Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• DCISinAZ
    DCISinAZ Member Posts: 135
    Options

Vargadoll - that is ridiculous! I would definitely call the radiation center and tell them that nurse told you that. Completely unacceptable. I'm not one to turn people in for things, to did tell someone who has just been through what you have been through that is not OK. Especially at a facility like that.

It's weird the ups and downs, isn't it? I saw my breast surgeon last week, she said everything looked good. She said she is still surprised the MO Didn't recommend tamoxifen for me. Which of course makes me start wondering if I should see a different medical oncologist to see if they have a different recommendation. So, that throws me for a tailspin for a few days and then I move on for a couple weeks, and then something else gets my wheels turning.

• Bevmomduck
    Bevmomduck Member Posts: 91
    Options

yeah, varga. That comment was so unnecessary! You'd think nurses in that specialty would have better training. I am not looking at the calendar cause I really don't want to know when my follow up scans are (head in the sand)

Yesterday I had 2 PT appts and post surgery follow up for wrist and I realized that of the whole last year, I was actually looking forward to a medical appointment!! it was the PT with myofasiclal release around my implants! So good I wish I could continue as long as possible. The more I regain muscle control in my shoulders the more I feel the area around the implants. Does anyone else actually feel the boob circles when you reach up in a cabinet?

Married daughter is so cute being in newlywed love -- and just got asked to play in the orchestra of Andrea Bocelli when he comes to town next year! Ironic since her husband is an operatic tenor, too- this is my crazy life. And the new babe is starting to do that babble baby talk which completely melts me.❤️

Love y'all a lot. Love hearing from everyone. Please continue the updates, everyone

• Shellybeans
    Shellybeans Member Posts: 147
    Options

Hi Ladies - I am just stopping by to catch up and see how everyone is doing. I am so happy to see life moving forward for everyone. As for me, we made it through the hurricane - lost power from midnight Saturday until 4:30 on Thursday. Life has finally gotten bucket normal but lots of debris still lining the streets.

I started radiation and had 21/33 Friday. I'm dealing with burns now - so it's getting pretty real. Had a scare very early on as I had esophageal spasm that we think were triggered by Tamoxifen and Rads - due to my high ER+ and Stage 3 decided to do Tamoxifen while doing rads. Well - the two didn't play well together so after 4 nights in the hospital we stopped that. Now it's just fatigue and burns.

I'm having my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed on 11/1 then we will start planning exchange - truly hoping to get it done this year but not too optimistic. I'm learning to go with the flow.

I stopped wearing my wig on Friday - which was very liberating. Hair is growing back since last chemo on 7/18 - even had to pay for a Brazilian!

I've booked a cruise for me and my daughter for March and I'm working on something to do with my son as well. It's been hard for me to make plans for the future but after having my second PET scan before rads and continuing NED, I decided to take life by the horns!

Sending you all love and best wishes. I know many are approaching the anniversary of their diagnosis. I know it's going to be hard for me on 1/4/2018 - but I also know that it's the day that allowed me to add years to my life so I'm looking at it that way rather than with sadness. We will never be the same, but I know in my heart we are all much more empathic, caring, and loving people than we every were before.

Peace to all,

Michele

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

Bevmomduck - BABIES!! Baby Charlee has 3 teeth and says Da-Da No No...lol I think she hears that alot with her big brother who is 2. All of the g-babies are the sunshine in my day! I could talk babies for hours!

My last day of radiation I went into crying because of the comment. The radiation techs were so kind. I felt like the last 5 months of my life were wasted

Got to get ready for bed..please keep posting I love you all!

• Shoregirl
    Shoregirl Member Posts: 338
    Options

Varga, the nurse's comment wouldn't have sat well with me either. I agree w/DCISinAZ, someone should be notified, even if it is the nurse herself, that they really need to be more empathetic with their comments!! She probably felt like a heel after she said it. But you would think the medical staff in these treatment centers dealing with cancer patients would have meetings about empathy, sensitivity, compassion, etc. I fired my 1st ps before my bmx because he told me a story about a patient that he had 15 years prior was back with a new bc!! Um, no...I don't want to hear about recurrences, now or ever!! SMH.

