Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Is anyone going flat or living flat?

Options

Comments

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited June 2017
    Options

mamaox I unfortunately learned the hard way. I was on tamoxafin for 6 years before I had a TIA. I was 7 years out and just had surgery for a new breast cancer in the same breast. I'll be on Arimidex for 5 years so 12 years all together. Heavens. I'm at risk for osteoporosis which is why I was on tamoxafin.

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239
    edited June 2017
    Options

kira yeah i alteady have osteopenia and after chemo I discovered i now have high cholesterol , not chemos fault

But wow its a crap shoot

• kira1234
    edited June 2017
    Options

I agree mama Oz a crap shoot. I just found out today I have osteoarthritis from my knee surgeon. Apparently tamoxafin can cause osteoarthritis. So now I guess I'll be using celebrex. I guess I should take stock in the medical industry.

• MamaOz
    edited June 2017
    Options

good idea on stock buying!! Why should the industry make all the big bucks

As you know i m 18 days podt surgery had drsinscout Monday, at first foc said she thought to keep me in compression for another week but then decided not to use bandage ( most likely because shes going on vacstion for next 2 weeks) and said I could wear whatever I wanted

Well ive now got to puffy spots under my arms just above where drain hole came from..they are tender.. hoping its not fluid build up I have appt tomorrow morning with the phys/ lymph therapist so ill see what she thinks whether it needs drs attention

Also having trouble with what to wear while still healing

i have a sport bra that's a little tight and the stupid thing from hospital i had on first 2, weeks , which i washed so at least its no longer itchy or can I just wear loose cami, wasnt sure if compression would help

anyone have suggestions??

• kira1234
    edited June 2017
    Options

mamaOz I am wearing a sports bra. It's very comfortable. I began wearing it after 3 weeks. At 2 weeks I still had the drains in

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi MamaOz,

I'm glad you're on the other side of surgery, but sorry you're not happy with the appearance. As others have said, a lot of the lumps etc. may even out as you continue to heal. But the good news is that if you're still not happy down the road, a plastic surgeon can definitely clean it up, as Momine said. My impression is that since so many women choose reconstruction these days, breast surgeons don't have nearly as much experience in creating a good cosmetic result for someone who decides to go flat. So, sometimes the results are less than optimal.

Hi Kira,

Sorry for the reason you're back here, but this is still a very supportive place. I hope you continue to adjust well. I had a bilateral mastectomy three years after a lumpectomy and rads (because of a second cancer). I've enjoyed the symmetry. I hope you will, too!

• MamaOz
    edited June 2017
    Options

Erica, i know I will be ok with my choice

Was just shocking... started Pt/LT today I had some cording and have a ways to go on range but the therapist was very gentle and great ..

• MamaOz
    edited June 2017
    Options

kira thanks I had 2 sport bras the one was too small so I think ill use the one that fits better and the PT/LT therapist said perhaps a cami with some spandex for slight compression.

• kira1234
    edited June 2017
    Options

Erica I'm sorry about your second cancer too. I decided to go flat for the symmetry. I'm actually doing very well. Trying to adjust to the new ameridex pills I'm on.

• MamaOz
    edited June 2017
    Options

Erica, i just checked out your breastfree site and found very helpful advice!! Thank you😊

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited June 2017
    Options

Great, glad you found it helpful! Thanks for letting me know.

• kira1234
    edited June 2017
    Options

Erica I actually found your site when looking for pictures so I'd be able to describe to my breast surgeon how I wanted to look.

• shortcake42
    shortcake42 Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I do Not want to wear a silicone boob. from what I have seen they are heavy and I live in a humid climate-no thanks. I had just the left breast removed and have a D on the right. I just sewed a regular bra flat on one side, or wear a sports bra that I remodeled for work. I could care less what someone else thinks of my decision to go flat on one side, it's my body. I am the one who has to look at myself in the mirror. I see a strong, good looking woman.
  • lrwells50
    lrwells50 Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2017
    Options

Shortcake42, you're the only one that matters.

