Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Uplifting and Lively Messages. No holds barred..

Options

Comments

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

I suspect that SAD has been known since time immemorial which is why we have such things as bonfires and festivals of lights in the wintertime. I love the contrast between light and darkness this time of year. This is from yesterday's walk.

We walked over 4 miles so felt we deserved that beer. It was so fun getting caught up with her and she was thrilled to get the loaf of fresh bread that I brought. She was off to buy steaks for her dinner guests and I went to pick up my bicycle.

This is always a special weekend for me as the one when I discovered that I would be able to cycle throughout chemo, but not at full power. That meant that I would be able to get outside. I am so thankful to be just fine at this point.

I will be working a good deal of the time, but thankful that I have the work. Not to mention that what I am doing is interesting as opposed to thankless. 

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! - Claire

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Foul day for a ride, but did 20 miles anyway. Plus a ton of work.

Fortunately, getting to enjoy a bit of time listening to the late, great Charles Aznavour. I didn't get to properly honor his life as my head was in my own adventures. But he was one of the most wonderful chanteurs ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHl-piDm0bg

I was fortunate to see him once in concert. One of the highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t66RQM3ZCNU

RIP.... Charles! Tu est magnifique!! - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Beautiful picture, Claire.

In preparation mode for my twin doggies to come home!!! Husband and son drove to Des Moines 5 hours away, to purchase a VW 1985 Westfalia. My son has been looking at them for a long time, and decided to purchase this one for his adventures next summer and fall. He can work on it when he is home from DePaul in December. My husband drove us around, as my daughter and I sat in the back and my son in the front. Truly felt like the Griswold Christmas Vaca family. We had some good laughs and I know my son will love his hipster van.

We put our clocks back one hour last night, so darkness comes earlier in the day. It will be dark at 4:52pm tomorrow. Is it like that in other areas of the country? I looked up Boca Raton and the sun will set at 5:36pm there tomorrow, Hawaii it will set at 5:54pm, Sydney Australia it will set at 7:26pm tomorrow.

Now that the paint fumes have cleared in the first level of my house, I can get back to organization and preparation for my doggies!!! I have been hibernating upstairs for a week and a half, because the fumes were getting to me.

Hugs to all my girls....

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I think a Westfalia would be a blast to own. So sensible. But suspect it needs work. You do need to know your camping partners really well prior to heading out. 

It's been so dark over the past 3 days that who could tell when the sun was rising or setting? Got soaked to the skin yesterday doing a ride. Of course, part of the problem was that I knew I wouldn't be more than a bit (?????) wet if I cycled through the water over the road as opposed to riding the 3 miles around. The water was up to my chain, and my feet were totally immersed. Major squish.

Setting the clocks back means that in six weeks, the sun rises just before 8a as opposed to one hour later. That is really important to me. Got out today at midday to mostly sunshine with rain on both ends. Cycling clothes are now washed and drying. Finally back on track with riding.

Did I ever make the right move buying 8 pairs of ultra-toasty socks. Saved my bacon today as came back chilled from my ride. I am in my cashmere sweats so all is toasty. 

I was going to make chicken soup tonight but steak won. Roasting tons of veggies to have with on top of some amazing potatoes. Next to last meal of fresh beans.

Will make sure that I get out at midday where possible. Makes all the difference. So does skiing. Even cycling in pelting rain helps...or perhaps it takes one's mind off lack of light.

Need to investigate the roasting veggie front....then make my two mini steaks. Hugz back.  - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

The Westfalia is actually pretty fabulous, with the original parts, etc. We took a tour around the neighborhood, and I could think about.....was why does this sound like a lawn mower? I had a VW 411, fuel injection, in the early 80s.

My autobody man returned my car today, and it smells like paint fumes. It looks great and I did not have to turn it in to my insurance. However, I do feel like the parking lot with an obstacle course should be reworked. There is a mail box on one end of the short row, and two rows over a fire hydrant with poles surrounding it. In addition, there are the cart returns, etc. There are 6 ways to enter and exit this parking lot and people cut through it all of the time.

Got to run....

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

At least not a tight parking garage which is why I have dings on my Subaru. No matter, because Rexxie still gets me where I am going. That is, unless I expire from the scent of the cooking chicken soup.

I ordered the Victorian tiles for my kitchen today. Plus, my new "pre-scratched" Alessi teapot arrived. Will test it out in the AM.

Nasty and rainy here tonight, but did get in a nice 5k run when it was relatively dry. I am using "run" optimistically, because my foot is a bit sore. Speaking of which, my socks are super-fab. 