On another note, yes Bevmom and Varga, grandbabies are so wonderful!! Mine live 2 hours away from me but when they visit I forget everything else!! They ARE sunshine!!! Bev, I do feel the implants moving when I reach, it is a weird feeling. Also when I lay on my side, the top one feels like it slides toward the bottom one and overlaps it. Hopefully after my revision I won't have that issue any more! Congrats on your daughter's invite to play w/Bocelli!! That is quite an honor!! I love him! He did a duet w/Mary J Blige "What Child is This" that is so beautiful!! Here it is for those who didn't watch Oprah that day! Andrea Bocelli w/Mary J Blige What Child Is This

Shellybeans! Good to hear from you! The hurricane, I wondered how people in medical treatment were getting along through all that chaos, yikes!! I pray your discomfort with the rads/burns is being well managed and you recover quickly. Yay, new hair and wig free, I bet that feels wonderful!! You have surgery coming up, AND a fun trip planned, that is great to have to look forward to! Yes the anniversaries are approaching. My mammo was October 2016, but I went to FL on extended vacay and lost my cell and changed my number so they couldn't reach me til Nov to tell me there was concern. I got the actual dx after my biopsy 1st week of December. Yuck!!

Let's all continue to check it, it is great to keep up!!

• vargadoll
    Options

DCISinAZ and Shoregirl- I should have said something! "If I were you I would have had mastectomy " will pop in my head at random times. When she said it I asked why!?! I'm sure the look on my face as I was about to burst into tears was enough to make her realize how the comment had effected me. Her response was she just would have...so my interpretation was all over the place! First thought is ...I'll be back and it will be worse!

Shellybeans -I had to make a quick trip to Mount Dora a fewe weeks ago for a double memorial and I thought about you the whole time I was there! Then when family evacuated the Mount Dora area due to the hurricane I thought of you again! Love that you are taking the bull by the horns! Live life to its fullest!!

It's October girls! We are stronger than we were last October so let the pink madness began!♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

Morning ladies and Happy Friday! I hope everyone is doing well. Just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you all this morning. Going on my first real vacation since everything. Get to wear my fancy new compression garments for my arm as I fly. I was just sitting here thinking how far I've come...how far we've all come. I'm just feeling sappy and super blessed today and I hope you all are too. Have an awesome day and weekend. Much love!

• vargadoll
    Options

Fightingirl-Enjoy yourself! I was thinking about you yesterday while I was at the PT. You were the first person who said anything about cording...so when I get my cords popped I think of you!♡

• Bevmomduck
    Options

Thinking of you all today as I pack - leaving tomorrow to meet DH in Venice for 4 days of “Reset from this difficult past year", before going with him to Catania as he works to network and mentor Italian pastors and churches. Truly hope this trip helps us to turn a corner from being a continual “ patient “. I know I’ll still have rehab and follow up when we get back but hope to view it through different lenses (somehow, hopeful)

Realized what my nipple-less side looks like - - a muffin! It’s smooth with practically invisible scarring thanks to fantastic PS, but not a cone shaped breast. I am getting used to it and instead of being free and braless (my origional hope) I find myself looking for prettybras that try to corral it into a more natural shape, but always pretty and that makes me feel more fun and sexy-ish 😊. My one headlight is totally being an overachiever, trying to make up for lost partner! Boooiiing all the time! Oh well.

Maybe if we all blow in a southernly direction we can blow hurricane Nate away!

Love y’all

• vargadoll
    Options

Bevmomduck -have a fabulous time! Relax and rejuvenate! Kick this past year to the curb!

Much love!

Teresa

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    Options

bon voyage bevmom! Italy will make everything better!! Pasta pasta pasta wine pasta! Splurge on some sexy Italian lingerie while hubbie is off working ;) have a wonderful trip and post pics for us!! Xxxooo

• vargadoll
    Options

YES pictures! !

