Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IV MBC Fitness

Options

Comments

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 235
    edited February 2023
    Options

It got up to almost 40 degrees here today so I walked a bit, but wore my cleats and used trekking poles. In order to up the fitness level of the walk, I've started rucking, which is, basically, wearing extra weight on my back when I walk. I added a few 5 lb dumbbells to my backpack so I've got a total of about 12 extra pounds I'm carrying. It isn't that much, but it should help with bone density and does make the walk just a little more challenging.

I also tried some Pilates the other day. Just 10 minutes, but, oooh boy, that was hard. I guess that means I probably should do more since it clearly is good for building strength.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 966
    edited February 2023
    Options

dghoff-I like the rucking idea-never knew it was an official thing. Sometimes I have weight on my back when I get books from the library or groceries but never thought of putting dumbbells in there. I'm going to try it. Since I had a lot of spinal mets, my back is not as strong as it used to be-this might be a good way to strengthen it. I bought a framed backpack last year and use it when I know I am going to get a lot of heavy groceries-it helps a lot. There are certain trips I'd like to take where you have to be able to carry 20 pounds on your back. Maybe I can work up to that. Thanks for the inspiration!

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,144
    edited February 2023
    Options

Guess I did not hit submit, starting to warm up here as well. All snow should be fully gone soon but there are some below freezing nights but today it is sunny so I will go out and treat the sidewalk outside my place with salt if it does not rain, keep the black ice down. Still not going to walk long distance for a while outside but once it is less icy, will resume. Will stick with groceries from Walmart as needed or other groceries when DB and I shop. For now marching in house, not feeling the treadmill but that is just fine, it can just stay there. Wish I had a recumbent bike to use when watching TV but nowhere to keep something like that. I am also on the road to 100 squats, hamstring exercises and calf raises as well, cannot hurt to keep muscle up. Started from one of each, increasing one per day so I do not get to sore from that. I am also debating a gym membership just to have access to strength training machines as well. We will see.

• chicagoan
    edited February 2023
    Options

Mara,

Do you have anything like a Park District in London? These are public park/fitness facilities that are common in the US. I am able to go to a fitness center for free during center hours since I am over 60, but even for those under 60, the rates are much better than private clubs or gyms. They are no frills but I can get in the workout I need and I like not having one more expense to deal with. Have fun today at the wine bar.

• mara51506
    edited February 2023
    Options

Yes we do have community centres that have fitness tracks that the public can use for free, there is a community centre not that far and it has a free fitness loop. I have not looked into a membership but walking that loop would be pretty fun. It is a nice facility as well. I could also see how much a membership for my income would be as there is a price reduction. I have a desire to use the pool. That would be really nice. I really have never filled out the form to join.

• dghoff
    edited February 2023
    Options

It was a nice day here in MN so my DH and I got out to do some hiking in the state parks about 75 miles south of us. Good to just get out of town for a little bit and get some sunshine in, but after hiking over 8 miles, I expect I will be feeling this a little more tomorrow!
    I wish there were a community center near me that had free options like you mentioned, Chicagoan, but I just have to make do with my Apple Fitness and my gym membership and keep wearing the cleats until this snow and ice melt away. How many more weeks til spring?

• mara51506
    edited February 2023
    Options

Most of the snow is gone from the sidewalk and it is quite warm this week. The only leftover patch of ice is in my apt building driveway. I will salt it today.

I did get a good walk in, my face was red due to the warmth. Used my cane. Took the bus part of the way home but it felt good to get out.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 682
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi ladies so glad everyone is working around the weather etc to get exercise in. Good weather week here in NJ it's been sunny and in the 50's which is wonderful! I plan on getting out everyday this week to walk besides my indoor morning workout. Hope we escape the winter weather although March can be a crazy weather month...fingers crossed. Have a good day!

• mara51506
    edited February 2023
    Options

We stay warm this week but get cooler, only thing I need to do is make sure the clumps of ice on the driveway are melted down as I don't want to deal with it when a little bit of snow happens. Overall, we had two snowfalls of any significance which is pretty good I think.

Feeling lazy today but I will have a treat and at least go for a half hour walk, better than nothing. I have nowhere I need to go and already washed all of my bedding in the creepy shed in my apartment so will do the walk later.