Off for dinner (soup, bread, wine). Life is good. - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

My babies came home today. It took all day long to get them, spend time with the breeder, understand the paperwork and health care needs etc. I have many years experience with the breed, but am always open to new information. Feeling so blessed and loved.....

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

So thrilled for you, Michelle!!! Enjoy the moment.

Looking forward to pictures, and most of all, to your amazing moments with your little ones. - Claire

• TaRenee
    TaRenee Member Posts: 406
    Options

That’s so exciting Michelle! I can’t wait to see pictures!

Today I had my final steps done. Nipple recon has healed and I got my tattoos. Oh. My. Gosh. What a feeling! I’ve grinned all day. They look good I think. I’m happy with them. So excited! I feel like I’ve reached an end of sorts.

😁😁😁👏👏

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I hope you are doing something wonderful to celebrate TaRenee. Nothing like feeling whole again.

I had the most wonderful days of cycling this past weekend. Busy today, but should be less crazy for the rest of the week. I have been looking at new ways of cooking fowl for Thanksgiving. I may braise a pheasant, but we shall see.

Getting major use out of my teapot. Such a pleasure to have a really nice everyday one.

Hoping for puppy pictures soon....hint, hint Michelle. - Claire 

Some pictures from the past weekend....what a gift of splendid weather. First pictures is of cabbage roses from one of the flower farms. These go into winter bouquets, but could also be eaten, as they are really cabbages.

Barn in the countryside before the mist lifted.

Along the Sammamish River during Sunday's ride. Just love the light and colors.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Congrats, TaRenee!!! These things just take time. No one better understands this, than us. Who ended up doing your tats?

Claire, gorgeous pics as usual. I am tired out from the puppies. OMG.... they are bundles of energy. Soon, I will have permission to walk them, instead of making backyard runs 12x per day. The need their third set of shots, which will be on November 30th. I already love them so much, but they will never replace Sylvester. I will always think of him and love his memories. Theodore Blasius McMillan and Thaddeus Aristotelis McCloud, Telly and Taddy, know that Sylvester was here first from his scent on rugs and in the backyard. They embrace the areas that he loved, as they appear knowing how much I loved him.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

No, of course your new ones will never replace Sylvester. Can tell you are a bit overwhelmed with "motherhood". Soon enough, everything will settle in. I was actually a bit relieved not to get the big research assignment today. Christmas is on once again!!! Not to mention skiing. Don't want to miss that!

I had a relatively easy day, and grateful for that after all the frenetic work. Got in 6 miles of walking/running so caught up on exercise. This was in the most glorious sunshine.

Making a dinner of mussels and a salad, both recipes I gleaned in this year's travels. The salad is based on something fab I had at the National Portrait Gallery in London.

Back to dinner which awaits. - Claire 

EDITED TO ADD: Got the word early AM that all is fine on the mammogram front. So another thing where I am beyond thankful.

• TaRenee
    Options

Michelle, I got my tats done by Tara Dunsmore of PinkInk Tattoos. She is a BC survivor and nurse and got into doing tats after she got hers and she was really unhappy with the process and results. She started her business and now travels all over doing them. She did it in my PS office and gave me information to file for insurance (which I need to do).

I’m still smiling!

Oh, and Puppies!!!! They sound wonderful. I bet the do wear you out tho!

• TaRenee
    Options

Claire, Congrats on the clear mammo!!!!!!

• gkbuser
    gkbuser Member Posts: 300
    Options

TaRenee, congratulatoons on finishing your final steps in the process! So glad that you love it

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire, congrats on the mammogram!!! I did mine on Monday and am awaiting results from my doctor. They no longer read them while you wait, but I did take a look at them and knew what my bc mammogram films looked like. Was not much significant on these, from my untrained eye. Hopefully, it will be an all clear and another year!!

The babies are wearing me out. So glad that I did this now, and did not wait longer. I am still in dog mom mode and will put the work in to get them socialized and trained. The are cute and so smart. Loving every minute of puppyhood.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I am happy to have a bit of time off prior to the research project getting underway in earnest next week. So I made sure that I snagged Thanksgiving dinner yesterday at Pike Place market. Since it will be me, and perhaps one other person, I decided to try a guinea fowl, and have selected the wine. I was able to snag one at the butcher whose main business is supplying the area restaurants. You can get the most fabulous things there.  So now the challenge is to match the way I cook the bird to the wine. I think I will be casseroling it in wine with shallots and turnips, along with some fresh herbs. That will pair with the 2008 Malbec just perfectly.