• annoyingboob
    Options

henlo frens,

I went in for my genetics counseling the other day - they gave the option of just testing for brca or testing for up to like 67 other genes. I chose to check them all - lol. did you guys just check brca or test for more? sounds like its about a 3 week wait for results - im not expecting any of it to be positive, just more curious in modern medicine.

also saw med onc, he was ok with me stopping tamoxifen bc of bad side effects and said I didn't need to see him ever again - yay for graduation! had repeat mammo - they saw some stuff on normal side they think is just post op from reduction, so will follow up in 6 months.

hope you girls are doing well!! the air here is super smokey from the fires in the wine country, but we are supposed to get our first rain soon, so hopefully that will help. sending good thoughts to those up there who lost their homes or animals, and same to those recovering from the hurricanes in tx and fla and pr.

xxxooo

ab

• vargadoll
    Options

Annoyingboob - I did the mac daddy test to. The comany that was used also keep the info for when advances are made and then rechecks. My test was uneventful. Nothing stood out. WHOOT WHOOT for GRADUATION! I was hoping to be discharged from PT but nope...my LE is off the hook right now. Even my damn hand is starting to swell. I have been in quite the F¥€k cancer mode since Tuesday! I just want my crazy life the way it was back. I'm so tired of "babying" this right arm almost 7 months post surgery. ....rant over ;o)

Don't breath outside!!! Sending wishes for lots of rain to wash it all away! We had fires like that over 100+ miles from our house and we dealt with the smoke to! Crazy how far that stuff can travel. My window seals and winsows were black!

• vargadoll
    Options

Annoyingboob - I did the mac daddy test to. The comany that was used also keep the info for when advances are made and then rechecks. My test was uneventful. Nothing stood out. WHOOT WHOOT for GRADUATION! I was hoping to be discharged from PT but nope...my LE is off the hook right now. Even my damn hand is starting to swell. I have been in quite the F¥€k cancer mode since Tuesday! I just want my crazy life the way it was back. I'm so tired of "babying" this right arm almost 7 months post surgery. ....rant over ;o)

Don't breath outside!!! Sending wishes for lots of rain to wash it all away! We had fires like that over 100+ miles from our house and we dealt with the smoke to! Crazy how far that stuff can travel. My window seals and winsows were black!

• annoyingboob
    Options

Varga, I'm so sorry. That LE sounds like a real biatch. Especially for someone as active as you are - you don't got time for that! But take care of yourself. Keep going to PT and wear all those sleeves. Is there a LE thread on here that has other good advice? There must be.I'll say a little healing prayer for you.

Xxxooo

• vargadoll
    Options

The LE thread is awesome! Lots if good info tbere. I also got a book that was suggested. I'm not one to sit still and read but this book has kept my attention. I am pretty sure that my LE is due to the location in my cancer and where the radiation was done. It was all right there at my lymph nodes. I only had one incision to remove the BC and do the SNB. What I thought was a good thing.....wasn't! It has tore my lymphatic system up! Thank you for the well wishes! I am always busy busy with the kids and volunteering. It's not a glamorous life but it's what makes me happy. ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

• Elem
    Elem Member Posts: 246
    Options

just checking in to say hello and Happy Halloween. Most of us are coming up on a year since we learned everything there is about Breast Cancer. Hard to believe! But I am so happy that every one of us has done so well . I miss some of the girls like Windchimed and her Suga, I hope she is well . There has been so mych love generated from this thread over the past 10 months , I cannot inagine having gone thru it without you all .

Love and Hugs going into the holidays

💓❤️

• vargadoll
    Options

ELEM!- I have thought about windchimed and her suga many times. Glad you popped in. I miss you ladies so much!

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Teresa

• dcbc
    dcbc Member Posts: 122
    Options

Hi, ladies!! Just thinking about you all... this is a bittersweet time of year for me. Are the rest of you reliving your diagnoses, biopsies, etc? Also, lost one of my best friends to BC recurance three Octobers ago, so it is just a rough month.

