Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Starting Chemo in December 2016

Options

Comments

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited January 2017
    Options

Jezikah

Thanks for your reply, well I had no node positive, found out today I did have 1 involved, so that was a heart crusher .

This all has me in a very bad place since the PET scan showed no spread anywhere , also some sort of lesion on my lung but it didn't not light up and had no take up of the dye.......not sure what would cause a lesion

I should be starting Monday on docetaxal and Cytoxan 4 rounds and then 5 yrs of Letrozote

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi ladies. I'm from the November board but I'm posting here since I see there are more of you on my chemo regiment taxotere/cytoxan. Is anyone experiencing thier nails getting dark? I noticed this 3weeks ago. I'm due for my 4th treatment this Thursday and afraid they will become darker. I'm nervous to take my polish off as they do need to be repolished.

Hope your all doing well. Winking

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks for the responses about chemo.  so many interesting things I learn here. 

• Summer2016
    Summer2016 Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hopfull2--------Hello and welcome! You and I have very close diagnosis. I too am on TC chemo. And, Yes my nail beds after treatment #2 on Dec 29th are turning a darker shade. However the very tips are still white. Are your nails a shade of yellow at the nail bed? Are the tips still white?

I use black polish the night before treatment and leave it on for about 7 to 10 days then I remove the polish as it is all chipped by then. I will do the same for treatment 3. I don't know if it is helping as I haven't read a lot of others experience with their nails on TC. Plus, to be honest I have had so much burning and pain in my finger tips that I have been more focused on that and my knee/hip pains.

Perhaps others will chime in and let us know:)

• Hopfull2
    edited January 2017
    Options

hi summer, yes. The tips of my nails are white just towards the ends is dark. And I get a lot of nail pain. On my toe nails too. Like the nails hurt. But my nails are growing normally and thick so no issues with that thank goodness

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited January 2017
    Options

Can someone tell me the reason for painting nails dark during chemo? Is it just to disguise nails, themselves, turning dark? or is supposed to prevent them from turning dark? If so, how

• argynis
    argynis Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2017
    Options

I don't see any benefit of painting nails black other than hiding the discoloration.

There are studies that icing your nails and fingers/toes during Taxol/Taxotere infusions help prevent peripheral neuropathy and nail toxicity. Same goes for sucking on ice cubes to prevent mouth sores and counteract loss of taste. The cold reduces blood circulation and this way reduces the absorbed chemo uptake of cells in the areas. Same way cold-caps can help to prevent hair loss.

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited January 2017
    Options

argynis, thanks for reply. I thought that was the case. My center does cold packs for feet and hands during a Taxol (and also Taxotere). No one mentioned ice for mouth when I had theTaxotere, even though I was sitting under a cold cap and had ice packs on extremities. My mouth was Destroyed. When I started over a month later with AC, I sucked on ice for the Adriamycin push. So far, so good. No mouth sores or pain.

• BG46TN
    BG46TN Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi everyone! I"m from the Nov group..I"m at my midway point now, finished AC but I haven't started my Taxotere yet (I start the 20th) but I met with my nurse yesterday to discuss SE etc...yes your nails can turn black, sometimes even fall off (ugh) that is a side effect of the taxane drugs. I think painting you nails just helps to cover up your dark nails..thats it.

Putting ice packs on your hands/feet can help prevent the neuropathy...my friend put bags of frozen peas on her hands during round one of Taxol...but it didn't help she had hand pain anyway...but then she ordered the ice mitts that you freeze for round 2 and so far she hasn't had any pain etc...so you never know! The nurse told me to tell them if I get bad pain in hands and feet that they can prescribe a soak that is useful for that.

I don't know of anyone at my center who does the ice thing...so I"m not sure whether I'm going to try it or not...I hate being cold LOL I may see what my side effects are like for round one, then go from there.

• chickensandgoats
    chickensandgoats Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2017
    Options

Getting ready to head out to the infusion center. Today is my last A/C. I am happy to meet this milestone. Next up are 12 weekly Taxol treatments.

• Jezikah
    Jezikah Member Posts: 68
    edited January 2017
    Options

Woohoo, Chickensandgoats - Congrats on the milestone and hope all goes well!!

