Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Uplifting and Lively Messages. No holds barred..

Options

Comments

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

I had my neighbor over last night for dinner, and she was most appreciative. So almost done with Thanksgiving food. I am a bit stiff from all the cycling, but caught up with exercise, a good thing. Yesterday, I could see the snow approaching as it's now on the mid peaks of the Cascades. So breathtakingly gorgeous though windy.

Today is a work day, but the 7a interview was rescheduled. My role is to take notes and input into an online survey. So back to tea before I read transcripts. I need to the report set up, so we can drop information into the frame. Which is how we are going to survive this exercise.

I like the notion of "pods" for categorizing (and organizing) what I wear. I also have several. I have clothing for the various sports I do: cycling, running, hiking, skiing though a bit of crossover between sports. I have clothes for going into Seattle which are fun and dressy. I have quite a bit of business casual, though pulling back in that category, and a bit of business attire which I also need to pull back on. I need more work at home clothes where I feel professional, but which aren't as dressy as my office wear. That is the area that I am building up. (Though the Versace trousers are more business casual.) And of course a few "going out" items.

When traveling, I need to focus on items that span several of these categories. One would be my fabulous black jeans. This is how you get everything into one small suitcase. I took too much on my London trip, partly because I had anticipated it would be less warm and sunny than it turned out to be. I shall do better next time. (I did learn that a fabulous pair of black wool trousers with a touch of Lycra is a great base item in addition to the jeans.)

Back to work, but think I will start with my AM exercises..... Happy cyber Monday everyone! - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Hey, girls,

I got back my cologuard test results.....they were negative for everything.....YEAH..... If I did not already mention it, I did the genetic tests for breast cancer.....and it was fine too. My puppies got akc registered, which was a little harder because I have a rare white schnauzer, so pictures were required. Our insurance is all set and ready to go next year, with the first premium paid (binder payment.) I am checking as much off of my list as possible, before I go on my mini vaca to Chicago next week. It is my birthday week, and I usually spend a few days away before with my bff doing "girl" stuff. The ambiance of the lights on Michigan Avenue this time of year, is one of my most favorite memories and I will get to see them again. The year that I had breast cancer, my teenagers gave my north face long puffer coat away......it was a valentine's present from dh,and my daily coat on cold days. I have been upset about that for at least one year. It was only 4 or 5 years old, and like new. On cyber Monday, zappos gave me the deal of a lifetime on a really pretty navy one. Mine was black, but was unable to find it.

Puppies are resting now, and I have to run and get them appropriate fitting harnesses and a dog carrier. It is their 12 week vet appt tomorrow.

Going try and bring my tree down today and decorated for Christmas, before I leave for Chicago!!!

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Toasting the lights of Michigan Avenue!!! I can't believe that someone in your family got rid of your down puffer coat...and they did this during treatment! That is just simply cruelty. 

I have been working on moving the research project forward. I will only say that the location is Chicago. One of the arts organizations. 

My velvet AG jeggings arrived today, and fortunately stretch a bit. So toasty! I shall enjoy the days I work from home. Loving the trifecta of toasty, sexy, and festive.

Just in from a brisk walk which has re-energized me. I still need to lift weights, but will do that as dinner cooks. I think I need to work on those two enormous stalks of Brussels sprouts that I bought in a demented moment about 10 days ago. I may roast some carrots along with them to have with the smoked pork chop from the German butcher in Pike Place. Still have wild rice, emmer faro, and mushroom risotto left as well as cranberry sauce. 

Time to think about getting a tree. Wonder if I will snag the "formerly in the business" discount from the seller in Redmond. Hoping to get a Noble Fir which is so like the balsam firs I sold as a young girl in Vermont. But won't put up until Advent.

Give your little ones a big hug from their Auntie, Michelle. Enjoy your birthday week. - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire, you are right. I am so aggravated about having to purchase a new coat. But, it did come, was a great price through Zappos, and I love the color. I have had the puppies by myself for the last 5 days, and they are alot of work. It is hunting season, which is over today (at least the shot gun part is). Both dh and ds got one this year, so any recipes for deer meat. We had tornadoes in our area last night, although we did not have sirens go off. The puppies did great and I watched the warnings on the tv in the family room. Several towns outside where we live were hit. Just last week we received 7 inches of snow. The weather is unpredictable and my backyard is a mud sty.

Your velvet leggings sound awesome and I might copy you and get the cuddl duds version. Right now, with puppy handling, inexpensive is the way to go.

