Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IV MBC Fitness

Options

Comments

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,144
    edited November 2022
    Options

Cookie, thanks, yes I do feel better both for the steps and the music, started off with Sia's Unstoppable song, motivates me as much as R Kelly's I believe I can fly. Too bad he is a terrible person, that song still connects with me and pushes me on. I just need to recognize the need for everyday exercise, not sporadic and it is OK if it is essentially a march with knee lifts and side to side stepping thrown in. Got 6500 which was great, 10000 is still goal. Going the 1000 at a time allowed me to do other things in the mean time. I do not think I will ever cover 15000 roundtrip again as I was doing outdoors but if I stay in better shape inside, it will help balance and may get me to the point of not using a cane for balance. I will also be so much happier.

I do enjoy funny movies as well and watched Daniel Radcliffe play Weird Al Yankovic in the movie Weird, the Al Yankovic story. It was really funny and helped me yesterday.

• mara51506
    edited November 2022
    Options

So doing the same moves as yesterday, 1000 steps at a time, trying to increase frequency so I can get there earlier, thinking 1000 steps, 10 or 15 mins rest and stretch and back again. Gives me time to get other chores done. I really want the 10000 step total so will need to do it, if not able to get it, will simply attempt to get 7000. If I do not or cannot hit goal, I can attempt an increase. I mostly do a marching step as I can do it without shoes, throughout the march, I step side to side to strengthen outer thighs and do the knee lifts to strengthen core. On rest breaks, I stretch my hip area by crossing leg over other leg and lean forward, really nice stretch.

Given the fact I only slept 4 hours, I am feeling pretty well and did not feel any sadness trying to creep in on me.

Hope everyone else is having a decent day

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,609
    edited November 2022
    Options

mara, good for you! I, too, do a lot of marching in place. I like to get those 10k steps, but some days it just doesn't happen and I've come to be ok with that. I like your stretching routine. I need to do more of that. I bought a book called, "Yoga for Inflexible People" but I haven't looked at it in a while (my bad). I also have a couple of yoga blocks. My DIL is a physical therapist and has given me some stretching and strengthening exercises to do. I just need to do them!

I hope the sadness stays away from you today - even though you only got 4 hours of sleep. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but my Fitbit gives me a sleep socre each night. Sleep has always been an issue for me. It's frustrating.

(((hugs)))

Carol

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 682
    edited November 2022
    Options

Oh glad to hear Mara. All movement is good whether marching in place or side stepping. I actually think some of those indoor walk video's are better that outside. Plus it's always good to mix things up as well. I like mixing things up so I don't get bored doing the same workout every day.

Oh good sleep..what is that lol. It's been years since I have slept soundly through the night. I am so grateful now to have stopped working. At least now I don't have to push myself to make it through the day.

• mara51506
    edited November 2022
    Options

Sunshine, I am the same with what I know I should do as well. I try to remember to stretch my arms as well. Hip stretches are quite effective for me, avoids the muscle knot feeling otherwise.

Cookie, I only got 2000 steps today but I took that as a win anyway. I will go to bed earlier than yesterday and have shut off the game that was going for some money.

I am doing a new thing on Saturday with my friend as our birthdays are over the weekend. We are going axe throwing which sounds like fun. Watching from you tube to learn technique. I see some people using one hand but think I will use two.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,588
    edited November 2022
    Options

Mara - i think that sounds unique and amazing!

I went to the pool today for the second time since being determined to make my local (gross) pool complex work and I added two more laps. I also tried some slow breaststroke as Im concerned about overall flexibility and flexion on my poor lumbar spine and it was ok. Walked 30 minutes down and then 30 back as I was feeling barfy and didn't want to risk the bus. May have overdone it after doing 40 minutes of pilates/barre yesterday :/

We head to Sweden late next week and Ive got mother in law taking my hockey skates to be sharpened before we arrive. Ice rink five minutes up the road, lap pool five minutes down the road. I havent been skating since 'before' - but I think my legs/core are strong enough now I should do ok. I wouldnt have said that three months ago.

