Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IV MBC Fitness

Options

Comments

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,572
    edited March 2023
    Options

I found my 5k for 2023 (I do one per year), it’s an activity goal and keeps me accountable. This year will be the Sloth Running Team with proceeds going to Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C)

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 882
    edited March 2023
    Options

illimae That sounds like fun. How does that work. I was supposed to have my knee replaced in January but that was put on hold after finding out my cancer was back in my lung. Most days I am good. Right now my knee has decided to flare up so long distance walking is limited. Working on getting that back under control and then enjoying more out door weather.

• illimae
    edited March 2023
    Options

Brutersmom, it’s virtual, so you sign up for whatever 5/10k you like, they send you a shirt, race bib and metal, then you do the walk whenever and wherever you like. They encourage you to post it on social media when complete. The weather is getting nice here, so I’ll probably do my walk next month.

Here’s a link, if anyone wants to check out the options.

https://www.irun4movement.com/Race/IRun4Movement/Page/events

• sunnidays
    sunnidays Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2023
    Options

Has anyone found the joint pains side effect of Letrozole interferes with their exercising I use to be very good but I have developed such pains in my feet, it might be plantar fasciitis can Letrozole cause that would anyone anyone know?

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,118
    edited April 2023
    Options

I am going to include this list of side effects of Letrozole, and perhaps someone on it can comment as well. If you were not experiencing foot pain pre Letrozole, it would probably indicate it. One of the side effects mentions swelling of feet and lower legs. I am sorry about the pain in your feet. If you have one or are in a gym, biking could take care of things while you get sorted. Also below, I posted relief for plantar fasciitis as well because even if you do not have it, these things can help the foot.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/letrozole-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20067579

https://facty.com/conditions/plantar-fasciitis/10-exercises-for-plantar-fasciitis/?style=quick&utm_source=adwords-ca&adid=490388751783&ad_group_id=89726241543&utm_medium=c-search&utm_term=plantar%20fasciitis%20exercises&utm_campaign=FH-CA-Search-10-Exercises-for-Plantar-Fasciitis-Desktop&gclid=CjwKCAjwrJ-hBhB7EiwAuyBVXcaYH3CSHZmzaQqJGnbUHyJUSBADNdUbbfBNx5wSuSf-rX3R5ZWZ9xoCd5cQAvD_BwE

• mara51506
    edited April 2023
    Options

I am altering my walking plans as weather gets warmer and I have not got the ability to get myself if I fall. I will walk outside long enough to get to my various bus stops and walk around inside, whether a mall, hospital or mall. When I don't need to go anywhere, mostly walk inside and limit outdoor sessions to 5 to 10 mins at a time, help to avoid heat stroke, I heat up quickly, even in cool temps. No longer planning long walks to the mall, jjust get the steps throughout the day, use my cane and just take care.

I have also requested a PT to assist me, waiting a couple of weeks, apparently not on the waiting list so just staying as careful as possible. I did fall off a step stool last night changing a lightbulb but was not hurt, landed on my but so it took the impact, cried a bit out of frustration but I could at least get up using my chair. Cane helps my balance and the buses always lower for me once they see the cane.

• AKJ
    AKJ Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2023
    Options

Mara, I hope you can get that PT appointment

• mara51506
    edited April 2023
    Options

Actually, I did get the PT appointment, I have the first one on Thursday at my apartment.

• illimae
    edited April 2023
    Options

DH and I have been doing short hikes (1/2 mile) up and down our mountain, which are tough but rewarding. After this morning’s walk, I reassembled/reinstalled my hobby greenhouse that had been blown apart by a windstorm last month, planted a few more veggies and watered all. Exercise and chores done before 11am, time to relax :)

I hope your all well.

• mara51506
    edited April 2023
    Options

Great walks and for having your chores done early, nice to be able to relax.

Fairly boring day, plan to walk, outside if not raining, inside if it is, we'll see. Still got PT exercises to do over the course of the day as well.

• lacorneille17
    lacorneille17 Member Posts: 19
    Options

Hello all! I am new to mbc as of Feb/March. De Novo idc with one met to pelvis.. Started lupron/letrozole/kisqali and will start bone strengtheners once I get dental work done.

I also have high anxiety/panic.. So excercise is the one thing that I can try to control! I do a combination of walking and beach body workouts at home (just started lift more). I live in upstate NY so I'm joking the weather gets better and I can get out more this summer. Looking forward to meeting people here!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,591
    Options

@lacorneille17 I'm sorry about your recent diagnosis. It's a real punch in the gut. You'll find wonderful people here.

Carol

• mara51506
    Options

@lacorneille17 I'm sorry about the diagnosis as well, is a really hard punch in the gut but glad to hear you are helping yourself ease some of the anxiety through exercise. It really makes a difference whether it is stress, side effects, fatigue or depression even.