• MamaOz
    edited June 2017
    Options

shortcake.. love the attitude!! I am finding that being flat is ok .. I am 4 weeks post surgery. Painfully plugging thru cords in PT ... I just wish that was it..isnt that enough?

However.. like most of you I still need radiation and the hormone pills most lkely arimidex ... trying to stay positive !! Im finding it hard not to be consumed by it all and to find the optimistic outlook so important to recovery..

Tips appreciated !! 🌷

• heidi s
    heidi s Member Posts: 398
    edited June 2017
    Options

I had my BMX June 12, 2015. After two years, I still have no desire to get fitted for a foob. I wear whatever I feel like wearing, and am not self conscious about being flat.

• ravzari
    ravzari Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2017
    Options

hsant I'm the same really; if I want to wear something, I'm going to wear it. If somebody else doesn't like that I'm wearing it, the problem is 100% on their end.

About the only thing I won't wear anymore are things with molded bra cups because, well, those just look a bit silly without something to fill 'em up. :D

• heidi s
    heidi s Member Posts: 398
    edited June 2017
    Options

Rav, you can always stuff those molded bra cups with Kleenex. Kidding! This is all so personal to the individual. I am just sharing my feelings and experience

• MamaOz
    edited June 2017
    Options

you girls are fantastic inspiration! And after all ...its really about getting the chance to live our lives

that is whattruly matters

Thankyou

Mamaoz

• Heidibird
    Heidibird Member Posts: 169
    edited June 2017
    Options

Agree!

• flatsiedoll
    flatsiedoll Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2017
    Options

I think anyone having the surgery has a CHOICE OF HOW THEY WANT TO BE CUT AND SEWN. There is NO MEDICAL NECESSITY FOR HORIZONTAL CUTTING. It is my opinion that VERTICAL INCISIONS could be smaller and will not only heal with possibly less pain and time, they may certainly be less stressful in movement and in healing. In fact, I would bet that the long incision that is being made is also unnecessary, and that it is possible to make a small incision and to surgically tattoo or re-attach the nipple without the giant scar that is not different from what it was in the 1960/s. How is it that the scar length for this surgery has not diminished in 70 years while every other surgery has??? Time to put our breasts together and create a solution....

• MamaOz
    edited June 2017
    Options

Flatsiedoll

Did you have surgery yet??

I had alot of lymphs removed and I dont think a vertical incision would have worked for me ..

And having no recon at least the horizontal scars are low enough to be concealed without having to worry about that , ...after all the reason is to remove the breast tissue

Perhaps if they made several vertical cuts??

However. I do agree we should always have a choice .. I chose bmx no recon but had a plastic surgeon close me up after the onc surgeon did his job as he said she would have a better result.. after 4 weeks its still not pretty but theres still glue on scars .. From what I understand it takes quite awile before things settle .. and with a sportbra on only I can see them..and I look fine.

• Shelly1359
    Shelly1359 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Options

I am scheduled for double mastectomy July 19, 2017.

In 2013 I went through IDC, had a lumpectomy, chemo, and radiation. I am a strong person so for the most part I handled it all well. Now 4 years 3 months later I have DCIS. I have made the decision to have the mastectomy because I don't want to continue to worry about it coming back again. I know there is a chance it can return in another part of my body, but I feel my odds will be greater. I am currently a 44DD, and I am sure most of you can relate to the positive thought process I have, No more sweaty boobs, no more rash under my boobs, no more trying to find a decent bra to hold them up. Oh yeah those right there are exciting me. LOL I have read a lot of information and watched videos and pictures to try and prepare myself visually. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good scar cream to use to help the scars fade after the healing?  Right now I don't seem to be too worried about the surgery, but I have been having some very mixed emotions. One day I woke up holding my boobs saying "no there mine". I dreamed the other day that I came home from my surgery and started throwing all my bra's out of the drawer like some crazy woman. Then I started having anxiety over that. I also was excited about no more mammograms. Don't have to worry about wearing a low cut shirt and showing too much cleavage. And one of the most exciting things about surgery is SLEEP. I do not sleep well, haven't for about 10 years. When I have surgery I know I will get some much needed sleep. I am sure come Tuesday or Wednesday I will probably be scared out of my mind. One other thing that keeps going through my mind is what if I don't make it thru the surgery?