• StayMom
    StayMom Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2017
    Options

Way to go Chickensandgoats! Hope all goes adkm

• Jezikah
    Jezikah Member Posts: 68
    edited January 2017
    Options

Ok informal poll. For those who have lost all their hair - what are you doing to cover your head? Wig or hats/scarves/turbans? I bought a lovely wig - it is beautiful and looks natural, is relatively comfortable, and I really like it except that it's hard to keep it looking nice! It has been so cold here - snow and highs of less than 10 degrees for the last 2 weeks - and the wig is just a pain to keep tangle free between hats, scarves, sweaters, coats, etc. It's like I'm always combing it - in the morning, when I get to work, throughout the day, etc. I have anti-tangle spray, but that only does so much. And I'm so self-conscious about my wig looking just right. I also only wear it to work - as soon as I'm in my car at the end of the day, I take it off, I only wear hats at home and on the weekends. Only a few of my friends have even seen me in the wig because I usually wear hats or scarves to go out so now I don't even know why I'm bothering. People at work know I'm going through chemo and lost my hair and while I don't want to remind everyone all the time that I'm the "cancer patient" - I feel like my comfort is more important than wearing that wig. So today I'm wearing a scarf. And even though a (female) co-worker said I look like a 'hot pirate' (!?!), I feel better about not having to run to the bathroom all the time to make sure I don't have hair flying every which way.

• chickensandgoats
    edited January 2017
    Options

Jezikah - I have to admit I bought a really nice wig that is sitting on a stand in bedroom right now. I think I've worn it once. I've been wearing scarves for work and warm beanies for outside chores. Sometimes a ball cap for running errands and bald and beautiful at home! lol

I teach middle school and I was worried how the students would react since everything is hilarious to 7th & 8th graders. They have been awesome with my adjustment to no hair.

I totally agree that my comfort is more important than wearing a wig. However, this is personal decision and I salute the ladies who proudly wear their hairpieces too!

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited January 2017
    Options

I will have Taxol #9 this Friday. I am having itchy skin and blisters too!

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2017
    Options

I got the itchy skin on my neck with weird skin texture that spread to my torso the 1st round but kept taking the Claritin longer on the 2nd and 3rd & had no reaction. That said, I got worse neuropathy this time. My feet are feeling better but the nerve down my arm where I had the sentinel nodes taken has hurt the past few days.

• StayMom
    edited January 2017
    Options

Not sure what happened to my above post LOL. It looks like I fell asleep. I meant to say "hope all goes well" Chickensandgoats!

Regarding the baldness, I am so glad I am not the only one not using my wig! I like it and it looks good but unless I can look in the mirror every 2 minutes I think I will be too self conscious. Plus it is cold and windy and I also need a hat so that complicates everything. I have been just wearing cotton hats. I ordered a "hot pirate" scarf/bandana but I think I look more like a sad fortune teller!! It will be mostlyhats and caps for me :)

• Hopfull2
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi, I'm also on taxotere and had the major itching on my Under arms and yes near private area. It even left these dark spots only in my under arms like hive scars. I go for my 4th taxotere tomm. Nervous cuz last time I i got left with an ugly bruise on my arm where my vein I started since I'm not using a port. My neuropathy is minor. Hope it stays this way. But my nails are turning dark. Strong,long but dark.

Hope everyone that just had infusions or about to is doing well. Hang in there. I think most of us are at least half way through.

• Shell72
    Shell72 Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2017
    Options

scaredashel- I had no lymph node involvement but as you said aggressive cancer usually requires chemo. My tumour was grade 3 and HER2+ plus unfortunately I am hormone receptor negative for both ER and PR so have no other protection to help prevent recurrence other than chemo (Cyclophosphamide & Docetaxel) for 4 rounds and a year of Herceptin which incidentally also requires initial chemotherapy treatment before having it alone. Due to my tumour being on the outside edge of my breast I had very narrow clear margins to the skin and rib cage so I will also be having radiotherapy. Without chemo and Herceptin I only have a 60% chance of seeing out another 10 years . I'm only 44 so there was never a doubt in my mind to give this beast everything I've got! Plus it's my 3rd different cancer in 12 years so I'm determined to win again.

• Shell72
    Shell72 Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2017
    Options

I have a selection of headcovers (pre-tied scarves mostly)which I wear 90% of the time especially at work. I also purchased a lovely wig but feel much more self conscious wearing it in public. The sweeping fringe goes in my eyes when I put my head down then I feel like I want to check in a mirror that it looks ok, so wearing it to work is not an option even though I work in a retail pharmacy. I wear my wig when I go out socially and that is it. I don't mind my customers knowing that I'm a cancer patient, I fact I think it helps some of them knowing they are not alone.