That said, am really feeling like I've put cancer behind me... am even getting used to the "Muffin" effect Bevmomduck describes... except I have TWO! ;) I go braless almost every day, unless I'm wearing white, since my scars show through. For a former 36F, bralessness is amazing! Anyway, I think I will think of them as muffins from now on!!

My dear, enjoy Italy! Will you go to Sicily as well? My family comes from a small village not too far from Catania... it is a lovely place. Please post pictures!

Love to all, and hope this fall and winter is WAY better than last. XOXO

Susan

• Bevmomduck
    Options

imageimageimage

dc, yes! We stayed with a friend in Belpasso (near your family?) and traveled around to some sweet nearby places in Catania - oh, the patstries and the views! I fell in love with the mystique of the volcano Mt Etna. Everyone checks to see "how she's doing' each morning. Our play part of the trip (Rome) was truly a getaway/ reset as we had hoped. No big agendas, just one or two goals each day with afternoon aperitifs in the piazzas and people watching. My favs were the gorgeous churches, the crypts and catacombs! I'll try to find some pics that give y'all a flavor of the trip. Wish everyone could get a reset button like that.

We've all mentioned our bc anniversaries and checkups - need I say more? .(I'm not going to dwell on the fact that it was last Thanksgiving when I found the 2nd lump right beside the 1st one from the prev year cause. It's all gone!)

And. I've been back in town one day and I just graduated from PT for my wrist!! I will gladly, however continue the wonderful myofacial release for the radiated breast/ ligaments/muscles as long as they will let me or at least until the fat grafted spots stop bunching up whenever I move - I'd like that calm down some.

Keep updating girls, it's always good to hear from y'all

• Elem
    Elem Member Posts: 246
    Options

❤️💕just dropping by to send some love to my wonderful

Friends here. Great pics Bevmomduck . Good to see you all on here . ❤️

• Cowboy-Up
    Cowboy-Up Member Posts: 161
    Options

Hi ladies. I haven't checked in for quite some time. My mom had some serious health issues and I have been helping take care of her. I came back to the site because I am a week and a half out from my first mammogram since diagnosis. Of course my mind is going to a place that don't need to go. Last mammogram had abnormalities in both breasts but after the diagnostic, they only found an issue with the right. Just worried they are going to find something in left. It was good to see posts from so many friends. I'll try to check in more o

• Cowboy-Up
    Cowboy-Up Member Posts: 161
    Options

Hi ladies. I haven't checked in for quite some time. My mom had some serious health issues and I have been helping take care of her. I came back to the site because I am a week and a half out from my first mammogram since diagnosis. Of course my mind is going to a place that don't need to go. Last mammogram had abnormalities in both breasts but after the diagnostic, they only found an issue with the right. Just worried they are going to find something in left. It was good to see posts from so many friends. I'll try to check in more o

• vargadoll
    Options

Cowboyup- that's the beauty of our group! Pop in when you can and someone is always here if you need support. Sorry to hear about your Mom. My Mom has had a roller coaster ridea with her health this past year to. She a big worrier which would make things worse! That's just one more reason she (or my Daddy) do not know about my BC. It dawned on me when I read your post that I have totally ignored the "good girl ". My right boob has been such an issue that I hadn't even consider the left boob! I'll be checking it now for sure! I'm sending you good vibes and waves of peace for your up coming appointment.♡

Bevmomduck -LOVE LOVE the photos. You are a tiny thing!! So glad you had a wonderful get away!

Elem- you look so beautiful! Your new profile picture is very good.

Dcbc -October is almost over! With the month passing I hope November brings a more peaceful time of year. We are all getting close to the end of our BC year.

I have been referred for infrared therapy. I'm not familiar with this so I have some research to do. My LE just isn't letting up in my trunk. My boob is still a "super" boob. I have to wear larger tops just to hid it. I'm thankful for the cold weather now I can keep my compression sleeve hidden !

HeartTeresa

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

Hi Ladies!! So nice to jump on and catch up this morning with you all because YES, I am re-living moments one year later. Today is actually the day I went for my mammogram one year ago. I knew I had a lump but I truly thought it was going to be nothing....Obviously, I was wrong!

