Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Uplifting and Lively Messages. No holds barred..

Options

Comments

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Oh, Claire. How fabulous!!! Liberty of London fabrics?? So glad that you are enjoying your visit. Does dampness effect your joints, perhaps? What is the temp there today....living vicariously....

Can't wait to hear all about it.

Hugs....

• TaRenee
    TaRenee Member Posts: 406
    Options

Got a new phone. Lost all my passwords and couldn’t remember them (thanks cancer treatment) so am FINALLY getting back here. It’s been a few weeks.

I was SO EXCITED last week. On Friday I was included on a video on Good Morning America. I sent in a video of me singing along with Anita Cochran’s song Fight Like a Girl. I can’t figure out how to post the link, but GMA’s Facebook page posted some of the video. I’m in the bottom left corner. 😀 My students think I’m a star now. I showed it in class. It’s making the rounds on Twitter from folks in my school system retweeting it.

And. Here’s the picture we took at school with our green screen. The kids picked out the background and took my picture. image

• Amica
    Amica Member Posts: 237
    Options

TaRenee --- That is incredible you were on Good Morning America! And that's a great pic! :)

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

A real celebrity. Yeah. Go TaRenee. I am going to look for your video.

• TaRenee
    Options

Walked a 5K on Saturday. Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. It was really a lot of work! Hilly neighborhood walk. I should get credit for 10K!

Up EARLY and got this beauty of a view when we parked image

Sat in the GIANT pink chair image

Got my sticker image

And walked!image

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Good job, TaRenee!!!

• TaRenee
    Options

Thanks Michelle! I am rather proud of myself for finishing it!

Today I am totally feeling those hills. My butt is killing me! I thought I had pulled something walking up the stairs at work. Then I realized, 5K in the hills that = a 10K yesterday. Whew!

• gkbuser
    gkbuser Member Posts: 300
    Options

yeah weather has been crazy, hot one day, cold and rainy the next we had some flurries on Sunday. I guess it's like the old saying if you don't like the weather today just hang around until tomorrow!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

GK, it got to 31 last night. So many things happening at once. I am having my house interior repainted and it is gorgeous, white on white. I am doing the prep and my husband is painting.

On October 4th, Sylvester went to the Rainbow Bridge, and tonight I collected his cremation remains. My heart is broken, but I knew it was coming. I have known and had been planning for one year. In the second or third week of November, I am bringing twin mini schnauzers home. For a year, I had been working with several breeders to get what I needed.....non neutered males, possibly stud dogs for later litters. I want them to grow to their full potential and have each other.

I have been helping a friend try to locate their missing dog. It really is amazing that so many pets go missing. We need miniaturized gps devices for implantation. There are gps devices for collars, and microchips for id numbers/owner, but no implantable gps devices.

I would have lovingly adopted a dog, but with my allergies and asthma, I have to go with what I know works for me, which are mini schnauzers. I had been waiting for Claire to get back from London to share the dog news, but I could not keep it under wraps any longer.

Heartbroken and excited at the same time.

Hugs to all my girls....

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

Headed home today from the most fabulous fortnight of exploring, friends, an arts feast for the senses and getting reacquainted with a nearly dormant side of my life. And I only saw one third of what I would have liked to see! I made friends with my friend Margaret's two Labrador Retrievers, and the two lovely cats at the Airbnb. One thing I learned was that I could manage fine with the loo two flights down from my bedroom! This at the Airbnb.

Lots of little things I will be doing differently.

As I am coming home to backed up projects (I keep getting emailed on these), I won't be able to post pictures until the weekend. 

I am so sorry about your dog, Michelle. Though not at all surprised as have suspected that Sylvester's time was getting short. I think a splendid idea to get two puppies, though suspecting they may be a handful.

My big learning is how much I miss color. I knew that I am not enamored with the palate I describe as "50 shades of putty" but didn't realize how much I miss color. I will be adding in colorful accents to my place, starting with some William Morris tiles which I know I can get on eBay. Lots of other little life changes I will be making based on this trip. Still processing what happened, but one thing I do know is that I need 2 weeks away in the future, hopefully without work nipping at my heels.

I am also planning on getting a bread machine now that I know that the secret is to cut what you aren't going to use immediately into slices and freeze.

Good news is that my business partner and I got the project we were bidding on, so lots to do in November. So much to catch up on. Looking forward to my own bed. 

More later as need to get ready for my journey home. Wish me luck with 12 hours of flying time! Change planes in Chicago, so longer (though lots cheaper than a nonstop back on British Airways). 

