Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IV MBC Fitness

Options

Comments

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited February 2022
    Options

Mara, I like Leslie Sansone too. I have a lot of her DVDs and on of her CDs. I'm so old school I still have my CD fanny pack that I used for walking. I came across it a few weeks ago and will make use of it once again! I didn't get my bagels made this weekend. We had last minute guests on Friday night. My original plans had to get modified and it just didn't happen.

• cowgal
    edited March 2022
    Options

Mara, I think I remember a while back that you mentioned a site or sites that you used to get your beats per minute walking music. I tried to search for your post but with the new updates to this site all I get are errors. Could you post that information again?

If anyone else has suggestions in this area, I would like to hear from you as well.

• katyblu
    katyblu Member Posts: 217
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hey everyone! So.... before my initial dx I was super in shape and powerlifting. After treatment I started getting back into fitness and "running" races (a mix of walk/run haha!). My DH and I worked up to half-marathons and completed 4 before COVID got in our way. We did a bunch of virtual 5k/10ks and the Army Ten Miler over COVID, which was fun. But then I was dx'd last August with MBC and my fitness kind of took a dive. I was still doing OrangeTheory Fitness, though not at previous levels, but my walk/runs basically disappeared. My DH and I were supposed to run the Rock N' Roll Half Marathon in Las Vegas originally back in Nov 2020 but it was postponed due to COVID. Despite not really training up as much as I wanted to, he and I were able to complete the half marathon last Sunday in Las Vegas! It was brutal for me, especially after mile 8 but I just kept Dory from Finding Nemo in my head "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!". We also used several of the remarkable phrases from the Ukrainians over this last 2 weeks to help us through. While I'm not advocating for anyone to run a half marathon or even a 5k, I just wanted you ladies to know that we are still capable people and can keep moving. Doesn't have to be on our feet, we can swim or bike or even dance a bit. But I thought I'd spread a little of my happiness and success!

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358
    edited March 2022
    Options

Katyblu, that is so good to hear! Congratulations on such a feat! I hope you had a fun time in Las Vegas. I have friend who ran it too, one you met at the beer fest!

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,144
    edited March 2022
    Options

Katyblu, that is amazing, good for you.

When trying to motivate myself, I tend to listen to I believe I can fly. I love and relate to the lyrics. RKelly is a bad dude but I love how the song inspires me.

• Kikomoon
    edited March 2022
    Options

Mara, are you still doing your exercising? I have not in awhile as my hand foot syndrome is acting up. I found a new cream that might be helping but I have a big toe that the nail bleeds if I confine it to a sneaker for too long :(

We bought a very cheap exercise bike. DH was like, don’t you want a nicer one with digital features? I said “what for? I am not a workout star!” 😂 we still have to assemble it.

• mara51506
    edited March 2022
    Options

Kikomoon, I do still walk. Walked to and from my chemo app't. Wore cleats this morning as it was still cold and was unsure of ice since we had some freezing rain. We could not have got much of anything as the sidewalks were mostly dry. Took off the cleats before entering the cancer centre. I mostly walk inside but should increase the outdoor stuff too since it takes a lot out of me to do.

As far as your bike goes, anything to take pressure off sore feet is good and no need for anything too fancy. Hopefully you guys got it assembled by now. I would love a bike but my apartment is far too small for one.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,609
    edited March 2022
    Options

I'm still using my under desk elliptical machine along with outdoor walking. Most of my "steps" i earn on the machine. I've started a new "diet", in which I take the previous day's calorie count, per my FitBit, and subtract 500 calories for my intake allowance. It's working slowly, but surely. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the Fitbit counts, since I just got a new one and the counts are different from the old one. Oh well. I was down 2.4 pounds today from my start 2 weeks ago. Time will tell.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2022
    Options

I feel like I'm swimming against a strong current and losing ground. There's just not enough recovery time between my chemos to get back to where I was so I feel each cycle I'm falling further behind (my chemo is Day 1, Day 8 then one week off). In the time off, I'm not feeling well the entire time and even though I make an effort to move, it really feels like I'm moving backwards. I read that in healthy people muscle can take 12-16 weeks to grow. But in cancer, on top of the chemo fatigue, the tumors themselves put out weird hormones that disrupt cell signalling making building muscle hard. Each week I think I'm just getting a tiny bit weaker. Cardio has same issue. My lung met feels like it's not responding to current treatment & cardio also takes time to build up and disappears quickly.

