Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Is anyone going flat or living flat?

Options

Comments

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239
    edited March 2019
    Options

I went straight to real deal I had to really argue the point with my MO as they technically have to start us on the generic first. But she relented

You can call the eagle pharmacy, florida

Your dr can call or fax them the script. They charge $30 $1 a pill ( no insurance involved

Otherwise ,going thru insurance route it could cost $600 a month

• Christene502
    Christene502 Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hello Ladies..

I have been contemplating having double mastectomy no reconstruction for some time now, I have advanced MBC. Breast Surgeon said surgery won't extend my life. He only wants to do one breast and lift in my other... My oncologist said I will live a long happy life. He put my mind at ease, giving me hope. To make sure he ordered CAT scans and MRI which showed a new tumors now in both breasts. Again, he reassured me double mastectomy W/O Construction is the way to go.

I decided to have a double mastectomy with no reconstruction May 6th, since I have had a battle with a serious bone infection and read there is a 45% chance of infection with reconstruction...Plus the fact I don't what to go through 3 more surgeries just to have boobs.

I don't know how I will feel seeing my "girlie parts" gone.

I don't know what I will wear afterwards. Don't know what to expect. What I need to do Before Surgery to be prepared...

My head is whirling....
  • Darnit_DDD
    Darnit_DDD Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi Christene502,

Sorry you have to be here. I opted for BMX no reconstruction (3/6/19) and have no regrets.

You will find a lot of great info on this site, shopping lists, helpful suggestions and what to expect.

It’s been almost four weeks since my surgery and I’m now able to drive, shop, do chores, and even workout to a limited degree.

Wet wipes are handy. Someone recommended roll on deodorant which has been helpful. Make sure you have soft open to the front pajama tops or blouses on hand.

I bought pink pockets that helped with drain mgmt the first two weeks, but they don’t wash well, safety pins work just as well. I didn’t spend a lot of extra money on specialty clothing but a couple of loose fitting mastectomy bras with drain pouches are ideal.

I also got a super short haircut before surgery.

It’s an adjustment going breast free, everyone here can empathize. It’s a very personal decision, but so glad I did it, especially since they found areas of concern in both breasts that were removed.

You’ll be in our thoughts, best of luck to you on this journey!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,021
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi Christine502-

We know it's a big decision, and a very personal one at that. It sounds like you're making the best decision for your circumstances, and that's all anyone can do. But it's still hard to reconcile, we know! You'll find great support and resources here, We have a comprehensive list of member suggestions on how to prepare for surgery here: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91. And we're all here for you every step of the way!

The Mods

• notthrilled
    notthrilled Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2019
    Options

I am moving slowly toward explant surgery. My implants are uncomfortable at best, at worst painful. They wake me up at night. My pectorals hurt. They look fine as far as these things go, and I don't have any known infections etc. They just are awful. You can't take them off. And in the winter it is like wearing ice packs on your chest. I am interested in anything folks can tell me about the explant process, what to look out for, what to expect. I have experienced enough to not trust doctors any more. I expected there was a risk of complications, but not that they would just be horrid. The pressure to have reconstruction is huge.

• Christene502
    edited April 2019
    Options

Darnit_DDD

Thanks for all your suggestions... I will look into loose fitting mastectomy bras with drain pouches. I recently purchased robes with front zippers. Have tons of lounging, relax pants with pockets, I also have 9 Colombia fleece tops that have pockets on the interior side, just not sure if the material will be to scratchy after surgery.

Any other suggestions would be grateful.

• rljes
    rljes Member Posts: 499
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi 

Christene, I had my BMX Aug 2017 without reconstruction. My BS wanted to keep my 'good' breast, but I insisted on removing both.  I have Zero regrets.  It was a shock when I first looked in the mirror, but that was it.  Right before I was Dx, I had been thinking about a breast reduction since mine were large, drooping, and hurt my upper back.  My breast used to hurt from being so large, the bra straps cut into my shoulders, I would have to wear slings made up of scarfs. Plus I had shingle nerve pain where the bra straps were - I was a mess before hand.  Now, I can wear cute little t-shirts and no shoulder / upper back pain.  Its not for everybody. but for me, I didn't even consider reconstruction.  Wish you the best! 

• Christene502
    edited April 2019
    Options

rljes ---

I have heavy breasts, I have dig marks in my shoulder from the bra straps...I rarely wear bras - so uncomfortable for me... Only wear when necessary... They get hot and sweaty underneath. I have to put powder there constantly, plus wipe them as much as possible before each Doctor examines them, don't want them feeling sweaty boobs

-- So why go through this with fake ones???

MY BS keeps insisting to have reconstruction saying I'm young... Told him I am no spring chicken anymore... Maybe if I were 30, 20, even 10 years younger would possibly think of it... But nope, at my age, I don't need them anymore....and my husband doesn't care. He cares more about ME....