What a glorious time!!! - Claire

• Icietla
    Icietla Member Posts: 321
    Options

TaRenee -- Wow! Way to go!

----

Have a good safe trip home, Claire.

-----

>>It really is amazing that so many pets go missing. We need miniaturized gps devices for implantation. There are gps devices for collars, and microchips for id numbers/owner, but no implantable gps devices.<<

Microchipping gets a missing pet about a two percent chance of being returned to Home. None of those modern devices can protect animals from the perils to them out there. Appropriate restraints with collars, leashes, harnesses, appropriate harmless crating, and attendance and control by their capable Parent/s or Handler/s tend to work very well to keep pets safe. I will not make reference to the range of dangers to unprotected and unattended pets, because this is an upbeat thread.

If the supplier of the microchip/s for your pet/s supplies a yellow collar tag, keep that yellow one on their collar/s, to be worn before (in front of and in addition to) the more durable collar tag option. A person having low vision may never see your pet, but they may see that yellow collar tag worn by your pet. Keeping and using the yellow tag could give one a lead or leads to help find a missing microchipped pet.

-----

Michelle, I am so sorry about Sylvester. I hope your new Little Ones will help heal your heart and bring you and your Family many more joys. (((Hugs)))

There is this country music song that has helped my heart with letting go of my Little Ones --- you know, when they have had to go to the Rainbow Bridge. It can be very wrenching, especially in the first months of separation. In time, it can be more comforting. It is also a reminder that we pass through their lives, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jfBxfltYD0

• gkbuser
    Options

Michelle, wow, you have a lot on your plate! So sorry about Sylvester. But, I bet the interior walls look great. You'll have to post pictures when you're all done.

• TaRenee
    Options

Michelle I’m so sorry about Sylvester. I cried for a week after my sweet Tacey passed over the rainbow bridge. I still miss her so much and it has been over a year. However, mr Merlin is becoming quite the love bug and I am really enjoying him, especially when he gives me unexpected kitty kisses. image

• gkbuser
    Options

TaRenee, Mr. Merlin is beautiful.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

TaRenee, we can't replace our beloved pets, but we can open our hearts for a new pet or pets. It is hard to believe that Sylvester is not here. But, I know he is in a better place, with steak, bones, peanut butter, carrots, and yogurt containers to be licked. I have his ashes, so he will always be in with me.

Heart

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Arrived home in the wee hours yesterday after almost 24 hours of traveling. And then I faced a 10-hour day of work for my consulting business. So just catching up today. First were unpacking and laundry along with cleaning the oven which set off the smoke alarm yesterday evening. It's not self-cleaning so lots of elbow grease required.

I had the most fabulous time, revisiting old haunts and rediscovering London, which is still my favorite city. It was wonderful to see old friends. I am hoping to go this time next year to celebrate my friend Margaret's milestone birthday. Love her new house, which has a gorgeous back garden and sitting room overlooking it. I got to enjoy both.

Got a lot of ideas on how to simplify. My big learning clothes-wise is how wonderful the London ladies look in vintage. Lots to be had. Much better dressed than most of NYC. 

Flew on the Dreamliner from Heathrow to Ohare which was a treat. However, it was late, and with no sensible inter-terminal transport at Ohare, I just missed my connection to Seattle. So another 3 hours in Ohare. My friend Dottie did a lot of the logistics/supply work for the Dreamliner, so great to connect with her that way. Relived another youthful adventure prior to take off at a gate with not a lot of seating.....other than the floor, which I haven't done since my student days.

I will pull down pictures and post, but not today as have to go back and do more work on the report.

Have been looking at bread machines and William Morris tiles. I have discovered that the best source for the second is an English firm that supplies builders doing restorations of Victorian houses. You can really find amazing things there. I think I will get four to hang in my kitchen, and move the other tiles to the dining area.

Link to the restored Refreshment Rooms where I had tea at the V&A. My favorite museum, and only got to see a small bit.

https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/a-first-of-its-kind-history-of-the-refreshment-rooms

Foot is slowly healing though not quite up to a run. So walking it will be. Just the most glorious day out, perfect for cleaning the oven as was able to open doors as I scrubbed out the grime. I have clothes suspended from my bicycle wheels, plus my bathrobe which I thought could use a wash.

It's time to take a look at the report, and come up with some conclusions so my business partner and I can agree, reshape a few things if necessary, and get out the door. 

Missing my new furry friends from London, my two black kitty flat mates and my friend's two dogs. So I know what losing a pet is like. Still miss the dog I grew up with, as well as my mother's last dog. Lots of love there. 