• cookie54
    edited February 2023
    Options

Well I went out to do a couple errands and decided to walk in the park today. Sometimes I need to switch up my places I walk, so it was enjoyable. Yup 30 minutes is just fine, whatever you feel like for the day. Somedays we have more energy than others, that's for sure! Yikes the creepy shed.....

• mara51506
    edited February 2023
    Options

I missed the workout yesterday due to feeling exhausted. Unsure why but there it is. Slept well last night so some indoor marching to add steps all day and a half hour walk outside. Just doing some laundry and have to clean out the garbage can that some workers dumped their trash in since our property managers don't do it, that is about all I have planned.

• cookie54
    edited February 2023
    Options

Mara hope you are feeling better today. Geez what do those property managers do? Sounds like not much to me!

Was another warm day here 60's ,sunny but very windy. Had good energy today, I got out for my morning walk with the dog and a afternoon mental health walk alone. Squeezed in washing my car too. Rain tomorrow, so looks like mainly indoor workouts for me.

• mara51506
    edited February 2023
    Options

They actually do nothing, when I fell on the driveway of our building that is not plowed, they gave a couple of shovels and bags of salt, no one plows the driveway to this day. Construction workers were here to fix a railing that was out of building code, the workers cleaned up the hall but stole my neighbours garbage can and used it to dump their garbage in. If I am still feeling like it, will go ahead and empty it into garbage bags. Put said garbage bags in a bin out back and cart them out one at a time along with mine, put the garbage can in the neighbours spot out back and they can put their own garbage out. If I don't do it, there will be garbage all over the place and neighbours overall really don't look after their own messes. I look after my own floor because I want it to be tidy, I do the salting to avoid falls etc.

• mara51506
    edited February 2023
    Options

Enough complaining about snow and ice on my part, it is not bad today. Partial indoor and outdoor workout. Marching on the spot indoors every 20 mins for 500 steps, need time to do surveys etc for extra money and will complete one 30 min walk outdoors.

Also decided I want to train to walk to the mall like I used to do. I will simply walk part of the way, take the bus and then bus it home, my brother is not too keen given my falls but the last one was from ice and I have not taken a spill with a cane. I figure, it is getting to be time to take care of that. My cane is good outdoors and when grocery shopping, I just walk around without a cane. Use my fold up cane for that purpose. The walk to the mall and back is 7 miles, was able to do it before but once I had a couple falls, stopped walking that far.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,609
    edited February 2023
    Options

I posted this on another thread, but it's funny enough to repeat.

• mara51506
    edited February 2023
    Options

Well, that's good that it's not ass cold. Cold and sunny here. Tired myself out with big load of laundry so am taking a rest today from the walking but can take a walk tomroow outside as there will not be much to do tomorrow.

• dghoff
    edited February 2023
    Options

Ha! It's definitely ass cold here! Just got dumped on with about a foot of snow and temps hitting below zero with the windchill. Got my exercise today shoveling!

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 887
    edited February 2023
    Options

Last month I learned that my cancer has returned to the pleura of my lung. I was started on Letrozole and Ibrance. I stopped anastrozole in late winter of 2017 due to side effects. After several thoracentesis and meds the fluid is gone and last week was told my lungs are now clear, fluid is gone, and I can return to the gym, Prior to January 1st, I was lifting weights and doing cardio workouts about 5 days a week. This recurrence hit hard and fast. Test show that is only in the lung right now. Here is my question. I find that I have night sweats when I work out and I don't get good quality sleep. Night sweat and lack of sleep were the reason I stopped anastrozole in 2017 but I was working full time back then and didn't work out regularly. I am thinking maybe I need to slow down my workouts until I get back into shape again. I was away from the gym for 6 weeks and before that the holidays got in the way of regular workouts. I have been on the 2 meds for about 5 weeks and just trying to figure out life on these drugs. I have not have the muscle aches and stiffness like I did the first time around so I know I need to exercise. What have some of others experiences. Just trying to wrap my brain around everything right now and keep moving forward.

• luvdbyhim
    luvdbyhim Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2023
    Options

brutersmom - I am on Ibrance and Fluvestrant. Started in Nov. I can say that the stiffness/muscle aches from Ibrance have now subsided. I personally had more bonepain on Anastrazole which i was on for 9 years than I have now with Ibrance.