I've now been on IV chemo for 24 months

• sunshine99
    edited March 2022
    Options

moth, I’m so sorry you’re going through such a rough time. I’ll write more when I’m not in bed trying to write on my phone, but I just wanted to say I’m sorry.

• sunshine99
    edited March 2022
    Options

Moth, this really sucks and I'm so sorry this treatment has been so hard on you. It sucks that you're feeling weaker, it sucks that your hormones are doing whack-a-doodle things, and it sucks to have to deal with the fatigue and all the other "gifts" that chemo gives you. It sucks that you've been on IV chemo for TWO YEARS! I wish I had the perfect answer or response to your post. I hope it helps just the tiniest bit to know that friends are thinking of you and care.

(((hugs)))

Carol

• mara51506
    edited March 2022
    Options

Moth, I am so sorry for the constant chemo you have had to be on. I definitely thing Triple negative cancer is quite horrible as most treatments are chemo. Wish you had more immune therapy or targeted therapy. I hope there will be time for you to get stronger incrementally.

For me, I thought I would have gained weight but was weighed yesterday and I am the same weight as before which is still over what I should be but I do exercise most days. Some days walking feels like more of a chore. If I really don't want to walk, I march around the house. Literally marching to the kitchen or across the living room to get some extra activity. I sit a lot due to filling out surveys, using different devices. No room for a proper desk to use an elliptical with so laptop is used on my lap which is fine due to a laptop fan under it. I will get some strength training as I will be throwing out garbage which I let pile up in my rubber made tote that stores it. I want to get rid of all of it so I can clean and deodorize it with my steamer, hauling out an old portable washer to the garbage as well. Luckily that is only in the neighbourhood of 25 pounds. Make some more room in the front closet.

• mara51506
    edited April 2022
    Options

I did forget to mention Monday's exercise. Walked to the hospital for my echo, that was fine. Was going to go home when I decided I needed mayo so I walked from the hospital to the grocery store and back home. Total distance in miles was 6.5 miles. Took me a couple of hours to achieve this. I walked slower, and I do take short strides to have less risk of tripping. I was also really tired once I got home. Honestly was just surprised I did all that but there was no really good bus option. I was unwilling to wait an hour either. It was also a wet day so was soaked as of course I did not bring an umbrella. I have not done a longer distance walk in a long time. Only problem that day was sore feet until I took advil, rested feet next day to avoid stressing them out too much.

• Kikomoon
    edited April 2022
    Options

wow Mara that is a lot of walking! No way I could do 6.5 miles right now. I could do 2 if I was forced to, maybe, and my feet would pay the price. Good for you! Still staring at this exercise bike box. I think I will try putting it together tomorrow. That will be an exercise by itself

• mara51506
    edited April 2022
    Options

Well, still being active to maintain but not doing super long walks all the time. I sit and do a lot of surveys and mobile games to earn a bit of extra money so now I am going to add a 10 min workout at least after meals. This one is more of a marching workout and I don't do it seated though it can be done seated as well. Lots of fun. My mom and I did this together when she was still around. Doing it standing made me have to balance more which is good and with the arm movement, it felt like a real effort.

Posting the video from youtube in case anyone wants to try it out for some extra movement. I am also trying a video that shows putting weights into a bucket and sliding it foot to foot for inner thigh strength training and pushing it from the center out for outer thigh strength training. It does not require weights, put anything heavier. An easy way to build leg strength whilst seated. Link to that listed below.

• snow-drop
    snow-drop Member Posts: 520
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hi everyone, sorry I disappeared for some time, long story… but I am happy to be able to be here again. I should get back to read your posts. Mara you are inspiration to this thread. I am in my off-week so I am going to take advantage of a little extra energy!!! No to unfinished housework today and save my energy for a light walk and enjoying the beauty of spring!

• mara51506
    edited April 2022
    Options

I am still doing the Paul Eugene workout, standing for the most part as I like the arm and leg movements. Realized that a good option to up the workout power is simply to throw some weights in my knapsack, simulating groceries and burn more calories. Though weight loss would be nice, it is not my immediate concern. Keep muscle through the marching which is a little like how I walk outdoors to minimize tripping.

I am looking for household things for strength training as I do not want or need a gym. There is a channel on youtube Adrian Bryant. He uses household items for building muscle. One video has him putting some weights in a bucket and while sitting, you slide the bucket back and forth to your feet for inner thigh and push the bucket with your feel as well.

• mara51506
    edited April 2022
    Options

I am still using the Paul Eugene senior gold posted above. Mostly doing it standing and it is good to do post meals.