More about my adventures later..... - Claire 

Edit: forgot to mention that I came home with two different single malts from Duty Free, one from a distillery that dates back to the 15th Century and the second dating from 1797. I also understand that one of the distilleries is very old school, doing the entire process without electricity. I will report on the results as can taste both with 12 year old Balvenie Double Wood. These are the things I like to get at Duty Free....fun items absolutely unobtainable elsewhere and which don't cost the earth.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Here is Part 1 of my London photos. - Claire

Osterly….one of the great houses from the distance. My friend Margaret volunteers as a guide there.

Robert Adam interior....so 18th Century. Similar designs on classic Wedgwood.

The walled kitchen garden. The stables and wall date from the 16th Century.

Church at Fingest where we went for a 5 mile walk and then met a friend at the pub.

Just loved this ancient house and garden.

Countryside where we did our walk, and yes, it was wet.

In London, indulging. Many more pastry shops than in the States, yet people are generally thinner.

In one of the Refreshment Rooms at the Victoria & Albert (link in previous post). Wonderful to take tea there.

Shawls at my favorite department store - Liberty of London. I have the shawl in the middle. Note that these designs are similar to the ones in the Refreshment Rooms.

Liberty's galleries.

With the greats and scoundrels at the National Portrait Gallery.

I think that this portrait of George Washington is extremely interesting, as it shows him in the company of other Englishmen, and very much a man of the Enlightenment. We forget that he would have considered himself "English" for most of his life.

View up Regent Street and across Piccadilly from Piccadilly Circus.

Touring London on the cheap from the top of a double-decker bus.

Resting my very sore foot at the Spaniard's Inn. I got the necklace at the V&A.

One of my old haunts, and lovely to be back.

Destination was Kenwood House, looking very 18th Century here. Lots of filming for period dramas done here.

With the Gainsboroughs and Romneys here at Kenwood House. Note the picture of Emma Hamilton (That Hamilton Woman) in the bottom center.

Also decorated by Robert Adam.

Sense of the interior. Still one of my favorite places ever. And yes, I did get tea in the garden.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    Options

Claire - Thanks for the wonderful photos. Brought back fond memories of the years I lived in the London burbs. We lived a short distance from Hampstead Heath and had lovely picnics on the hills near Kenwood House. Liberty's was a favorite of mine and purchased many a Christmas gift for those stateside - their fabric patterns are so lovely.

Have been back a week from a 10-day trip to CA. Stayed at one of my oldest BFF's place in Pacifica (greater San Fran area), with views of the ocean from the guest room deck. Went to a 3-day family wedding celebration in Guerneville (Russian River area), re-connected with cousins not seen for twenty years, DD also there. Visiting Armstrong Woods - redwoods were outstanding. AirBnB had a hot tub on the deck & was surrounded by redwoods. Magical! Also drove along shore from Jenner back to Pacifica for a few days. Then, to Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur and 17 Mile Drive in Pebble Beach, topped off by lunch at the Pebble Beach Golf Course Lodge, on the patio overlooking the 18th hole. Will try to post some pics in the next few days. Overall, saw almost 300 miles of Pacific Coast. Beautiful weather, wonderful times.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire, Absolutely amazing pictures. Thank you for sharing and letting us live vicariously through your journey. What is that sweet treat? Yum. Very beautiful and formal environment, perfect for aristocracy. Love Liberty of London, scarves and fabric. So glad that you are back.

Celia, looking forward to pictures of your travels as well.

Been painting our interior, before my two sweet babies arrive in November. Theodore (Derivative of St. Dorothy), my mom was Dorothy, and Thaddeus, two miniature schnauzers, one is white and the other is salt and pepper. They are twins, born on my father's birthday. Twins run in our family and my father's birthday is a special day in our family. I will post their pics.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Here goes Part 2. I can see that this will be three parts. These are of where I was staying plus my foray to the opera, plus a "symposium" at the British Museum, and National Gallery. Need to go back to all of these.

The pastry is a mille-feuille. I am sorry that I didn't get back to any of the Patisserie Valerie places - so amazing - Claire

View from my window in Portobello Road.

Mural in progress.

Looking north on Portobello Road. To the right are amazing, moderately priced places to eat.

One of these places. Yum!!!

They do mean "underground"! Escalator in Holborn Station.

Destination: British Museum.

Pedestrian walkway near the British Museum.

Dropping by the Museum Tavern for a bit of ecclesiastical quaff (Abbot Ale). 

Greek temple in the British Museum.

Why I always laugh when I hear the term "symposium" used to describe something very academic and serious. This vase depicts the original meaning of the word ("drinking party"), and things were quite lively. This is a wine jar.