I also have the glue and sawtooth picture hangers to hang my gorgeous tiles. It took a bit of doing to figure out how to do the job, but now I have everything and about to do Step 1 prior to heading out on my ride. I will see if there are still turnips at the farm stand, and what other delicious vegetables await. I have been shoveling in the veggies to keep up with my purchases. I think I will do Romanesco broccoli, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes along with the guinea fowl plus make a gravy out of the wonderful base. No dressing this year, but I do have a pasture-raised chicken in the freezer that I will roast at some point.

Which reminds me that I do want to cook up the cranberries into sauce which I think will be sublime with everything.

Probably a pumpkin custard for dessert. Simple and delish, and wonderful for breakfast the next day.

Fog is starting to lift, so off for my ride in a few..... - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Yummy!!! Claire, how do you make the cranberry sauce from real raw cranberries? Claire, if you were here, you would so be going to my sister in law's house with me and would feel at home. She is from Washington, D.C., is Jewish, and a very giving person. My brother in law, appreciates all the different wines.

Received my mammogram results.....fine..... yes.....I will see the mammogram department next year! I am so thankful for my life, my family, my friends, my furbabies, and tamoxifen.

Hugs to all my girls.....

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Congrats on a good mammogram, Michelle! 

Now onto the important points of the season. Cranberry sauce is beyond simple. Dump a standard bag of cranberries into a pot with a smidge of water in the bottom. Peel 4 satsumas and slice across the sections, then separate the sections and place on top of the cranberries. Medium heat to get everything cooking. Add sugar to taste....plan on 3/4 cup. Cook until cranberries pop and then turn off heat. Let stand for a few minutes and check sweetness. Add additional sugar if needed. Chill until needed.

I use turbinado sugar which I get at Trader Joe's or Sugar in the Raw. Much tastier with fruit than standard sugar. The great thing about this recipe is that you fake out people into thinking you actually slaved over the sauce!!!! It's good with all manner of dishes, and suspect it would even be good for breakfast with yogurt.

Talking about slaving, I have a 15 lb pumpkin roasting in the oven for pumpkin custard with the rest headed for the freezer. I slew (cut in half with a cleaver) and seeded. When done, I will scoop out the pulp and freeze most of it to use as squash for the winter. Guess what, I bought a second one!! Just so easy when you think you could do with a yellow veg.

I bought a lovely red cabbage at the farm stand, and I have apples and red onions, so have that in my future as well. Below are a few pix from today's adventures. Wondering if there is a pumpkin pie ride tomorrow? Hugz…. - Claire 

Thought the light was absolutely exquisite.

Along the road. Just love this place which always restores my soul, especially when nearly deserted. BTW - not that far from where I live and bears and cougars in those hills (which also contain expensive houses). The land next to the river floods which is why it has remained as farm land.

Looking towards Mount Si and the Cascades. You can just see the place where I ski in the notch towards the right of the picture. Eagles and ospreys nest in the trees next to the river.

I came home with two of the babies...$5 each. Hubbard squash is $3 a pound in the supermarket.

• gkbuser
    gkbuser Member Posts: 300
    Options

I had my whole breast ultrasound and a mammogram last month. All clear there! But guys I got word on Wednesday that my mom's colon cancer has spread to multiple areas in her right lung. I have a big trip on Tuesday leaving Iowa Early driving all the way to Indiana going with my sister to take my mom to her oncology appointment at 1:30 then we have to drive back to Iowa because I have to work on Wednesday. So does my husband. My husband is going with me. He's going to do some odd jobs at Mom's while we're at the appointment. Everyone's very overwhelmed. Mom wants to die at home. Nobody really knows what that looks like or if that's even possible. Of course my solution is to uproot her and bring her closer to me so I can manage things. My sister is retired and wants to do fun things and she feels like she's always on call for things with Mom.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I am so sorry about your mother, GK. Sounds like an absolutely rotten time all around. Glad though that your mammogram was clear. 

I think honoring your mother's wishes depends on what's feasible, and also how much longer she most likely has. I will say that it is time to double-check that all her paperwork is in order, including the powers of attorney and advance directives. I am not saying that it's time for round the clock nursing, but it could be helpful to talk with hospice professionals.

Because you want to make decisions that are the best for everyone concerned. 