My new plan for food and movement is to eat much smaller meals more often, thinking 4 or 5 counting a large glass of chocolate skim milk as a meal. If I do the 10 minutes post meals, that will keep my metabolism higher than just one long walk since I mostly sit to earn more money from surveys or mobile games I play. We will see how it all works out.

• mara51506
    edited May 2022
    Options

My feet are sore today but to break up the sitting during surveys and mobile games for cash, I am getting up to sort of dance, moving my hips, knees and arms. Feet stay on the ground but I still get some calorie burn and keep my feet in good shape. Need to use my emjoi callous remover to work on my feet. Though I have done it consistently, there is enough walking that still builds callouses on my feet.

I also thought about when I have appointments at the hospital for Herceptin or scans, I could show up early and walk the hospital halls a bit. There is a ton of hallway to walk through as well. Looking for stuff to replace the outdoor stuff as I am not interested in it so much. Not sure if the fear of falling is behind that but flat surfaces are my jam. Might see if there is one thing to pick up at the grocery store and just do a couple laps throughout the aisles to add some steps. I will have to some outdoor walking to the bus stop but that could be an option when bored.

• mara51506
    edited June 2022
    Options

It's been a while since posting. Feeling overweight and sluggish even with a bit of walking so instituting new expectations on myself for daily steps. I want 10000 steps a day. Do not mind if most are marching as I do a sort of march outside to avoid falls. I also have all day to complete it and can do 5 or ten minutes at a time, drink water eat meals. I prefer shoeless marching so using my yoga mat for cushioning. I cannot stand just walking long distance so if I cut it up throughout the day, I can easily reach that steip goal. My life is NOT busy so easy to do, will combat my sitting whilst doing surveys, mobile games or whatever on the couch. Today is day 1, I will see how this goes.

I used to walk to the mall and back and get 15000 so this will be easier but being cautious with the outdoor stuff after some falls as well as almost passing out. Mall walking a couple of times a week from the bus stop through Walmart and back to the bus can work too. We will see.

• cowgal
    edited June 2022
    Options

Good for you Mara! I have started doing some exercises to help with my back pain from a book "Pain Free" by Peter Egoscue. I am not able to do all of the exercises due to some physical limitations but hopefully, I can get some relief. I also bought a new exercise ball that is larger than what is recommended for my height but the one for my height I think is too low and hurts my artificial knees plus, I am going to use the ball for mimicking horseback riding. Back when I was healthy, I used to use a balance ball to help with riding exercises and I thought it was more fun than a lot of other exercises.

• mara51506
    edited June 2022
    Options

Cowgal, the ball sounds like a good idea to simulate riding. Hope you can gain something from it. I will say it was a struggle getting all the steps. If the weather is good, may sneak around the block for maybe 1/2 hour or so. Need to combine indoor and outdoor or just go to the grocery store, walk all the aisles and take the bus and I get walking that way too. Parks are nice but further away. We will see what I decide to do.

• mara51506
    edited June 2022
    Options

So, hope everyone enjoying summer. Not too busy here but will post this anyway.

I am trying to lose weight, scared to become an obese person so decided the way to do it for me is eating snack size meals 200 to no more than 300 four to six times a day. Easy enough to do, even including pasta and then do a Paul Eugene workout after each meal for 10 minutes. I figure that eating and then exercising more often will rev up my metabolism plus this should make me feel more energetic, we will see. Posting the workout in case it is pages and pages back on the thread. This is quick and can be done sitting or standing. Only workout that does not bore me to tears. There is another workout I do that terrifies the cats that I can only do 5 mins. I will post it below as well.

• sunshine99
    edited June 2022
    Options

mara, I always enjoy your posts. I, too, want exercise that doesn't bore me to tears. Walking, stepping, and my under desk elliptical are my forms of exercise. I try to incorporate a little strength training, but, as you said, it bores me. ;)

I've been dealing with weight gain, too, and I hate it. I forget which thread it was, but someone suggested intermittent fasting. NO WAY!, I thought. However, after reading a couple of books (believe me, I've read plenty of book on dieting) I found a book by Dr. Jason Fung called "The Complete Guide to Fasting." The second book was by Gin Stephens called Delay, Don't Deny. (Dr. Fung also wrote The Obesity Code and The Diabetes Code.)

Anyway, these two books really resonated with me. Every diet I've ever tried made me sure that THIS was the perfect diet, and furthermore, EVERYONE should follow this diet. Gin Stephens is very good at explaining how we are all individuals, and my "perfect" way of eating may not be YOUR perfect way of eating.