One of the oldest underground transport stations in the world. Remarkably clean and well-preserved compared to the New York subway.

Rehearsing for the evening's concert at St Martin-in-the-Fields. Wonderful group and pianist, and I got to hear a concert of Mozart for free. Amazing acoustics. (Church dates from the 18th Century, circa 1725, but there has been a church on that site since medieval times.)

Having tea in the crypt of St Martin's. 

Had to pay my respects to the Royal Opera House where I have seen many wonderful productions. Amazing acoustics there, plus super-elegant.

The market at Covent Garden.

One of the shops. This one has me worried.

Stage of the Coliseum where I attended an English National Opera production of Salome, a strange production of an even stranger opera. However, the singing was rapturous.

Detail of the right of stage.

One of my fave paintings - Piero di Cosimo.

Main lobby of the National Gallery.

Leonardo Da Vinci's Madonna of the Rocks.

Altarpiece by Raphael. Note the use of color and perspective and how bright compared to Leonardo.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Here is my last set of London photographs. Note the vivid colors in the paintings. - Claire

Amazing Art Deco at Harrods.

Neptune's Grotto in the Harrods fish counter. Yes, you can buy fresh fish there.

Main escalator at Harrods. The Ladies was quite spectacular as well....all marble.

Flemish style town houses in Knightsbridge.

Chelsea Bridge. So nice to finally see the Thames. Next time, I will rent a bicycle to cycle along it as good cycle lanes.

Pimlico, near where I used to stay when in London. Note the very different architecture.

In the lobby of the Tate Britain. Note that this was taken before I had looked at 300 paintings!

Constable open air painting. This was painted about 80 years before the Impressionists.

One of the very famous Turner paintings.

Another Constable painting. He loved the drama of nature.

Shifting gears to one of the Pre-Raphaelite paintings. This is notable for a number of reasons. It deliberately wants to use the format of 15th Century Italian painting with the gilt background. The women are all dressed in "aesthetic" clothing, very loose with no corsets. You can buy some of the prints at Liberty's though now 150 years since this was painted.

Note the peacocks.

I love the colors and composition of this.

I think she looks like my mother as a young woman.

Millais' Ophelia. I got the scoop on this painting. Millais was a perfectionist, and this took six months to paint. The model had to sit in a bath for hours on end, and the heating didn't always work. The poor lady almost died.

One more of my faves.

It's a huge gallery with lots of paintings.

This interior is similar in many ways to Leighton House. Just gorgeous.

Going back a few centuries to the Virgin Queen. I love the composition and colors.

Recovery time at the pub next door. They offer a "fuel up" lunch special for those visiting the Tate Britain.

Monday foray into Fortnum's for chocolates.

They don't get much better than this. Had a wonderful time selecting chocolates for my friend's birthday.

Margaret's garden with Nelson and Bluebell enjoying the sunshine.

Headed home on the Dreamliner. One of my good friends did some of the logistics for this aircraft. Uber cool.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Love all the pictures, Claire. Especially the girl in the boat painting and the chocolates.

Sorry that I have been a bit distracted, but I am getting ready for my puppies to come in about 3 weeks or so. We are repainting our interiors, which means that I had to take everything out of each room as we go. Today, I have to remove everything from the family room. The good news is, that I am donating as I am proceeding through each room!!

Currently cooking smaller meat loaves, which do have onion in them. I need to find a good mincer, because my husband hates onion chunks. Now I have to make my gluten free cornbread!!

Hugs to all my girls.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Has anyone used the Cologuard as a screening tool for colon cancer? My doctor ordered one for me to do, after a failed colonoscopy attempt last year. My thoughts are that if anything comes back suspicious, I will do the colonoscopy. I am also doing some genetic testing, to rule out a genetic component for my daughter, nieces and sisters. If there is a genetic component, I may have to revisit surgery decisions. Trying to get it all done on this year's insurance plan. I have been distracted this year by the loss of my mother, and the loss of my beloved fur friend, Sylvester. Making progress on painting the first level of our house and using the good weather to open windows and air out paint fumes. Have a bathroom, kitchen and large addition to finish painting. I do the prep work, and my husband does the painting.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I remember my old internist telling me how I might never need to do another colonoscopy and I was thrilled. The following year, I got the screening test in the mail. It's a competitor, but they work similarly. So easy, and no hassle. They are now extremely reliable as they test for genetic alteration in any cells being shed as well as blood in the stool. One of the great contributions to civilization.

If they find anything abnormal, its THEN that you go in for a look-see. 