I did manage a walk to the grocery store. I did get tired once I got there so I got what I needed, sat on the bench in the store before leaving and took the bus after, takes a couple of blocks off the walk home. Might go out again after lunch for a shorter walk if it is not drizzling, it was quite miserable with the drizzle but I still felt pretty good all told.

• lacorneille17
    lacorneille17 Member Posts: 19
    Options

Thank you all! Good to have the support

• mara51506
    edited May 2023
    Options

I am going to mall walk shortly, taking the bus. Since I know my body cannot handle heat anymore, no more long outdoor walks. Indoor, treadmill, marching on the spot and walking in the mall and or grocery store will be on the agenda. I am factoring in bus tickets to my weekly grocery budget, have not had to spend much thanks to gift cards on surveys and mobile game apps as well. Glad I did take the bus, I got roasted in the mall, did two laps around and the peanut butter and 6 soaps from bath and bodyworks were heavy, on the way home, realized I could make the over the shoulder bag lighterms by carrying a second bag, I will be going to costco tonight, that affords plenty of steps as well which is good too. Hope everyone is well.

• sunshine99
    Options

https://community.breastcancer.org/en/profile/lacorneille17 , I'm sorry about your recent diagnosis. It is, indeed, a gut punch.

DH has been having some issues with his back. He's always been really active with running, surfing, rock climbing, skiing, etc. He's not been able to do any of that and is getting really discouraged. We have some tests scheduled (as recommended by my ortho dad) so hopefully we can get this fixed.

He did find a used Peloton bike in practically new condition, and we brought it home yesterday. I just did a 10-minute ride on it and it was a great workout. I know there is the subscription you can get with the bike, but you can also just ride it without that. It got my heart rate up, which was a good thing. I do walk every day, but this is a whole new exercise for me.

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 185
    Options

Today my oncologist emphasized the importance of continuing to exercise. I’ve been slacking off lately…

• mara51506
    edited May 2023
    Options

I am so pissed off at my body. It is strong enough to walk but even in weather that is not hot, I overheat. The temp here is 23 celsius or 73 F, should be nice, wearing capris, light shirt etc. I even froze a scarf for a bit and put it on my head, no benefit from that. Walked 20 mins and started feeling almost faint. Pushed through until I got to a nearby bus shelter near the grocery store and sat. The walk itself was only 20 mins. Guess I will need to just train to get to the bus stop, make sure I can handle 15 mins. I took a cab home even after sitting on a bench at the grocery store. Plus side of the walk if there is one is that I can now prepare hotdogs or sausage and a bun in a toaster that does the bun and hotdog together. Getting that tomorrow. Otherwise, guess for me summer comes early. I do have air at home so that is good. Walk more on my treadmill since I won't dies of the heat.

May also consider more indoor walking and more portion control to lose weight. I've gained some weight. Perhaps losing it will help. Easy enough to measure calories and cut them off and hop on the treadmill because I don't remember getting this hot, even during cancer when I was about 40 lbs less. We will see, for now indoor walks and possible grocery delivery. Bus to the hospital when it is time for appointments. I can also set an alarm and go back to a morning walk even before breakfast, still going to stay close to home for that and do laps around nearby streets as well. It still cools down in the morning. We will see.

• sunshine99
    Options

mara, I'm sorry you're pissed at your body. I get it! There are days when I'm motivated to move and days when I just want to say, "Forget it" and park my butt on the couch and not move.

I'm liking the Peloton bike DH just bought, but won't be doing the subscription thing. I don't enjoy throbbing, thumping music with some uber-fit punk telling me "MOVE IT!" They have a "Just ride" option (no subscription required) and I found some scenic virtual bike rides on You Tube that don't cost anything or have annoying dialogue. They have background music, but I can mute that. I just prop up my cell phone and watch the pretty scenery go by. I've done a couple of 10-minute rides the past two days and really enjoyed them.

I'm still doing the Intermittent Fasting. If anyone is interested, I highly recommend Gin Stephens and her book, "Fast, Feast, Repeat." I love that she's not "selling" anything (except for her book). She does a good job of explaining insulin resistance and it's not too "science-y."

I'll let you all know how the Peloton works out. One of my biggest goals is to bring down my resting heart rate. Oh, one more book - I was reminded of the book, "Atomic Habits" and remembered I had it on my Kindle. I added the Audible version last night. He talks kind of fast, but I like it so far. He talks about "goals" vs. "systems" (I think that was the term he used).

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I hope everyone is having a good Sunday. Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

Carol

• AJ
    Options

Getting back into fitness. Just did a Yoga with Adrienne session. I modify the poses so that I’m not too tired after. Planning to take a walk before it gets too hot.

