageable. I will be on Herceptin for a year. I don't know anything about surgery and radiation yet, doctor won't discuss it. I guess they are waiting to see how the chemo works first.

My hair is about 90 percent gone, started shedding about two weeks after the first treatment. I have been wearing hats, as the scarves I ordered just don't look right on me. Taste buds are shot as well and my tongue has some numbness from the first treatment, so eating is a miserable experience right now.  I can sympathize with a lot of what I am reading in this thread. This is a rocky path to walk(crawl), just wishing for the day when the chemo is finished.

• scaredashell07
    edited January 2017
    Options

welcome CCNC. Sounds like a rough start. Glad it seems a bit better in some ways I'm concerned about the side effects too. Especially long term. I've had a persistent sore throat for the three or four days after neulasta. Anyone else?

• Shell72
    Shell72 Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2017
    Options

I agree Neulasta is horrible stuff. I'm having it after all 4 of my chemo cycles. My bone pain was definitely worse after the first shot. It always seems that I feel horrible from days 4-7 of my chemo cycle until I start to turn the corner. Some of my pain is bound to be from the Neulasta but now it seems I may also have neuropathy of the nerves in my jaw from Taxotere, so I can't blame it all on the Neulasta. My round 3 is in 2 days. Really hope I don't suffer more than usua like Pamela23 and Hopfull2

• chickensandgoats
    edited January 2017
    Options

Welcome CCNC! Sorry you have to be here, but glad you joined us.I am doing chemo first as well. My doctor and I are just starting to discuss surgery options after chemo. Good luck!

• Summer2016
    Summer2016 Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi everyone!

Welcome CCNC. I sorry you are experiencing a tough time with side effects :( You are not alone as many of us are having several not so pleasant side effects from our treatments. Hope you find the discussion helpful :)

Pamela23----------I don't eat meat so many veggies as a norm. Little processed foods. Only difference is I have been eating more bread as toast and crackers. Also, now eating mashed potatoes and frozen pancakes---all after chemo as anything else makes me sick. My bread carbs have increased so I wondered if that is causing my weight to go up. I know some is water retention from steroids especially since I had to take another 6 day pack due to my finger, knee and hip pains. My chemo nurse said that most breast cancer patients do gain on chemo---How we gain? I didn't ask if she meant due to the drug or eating habits.

Like others, I am on Neulasta after all 4 treatments. My second treatment was really awful with the Neulasta---terrible flu like feeling as in the worst in my life. I called and said I wasn't sure I could make it through my next round which is this week Friday Jan 20th my 3rd chemo. I will be discussing lowering the dose or adding a pain med. I seriously could hardly walk after my 2nd treatment---knees and hips were too painful!

Scaredashell07--------------I too am worried that my side effects will be long term! Especially the finger numbness, burning and pain. Also, I get a sore throat after each treatment and I do not know if it is chemo or Neulasta. And my voice goes out. I hope this gets better for us all real soon!

• scaredashell07
    edited January 2017
    Options

I wonder if they can lower the dose of neulasta. I was tempted to tell my husband to put in half. We do the home shot. I haven't started taxol yet and getting nervous. That's my next drug.

• SusanV123
    SusanV123 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hey Shell7

We pretty much have same diagnosed the same, except my tumour is a little larger and I am doing Taxotere Carbo and Herceptin...

I am due for my fourth round on Jan 25th..just before Australia say (bugger).

I agree about Neulasta - muscle pain for me and knee for about 3 days..then all good. The Jaw hurt the first time and, pain in my face..kinda weird the 2nd round then I managed to get an infection i think... felt like a cold, lots of coughing, sore throat.. still have a bit of it. How many cycles are you doing?

• lisa137
    lisa137 Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm from the November 2013 chemo group, just popping in to say "hello" from the other side of chemo, and throw out a few comments. Claritin for the Neulasta pain does work for most people, apparently. Start taking it a couple of days before, and for a few days after. Personally, I just went ahead and took it all the time, partly so I wouldn't forget, and partly because it helped with the runny nose I had from having no nose hairs.

Claritin did NOTHING for my pain from taxotere, however. My first round of taxotere gave me pain that hydrocodone took care of. The second round of taxotere required that I double the dose of hydrocodone from 5mg to 10mg. For the third and fourth round of taxotere, hydrocodone didn't so much as touch the pain, so I graduated to percocet, which took care of it. However, some of the other ladies in my group never had any pain from taxotere at all. If you're like me though, make sure they understand that it doesn't hurt just a "little," it hurts a LOT.

Hang in there. It'll all be behind ya before you know it.

• Pamela23
    edited January 2017
    Options

Shell72-- My MO told me it's not necessary to do the Neulasta shot after my final round (this Wednesday) because I'm not under a deadline for the WBC to be up like I was between rounds. I also noticed from my last lab that my WBC are up to 10.2 and looking at the previous ones, I was around 5 at baseline so I feel good about that decision. Maybe if it's that painful, you can discuss opting out of the shot after your final round. Take a look at your labs if it helps your case.