Tomorrow I leave for my birthday week Chicago adventure, and am a bit worried about what to pack. I thought I would layer some leggings inside duck boots, bring a down vest with an Athleta pullover, in case it is not too cold. My new down coat, with matching gloves and hat (smile), a couple pair of cuddl duds, a couple of casual dresses foor putting over the leggings when I am taking off my coat to shop. The good thing is that these leggings dry very fast, if I had to rinse out a pair. We will be gone for 4 days (me and my bff) dh hates "going shopping." I am not really looking for anything, but maybe a scarf or two. My winter adirondak boots by Ugg are too big, and I need a smaller size. Someone at the shoe store told me, oh, go a size up....never again....I am an 8....straight 8....and will always buy my size or not make a purchase. I will save the ones that I do have for winter walking, when it is much colder and layer some smartwool socks.

I do not even care that it is my birthday week. I don't count years anymore....I count "negative" mammograms. A birthday is just that, but another year without needed a mammogram every six months, is a full year of living it up (healthy of course). I feel that I start my year, after a good mammogram. does anyone else feel the same?

Hoping to get a tree up before my dh comes home tonight. We shall see....

A thousand points of light for President Bush who died on Friday. He was a great President and knew how to be a diplomat. I will miss him.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Now just when was my mammogram? Oops, missed an opportunity to live it up. Perhaps not, as have been doing more than fine in that arena. Recipes headed your way.

Glad that you love your new coat. Believe it or not, I could do with a wool winter coat as had to retire my favorite one ever a year or so ago. However, wearing my 17-year old jacket with a fur ruff which still looks fabulous. I just want a more formal coat that isn't my fur coat. My YSL isn't warm enough when temps dip below 45 degrees.

I remember the time I "went up a size" with hiking boots. Talk about wearing thick socks!

I THINK that I made headway against the embedded mud in my carpets today. If I ever have the choice, it will be (mop-able!!!!) hardwood floors.

Outside lights are up which adds a bit of needed sparkle to a day where the sun neither rose nor set. Yes, I too am very sad about the late, great President Bush. At the same time, I am convinced that he and his beloved Barbara are once again together. Truly the passing of an era.

Ready to get a tree and let the festivities begin. Happy, happy December everyone! - Claire 

• gkbuser
    gkbuser Member Posts: 300
    Options

Looking for recommendations/ experiences. My vent for today is: I'm so sick and tired of my non stick pans! I feel like I've tried everything to keep them non-stick but after about six to seven months my non stick pans become stick and become horrible to clean. I'm considering going to a cast iron skillet. Has anyone done this? Have you been happy with it, and do you have a glass top stove. Worried about what a cast iron skillet would do to my glass top stove. I know there are some good Cooks on this thread.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

They cost the earth, but I just love my two Le Creuset frying pans. The new ones are designed with flat bottoms so not an issue with a glass-topped stove. They are easy to clean. You do need to use a bit of butter or olive oil for cooking.

The way I financed the purchase of these was to cash in my Master Card points for Amazon gift cards, and then use to buy the frying pans. I got one for 40% off because the box was damaged!!! The frying pan was more than fine.

I expect to have these for the rest of my life.

I think there may be some less expensive ones out there such as those designed by Martha Stewart. And of course, you can ask for one of these for Christmas.

While on the topic, I use my Le Creuset Dutch ovens all the time. I know there are other ways to do stews, but these work every single time. I am a great believer in investing in good cookware. Because exactly what items do you use all the time? These are the ones that should give you pleasure. - Claire 

• TaRenee
    TaRenee Member Posts: 406
    Options

Snow kept me home from work for 2 days. I'm totally not complaining! We got almost 11 1/2 inches. It was glorious!

This tree is in the field between my house and the neighbor. All it needs is some lights and it’s the perfect Christmas tree covered in snow.

Sigh. I love snow! We never get this much. It’s melting fast, but was so beautiful coming down.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Envious of the snow, and can't wait for enough for Nordic skiing. Right now, celebrating a major presentation plus another life revelation where I have come out on top. Tree has to wait another day or 2 as slim pickings at the place when I stopped yesterday. Suspect they are cutting it down as I write this.

Starting to feel super-festive. - Claire 

• gkbuser
    gkbuser Member Posts: 300
    Options

Claire thanks for the advice on the pans. I will have to look into that.