Are these all normal thoughts I should be having? Can anyone else relate to me? Would appreciate advice, and comments. Thanks in advance.

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited July 2017
    Options

Shelly,

All of those weird thoughts you're having are perfectly normal. You are about to have a surgery that will forever change your body. It's scary and waiting for it is incredibly nerve-wracking.

I had my surgery in April, BMX with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction. I found the surgery and recovery to be a lot easier than chemo. I was fortunate that everything went so smoothly for me. I really hate being dependent on others, so maybe that's what helped me get back on my feet so quickly.

And you're right about getting some sleep during surgery. I woke up from the 10 hour surgery feeling refreshed and rested. Having nurses waiting on me hand and foot for six days was pretty relaxing as well.

As far as worrying about not waking up from surgery, that's a pretty common fear. But it's extremely rare for it to actually happen. More likely is that you'll have a successful surgery with no major complications.

Don't be afraid to ask your doctor for something to ease your fear on surgery day. Just make sure the anesthesiologist knows about it.

Good luck. It'll be over and done with before you know it.

Trish

• LizA17
    LizA17 Member Posts: 102
    edited July 2017
    Options

As you can see, I had BMX in December of 2012. I chose not to have reconstruction. I had 2 positive nodes but was in a gray area as far as radiation. My MO & RO decided not to do any radiation. I don't regret the decision to not have reconstruction. I'd had large breasts my whole life. It was kind of liberating to not have that anymore. I considered it but had heard so many reconstruction horror stories. I'd been thru enough at that point.

• Reina_de_los_changos
    Reina_de_los_changos Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi Shelly,

I think your fears and thoughts are normal. I had a unilateral mastectomy on 9/9/16, with no reconstruction. I'm a uniboob-- flat on one side. :D

I used to fear surgeries, and being put under, but I have great confidence in doctors, so I've gotten over that fear. You're in good hands. And all of your positive thoughts about the surgery will really help. :)

I'll send positive thoughts and prayers your way.

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    edited July 2017
    Options

Regarding cream/lotion for BMX scars, I asked my PS. He said that time is what heals scars, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to use something.

I wish I had used a cream or lotion on one side and nothing on the other just as my own little experiment. It would have been interesting to see if there was a difference. I didn't use anything.

My scars went from dark pink to light pink fairly quickly and now, three years later, they are hard-to-see pale silver lines

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited July 2017
    Options

The scar that wasn't radiated faded very quickly, without any special help. On the radiation side it is still ugly, but mostly from radiation damage.

• LoveBig
    LoveBig Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2017
    Options

I had my bmx July 7th. I was worried about the anesthesia and just afraid in general. My surgeon had them give me Ativan before they gave me the node dye. It really did help. I woke in very little pain, no nausea at all which I also worried about. Had my drains removed last Thursday and staples out yesterday. I did wear a compression bandage until yesterday. I wore a light cotton loose fitting tank yesterday and after everything was removed the feeling of air on my skin was wonderful. We went to a store afterwards and it was a odd feeling to be out in public without a bra. I had been a 36 dd before surgery. Going bra less had never been a option I was comfortable with before. I really do enjoy going bra free! I did bag up all my bras not with a vengeance as I'm still a bit sore. But they are gone none the less! So far being flat doesn't make me uncomfortable or self conscious

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited July 2017
    Options

Nice thread! I chose reconstruction T/E to implants. Now 5 surgeries later I am also a uniboob and happy for it. I did not have large boobs before and now my left one is small again~~they don't seem to make small implants. But I am still happy with my choices, just unlucky with rads causing big cording and scar tissue and ultimately implant contracture. I had all redone in December due to those issues. Said to the PS not long before "maybe we should get rid of this mess." He said that in this profession we don't like to call it a mess. He is a great PS but I am unlucky as I said. No regrets now~~impossible to second guess in this BC life! I am so far going braless but have to pick and choose tops.

Glad to be here!