Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

Still coming here to see how the "tribe" is doing. It gives me hope and strength still. So awesome to see everyone popping in with updates. Today almost at this exact moment is when I received the call with the news. I was scared beyond belief and stayed that way until I found you all. I just wanted to say again THANK YOU. Thank you for getting me through the dark days, for filling my heart with hope and always knowing you knew exactly what I was feeling.

Wishing continued health and happiness to all my January sisters.

• BeachBabyK
    BeachBabyK Member Posts: 148
    Options

Ok Lovely Ladies!

Last call for the Christmas Card List!!! Send me a PM (if you haven't already) and I will be forwarding an email list to those that have sent in addresses. Let's call the deadline as Thanksgiving to give everyone a chance to check in.

All the Best!!!!

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

Fightingirl-you were my Beacon! I was so scared and so afraid scrolling through this thread were one of the first who I had contact with. Thank you for being there me! Here's to a fabulous 2018!

• Cowboy-Up
    Cowboy-Up Member Posts: 161
    Options

Hi ladies! Just wanted to share my good mammogram news with you all. No evidence of disease. I see the MO again in February and then next mammogram and appointment with RO in April.

• Leftcoastie
    Leftcoastie Member Posts: 77
    Options

Hello ladies! It’s been way too long since I chimed in. Yesterday was my one year diagnosis date. I must say it has been one hell of a year. I don’t know if I could’ve made it without all of you! Thank you Sisters for always being here. I may have been silent for awhile but you ladies never leave my thoughts and prayers. You are my tribe for sure!!!

💖

Lisa

• Elem
    Elem Member Posts: 246
    Options

wow here it is mid Nov . already. I will be going in for the yesrly mammo and I believe an ultrasound too . I hate to start stressing , but I am sure I will . After all , I never had any symptoms of a problem the first time.

Glad to see everyone is doing well . Sorry to hear about the moms who are going through health issues . Vargadoll thank you for the compliment on my updated pic. I have a birthday coming up here on the 17 th , I am trying to make birthdays great again . I will be 62! Damn.. !! That can’t be!! Lol

Shellybeans, glad you had an easy ride with the preventative removal . After all you have gone thru , it is nice to catch a break .

Cowboyup,hope you are doing ok and that everything is ok with both breasts.

Ab always mice to see you pop in . I am switching ins. As well . Cannot afford 700 @ month premium! Grateful I had it ladtvyr, but need cheaper!

Happy Thanksgiving

🍁 love you all

Love 💗 ell

• 3bears
    3bears Member Posts: 161
    Options

Wow, what a difference a year makes huh? My anniversary date was November 11. That was when I heard those terrifying words that began a horrible nightmare. I feel like this nightmare is almost over. I’ve got hair and boobs! I just had my last fill in my expanders on Monday. I’m a bit sore this time. I’ll probably be having my exchange surgery sometime in January or Feb.

I will tell win chimed you are asking about her. I think she’s doing great. She’s on my chemo group but she’s out there living it I guess. We don’t hear too much from her.

Shelleybeans it’s funny to think of you and Michele as the same person.😄

I have to get a D&C on November 24th because I got a period after not having one since March. They tested my estrogen levels and I’m still premenopausal. That’s good because it means the Tamoxifen wasn’t causing the bleeding. The D&C should stop my periods for a year or two my gyno said.

Love you all. I will probably check in more this time of year to hear all about your stories.

Happy Thanksgiving!🦃

• dcbc
    dcbc Member Posts: 122
    Options

Bevduckmom, those pics look fabulous! My family is on the north coast, west of Messina... love all of Italy, but esp. Sicily!!

So nice ot see everyone checking in periodically -- can't wait for the Xmas list!