TaRenee, that snow is absolutely gorgeous! And your tree is beautiful. I love the snow. We finally got our tree up

We finally got our tree up. I'm feeling festive as well!

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 852
    Options

As I prepare for my 2nd exchange on Monday, I have been gathering my important documents and reminders from last surgeries and other items...found this in the pile of items, written a year ago thanksgiving when I was still deep into the throes of the incorrect surgery that took place:

thanksgiving thankfulness:

I am thankful I can email Whippetmom (Breast Implant Sizing thread) and she always finds time to email me back.

I am thankful I am not diseased anymore.

I am thankful I only have to look at my potentially failed reconstruction once a day - when getting out of the shower.

I am thankful my rcn is man made and has nothing to do with the nice beautiful person I am.

I am thankful my physical activity, mind and ability has not been affected by any of this.

I am thankful I am a stronger person from this.

:)

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Oh, girls, I have missed all of you. I was out of town all last week, and celebrated my birthday on Friday and this Wednesday as well. The puppies are keeping me hopping and I have been working on leash training with them. I love them so much, and am thankful to be their mom. I have been getting thrashed with their little needle teeth....

On the cookware question, I only use cast iron, and love it. I just used mine to cook some scrambled eggs in and they were great. I have never been a fan of the non stick cookware. You can cook just about everything in a cast iron skillet, including meats, sandwiches, stir fry, veggies, cornbread and cakes too!!!

On December 16th, two days from now, it is the 2 year anniversary of this thread. It has been a wonderful source of comfort and direction. I am inspired by all of you, each and every day.

It has been a difficult week, with the sudden hospicing and passing of my husband's uncle. My mother in law fell today, and had to go to the ER. Just last week she made the very long trip to see her brother (the uncle) in rehab, only to return home and be told that he was going to hospice. Did I mention the wake and funeral are today and tomorrow? I am home with the puppies and overseeing another relatives cats//home.

I think that I am letting my husband pick our kid's Christmas presents this year. Not in the mood, although I did put my tree up yesterday. I will select some items for my husband, and have no idea what to get him. Thinking of a muzzle loader for muzzle loader deer season or something for the ATV's. Any ideas for the man who has everything?

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I just got my tree up an hour or so ago so finally feel festive! Love this year's, though it's a bit off plumb. It's got the most gorgeous foliage, and I am counting hauling it from car to apartment, and then putting it in the stand as exercise.

Otherwise, a successful week with a winning presentation and helping out a friend with his resume. Almost where I need to be with presents. Need a few more ingredients to get my pudding steaming operation up and running, but nearly there on that front too!

I am thankful to be able to celebrate in style and to be fit enough to tackle a 7 foot tree by myself. Eternally grateful that I am still here and have my wits about me. Not to mention my friends. I did a run today in the low December light and was moved to tears by the beauty of it all. Yes, I am thankful. - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Lovely trees, ladies. So, what are the plans for the week? Last full week before Christmas, and I have only purchased gifts for my niece and her fur babies. I decided that I am not buying for my entire family. Too much stress and not necessary. No one else does it, so I am just purchasing for my sisters and one niece. I have to do a cat run in a little while, and am thinking of making pretty bows for my family. My dh's family draws names, and it is so much easier. I am hoping to get organized enough to start beading again. I did work on the memory keepers this summer and taught myself a new technique. It is a little smelly, so I might be able to create some pieces in the basement with the windows open.

Got to run....hugs to all.

• TaRenee
    TaRenee Member Posts: 406
    Options

one more picture from the snow. It’s all gone now, but it sure was pretty while it was coming down! image

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Thank you Michelle! Finally have my pudding steaming operation up and running with the first round of puddings (3 of 12) due out of the pot shortly. It smells amazing and very Christmas-y here. I will be swapping one of these for a bottle of amazing champagne so have New Year's Eve covered. I also have a coupon for $10 off a $20 fish order so planning on fish to go with the champagne. This is subject to change.

I did a bit of Christmas shopping yesterday, and snagged a cashmere scarf for one sister. The other sister is easy as she likes wine. Boring perhaps, but not if you like red wine. I am able to send small producer wines that you can't find elsewhere in the country. One of the presents I got myself is a gift set of the moisturizers I use, and the other is a YSL Rive Gauche V-neck black sweater that is just fabulous. I am slowly moving into a style that features a lot of tailored trousers or special jeans, paired with a gorgeous sweater and jewelry. I feel stylish and amazing in these clothes, and also professional when on business calls from home.