Will be thinking about you on Tuesday and good luck! - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Gk, so sorry to hear about your mother. I know that it is tough, and my prayers are with you.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I did genetic testing for hereditary breast cancers. It was negative, but there was something of unknown origin, that they will keep on file and inform me if they are ever able to identify a new gene. There are no changes in diagnosis or surgeries, etc. I will get the paperwork in the mail. Originally, they wanted me to come in next week and I told the nurse, just tell me the results. I think it is not fair to mess with people over long weekends or holidays. I told them also, if it were positive for brac1 or 2, I would book an appt with my surgeon. I am so thankful for negative results on both the genetic testing and my mammogram. I can breathe a little easier now.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

So thankful too for you Michelle! Another one off the list to move forward with your life. Good for you on insisting. Geez. I can't imagine why it would be OK in their minds to make someone wait another week.

Just got in from the most glorious run. So wonderful to be able to do these things in daylight. Did I mention that I go further and faster than if doing an 8 pm walk? Plus, I had two dragonflies alight on my jacket. Just magical.

I made French onion soup last night and it was at least as good as anything I've had. So another one for the winter repertoire. The pumpkins are now cooked up with the first batch already in the freezer. I swear I must be part squirrel. But fortunately cooking vegetables and not baking cakes.

Off to the supermarket as fabulousness requires a shot of hair color. Plus, I can multi-task with some work I need to do.

Congrats again, Michelle! - Claire 

• TaRenee
    Options

Congrats on your good news Michelle!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Thank you Claire and TaRenne....appreciate the uplifting comments... :)

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Wanted to take a moment and wish everyone the happiest of Thanksgivings. About to tackle the feast and was fortunate enough to get in a dry ride a couple of hours ago. Love the low light and the sleeping earth.

So much to be thankful for....and especially all the support for those less than stellar days. Happy Thanksgiving!!! - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Gorgeous picture, Claire!

I hope everyone had a wonderful day and weekend to come!! Theodore and Thaddeus are doing very well and growing like gangbusters. I am going to try and take pictures with my good camera. They are 11 weeks old, can use the dog door (I supervise) to go outside and sleep through the night.

We have the weirdest weather in Illinois. Illinois saw 7 inches of snow last week, and 53 degree days this week. We have leaves on the ground and green leaves in trees. Anyone else having unusual weather patterns?

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I have a dinner in the oven that is making itself. Roasted veg plus some pork sausages with cranberries and walnuts. Very simple. Feeling my ride today, and also feel that I am back on track with exercise.

Had a fun evening in Seattle last night listening to some Brazilian accordion music at the wine bar while sipping on Syrah that reminded me of my rides in late August with the scent of overripe blackberries where I would stop and gorge. This was after picking up some lovely bubble bath at Body Shop (British Rose...mmmmmm) and snagging a pair of fabulous Versace wool gabardine trousers at the resale shop. Was happy to learn that the Rillettes I had made for my friend had gone to celebrate his housemate's 40th birthday. I am not surprised that there were no leftovers.

I learned that the Armani smoking jacket that I snagged a year or so ago is back in style, and also figured out that my cashmere cape with fur collar is exactly the right outer garment to wear over to stay warm!

Today's ride was along the lake with a spot of weak sunshine, and otherwise low clouds. Very poetic and good exercise as needed to be diligent about the wet leaves and gravel. The light on the lake was just magical. 

Not quite ready for Christmas. Have my neighbor Bev coming to help finish Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow evening. She is great fun, so should be a good time. 

Trying to avoid work.....when will I ever learn? That said, it's been the most fabulous Thanksgiving break. Onwards to Christmas!! - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire, the food and environment of Seattle sound wonderful. We are currently having rain, then wind, then ice, then snow, in Illinois. I did take the puppies on a brief walk, in the rain, on their leash divider (same leash with two different leads). I have to get different harnesses for them because theirs are pretty crappy. I did not want to invest too much, because they will grow. But, I need them to be walking with me now and going #2 so that I can pick it up. My husband does not think I will walk them 5 times per day, but I will and probably will really enjoy it!!

Your smoking jacket and cape combo sound very on point. Would you say that you have a wardrobe capsule? I have several wardrobes, 1. clothes that can be worn around the dogs and have the potential to get snagged by puppy toenails 2. athleisure 3. going out/family events. I don't dress chic around the puppies and have even purchased walmart leggings because I do not want to ruin my better leggings.

We have had the Influenza B detected in our area and everyone that I know is sick. On Thanksgiving, I developed pain in my right ear, uncomfortable glands in neck, unwell feeling, which progressed to full body aches, stomach upset and fatigue. I did get a flu shot in September, but this reminds me a bit of flu symptoms. Hopefully, the snow and lower temps will kill germs off soon.