Welcome CCNC--I'm sorry you had a rough beginning. I'm also concerned about permanent damage. I've been using my arm that had the nodes taken out to do blood draws and infusions not know ing I wasn't suppose to. Have a mild case of lymphedema in that arm and it's pressing on a nerve. Hoping there's no nerve damage nor permanent lymphadema problems. It's so frustrating not knowing what this pisin is doing to out healthy cells and how long those effects will last!

Summer--I've been reading a lot on chemo and weight gain. I have found a couple forums that are encouraging that the weight will come off after treatments stop. It's just frustrating to be doing everything right and seeing the scale say otherwise. I have no tastebuds, so if I was going to gain weight, I want to at least be enjoying what I'm eating while I'm doing it!!

• StayMom
    edited January 2017
    Options

Wow Pamela! Last round this week? That's amazing. You must be the first from our December group to finish? Sorry about the lymphedema. Did you only have 3 nodes removed? I also had 3 with no problems so far but will continue to keep the needles off of that side! I have heard different opinions in that it doesn't matter which side but I have also heard lymphedema can be a risk no matter how many nodes etc. Hopefully yours resolves. Are you also doing radiation?

Welcome CCNC. Hope things improve for you. It's so hard to weigh the benefit vs the risks of all these drugs. We literally have our lives in the hands of our MOs.

Weight gain ugh! It seems so unfair. My appetite has been crazy about 3-4 days after chemo and eating helps with nausea. I'm afraid to watch the scale.Trying to continue with healthy fruits, vegetables and protein but carbs are my friend during chemo. I have given in to them as I feel better and will do my best to exercise and hope the weight will come off after. We are good timing since most of us should be finishing early spring right? In Canada that is the perfect time to start a new exercise regimen!! :)

• StayMom
    edited January 2017
    Options

BTW Iupdated my profile pic to my bad ass bald pic! Makes me laugh :)

• Pamela23
    edited January 2017
    Options

I saw that pin, StayMoM--that's awesome!! I think I am the first to finish from Dec group. I had my first one in Nov but 2nd & 3rd were in Dec so I joined this group as well as the Nov one.

• chickensandgoats
    edited January 2017
    Options

Looks great, StayMom! Happy

• chickensandgoats
    edited January 2017
    Options

Pamela23 - Congratulations on making it to your final round! Whoo Hoo! What an awesome milestone! I can't wait until the rest of us are there with you!!

• Keebee85
    Keebee85 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2017
    Options

StayMom your pic is sooooo bad ass!! Love it!

• Pamela23
    edited January 2017
    Options

Wednesday is my last one!! Just not mentally ready for another round but I know that every day I have a side effect, knowing it's the last time, will help me get through it better. Round 3 really kicked me in the ass. Just wish I had another week to recoup before being down again.

• SCGirl50
    SCGirl50 Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2017
    Options

StayMom looking good. I am liking my baldness as well. I clean shaved it and I can't stop rubbing my head. I horrified my 13 year old son when I told him I may keep it. The $ saved on hair products has been nice.

Last AC tomorrow. Glad to be finishing this phase but very nervous about Taxol next. I developed a sinus infection over the weekend so I started taking standby antibiotics. Feeling better now. I guess I will need to tell my MO.

Keep on pushing everyone. Pamela23 proves there is an end to the madness.

• Jezikah
    Jezikah Member Posts: 68
    edited January 2017
    Options

Staymom - love the new look! I still have about 10-15% of my hair - it's buzzed, but looks kinda wonky, so I always wear something on my head. I hope after this treatment, it will just all fall out and then i'll feel fine going bald. I wanted to clean shave it, but my hair is on the thicker/coarser side and my head is too sensitive, so we'll see what happens after this treatment. I'm just afraid of my eyebrows/eyelashes falling out - like I'm afraid to rub my eyes for fear they'll fall out. Has anyone had eyebrows/eye lashes fall out on the T/C treatment?

I have my 3rd treatment tomorrow and my SEs haven't been too bad so far - biggest complaints would be the nausea and mouth/teeth/tongue pain, GI issues, and taste changes for 2 weeks after treatment. I think I'll get the neulasta shot after every treatment - with having a small child who goes to pre-school and working with the public every day, and it being cold/flu season, my MO just wanted to do it each time to be on the safe side. I had some bone pain the first time, but none the second, so should be fine going forward. Overall, I feel pretty fortunate that my SEs have been manageable and haven't affected my life too much. Yes, I'm mostly out of commission for a few days, but can function pretty well - and the week before treatment is a nice reprieve to feel "normal" before going through it all again.