It might be worth looking into. Dr. Fung has some You Tube videos, but I didn't enjoy those as much as the books.

Please, please, please let me assure that I'm not telling you what to do or saying you "must" try this. I'm just throwing it out there. I've had a bit of cold water thrown on me over this because some think it's not healthy. Bottom line, we need to do what works for us and if ANY eating plan causes us more stress, then it's not worth it.

Love and hugs (and stay cool out there!)

Carol

PS I can give you a list of all of the diet books I've read and tried and were convinced they were the answer for EVERYONE! Just in case you need a laugh! :)

• mara51506
    edited June 2022
    Options

Sunshine, I have heard of intermittent fasting but I feel too hungry when doing it. If you are having success, it shows it definitely works for some people. I kind of like the idea of the tiny meals and the exercise for me, just keeps it more consistent. I do the beating of the chair with the broom and then other exercise in between, still only able to do 5 mins but it is good, love me Paul Eugene because he reminds me of when Mom and I would do it together as she hated walking but wanted to do something.

• mara51506
    edited August 2022
    Options

Wow, my body sent me a strong message which was get your ass back on the treadmill to train for outdoor walking, I will explain.

I have to go to a mail depot to check for mail, the trip there and back with a mcdonalds meal/rest was 5 miles, about 1h45 mins total walking time. By the time I started to the mail depot, I had to stop and rest on a couple of benches. I picked up the one letter I got and started to head toward home, I felt like I better stop for a small meal at McDonalds. Got pop for the sugar boost, cheeseburger and fries for the salt I was sweating out. Ate maybe half, started on the rest of the way home which is not far from there. By the time I got to the 2nd last street before mine, my breathing became more laboured which sucks and I occasionally held on to a tree to keep from falling over. It is not hot today either. I was stress crying when I got home.

I used to be able to bang out 15000 steps no problem, walk 7 miles with a trip to the burger joint but I lost that ability after a fall in December which fractured my elbow and likely cheekbone caused me to fear the walking. I think I will do extra training and try morning walking to keep up the outdoor stuff but really have to let go of the idea of long distance walking outdoors and take the bus wherever I can. Just maintain ability to walk for about a half hour to the hospital. Luckily my MRI is at 715 am tomorrow so it will be cool.

• sunshine99
    edited August 2022
    Options

Oh, mara, I'm sorry. I hate the fear that overcomes us after we've had a fall! Be safe (as I know you are.)

• mara51506
    edited September 2022
    Options

I had a fine walk for my 7am MRI and I am taking the bus home. We will see about shorter walks around the block. I do think that unless it is less than 70 F, shorter walks with bus mixed in is the way to go for me as well as the treadmill.

I was honestly surprised because my body would not let me go to bed, I basically spent the night watching youtube and dozing lightly, was not really tired and the walk there was no struggle. Felt a little cool. Was lazy though, did not put my leggings on again, kept my larger sort of track pants I wear for MRI that are cotton. I also took the bus, ran into a building neighbour and chatted with him a bit which was nice. Not sure what I was expecting but I expected more activity at my place, thinking people might be moving in today but nothing yet. Since the new units are furnished, I would not imagine people need much since there is furniture. We will see. I still am jealous of the washer/dryer combo that were put in their apartments but I don't want to pay almost twice the rent either.

• mara51506
    edited September 2022
    Options

Well, my body decided to throw a wrench into the walking plans so changes will be made. I cannot handle ANY heat, even if it is not humid. On Thurs, I struggled to the hospital and then tripped and fell in front of cars in the parking garage, 3 people helped me, two to get me up, one to put me in a wheelchair.

I confess that most days I simply sit and don't do much but obviously, I need to change that. My thought is to march for 10000 steps at home, can do 500 or so throughout the day and use my step bench and take a couple of steps up on each leg. Found a new video called Stair Step Exercise for Balance on youtube. I will also do some outdoor walking but only far enough that will take me to my bus stops. Mall walking etc is fine but no more really long walks unless it is in my house. We will see how the 10000 steps helps my legs.

• mara51506
    edited October 2022
    Options

I am seeing this thread is dead right now, will talk to myself in the meantime. Z started me on being more active and I like our bunch here.

Updating, my balance is still an issue but still moving, 20 mins on the treadmill, taking bus to a mall a couple times a week for some good mall walking and if I must walk outdoors, I use a cane, it all counts, fast, slow or however you pace yourself but still getting it done, using Leslie Sansone to supplement steps, working back up to 10000 throughout a day.