• StayMom
    edited January 2017
    Options

For those of you that do not have a port how are your veins holding up? I am only 2 treatments in and my veins where I had both IVs are sore and I can feel bumps. Ugh I hope they make it through another 4 treatments. I'm nervous to use the veins on the side I had my mastectomy but I might need to. Was hoping to savethat side since I'll also be doing rads after.

• BG46TN
    BG46TN Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2017
    Options

StayMom

I have been using my veins only...I finished 4 rounds of AC and did pretty well, my first two treatments they used the same vein...that one is shot now, hardened and turned black ugh...but the last 2 they used 2 different ones in the other arm (I haven't had surgery yet) and they are fine. I start taxotere on the 20th...so only 4 more that I need to make it through :-) I have pretty good veins I think thats why my MO said I didn't need a port.

My advice is to drink a TON of water the day before and the day of chemo...the nurse said it helps to make your veins "pop" so they are able to find them and find bigger ones...it also helps your infusion go in faster when they are hydrated..

good luck!

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hopfull--I have a big ugly bruise left on my arm too and it was from round 2!! I go in for #4 next week, so nit sure when it plans to go away. It kinda feels bumpy when I put my finger over it. I've used my left arm, the side of my lumpectomy twice. They said it didn't matter which arm I used. They also say they start lower on the arm and go up. I get my blood draw that morning off the back of my hand.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 573
    edited January 2017
    Options

Jezikah- I wear a wig to work, but at home -store-etc. I wear scarves or hats. Scarves and hats are more comfortable and when I am wearing the wig I am worrying about if it is in the right place and does it look ok. I work in a large office and a lot of people don't know I have cancer and told me they liked my new hair cut. Which is so funny, I don't think they ever told me that when I got my real hair cut before. :)

• scaredashell07
    edited January 2017
    Options

shell72. Thanks for providing some insight on the reasons for your chemo

Stay mom - I also use my veins and hope they hold up. First time hey used my hand and 2bd they had to use my arm I was told never use the other arm because of lymphdema

As for wigs I use my whenever I go out but at home hats. Haven't used scarfs I bought one and it's too tight. can anyone provide a specific scarf they bought??

• scaredashell07
    edited January 2017
    Options

anyone lose their eyebrows yet? I haven't but expect too. Looking for a eyebrow powder that's natural

• chickensandgoats
    edited January 2017
    Options

scaredashell07 - I bought my favorite pre-tied scarfs from headcovers.com. I bought a couple from Amazon, but felt they were rougher material and poorer quality. The ones from Headcovers are super soft and have elastic for an adjustable fit.

• StayMom
    edited January 2017
    Options

Great tips for the veins. Thanks ladies! Hydration and picking new veins hopefully will work. Scaredashell I also heard about lymphedema risk so definitely hoping to stick to my right side.

I have also ordered some hats from amazon and headcovers. I'm waiting on a few to be delivered but both sites have a good selection. I'll post pics of my favorites once they arrive. Finally shaving my head in the morning.

• ilsunrise
    ilsunrise Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2017
    Options

Ladies I found a great place to order some hats, scarves, etc. I just got my shipment today and I like what I bought. Here is the link in case you want to check it out. http://www.hatsscarvesandmore.com/c-womens-hats.ht...

I have been wearing my wig to work and if I go out to dinner, grocery shopping, etc. But when I'm home, at the gym, or doing something active I wear a hat or scarf.

As far as my hair goes, I had only cut it real short. It's really patchy now and quite pathetic looking. So, I think I'm going to have DH, shave or cut it all as close to my scalp as possible this weekend. Just looking in the mirror when I'm not wearing a hat is kind of depressing because I have a lot of bald spots. So, I need to go totally bald to see if I can rock that look.

I didn't have a port and have had two rounds of chemo. My veins are OK so far, but I do have a nasty bruise on one from my treatment last week.

I am also losing my eyebrows, eye lashes, and rest of the hair on my body at this point. I have only shaved my legs twice since I started chemo and don't think I will have to again.

That's all for now. Hang in there.

• Hopfull2
    edited January 2017
    Options

staymom, I'm using my veins no port. I got my 4th T/C today. And they say taxotere is hard on veins. Nurse found my veins easy. And I use that same arm at my blood draws. 2more treatments led to. Think I will be ok wit us my veins. Glad I didn't get a port. When your arm starts to hurt cuz of the veins Dr said to put warm towel on it.

Pamela, I feel you on that bruise. My bruise is a long skinny bruise shaped like a vein. Dr even saw it and said he was sorry this happened. So at today's infusion they made sure to use a different vein.

Hope all you ladies doing well. Gonna rest up now and hope not today get crazy side effects from today's chemo. Smile