Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Unfortunately things are going downhill

Options

Comments

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandy - Just this all sucks - cancer, progression and difficult decisions.    I was dx stage 4  - 3 and a half years ago and it was a met in my adrenal gland.  Very unusual I guess!    I have been NED on Herceptin and tykerb.     I discussed having adrenal gland removed - my thought was problem solved.  My onc was not on board with this   Said adrenal gland acts like a fish net and he wanted it to continue to catch any wayward cells   I didn't push removal as I became NED

Keep us posted.  Gentle hugs

Nel

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thank you for the update. Not a walk in the park, but sounds doable.

>Z<

• jobur
    jobur Member Posts: 493
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandy, Glad to hear it went well today. Fingers crossed you get to keep your hair.

And thank you Michelle for keeping Kandy company!

• Ronnie3001
    Ronnie3001 Member Posts: 155
    edited January 2017
    Options

I am sorry to hear this news I know it is hard to deal with. Don't give up hope, I am praying for good news to come your way.

Ronnie

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandy - How are things, two days later?

>Z<

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandy, ugh, lousy cancer. You have important things to do, like cuddle with Harper. I am glad you are getting abraxane, with much lower chance of a reaction than the other taxanes. And no benadryl required, right? Wishing you smooth sailing and a great response.

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandy, don't forget you have super powers. You licked that massive surgery and they thought you might never walk. You kicked that to the curb. I know you must feel betrayed by your body, but I think you are going to get better asap. Prayers for the right chemo cocktail,to give you more time with your precious family

• Kandy
    Kandy Member Posts: 424
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks to everyone for still trying to hold me up when I feel so down. They did give me dexamethasone before chemo. Not sure if they gave anything else. I am taking zofran and compazine for nausea. I have done pretty good, just sorta have waves of nausea. But at least no vomiting. Yesterday I had my port put back in. That was depressing, knowing it's there till I die now. But at least no more searching for veins. That gets bad and I don't have good veins. Fixing to leave to go have my MRI brain done. Last appointment for this week, thank god. Lord help I sure hope the mets haven't decided to hang out there too. I hope y'all are all doing well. Best wishes to each of you

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,028
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hugs and prayers for you, Kandy.

• amarantha
    amarantha Member Posts: 330
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandy, I am so sorry to hear of this progression, and know it must be so hard. Thank you so much for sharing what you are going through. I am glad to read that your first chemo treatment went well. I hope it will knock the socks off this as others have said.

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Glad chemo is over but now the brain scan. Blech. I hope you find some time for simple grounding pleasant things even as you go through this.

Healing thoughts coming your way.

>Z<

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thinking of you, Kandy, and wishing you well!

• Key2
    Key2 Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandy

Thinking of you big hugs stay strong!

Kimba

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandy, you stay strong thru this. So many sisters have persevered for years even after progression.

Sending hugs and prayers.

• Lillymillie
    Lillymillie Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2017
    Options

All I can add is that I've just finished 8 cycles of abraxane. I found it very tolerable. Nothing like the original taxanes. Only had 1 or 2 rough days at the start. Blame neulasta shot though. I got stable after first 3 months and the next 3 month scan showed it had cleared my plueral effusions and some areas of bones were resolving and liver looks clear after they were worried about a spot too small to biopsy. Next 3 month scan due soon. Onc has me back on hormomals so trying aromasin now. No idea if it is helping. Of course I'm worried with every ache and pain. I have lived life very normally on this chemo. Mini breaks, painted my spare bedroom....definitely not like my original chemo. I did lose my hair though 3 weeks in. I would like to be ibrance but still waiting on approval in UK. Maybe that would be good to start on afterwards. Best if luck

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Lilly - they have figured out chemo and I am so glad you have benefited. Thank you for sharing your story. I am hoping Kandy has the same experience...

>Z<

• Kandy
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm so hoping for a good response too. I don't think I can mentally or physically take anymore bad news. Thank you all for sharing and caring. Best wishes to each of you.