• cookie54
    edited November 2022
    Options

Yup Mara it's a win for sure 2,000 better than none for sure! I don't know about you but I feel guilty in a weird way if I don't meet my goals. Yesterday I did a stationary indoor workout I tried to walk outside later but my toe was acting up. I just restarted Xeloda yesterday and the feet start to flare up . I was able to get a nice walk in today, was cool but beautiful sunshine. Well axe throwing sure sounds like fun I have never been. Oh I would be using two hands also, I definitely don't trust my hands right now. Have fun!

Sondra So glad to hear your getting away, how fun! You will certainly get great exercise ice skating, enjoy. I was never the best ice skater, much better at roller skates. Hope you get to enjoy the pool and hope it is nicer than your local pool.

• mara51506
    edited November 2022
    Options

Sondra, enjoy your trip to Sweden and the ice skating. I always enjoyed it as a kid even though I really stank, roller skating was more my thing. Wheels was the name of the rollerskating rink. Those were the good old days. Hope your nausea goes away, sometimes a walk can help overcome it.

Cookie, sorry about the sore toe but glad you got a workout done inside. I sometimes think another stationary bike would be nice to have, I had one before, would love a recumbent bike but it would have to be a folding bike. Would be great for listening to books.

• mara51506
    edited November 2022
    Options

Wow, what a struggle walking for just over an hour. I got some soap refill which weighs maybe 8lbs and a couple cans of food. I also got chips that will be chopped in the spice grinder as an extra seasoning and some will be snackfood. Cheddar bacon and Barbecue. The walk there was still slippery so I stuck to the road as much as possible on the side streets. Paid for everything, put in the knapsack and then the ice was pretty much gone, I was not out of breath but the knapsack kept pulling me to the left and my left leg kept feeling like it could just go out on me. I did make it home slowly but more of a struggle than I like. Too bad I could not wear cleats as there is not enough snow for those. I am happy I am not huffing and puffing, I need to time out walks for a little bit later if it becomes sunny out. Going to email property managers to provide us with salt as the front steps were the most slippery. I am also glad I had the cane as well. Kept me from leaning left so much. 9000 steps for that walk. Thinking about taking the bus to the mall tomorrow and doing some mall walking. Just deciding which mall I want to do it in. Just so boring on the treadmill. I also need more snow on the ground so I can wear my cleats which are so amazing on ice.

• cookie54
    edited November 2022
    Options

Geez Mara glad you made it there and back without taking a spill! Much rather have a couple inches of snow than ice for sure. I'm with you I really don't like walking on the treadmill. Even with music or watching TV I just feel tied to it. The mall walking sounds like a good plan for tomorrow. I walked inside today as it was very windy and gloomy here. Although I did walk the dog this morning for about a mile. She really looks forward to her walks too. Looks like the sun returns tomorrow so I will definitely get out tomorrow.

• mara51506
    edited November 2022
    Options

Yeah, I think the mall walking is a good idea because I can practice balance and take a longer stride inside though I may wait until Saturday for that. I ordered some fleece lined leggings in my current size. Tomorrow I may just do some extra marching inside for my step goal.

Decided that in order to be entertained, I may try part of my workout on the treadmill watching some stuff on streaming like the sequel to a Christmas Story move as that is my favourite Christmas movie.

• mara51506
    edited November 2022
    Options

Well, I am proud of myself. I had been worrying about my window AC and all the cold air coming in. It was super cold last night and even though I was under many fleece blankets, it was very cold. I decided since it is a smaller unit, I would chance bringing it in on my own as there is a night table/old panda dryer nearby. I watched youtube videos first and followed the directions to get it out, was not hard to lift out. They say to put on the floor but there is no space for that so I put it on a towel. I will need to get in there and clean out all the dust and stuff, wipe down what I can. I have since shut the window so it should not be so cold and I can open my bedroom door as well. I still have to put in my screen but that can wait, don't mind if the cleaning of the window sill takes time. I will also go section by section cleaning the air conditioner and covering it with a sheet as there is no real rush now. I do tire so easily. I consider this my exercise for the day I think. I also think it is better for the unit to be inside instead of being left outside. I called my brother to let him know he is off the hook until it is time to put it in, I think that would be a 2 person job.