3bears, my date was November 10th... what a horrible week that was. But here we are on the other side. Speaking of which, I wanted to let you guys know that I decided against nipple tattoos. My PS siad my skin was too think to reconstruct actual nipples, and I immediately know the 3D route was not for me... so am getting some beautiful art done instead! I have to wait till spring, but will be working iwth David Allen in Chicago do design something wonderful... see www.allentattoo.com/mastectomy/

I hope everyone is well, and looking forward ot Thanksgiving... will have to post some pictures of my recent trip out to New Mexico with girlfriends and my daughter... have always wanted to go on a balloon ride, finally did it!

XOXO,

Susan

• docmama
    docmama Member Posts: 126
    Options

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here, although I check in frequently to see how all are doing. We've all had our anniversaries recently, what a strange thing to look back at the fear and angst that brought me searching all over the internets until I finally found all of you and with that a great measure of peace. How amazing to be able to walk along this difficult road of treatments and surgeries together with all of you magnificent women and share our experiences with one another. Such a blessing! I just have one surgery left, which is nipple reconstruction. I must admit that i'm on the fence about this one. I like not having to wear a bra and I fear that the new nips will show through most anything I wear. My husband seems to really be in favor of it, although I don't think he'd admit it. The year is coming to a close and our deductible will soar up to $7,000 January 1st so I'll need to have it scheduled soon.

I am considering entering a clinical trial for Nerlynx (for HER2+ BC) to help prevent recurrence. My MO is not very much in favor of it because of the SE's. I just want to give it a try and not have any regrets down the road. I found the trial on my own (luckily it's close to home). Anyone else on this board taking it or considering it?

Well, we went to Spain and it was wonderful! Barcelona, Cordoba, Granada, Toledo, Madrid and the Rioja wine region. Beautiful weather, lovely people and delicious food and wine. I can't wait to go back image

• vargadoll
    Options

So good to see everyone checking in! We have been through so much together. Invisible threads connect us all! All the beautiful photos and vacations! I received my Flexitouch pump on Monday. Had a trainer come to my house on Tuesday. It is recommended that I use it once a day for a hour. I think I am actually looking foward to sitting down for a hour! The LE in my chest and axillary is just hanging out. I can tell a difference when the cycle is done.

My girl is sick. She spent Tuesday night with her guardian and I get a call she has a fever. It came out of nowhere! Wednesday her fever spiked at 107 she was transported to the ER by ambulance. The hospital was on lock down due to a man with a gun shot wound being "dumped" at the ER doors. It was a mess! The staff were amazing with my girl and the advances in diagnostic procedures made it quick to get the pneumonia diagnosis. There had been absolutely no signs! No fever (dropped her off about 1 at guardians happy, smiling and no breathing issues ) excellent appetite, sleeping well no wheezing. We are home now and she is fever free and coughing some. I haven't been in the hospital since my surgery and preop. I almost felt panicky. If you girls could send some good vibes or say a little prayer for quick healing that would be awesome.

Much love!

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    Options

oh my god, y’all - My birthday is Monday and I just had to use my calculator to figure out how old I was going to be (48) - totally forgot in the chaos of this year!!! That’s so embarrassing - don’t tell anyone!! I went to that store Anthropologie and bought this jacket which is so insanely soft - I wish i had it post op. If you need snuggly gift ideas for family or friends or to treat yo-self, I recommend it. (Although then I went to the gap and they had similar soft things for half the price, so oh well. Snuggly is IN this season!!)

Anyway, as we head into thanksgiving week, I just want to give a shout of thanks out to all of you. It warms my heart to read about what everyone has been up to and I love the updates and pictures!! May your week be filled with love and family and good food and cheer. Safe travels if you are wandering near or far. THANK YOU ALL for being my breasties this year. Xxxxoooo

• dcbc
    Options

Angie, Barcelona is one of my favs! I love the Sagra Familia!!! You look amazing!

AB, I'm thankful for all of you too! I don't know how I would have gotten through this year without all of you. Happy Thanksgiving to all of us!!!!

Below are some pics from my balloon trip in New Mexico, as promised--Two with my daughter, and one with good friend Suz.

