Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Is anyone going flat or living flat?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• B-A-P
    B-A-P Member Posts: 409
    edited September 2019
    Options

I started my own thread but figured here would be a good place to ask. Anyone have general lumpiness after mastectomy and rads ? I have some ropy lumps , some soft ones and some flat ones

Finished rads at end of May and on an AI. First time giving myself and exam and felt lots of things lol

Wasn’t sure what to expect ! :)

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239
    edited October 2019
    Options

did you have lymph nodes removed. I had cording which feels like a tight rope down my arm but I goto a lymphedema phys therapist and she worked them out after my surgery. Now 2 yrs later I have scar tisdie causing blockages but the PT is very helpful

Also have the dog ear thing going with extra skin. And my ribs take turns with zingers.

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited October 2019
    Options

I had bmx on 8/13/19 and have just gone flat for the past few days. I’m pretty sure I’m going to love this.....started hating bras w the very first wearing at puberty.

• B-A-P
    B-A-P Member Posts: 409
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi MamaOZ

I did have cording after my surgery. It was actually pretty bad, but PT worked it out in a couple of sessions. My arm is perfect. My chest has tightness which I am stretching . The lumpiness is near the beginning of my scar closest to my sternum. Super movable, just super lumpy. I just had a clear CT so I figure if there was something sinister , it would have been seen, but ya know the thought it always there . Hard to accept the good news. lol . Not sure what scar tissue or fibrosis feels like

• Pommom1809
    Pommom1809 Member Posts: 161
    edited October 2019
    Options

my radiation ended August 1 of this year. My left side & neck were radiated, no problems with the skin. Now I’m starting to have pain in my upper left back & in the back of my neck. It was severe last night, I even popped a couple souped up Tylenol. That seemed to work, but it’s mid evening & the pain is coming back. Can this be from my radiation treatments

• MamaOz
    edited October 2019
    Options

pommmomm

Not sure. 2 years after my rads. I still get twinges of pain in ribs in various spots. And very tender almost burning feeling between my shoulder blades in my back

Like yesterday at work I was sitting on floor for half an hour sorting thru paper work. Just mild stretching to different spots while sorting piles. Then had to carry some things. My back by end of day was on fire

Im assuming its partially from severed muscle, nerves from bmx plus rads. But who knows

• MamaOz
    edited October 2019
    Options

Bap

Glad your CT went well

• Sunocean
    Sunocean Member Posts: 121
    edited May 2020
    Options

question for you ladies. For those of you who had radiation is the radiated side more swollen?

I am flat opted for no reconstruction. had radiation a year ago. Been noticing my radiated side is swollen. Always has been but feels more sensitive. Assuming this is normal. Just wanted to know if this is common.

• coraleliz
    coraleliz Member Posts: 158
    edited May 2020
    Options

Sunocean-I had both sides radiated d/t bilateral CA. I had some problems with swelling on the left side. I had pretty much identical surgery on both sides. It took a long time for the swelling to go away completely.

• Sunocean
    Sunocean Member Posts: 121
    edited May 2020
    Options

thanks for responding. It is appreciated!

• MamaOz
    edited May 2020
    Options

It mat be lymphatic fluid. Did you have any nodes removed

• KARW41
    KARW41 Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2020
    Options

I'm going flat with a bilateral mastectomy. I don't have money or time for reconstruction, such as to maintain implants, or take extra time to recover from reconstruction. I know it will likely be a traumatic adjustment, but I have honestly felt like not having breasts for a while after watching my mother suffer through breast cancer three times, (her quality of life was in the toilet for 25 years, absolute misery) and getting called back over and over myself for repeat/diagnostic mammograms, missing work, anxiety, and for a total of four biopsies in the 10 years I've gotten mammograms, finally getting extensive 9 cm DCIS in my small right breast. In any case, I am now mostly concerned from seeing all the women who went flat who have large "dog ears" and lumps, so I'm trying to steel myself for that. I will have to get therapy to help me feel better if I don't like what it looks like I guess. I got some Athleta "Empower" bras and easy to put on post-mastectomy camisoles, and a bunch of zip up sweat shirts to just wear while recovering. My main concern is being able to still be active and one surgeon told me I would not want to get just the right breast off because if I run and/or hike, it would cause balance issues. Also, it takes longer to recovery from reconstruction and the implants require maintenance and later surgeries it seems, and I'm not interested in that just for aesthetics. In any case, I don't look forward to having what I'm guessing will be like two concavities, or ice cream scoops out of my chest (did not have much there anyway) but I feel a whole lot better if I don't have to go through what my mother did, so that's also partly why I'm doing it. I never liked wearing low cut clothing and had nothing much to show off anyhow, and rarely have time to just sit by a pool or at the beach (have lived two places, directly next to the pool) due to working two jobs or long hours and also attending grad school and being outside hiking around. Divorced, no husband, no boyfriend, not planning to date (no time), just turned 50, (diagnosed at age 49), and just a few close friends, and I don't have to please or displease anyone but myself.

• helenlouise
    helenlouise Member Posts: 363
    edited June 2020
    Options

kawri41, if you can get a plastic surgeon to clean up Directly after the surgeon removes the breast tissue you should get a much better outcome and avoid dog ears and lumps. I live in a rural area and would have had to travel to get breast surgeon plus plastic surgeon and chose not to do that. Just thought. You will get used to your new look regardless. good luck to you

• romashka
    romashka Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2020
    Options

kawri41, you've got good reasons for the choices you're making. I'm flat and pleased with being so. It was a comfortable choice for me to make. I think when the concern about dog ears and such comes up, body type/shape, weight, and breast surgeon must be factored in. I'm smaller on top so it worked okay. Very importantly though, my breast surgeon took care to make it as clean a closing as possible.

Wishing you peace & wellness.

• bennybear
    bennybear Member Posts: 245
    edited June 2020
    Options

My breast surgeon did a great job, no extra bumps. I did a single, without reconstruction and even though I am large busted have no problems with balance with a well chosen prosthesis. So do what is best for you, best of luck.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited June 2020
    Options

I do regret for having breast reconstruction. It took longer to recover from BMX and I had another surgery to remove TS and put silicone. Two times in strong antibiotics for infections. I only had antibiotics 4-5 times in my life but now with breast reconstruction it has become part of maintenance. I can't exercise like before and I always have this fear that something is lurking underneath the silicones.