• bestbird
    bestbird Member Posts: 232
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandy, wishing you a torrent of excellent news ahead together with a great response to your treatment. Literally crossed my fingers and toes for you!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,785
    edited January 2017
    Options

kandy,

thinking of you in every positive way.

• Sherriw
    Sherriw Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2017
    Options

I am able to tolerate the abraxane without any support meds. For me that's a big qol plus since I swear sometimes those support meds are worse than the chemo. I'm wishing you a good reponse and an easy time on it

• jobur
    jobur Member Posts: 493
    edited January 2017
    Options

(((Kandy)))) So sorry you are going through this. I understand how you feel about the port, but hope it helps this make this tx more tolerable. Just wanted to send you a hug and more good wishes for a return to stable, and yes, even NED.  Have you gotten your brain scan results yet? All appendages crossed for nothing there but brain!

• MameMe
    MameMe Member Posts: 215
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi Kandy, I, too, am cheering for you in this latest challenge. My first progression a few months ago was JUST as hard as getting the original stage 4 diagnosis. Everything about this stage came flooding back, and the hearty, upbeat attitude I had built up over the first two years just collapsed. That's when I understood how much effort and energy goes into living life with mets. As some wise writer here said, ride with what you really feel until it loosens its grip and the world calls out to you again, because it will. .

I also had initial er+ pr +, but it changed to er+ pr-. I asked once about this awhile back in the forums, as I suspected it signals a change of some kind. Readers were not much interested in the topic then. Have you or anyone else noticed correlations between the change to pr- and how things go?

How are you feeling now, what did the brain scan say,and when is your next infusion? Warm hugs, Mame

• Kandy
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hello to all my friends, just a quick update. I went today for #2 infusion. Once again, I did well, thank goodness. They are giving me all the premeds. I think they are too concerned of the possibility that I'm going to react and so they have tried to cover every base to make sure it doesn't happen. The port worked well, it is still very sore and bruised, so to accesss it really hurt. I had used the numbing cream, but it didn't help today. I did get my results back from the MRI brain. It showed progression in the skull mets but no brain mets. I was thrilled about that. Once again, I took along TarheelMichelle in my pocket. She texted and sent pics for 4 hours while I was at the cancer center. Time flew by and I laughed a lot. Special thanks to her. We actually live pretty close so we are meeting for dinner tomorrow night. How cool is that? I came home and had to take an afternoon nap, those premeds make me so sleepy.Thank you all for all the support and advice you have given me. It's nice to know others that understand. Wishing everyone the very best. Enjoy the moment.

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandi - Glad the treatment is going ok. We are all cheerimg you on!

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandy, I am glad that things are going well so far, and very happy there are no brain mets. Enjoy dinner with TarheelMichelle. It must be wonderful to have someone so close who understands what you are going through.

Lynne

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi Kandy,

I hope the port area feels better soon. So glad to know your treatments are manageable so far and the MRI didn't show brain mets!!! Yay

Sending good wishes for negligible SEs and excellent results!!

Have fun at dinner tomorrow night;)

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,028
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandy, continued prayers and well wishes for the chemo. Have a great time with TarHeel, so nice of her to cheer you up during the chemo.

• LindaE54
    LindaE54 Member Posts: 1,379
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandy, thanks for the update. No brain mets is excellent news and good to hear tx is going well with great company! I hope you girls have fun tomorrow night.

• tarheelmichelle
    tarheelmichelle Member Posts: 248
    edited January 2017
    Options

I've been a member for 4 years, and have met only a couple of ladies who live in NC. Looking forward to actually meeting someone in person who also has Stage IV and lives just a half-hour away.

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kandy, so sorry that your creme didn't work. I put mine after shower, then have lab drawn...see onco and by then it is good and numb. I hope it works out well for you after it is healed. Mine gives me no trouble..knock on wood.

Glad you feel well enough to go lunch. Very good news no brain progression. I have the upmost faith that having licked that extremely critical surgery you had, you will do well with this and get it stopped from growing.