XOXO

• Shoregirl
    Shoregirl Member Posts: 338
    Options

Hi All, its been a while since I have checked in too! Great to hear the all clears with all the recent anniversaries! I don't have any exciting vacays to report, just an upcoming revision! Nov 29th, removing my current implants, replacing with slightly wider base and less projection, possibly a different brand, Sientra. Also tightening the skin, adding more Alloderm, and fat grafting. I always felt my implants were too narrow, and new ps agrees. They are the Inspira ultra high profile. She feels the extra full projection may be contributing to my implants flipping over backwards as they are narrow in the pocket.

DocMama, I am on the fence on the nip recon as well. Its nice not to worry about "headlights" showing, especially in the summer wearing a thin shirt and braless. But then again, I have read that they really shrink down a lot to a barely perceptible nub. I was a little upset at my pre-op yesterday. My new ps was showing me pics of her work. There was a lady who had pretty droopy breasts, and in her reconstruction photo I noticed she had retained her nipples. I told my new ps my orig ps had told me I couldn't keep my nips because the distance from the nips to the collar bone was too great. It was a lot less of a distance than the lady whose picture I was looking at. The doc just kind of shook her head and said she makes it a priority to try and save the nipples always, unless of course the cancer was right there. Mine could have been saved Bawling

Varga, sending healing prayers for your girl!! Scary story!!

Dcbc, so cool you are getting pretty artwork tats. Please keep us posted what you decide!

AB, I have totally forgotten at times my age, had to count the decades from my birth year (1964) lol! I think I was in denial!!

Best wishes to all for continued health and happiness and a very happy Thanksgiving!

• Cowboy-Up
    Options

I posted this on my Facebook page. Wanted you guys to know that you were very important in getting me through this year. We may never see each other but we have ties that will bind us for life.

One year ago I heard the words that everyone fears. You have cancer. The last year has been the hardest year of my life. Not only for me but because my mom had a rough year too. Cancer has taken a lot from me. It has taken my sense of security. It has disfigured my body and it has taken my strength. It has left me with discolored skin and side effects of a drug that I will have to take for 10 years.

Cancer has given me some great things too. It has giving me the knowledge that I need to live everyday to the fullest. That work is work and to leave it there if you have a bad day. That my family is the most important thing in the world. It has also given me some awesome friends. My radiation girls - Teresa R. Headley-Daugherty, Lisa Lary Jordan, and Amy Roark. I also have friends I have never met on a breast cancer board for January surgery gals.

My cancerversary is tomorrow. Not a day to celebrate. A day to get through. January, I will celebrate being a survivor. Now that his something to celebrate.

• Shoregirl
    Options

Well said, very poignant words CowboyUp. You are a survivor!!

I want to say Thank You, January 2017 Surgery Group Ladies, for being there, for listening, for helping me to get through some of the darkest days I have ever lived through. Have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving!!

Heather, aka Shoregirl

• vargadoll
    Options

Much LOVE to all my January surgery sisters! Cowboyup, beautiful post! This year has been a different kind of journey. One that I thought I would take. Thank you all for being a part of this year.

I have so much to be thankful for this year and all you girls are on top of the list!

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

TeresaHeart

• 3bears
    Options

Cowboyup, how are you doing on the Tamoxifen

• Cowboy-Up
    Options

I'm doing pretty good. I had about 3 weeks of a constant headache that I was concerned about but if has been gone for about 2 weeks. An occasional hot flash but not too bad. Occasional leg cramps but can usually stretch them out. Feeling very fortunate. 7 months down. 9 years and 5 months left. Lol.How are you ladies all doing on your anti-hormonals?

• dcbc
    Options

Cowboy, great post... love all you guys!

My tamoxifen experience is very similar to yours... mild night sweats/hot flashes occasionally, and leg cramps on some evenings/mornings. Nothing to keep me from sticking with it. Although I will be switching to AI after two years... will you?