Best of luck to you....

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239
    edited April 2019
    Options

hey christina,

I think your making a good decision from what youve said..

The drains are a nuisance but not that bad. Personally I think recovery is faster and less painful from the complaints the expander girls have had

I had a lot of nodes removed so my one side is still numb 2 years later but hey made for less pain

It is a major surgery, I was quite loopy for the 2 days in hospital But after that not so bad

Double D is right get a few larger front button down shirts

I just pinned my drains with big saftey pins and they put you in a mastectomy bra after surgery i kept mine on until the bandages were removed from my drain holes

I slept on my back propped with pillows all around

And didnt really look until they were removed by then I was healing nicely and it wasnt as bad as I thought

I was just glad to have the cancer gone

There are many bra options with pockets to put inserts

Although until your scars are healed you shouldnt use anyheavy inserts . I used little pocket thingys you stuffed with poly filler so it gave me a slight bump softly, this after my drains were removed

I used a sport bra that fastened in front

If you want a little shape for clothing.. as for intimate times I wear a pretty lacey bra with my 'little foobs'

But Im getting ahead of myself!!

what I mean is its doable there are options and many gals just go flat and wear it well

The important thing is your health

This site has been invaluable to me thru all my stages

And everyone is so helpful

Wishing you the best. Keep us posted!

• alto
    alto Member Posts: 82
    edited April 2019
    Options

I had a unilateral mastectomy without reconstruction. The first couple of weeks were tiring and inconvenient, but not as painful as I expected. I'd categorize the pain as "discomfort" (vs. the head-throbbing pain of the flu or something like that), and Tylenol took the edge off. I also had gabapentin/neurontin for nerve pain, and hardly felt any of that. Many people, including myself, forget about the discomfort quickly, as you start to heal.

I opted for non-recon because I'd already had 2 surgeries and getting back on my feet quickly was important to me. I just didn't need any more complications than what was required to try to get me better. I also felt better about my ability to engineer a solution for myself, knowing I could tweak it as much as I wanted. I'm picky, easily distracted, and allergic to things. I felt a lot of pressure to do implants, but I knew I could live without them. Now when I feel how chilly my silicone prosthetic can get on the outside, I'm comforted that I can put it back in the cradle at night.

My one recommendation would be to just get a couple of bras to start (and make sure they're on the loose side, zip up the front, and are as soft as you can find). For the first couple of months post-surgery, I found my needs changed about every week or two. I used the mastectomy recovery bra my doctor gave me for the first two weeks. I needed front close bras/tops and easy-on pants (couldn't lift my arms much or pull anything tight up). Then after the drain came out, I switched to a light Ana Ono camisole for another couple of weeks. Then I tried sports bras (those just ended up in the garbage). At about 4 weeks, I felt like I needed more support but could not tolerate a bra, so I went with an Amoena pocket camisole (which I had been unable to pull up in the first few weeks after surgery). At about 6 weeks, I started to try different bras, but they weren't comfortable - until about 8 weeks. So, one thing to keep in mind is that you'll be recovering fast, and every week, you'll have different sensations, sensitivities and needs. If you're a perfectionist/preparationist like me, it helps if you tell yourself to chill out and go with the flow for a while. For me, I was feeling a lot better by 4-5 weeks (less sensitivity, good range of motion), and mostly like myself around 8 weeks (no super heavy lifting, and can't do pushups yet!). Personally, I think you can come up with a beautiful and comfortable solution with all the camisoles and bras out there, or just go flat and comfy.

My other piece of advice would be to have patience in the first few weeks. You'll feel hazy and weak, but it won't stay that way. Your brain amazingly adjusts, your head learns to accept it, and your body springs back. Every few days my body was healing in some different way, with different sensations (ouchies, pricklies, tightness, pulling, weakness, itchies!), but they didn't stick around long.

• rljes
    edited April 2019
    Options

Posting this again - A ittle over the top - but My BS said the Plastic Surgeon does Nipple tattoos and Insurance pays ! 

• Christene502
    edited April 2019
    Options

Thank you all, I appreciate all the advise you are giving me... definitely helps.

Any advise on showering? I can't get down in a tub, had major surgeries on hip, knee, shoulder which is frozen.. Can't lift my arm above my head.

• rljes
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi Christene, In anticipation of surgery, I had a hand help shower thingy ( durn that chemo brain) I havn't taken a bath in years, can't get up and out. So I only take showers and have a shower stool in case I get tired or dizzy. 

Best advice is to do your exercises and stretch.  I got lazy and my left side where my lymph nodes were taken still after 1 1/2 years later, feels like a golf ball under my arm pit.  The more I stretch, the better I feel, even after all this time. 

• Christene502
    edited April 2019
    Options

rljes Thanks

Looking into a portable shower thingy to attach to my tub sprout. I haven't taken a bath in years, ever since I had my hip and knee replaced and frozen shoulder due to fracture / bone infection... Boy do I miss baths.