• mara51506
    edited December 2022
    Options

pretty windy here, stating in because of this. Still working toward 20000 steps, got 6000 so far at 1000 steps at a time, chores and anything else done in between. I'd like to lose weight and throughout the day makes sense. We will see anyway. I add some side steps to work outer thighs for balance and knee lifts for core.

Tired now, got 11000 so that will do, not like that is not a good total, all marching type steps along with side steps and knee lifts, stretched after every 1000 steps. Still working up to my goal but this will do.

• cookie54
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hi Mara, Yes was a blustery day here also I did get an outside walk in late in the day when the weather improved. I also did a cardio workout on youtube in the morning.

You'll get to your goal a little each day. Agree 11,000 is definitely a decent amount of steps. I think the sun returns tomorrow so I will be sure to get out. Was feeling a little down today. don't think the weather was helping either. Tomorrow will be better. Rest up and shoot for your goal again tomorrow!

• mara51506
    edited December 2022
    Options

Cookie, I am adjusting my goal to at least 10000 ish steps, I realize it would take 4 hours for me to get 20000 and that is an awful lot. I don't need to get obsessed with the steps. Reduce calories a bit and be consistent with the 10000 on the daily and I will be vastly improved, waiting to see how it will be outside once the sun comes out, may take a couple of neighbourhood walks. I am battling a cold I think, covid test came out negative but the fresh air would be good for me.

• cookie54
    edited December 2022
    Options

Mara Honestly I think that's a more reasonable goal. Agree four hours is an awful lot of time and exercise. By making a couple small reductions in your eating habits will definitely make a difference. Also don't forget to treat yourself here and there, you deserve it!

I did my inside cardio workout this morning , walked Daisy and then my outside walk in the afternoon. It was cold but bright and sunny , I enjoyed it! Watched some football, wrapped a couple gifts and made a baked chicken parmesan dinner. Labs tomorrow for keytruda Wednesday also restart Xeloda this week. So I enjoyed my week off.

• mara51506
    edited December 2022
    Options

Cookie, glad you enjoyed your day with the pup and walking and workout. Great job.

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 235
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi Everyone! I know this thread doesn't get a lot of activity, but maybe we are all just being so active, that we don't have time for posting? Anyway, I just wanted to drop in and say hello to all those of you who are still out there moving and grooving. I've continued to try and stay active with rock climbing, yoga, and walking. Though the walking has been not so great with the icy temps here in Minnesota. I also got a subscription to Apple Fitness and it has been nice to have lots of 10 to 20 minute options for doing HIIT workouts, dance workouts, yoga, and more right at my fingertips and I can cast it up to my tv. It even synchs with my Apple Watch so I can see on screen exactly what my current heart rate and calorie burn is. Whatever keeps us motivated, right? Hope everyone is doing well!

• mara51506
    edited February 2023
    Options

DG, good to hear from you again. Your workouts sound quite thorough. I use YouTube for my workouts indoors and have cleats and spikes on my cane. We had snow and there is hard ice. Need to gain more leg and arm strength as well, build up my muscles as well. Cane is to help my balance.

• cookie54
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hey ladies! Yup still out here moving and grooving as much as possible. Crossing my fingers here in NJ that we escape the snow this winter! Besides my indoor morning workout I always try to fit in a power walk in the afternoon. Getting over covid from last week I was on Paxlovid(nasty). Now I seem to be having a little rebounding even though I am now testing negative. Ugh, annoying as long as I can get to treatment this week.

dghoff Wow rock climbing, that must be a great workout!

Mara you always amaze me with your perseverance through the bad weather and your ingenuity to find a way to get out there. I love it! I came back to edit this post Mara, I'm glad you weren't seriously injured with you fall on the ice! Play it safe for now and work on indoor fitness. You'll get back out there when the ice melts, be safe!

• mara51506
    edited February 2023
    Options

Oh Cookie, I am recovering from a terrible fall. I did not wear my ice cleats and did not realize how slippery it would be and fell forward. Landed on my stomach and am sore today. I think for the time being, I will stay walking indoors once I recover.