• brutersmom
    Options

I was just cleared my my oncologist to return to normal activity. I enjoy working out but I was not to do anything strenuous for the last 4.5 months so I did mostly maintenance type workouts and didn't push myself. Today I decided to push myself a little bit. Boy am I out of shape. I put my workout heart monitor in the red zone quite a few times. I use what is called a myzone for workouts. Boy am I tired now. But is sure felt good. Looking forward to doing it again.

• mara51506
    Options

I am working on PT, did my 20 sit to stands and legwork. Also doing Paul Eugene senior gold but doing it standing up. I only ever do the first 10 mins, gives me my marching on the spot steps to ensure I am always doing that outdoors and the muscles worked even when just pacing a small living room for 10 mins is enough. Really not feeling like outside right now, probably just slap a wig on to take out my one bag of garbage. Feeling like this is enough for me for now and better than I usually get. Certainly tires me out, starting at 40 mins of so of dedicated exercise, may do a mall trip tomorrow for walking and also arrive early at the hospital to get walking indoors before my appointment as well.

In case anyone is curious, link is here. He is quite fun and 10 minutes standing or sitting is a good amount of movement for both arms and legs, I've never tried the whole thing nor do I want to although just checking it out, suppose I could start standing and sit as well to get more movement, we will see.

• AJ
    Options

This looks like a great way to get some movement in, Mara! Thanks! Just got my butt back onto the yoga mat.

• brutersmom
    Options

Last week I was given the all clear to resume strenuous work out. Today I did my first cardio work out. I must say it felt good.

• mara51506
    Options

Well, still puttering along here. Got my complete list of PT moves to increase balance though the PT person thought I already have good balance so perhaps the exercises are just keeping me on my feet. Still using my cane, feel comfortable with it I must say.

I did go out this morning for almost half an hour, only issue I did not like was my body kept feeling like it was leaning backward. Rest of the walk was fine, my shorts do make a difference so will wear those. My thoughts on how to correct the problem is more weight on the right side with a water bottle in an over the shoulder bag. Alignment is off thanks to right side mx. I wear a prosthetic but it is lighter than my real breast. May also start walking the treadmill more with what I would take with me, my wallet is in one over the shoulder bag and the water bottle goes in another. We will see. I still use my cane as well and that feels pretty good as well. Come winter, who knows what will happen, will likely use taxi to get to the hospital when too snowy. This winter, I plan to keep a supply of my own salt to keep up with the snow and ice here. Make it easy to get in and out of the car.

• sunshine99
    Options

mara, what an interesting idea to walk the treadmill with the gear you usually carry on your walks. That's brilliant, IMO.

I used to see a woman at the gym (a thousand years ago) who would use the stair climber wearing hiking boots and carrying a camel-back of water. This was in prep for a trip to Machu Picchu. I thought that was a great idea.

• lehrski
    lehrski Member Posts: 68
    Options

Did a 5k race on Saturday. I was hoping to run the whole thing but it had 3 monster hills including one that was a 30% !!! grade. But I was happy that I could run everything except the hills. It felt good to have the breath to run now most of the cancer is gone from my lungs.

• mara51506
    Options

Lehrski, great job on the 5 K, walking or running most of the way as you did. I am also glad your breath was working well.

I took the bus to get some wheat bran, walking to and from the bus stop, got around 45 mins, still using my cane. Might do some short walks this afternoon, going to be warmer to not interested in overheating. Putting the stuff on my back helps, have to hold on to treadmill, I tend to sway. Also have to figure out my right breast are, that was my mastectomy side but since I gained some weight, my left breast is huge. Bought a silicone form I thought would fit but it is small, my back spasms without anything. Going to try breast for plus one of my larger pads. SIL has be thinking what I was wearing looks wrong. Don't have the money to get a proper measurement of a bra right now, will do later I think.

• coysgal
    coysgal Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello, this is my first-ever community post, and I was so grateful to find this topic on the community board!

I was diagnosed in April at Stage 4. I'm on round 2 of 6 for chemo. I have always been an exerciser/healthy eater, so this is something that I desperately wanted to continue during my treatment and with living with this going forward.

I'm happy to say I have been able to do this. Last week I did two weight workouts, one stretch, and three cardio. I do Jessica Smith videos at home-it's great because she even has a "recovery" section of videos that really worked for day 4/5 after chemo (my worst days.) She also has a BUILD section which is all about building the foundations for strength and cardio workouts (and these have been great for me too.)

I'm looking forward to meeting and getting to know everyone here. :-)

• sunshine99
    Options

coysgal, I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I think you'll find lots of good info and support here.

Carol