I used to work out and this has thrown me for a loop but need to get back to it. Start out slow instead of jumping both feet in. You may build up your ability to get back to what you were doing but it may take some time.

• brutersmom
    edited February 2023
    Options

Mara51506 There is something about sore muscles that have always made me feel alive and healthy. There is a fine line though between that alive and good and alive and I will never do that again. I will admit I did back off on Friday nights work out. I do have some sore muscles but I did not get the hot flashes like I have been having and I did sleep pretty well 2 nights in a row which is a plus.

• mara51506
    edited February 2023
    Options

Good, I am glad you got some well needed sleep. Nothing wrong with backing off or doing the same amount in short bursts throughout the day, all modes are just as effective. If you can do it longer, go for it. I personally am quite whiny when sore so I tend to back off some.

• dghoff
    edited February 2023
    Options

Got out for a snowshoe hike today. I find if I take a couple days off from exercise, my body has a harder time revving back up again. With all the snow we had this week the only exercise I had all week was one yoga session and some shoveling, so I was feeling the effort today. But, I'm hoping the hike today will get me back on track. Mara, I think your suggestion of many short bursts of exercise is a good way to go. I'll try that tomorrow!

• chicagoan
    edited February 2023
    Options

DGHoff-A snowshoe hike sounds so delightful! Glad you were able to get out.

• luvdbyhim
    edited February 2023
    Options

I bought a new fitbit because mine broke and I have not worn it in a little while. Yesterday and today I walked over 5,000 steps. I am posting this to keep me accountable. I used to do 15,000 steps a day. Since diagnosis I have been thrown for a loop and I think I am finally getting my feet under me. But I do think for not exercising a long time it is going to take me a while to get back to the 15,000 steps!

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited February 2023
    Options

You can do it luvbdbyhim!

• brutersmom
    edited February 2023
    Options

luvdbyhim Take time and build back to it. I December despite my knee issue I was still working out 5 days a week. Then I developed fluid around the lung due to a CA recurrence over the holidays and stopped working out until mid February. I can't do what I did between loafing around for almost 2 months and the Ibrance my energy is not the same. I do what I can and I keep moving. I do find I need a longer recovery time between workouts. I also seem to get winded faster/ Probably because my red count is low. I use a my zone to monitor my heart rate and not overdue it. Do a little more each day. Until you get to the goal. Don't quit.

• luvdbyhim
    edited March 2023
    Options

Cowgirl & Brutersmom - Thank you for the encouragement Smile

• mara51506
    edited March 2023
    Options

luvdbyhim, you can and will get to 15000. You can do that in your house and of course walking around fairly easily, keep it simple, 500 at a time or 1000 at a time. If you shorten the bursts of walking, makes it easier as you do not get as sore.

I am really tired of this freezing rain. With my lack of balance, I feel uncomfortable walking outdoors even with cleats. I did melt some of the snow in front of my building but going to UBER to the hospital. Once the thick ice and snow subside, I can start training to walk the 7 miles to the mall and back. I used to enjoy doing that. To melt the snow, took some of rock salt, put in a pot, added some alcohol and dishsoap as well and poured it on the sidewalk. If it is warmer after my chemo infusion, I will take the shovel and do in front of my building. Should not be my job but the property managers and other residents do not pitch in.

• mara51506
    edited March 2023
    Options

luvdbyhim, you can and will get to 15000. You can do that in your house and of course walking around fairly easily, keep it simple, 500 at a time or 1000 at a time. If you shorten the bursts of walking, makes it easier as you do not get as sore.

I am really tired of this freezing rain. With my lack of balance, I feel uncomfortable walking outdoors even with cleats. I did melt some of the snow in front of my building but going to UBER to the hospital. Once the thick ice and snow subside, I can start training to walk the 7 miles to the mall and back. I used to enjoy doing that. To melt the snow, took some of rock salt, put in a pot, added some alcohol and dishsoap as well and poured it on the sidewalk. If it is warmer after my chemo infusion, I will take the shovel and do in front of my building. Should not be my job but the property managers and other residents do not pitch in.

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited March 2023
    Options

brutersmom - I think some of the shortness of breath is a side effect of some of our cancer drugs. I have noticed this too and I do seem to have some days that are noticeably worse than others.