XO,

Susan

• Cowboy-Up
    Options

I'm 47 and have had no signs of real menopause so I will definitely be on the Tamoxifen for awhile. I asked my MO if I will switch when I go through menopause but she said no if I am tolorating the Tamoxifen well. Now my new GYN suggested taking everything's out when am 50 to rid the body of most of estrogen. I have time to think about it

• vargadoll
    Options

well I attempted to post yesterday but apparently didn't hit submit so my post went away! I'm tolerating the tamoxifen well also no hot flashes I actually get extreme cold chills. Had blood work done to rule out other problems and everything came back fine except for vitamin D. Mine is almost non-existent and there's a big connection between that and BC. Now I'm on a mega dose for 4 weeks after the four weeks is up I go to 5000 a day. I'm 52 but no one has suggested removing any parts LOL. Before surgery I was showing no signs of menopause and had regular periods until February. They just stopped. I started tamoxifen in March so who knows what's going on in my body! The lymphedema is still an issue but I'm handling it. Glad everyone else is doing so good! Much love to my January girls!

Teresa

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    Options

this came across my instafeed. Ima leave it right here in case anyone needs a little virtual vacation. I’m thinking it might be nice to gather a bunch of these pics and play them on my tv in a continuous loop throughout winter, with some pretty music in the background? Then I just need one of those giant red lights and I can prance around in a bathing suit and pretend it’s not snowing outside!!!

• Bevmomduck
    Bevmomduck Member Posts: 91
    Options

💕continuing the love train to all y'all who have walked each other through wacko things this past year. For me, too some of my darkest days were softened and put in better perspective from notes right here written by you!

I had my 6 mo. Surgical follow up visit a while back and asked the question; “who will pronounce me 1 year cancer free this time?" Last time it was the radiologist who, after fancy mammogram pronounced me 1 year clear.

Not this time. After BMX it will just be me, telling myself Happy One Year Clear on the anniversary of the mastectomy. I will check both chest walls starting at clavicle and pulling in to center, looking for anything unusual, once a month. She said there are sometime small bumps (espesh at 2-5 yrs) that are harmless but must be checked because even the thin layer of skin could, you know...

“How do I know if there is any BC that traveled around my body?" Mets. Well, you just pay attention to anything unusual and get it checked out. Bam! This is the head worm we live with. Today I am struggling with that reality. Another day I will have a more positive attitude - - this week I have had lots of sadness for losing my brothers and the reality that although Dad is amazingly active he still has pacemaker and 13 stents and is 91. I'm apprehensive about another loss.

Forgive the negativity. I just appreciate the love, understanding and strength of all of y'all!

Beverly

• PugsMama
    PugsMama Member Posts: 337
    Options

Hello my friends! I was diagnosed a year ago today and am grateful to have had all of your support along the way. The anticipation of today was worse for me....I wore my wigs all week bc I didn't want to be "this person with the short curly gray hair", but am more accepting of myself today. I'm decorating for Christmas this year, something that just passed me by last year. I just found out that one of our chemo group gals is having a recurrence so it's a sad day in that respect. I think of you all often although I'm not on here much....I'm doing well, tolerating the aromatase inhibitors and just try to enjoy every day & not take any of them for granted...

Love you all!

Liz

• BeachBabyK
    BeachBabyK Member Posts: 148
    Options

Happy December Ladies!!

I have compiled the Christmas Card list, but wanted to throw it out there one last time for any more takers. If you are interested, just PM me your name, address and email (for delivery). I'll try to send it out by the end of the weekend.

My Dr has not recommended the removal of my ovaries or uterus, so I am going to keep them for now. I get hot flashes from the Tamoxifen (or should I say the forced menopause) and originally was given Venlasflaxine to help - which it did in the beginning, but not quite as much now. Debating what to do about it (try to get a stronger prescription, just stop taking it, try another drug to offset the hot flashes?). I will stick with the Tamoxifen for now.