• cookie54
    edited February 2023
    Options

Ugh sorry that stinks! I bet you are very sore, take it easy for a couple days. Give your body the break it deserves, maybe just some stretching if possible. I'm laying low today and tomorrow some very frigid air over us with high winds. Definitely not enjoyable to walk outside in that. I will take Daisy for a short walk. Rest up.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 966
    edited February 2023
    Options

I have been moving and grooving too. I went cross-country skiing today-so fun. I had one fall but it wasn't serious. I've been active this winter-pickleball several times a week, yoga most days, weight training 2 times /week, occasional Youtube videos and walks. After suffering a broken leg last year, I am really grateful to be able to move and be active again. When I read Susaninsf's obituary I learned we had a connection I didn't realize-we had the same yoga teacher for many years. Since I don't live there, I usually attended his weeklong intensives, while I think she went to his normal classes. She didn't really look familiar to me but seemed like a wonderful person.

Mara-sorry to hear about your fall yesterday. So scary-those falls can happen in an instant. Hope you landlord ups their snow-ice clearing game or that you are able to move into a senior apartment (even though you are young). At least in those, they take care of clearing the walks, etc. Hope you are not too sore.

• mara51506
    edited February 2023
    Options

Chicagoan, I would like to live in a senior building. They have some that start at 55. I am 51 now so not far away if I am still around then. I am sore but more muscle than bone I think. I will use my TENS machine tomorrow if there is not good improvement, I would at least be able to exercise in the apartment. The belly itself is not sore which is what I landed on. Nothing has been removed as of yet, not really holding my breath either given the fact they do not clean the building. I vacuum my floor because it is what I see but I don't clean the other floors, no energy for that.

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 235
    edited February 2023
    Options

Mara - so sorry that you had that fall. I know those icy sidewalks are treacherous. We have them here too and I usually wear cleats of some kind, but lately it has just been too cold to go out for walks. It's supposed to warm up above freezing, but we have so much snow here in Minnesota that it will take months for all of it to melt. Maybe by May it will be gone! I'm extra cautious of falling on the ice since I have osteoperosis.

Cookie - yes! Rock climbing is a wonderful workout. I'm MUCH stronger since I started climbing a little over a year ago.

Chicagoan - you are the second person this week to talk about playing pickleball! I've never played, but my husband just was given a set of pickleball paddles, so maybe we might have to go try it out. Seems like a fun way to get some exercise!

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 966
    edited February 2023
    Options

dghoff-I think you would like pickleball. It is so much fun. It's quite meditative actually because once you start thinking about anything else than hitting the ball, you miss the ball. It's a great way to stay in the moment and another wonderful bonus is all the new friends I have made. It's a very social sport. I may give rock climbing a try. I'm finding with the cancer treatment, I really need to keep working on strength in every muscle of my body or I lose it.

• mara51506
    edited February 2023
    Options

DG, thank you for your kindness. I have no need to get anything so I really don't need to go outside but if I do need to, will wait until my side street has been plowed. I will also wear the cleats even as it warms up due to black ice concern. The cleats are inexpensive enough to order and extra pair, I have two going right now.

Today, I am doing something someone who lost 100 lbs did. They did walking on the spot which is preferred to me but did it 3 to 5 mins at a time throughout the day. I figure I can meet goals throughout and get at least an hour of that. When the pain of the fall goes away, I will also go back to Paul Eugene standing workout which will move arms and legs. Probably going to sell my little treadmill as well. I never use it, prefer the marching as it makes it easy to walk outdoors. Warming up here next week as well.

• AKJ
    AKJ Member Posts: 115
    edited February 2023
    Options

I try to walk most days. I got back to the swimming pool on Friday and it felt so good. I felt like a normal person for an hour! I also do Yoga with Adriene on YouTube and love it. I have decent energy in the mornings but get so tired in the afternoons. Naps are awesome

• mara51506
    edited February 2023
    Options

I walked inside today, short blocks of 500 steps several times. Also working on squats, hamstring bends and calf raises, at 11 if each, stretching out hips between each.

I hear you about sleep, I fall asleep while watching tv or at chemo even though Herceptin is maybe 40 mins.

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited February 2023
    Options

Mara - The person that you referenced that lost 100 pounds walking on the spot for 3-5 minutes at a time, did they say how many steps that added up to or how many times a day they did this? That sounds like a great idea for some of us that have some mobility issues.