I still have two gift cards to get and I am done....or at least I will be, once done with the puddings. 

Decided that I **needed** a steak dinner, so about to do that. Have squash defrosting from the massive squash-slaying of last month. Thinking spinach. I should finish the stalk of Brussels sprouts, but I am "sprouted out". Officially!!!

Loving my tree!!! - Claire 

• MDRR
    MDRR Member Posts: 63
    Options

TaRenee

that is a beautiful photo!

• trmtab
    Options

Had my exchange today and am resting in a hotel overnight as my home is 1.5 hrs away and didn't want the bumpy ride and the 83 y.o. mother who now lives with us and would be having a cow over my condition and not let me rest!

I am good.  They only used a high strength Tylenol during surgery (plus anesthesia of course) and I am just taking Tylenol now. I do have the hard stuff, but if I can do okay with Tylenol (which I did at MX and first exchange) so much the better.

I am supposed to see the PS in two weeks...but that is New Year's Eve, so don't see her until Jan 2, Yikes!  I do have emergency contact and my PCP at home knows I may reach out to her...but have all good thoughts so far!

Only walked 7K, so far, but that seems okay given the procedure...walking up and down the hotel hallway, and was okay enough to go into supermarket with DH on way home from hospital so we could have some food supplies...the room has a living area with wet bar so I am good with the lite fare we were able to get.

Take care all, TT 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

TT, congrats on the exhange. What made you decide to go from lumpectomy to mastectomy? I agree that staying closer to the surgery center is important for a couple of days, if possible. You can rest undisturbed and watch some television. If I had to do an away surgery, I would definitely stay close for a while. My drive was 10 minutes.

Claire, what is Christmas pudding? Is it like a fruit cake? I looked it up online, and from what I saw, it looked like fruity bread.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Christmas puddings are actually a bit different from a fruitcake or bread. They are a steamed pudding, where a fat binds to the sugar, and then sifted dry ingredients and liquids are added. A very old type of dessert, but delicious. I have also made similar chocolate and ginger puddings, but with butter. (Perfect for winter!!)

In the case of Christmas pudding, the fat is suet and it's combined with sugar, molasses, flour/breadcrumbs, spices, fruits, nuts and peel, brandy, eggs, and a lot of elbow grease. They steam for several hours, and later are heated, set alight, and served with brandy butter (hard sauce). They keep for several months in a cool place. Quite the spectacle as a Christmas Dinner finale. (The Queen has 1,500 of these made for her household - suspect a quite different recipe.) They are a family tradition which I am proud to uphold.

The closest North American equivalent is Boston Brown Bread, also worth a taste. 

I am half done with this operation, and will distribute starting tomorrow. One of these is in exchange for NYE champagne. 

Need to think about Christmas Dinner. Most likely a rack of lamb with winter vegetables. I will do a run, ride or ski earlier depending on weather. Will gaze at my tree. Not sure whom to invite as the person I invited last year has decamped to sunnier climes. No matter, as just love these gloomy days of low light and endless mystery. I will offer up major prayers of Thanksgiving.

Because it's been a splendid year on the whole, and I have a lot to be thankful for. Not the least of which is that I am here to report my adventures to everyone else on these boards. Now, that is an accomplishment!

Merry Christmas!!! - Claire 

• trmtab
    Options

Doing well and while I was in bed from 9:30 until 7am, really only slept from 10-5...got up at 5 for bathroom and meds and then rested in bed until 7.

Taking another night at the hotel before returning home tomorrow...this was the plan.  Feeling good, but going slow.  Don't plan to leave hotel today, but do walk the hallway each hour for 5 minutes -- per Drs instruction to start walking day of surgery and that will be my main form of exercise, plus stationary bike, until released to arm exercises in 4 weeks.  

All good otherwise, still just Tylenol, so I am very happy with that.

Even after five surgeries is always is a shock at the weight of a coffee pot or quart bottle of water that you don't think about...until you do.

Michelle -- after two LX without clear margins, I was basically not given any other choice than MX...or I guess find another surgeon who would do a third LX.  By that point I had had a biopsy, and two LXs all "just" DCIS, so all stage 0 non-invasive.  I did insist on the team marking the sentinel node, but not taking it. This way if the final pathology came back as still just DCIC, I avoided the LE issues and would be unimpeded with exercise or wearing sleeves while flying, etc. By marking the SN, if the pathology was invasive after all, then they could go back.  Gratefully is was just DCIC, so while not today or for the next month or so, I can do planks and push ups and fly without compression devices.