Please continue to post about your milestones, anniversaries, test results, good days and bad! We are still here and I still read each and every email notification to find out how you are all doing. Next month will be a biggie for all of us and I hope that everyone stops by to let us know how they're doing.

Docmama - Did you do the Trial? If so, please keep us updated! Also, please post more beautiful pics! I have a frriend heading to Europe next year and she wants a companion... I'm seriously thinking about it!!! BTW, I love your hair! You look great!

PugsMama- So thankful that a year later you are here and decorating for Christmas! I wasn't much into it last year either (and haven't started the inside of the house yet), but I feel truly Blessed and to have had all of you to hold my (virtual) hand through all of this!

Bevmomduck - It's so hard to say what the "cancer-free" mark is! We (Hubby & I) determined that we are going to use my surgery date as there is no way to pinpoint that during the chemo, so I am just over a month away! And it's not negativity... it's reality and why we are here for each other! It's the reality that is different from anyone else's that hasn't been through this.

Annoyingboob - Always love your pics! Thankfully, the weather in So CA is still nice and I am enjoying the "cooler" nights.

Love to all!!

• Shoregirl
    Options

Hi January sisters! I had my revision Wednesday and it went great!! My new ps removed my implants and downsized from 470 to 440. Also changed the brand/model from Inspira SCX (extra full projection) to Sientra full projection. They are wider at the base, fit my frame so much better!! She did fat grafting over the entire implant and I love it. Got rid of the cold clammy feeling. Now my foobs are nice and warm!! Dec 3 is the day I got results of stereotactic biopsy confirming DCIS. Honestly, I haven't even been thinking about it. Probably because I was all amped up for the revision. Anyhow, its good to hear everyone is doing well!!

Hugs,

Heather

• mamasha
    mamasha Member Posts: 10
    Options

hi girls

12/16/16 is the day I found out my life would change forever. It's weird because I think about that call a lot more as I’m think about this time last year. I'm doing fine on tamoxifen. Don’t have my first mammogram until January. Girls this will be a much better Hanukkah and Christmas season for us. I enjoy reading how everyone is doing well.

Love and continued good health!

• docmama
    docmama Member Posts: 126
    Options

Hi BeachBabyK! I saw my MO on Friday and got the green light from him (finally) to do the trial. He no longer is waiting to put his HER2 patients on the Nerlynx, but still told me the potential benefits in my case could be small. I told him that I didn't want to leave any stone unturned, any tool in the shed unused. I think what finally convinced him was that the trial I will be joining is an open-label, where everyone gets the medication. I hope to start this month.

Over on the Hair Hair Hair thread they asked us to submit some phots for an informational video they were planning. It's done now and I think it came out well. I'm in it a few times (there's one of me with my husband kissing the top of my head just before he shaved all my hair off).

https://www.facebook.com/breastcancerorg/videos/10...

• vargadoll
    Options

Docmama - love the video! The clips of you and DH were precious!

Can' wait to get the Christmas card list!

It was so good to read all the post. This year has been a journey! I am thankful for my surgery sisters!

Yesterday while at church our Pastor said "you will not leave 2017 they way you came into 2017". That is so true for all of us!

• 3bears
    Options

I’m doing fine on the Tamoxifen too. A little sweaty at night but that’s about it. The chemo has killed my periods off . March was my last period until I got one November 2. So...... they made me get a sonogram and a D&C to make sure it wasn’t the Tamoxifen making me bleed. Everything checked out ok. My gyno said I probably won’t get a period for at least a year. But if I do......... gotta get another sonogram and probably another D&C at that time.

I’m happy so far with my expanders. I’ll probably have exchange surgery in January. I hear of so many women who are unhappy with their final result. Many complain they are “ flat” and don’t get enough projection from their implants. I hope I don’t end up like that. I’ll be angry if I still have to wear a padded bra after all this!

This Christmas is so much better than last Isn’t it girls?

3Bears