I got out on my bicycle yesterday in the sunshine. It was wonderful. Leaves were glorious and I feel exercised. Then it clouded over and rained. Quite nasty last night waiting for the bus where one was canceled.... I had some herb tea last night when I got home prior to heading to bed.

Last night was the wine club party. I got to Seattle early as wanted to check out metal teapots. What I learned is that many people use the same word for teakettle, so I had an argument with the person in the snooty kitchen wares shop who tried to tell me that I meant a metal teakettle. Amazon sorts the same way. I may end up ordering from John Lewis (or Selfridges) and be done with it. I want something nicer than basic tearoom, but don't want to spend the earth either.

Wine club party was fun with some spectacular new vintages just released. I have one of these as part of my shipment. The winemakers were all there so fun to talk to them. They were also tasting the competition. Saw a number of people I hadn't seen in quite some time. The winery I visit has Airbnb rooms now, so that would be fun, and I can get out there with minimal effort. One of the places I really love, and perhaps I can fit in a day of skiing at White Pass which is just too far for a day trip otherwise. Plus they have their apple and pear brandy making operation going full blast now.

My friend Chris had already figured out the wine pairing of the year: Bermuda Triangle cheese with the 2014 Cedarosa from Lost River Winery. My comments (which I think he will use) are "swoon-worthy - this could get embarrassing!"

Off for another ride today as it has now cleared. This time the farm land which I just love. Plus a visit to the farm stand. Life is good. - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire, all I could hear in my ears, reading your post, was "the pot calling the kettle black." Teapot is usually decorative china.....kettle can be anything.... so funny. I just wonder, where the origins of the pot and kettle isms started. Perhaps in England?

We have some strange looking fall trees in my area. Either they are green or they are red/orange. We don't have brown, dried leaves falling. If you did not know the time of year and looked at our foliage, you might think late August or early September. A surreal feeling for sure. Our lawns are still green. In about a week or less, we set our clocks back, which will cause darkness to come an hour earlier. My house is bright white from the painting and I am looking forward to a bright winter. I hope for lots of snow and bright reflection, until we can start gaining day time back on December 22nd.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

'Tis the month to be thankful, and I am so very thankful for my life, my family, my friends, my girls on this thread. I finally received my Cologuard kit, and now have to figure out how to use it. Sick

Looking forward to a busy month with Trivia at our club, and with a super smart group of people; picking up my fur babies this month; getting my annual mammogram; signed up for healthcare today; having dinner out tomorrow evening and trying to win a $6,000 pot of cash in a drawing; son comes home from DePaul this weekend and goes to look at a vintage VW Westfalia; using my light for seasonal affective disorder today.

All day long in my area, it looked creepy, like the poem "The Highwayman," "the wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees, the moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas....." and parts of the poem "Paul Revere's Ride." In middle school, every October/November, we had to memorize those poems in their entirety for speech contests later in the Winter. I know now why the nuns selected those for us......because they reflected the season of Fall.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I will refrain from details of how to use your "kit" other than to say that I am convinced that everything will come out just fine in the long run.

I love that Alfred Noyes poem, as so often the moon appears to me like a "ghostly galleon".

Do I see the sun? Long day of work so far, and have a walk/beer tasting scheduled with a friend in a bit. Need to get to the dry cleaner and retrieve something I gave them back in September. Plus I have a donation that is overdue for cleaning.

But first press my new N. Peal black cashmere turtleneck. I would describe the condition as "new without tags". I am ready to move in for the season. What a find on eBay!!!

Bidding on a major research project. Wish us luck!!! - Claire 

• gkbuser
    Options

nice London pics Claire!

• oxygen18
    oxygen18 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Michelle, about cologuard, my gastroenterologist said that it is better than nothing, but given my hx of BC, it is not a viable substitute for a colonoscopy, one reason being that cologuard has a higher false negative rate. I was disappointed, but the colonoscopy turned out to be much easier than I had expected. You already have the kit, but this need not sway your decision. Do whatever you think is best for you.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Hey, girls...

I tried to do a colonoscopy last year, and failed the prep miserably. I did everything my gastro doctor told me, but eating a mostly raw diet, heavy in fresh fruits and veggies, kind of hung me up at the last minute. If the cologuard comes back as needing more information, I will go to my friend who is a colorectal surgeon and do her prep, etc. There are new ways of doing the prep, such as stopping food at noon on the day of fasting, then doing the prep.

This is such a great time of year to read the poetry of Noyes and Longfellow. I also love reading the book from the late 1800's called "Sunlight and Shade," which discussed the effects that seasonal changes have on life, relationships and emotions. It is really interesting that what I deem seasonal affective disorder, was known of back then.