All that said, I do and did think a MX for a stage 0 pre-cancer is overkill/1600th century and if this was a man's disease there probably would be a pill to clear out the ducts so as to avoid this outcome. 

Cool but sunny here in central Va, Happy Tuesday, TT

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Every time I come to the Hormonal Forum, I have to keep my eyes down and look for this thread. I need to search for it in a different way, because I start seeing the other threads that are not very positive. I feel so blessed, thankful and every uplifting feeling one could have, to have made it two years with this thread and met so many nice people. Having this thread, and discussing goals, has kept me moving forward with a plan. I have accomplished alot in two years and have been able to share some of my adventures on here. I want others to see that a normal life is possible, while recovering from breast cancer treatment and taking an anti hormonal regimen. We have become a tiny community, within a community, that lifts each other up.

It is drizzling and damp in Illiinois today. Have been snuggling with a heating pad for a couple of hours. Will start to wrap a few gifts tonight, and I only bought a few. I thought it would be nice, this year, to let my husband do the purchasing and see how it feels to come up with ideas and spend money. My kids were disappointed that I was not going to purchase them clothes, and revealed that they have really liked their Christmas presents. So, I did an American Eagle run today and a JcPenney run. My husband put a new exhaust and muffle system on my son's newly acquired VW Westfalia with a pop up top....vintage 1985. I think my CPA/MST (currently studying for his masters) son, who sported a man bun for about three years, is a hipster. My daughter is a preppy girl. So interesting. My husband is impossible to buy for, and so far I have purchased arrows and tips for a cross bow. My son comes home tomorrow and I am going to send him shopping for his father.....

And, that is the way that it is.....

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

michelle - the way to avoid seeing other topics in the forum on hormones is to go to the header box of this thread - originally written by you - and click on the "Add To My Favorite Topics", so then when you log on you can just click the blue "My Favorite Topics" bar in the upper left of the screen and your thread will appear so you can go directly to it.

• MDRR
    Options

Michelle (and all) - I also appreciate -- greatly -- this topic! While I do like to hear others and support all of us, I also enjoy a special place for positive posts. My experience so far has been fine -- I appreciate my entire medical team. I had my BMX in march, 2018, and my goal to make it on a hiking/camping trip to the bottom of the grand canyon carrying a 35 pound pack became their goal as well. Plus I was dying to return to my senior softball team (we play all over the country -- all of us 60+ -- and it's so much fun!) and the golf course. It all happened and I feel quite fortunate! Do I worry about the future and recurrence? It does cross my mind, of course. But I try not to dwell on what I can't control. So far my AI experience has been fine. If I find bone loss when I get my 1 year dexa in March, I'll deal with it as best I can.

Hope you all have a great holiday!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Thanks Special K....I am going to do that....

MDRR .......you go girl. If things don't work out for you with arimidex, you can take Tamoxifen. I had osteopenia in my hips, and chose the Tamoxifen route, indirectly. I feel really good and, I have two miniature schnauzer 15 week old puppies. There is nothing better than overdosing on puppy kisses. Welcome to the group.

• MDRR
    Options

Awww, puppies are the best. Enjoy! Happy holidays everyone :)

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I got to play Evil Auntie to a puppy today. So fun. This was delivering a pudding to a friend of mine. Lots of running around, but I did sneak in a run. Skiing tomorrow. So stoked.

Then I came home and tackled (shredded!!!) the red cabbage which is now braising in the oven, in a large pot along with onions, apples, garlic, spices and other items. It will cook down to the most delicious dish in a couple more hours. 

I agree that it's only too easy to get sucked into what Mark Twain referred to as "awfulizing". A lot of these ills can be solved by getting enough exercise. (Not to mention that being fit is really helpful when you have a large red cabbage to slay.)

The mountains are covered with snow, so were just breathtaking in the distance today. 

Feeling very Christmas-y here right now, especially with all the spices in the red cabbage. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. - Claire 

• MDRR
    Options

Nice images Claire -- Merry Christmas!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire, what are you making with the giant cabbage?

MDRR, which state are you from? I am in Illinois....

I scored a partial down paneled front and back jacket by Greg Norman for dh. Thinking maybe a Lowes' gift card as well.

• MDRR
    Options

I'm in Maryland; my username is MDRR because our travel senior softball team is called Maryland Roadrunners.