• alto
    alto Member Posts: 82
    edited April 2019
    Options

I had a handheld shower attachment with an extra long cord so I could leave in the bottom of the tub. In the early days I leaned over the tub and my husband washed my hair. Then I used the shower attachment to wash my feet, legs, etc. Those gentle baby wipes work great for keeping fresh - I used them under my arms, and for my arms/neck, etc.

• romashka
    romashka Member Posts: 24
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi Christene502,

I am flat and very happy this way. I do not wear a bra and did not wear one at any point after surgery.

I now have extra drawer space and no bras hanging off every door knob. 😊

I wore a bellybag to carry my drains in. In the shower, I clothespinned them to a hanger.

The flat & fabulous website had wonderfully useful tips for at the hospital and home.

Lots of hugs!

• Christene502
    edited April 2019
    Options

romashka

I never wear a bra when I am home (unless company is coming over) Only wear when going out.

Can you tell be about your bellybag? Did you make it? Or bought at a store? I was looking at Home Depot apron - cheap enough... I don't want to spend a fortune on something that will only be used for a very short time...

I did check out Flat & Fabulous site, I couldn't find anything there...

• Christene502
    edited April 2019
    Options

MamaOz So glad your cancer is gone..And may that be the case for the rest of your life.

Wish i could say the same, unfortunately it's in my hip bone (femur) and chest wall. Doctors told me I will never be cured... it was sad to hear... Still having the BMX just to get the primary tumors out of my body.

• romashka
    edited April 2019
    Options

Christene502,

On the flat and fabulous website, go to the menu, choose Voices, then Resources, then you'll see a list of items and mastectomy tips are towards the lower part of the list.

If you have a problem, let me know. I'm happy to email or talk to help you.

• romashka
    edited April 2019
    Options

Christene502,

The bellybag was just your standard type. Usually inexpensive. Depending on how many drains you have, you might need a roomier one.

• Christene502
    edited April 2019
    Options

romashka Thanks for getting me to that page on Flat & Fabulous...

• rljes
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi all - Christine - I just bought button shirts from the thrift store and the cancer center gave me 2 little pouches to keep my drains in that I safety pinned to my shirts.  A lanyard from my old job clipped to drains in the shower.  Since you will only need for a few weeks - why spend time and money?  The only thing I spent money on was lots and lots of pillows to keep me on my back.  Best of luck! 

• Christene502
    edited April 2019
    Options

rljes

My house is filled with all sorts of pillows... I purchased a man's button down shirt, same size my husband wears... I doubt he'll wear it after I use it, it's pink.... I found a lanyard that I had from my old job. I am now figuring out a way to make a seat belt pillow without spending tons of money.. Have to look around the house to see what I can use... I will also sew up some pouches maybe a pouch apron using old clothes... just not sure what size to make them...?

• beesy_the_other_one
    beesy_the_other_one Member Posts: 170
    edited April 2019
    Options

rljes,

My friend who had a BMX a few years ago bought me that seat belt buddy--but it's literally foam in a flannel cover that velcros together at one end. Even a safety pin or two would do it. It did help me early on in the car. On the size of the pouches, I bought this one below and wore it 24/7, except in the shower, which is what it's really for (I used a piece of ribbon and two safety pins in the shower). Maybe the photo will help you with the size? It had one of those nice plastic clips like on a backpack (know you can buy at Joann's) with the black strap material. I grabbed this photo off of Amazon but I can take a photo of my actual belt clip if that would help. The benefit is that it didn't come untied like a nail apron would, and you don't want those drains hanging! I bought a cami that had pouches and I never used it so I plan to return it this Friday when I go for bra and prosthetic fitting.

As an encouragement, and I know everyone's different, but I was surprised at the way I bounced back after this surgery. As I told Christene502 on another thread, my biggest recommendation is to ask the anesthesiologist for a nerve block. I ended up taking very little pain medication as a result of having it.

Beesy

• rljes
    edited April 2019
    Options

Ps - Those who have to walk your dogs - I tied the leash around my waist so didn't pull on my arms.  Worked very well.  My baby Truman just seemed to know not to pull to hard.   And don't be like me : don't forget to STRETCH!  (after its safe to do so) 

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited May 2019
    Options

hello ladies - I’m looking for info from someone who had explant surgery five + years ago due to capsular contraction. Did the surgeon repair your pecs? Do you have any tightness now? Thank you in advance

• rljes
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi FarmerLucy - I can't help you, but just wanted to say Hi, hope you find some answers 

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited May 2019
    Options

Thanks so much for bumping me!

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    edited May 2019
    Options

FarmerLucy,

Try looking in reconstruction threads or try typing explant into search button.

• Christene502
    edited May 2019
    Options

Anyone have issues looking concaved? Or Ribs sticking out?