Bevmomduck, I want to jump in those pictures with you! Looks absolutely amazing and so happy for you!

Cowboy-Up, Sorry to hear about your mom. It's been quite a year, huh? I hope she is on the mend!

DCBC - braless! I love it!

I'm doing well...hoping like heck to avoid PT for the 3rd time this year. Ever since I took a flight for my vacation a few weeks ago, I've had some crazy cording issues in my left hand and wrist. I did wear my compression sleeve and glove but about a week after getting home it's been causing me grief. I've been trying to massage it and I have worked out some of the tightness myself so hopeful I get complete relief soon. Other than that, I'm just trying to be grateful for where I'm at right now. This same time last year most of us had no idea what was coming! It seemed at times we'd never get to the other side, didn't it? I mean in the sense that time was moving so slow with all the waiting and decisions...not that we wouldn't beat this cancer BS!

Will be thinking of you all as we go through our 1st anniversaries of various appointments etc. I would imagine this board will be hopping again in January. I do hope all of our January surgery sisters will pop in then to say how they are doing. Love you all!!

• annoyingboob
    Options

hi girlies!

I got my genetics back today. Negative for brca. I got 67 other genes tested too, lol, and one came back with a mutation that they call a ‘variant of unknown significance.’They say there is a 10% lifetime risk of developing ovarian cancer, but they don’t really know much about it so recommend thinking of it as a negative result, which I will do. I find the whole genetics thing fascinating. Humbling to think that we are all reduced to strands of walking dna.

Good to hear from everyone! Frustrating about all those cording issues though. I have an infrared sauna in my backyard - I wish I could send it to you to see if it would help!!

Now that all the medical appointments are done, it’s time to decide on health insurance for next year. I’m self employed and going to France next year, but I’m worried if I completely drop my insurance here, that when I do move back again, the insurance companies will deny me. So now I’m thinking of keeping insurance but dropping down to cheapest plan I can find. Such a waste of money though. What are all of you ladies doing or are you covered by work or husbands?

Aside from that stress, all good here. Wishing you all the best as we head into thanksgiving and Christmas. Love you girls, my tribe, my posse, my pack.

Xxxooo

• Shellybeans
    Shellybeans Member Posts: 147
    Options

Hi everyone - stopping by a little less than a week since surgery to remove my ovaries and fallopian tubes. The surgery was laparoscopic - last Wednesday and I have to say it was way easier than I expected. I'm still a little sore on my right side but it was just 3 tiny incisions and a couple days of just doing nothing but watching tv. I was at the hospital checking in at 5:00 am, surgery at 7:00, and home by 2:00 pm. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is considering preventative measures.

I started my AI and if my dr. didn't tell me to take it easy I would have gone to the office today - working from home instead.

I'm nearing the time of my mammogram from last year - the one that started this nightmare. I am still trying to view it as a day of thanks for saving my life and may do something to mark it so it's not something I dread.

Love seeing everyone is doing well. Hugs to you all.

Michele

• annoyingboob
    Options

wowsers shelley! congrats on smooth sailing - lets hope that good healing juju continues!! if I decide to take mine out, I feel better knowing you breezed through!! curious how your body feels without all the hormones, though maybe hard to tell with the other meds on board. since I failed tamoxifen and now with uncertain genetic risk, I may decide to take it all out. maybe wait a few years until post menopausal. I don't know. its nothing urgent, but something I juggle in the back of my head. please keep me posted with how you do!!

xxxooo

• vargadoll
    Options

Michele- so good to hear from you! What a year it has been! Thankful you had smooth sailing. No matter how easy the physical part is the emotional piece can be a train wreck! Happy healing!

Annoyingboob - I have noticed several ladies choose to have a hysterectomy or their ovaries removed. None of my doctor's have recommended that. My lifestyle does not allow "6 weeks" hell I'm lucky to get 6 hours! What a whirl wind year it has been!

Love to all my girls! (I like what AB called us her tribe ♡)