Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2017

Comments

• mmcmom
    mmcmom Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2017

Jeanwash- so glad to hear you are doing well.

Deni1661..thanks so much for your input!

Another question..I am not sleeping at all at night. Just can't get comfortable and it's very frustrating. Any suggestions

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    edited August 2017

denni- pain/discomfort at the end of the day gets better with time. About 2-3 weeks after returning to work I was good to go with little to no discomfort. Returning to work after surgery recovery is a big change for your body and it will find its new normal again.I wear chunky heels to work and I think that helps with the posture and stretching of the tummy too. I make sure I've got a pillow or two under my knees when I'm in bed or in the recliner to take some of the strain off the tummy.

• songbird72
    songbird72 Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2017

jeanswash--I'm so happy it went well for you!

I'm scheduled for an appointment next Friday to discuss Stage 2. I'm ready to have them match! I'm having a lift on my left side.

As for nipples, I'm not getting one. I'm just doing a tattoo--and not a nipple tattoo. I'm thinking something cute like a butterfly or fluer de lis

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2017

Hello, Does anyone know how long after rads PS's recommend/prefer doing DIEP? TIA

• jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited August 2017

I also had TEs during my radiation.My last radiation treatment was on Nov 12 and I had my DIEP on Mar 10. (4months). My PS would not schedule a date though until 2 months after rads to check the condition of my tissue first. I had no skin issues with my radiation treatment just a slight suntanned area. I never burned nor even got more than a slight pink tone.

I hope your skin handles the radiation as well and you get a quick turnaround.

I would definitely wait until I had good skin before proceeding if possible.

• TWills
    edited August 2017

Oh wow, that's so much quicker than I thought. Humm, been considering implants or Lat Flap but concidering DIEP now. 4 months sounds better than a year. TE's aren't necessary for DIEP right?

• kcmc
    kcmc Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2017

Can I ask a "icky" question. Sorry if it's too much information. I had my DIEP Flap done on May 22nd. Happy with results. Today is the first day I did not have to grab a 800 mg of ibuprofen "YEAH". During both of my pregnancies I grew very dark hair on my stomach. It fell out after first pregnancy but not second. Now I have hairy breasts, really hairy. I don't want to pluck anything yet but jeez another place to pluck. Maybe they will fall out during chemo and not grow back. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will they just die and fall out? Sorry if this is too much information.

Monica

• cdv4251992
    cdv4251992 Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2017

I am 5 months out today and this morning I noticed a swollen spot on the lower part ofmy reconstructed breast. It's discolored and soft, not a lump. I called my PS and they scheduled an appt for Friday. I looked at it just now when I got home from work and it looks like there is a blister on the swollen spot. Can you develop an infection so far out from surgery?

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    edited August 2017

Hello Everyone, I had originally considering Diep and during my UMX, PS puts in the TE, now I'm not going for the Diep, so needs to take TE out. Does anyone know how long the procedure is and the recovery time and is there any tube drain? Thanks so much.

• Katjadvm
    Katjadvm Member Posts: 117
    edited August 2017

Twillis: My PS would not do diep until 6 months after rads were over. The TE placement gives you a more cosmetic final look, but is not 100% necessary. I had TE's but became septic so had them removed. I am still having a DIEP in October, but will have obvious incision lines because no TE. Hope that helps.

• TWills
    edited August 2017

Katjadvm, that makes a lot of sense, thank you. Often wondered why some have TE's first, just figured they were like me and had to get onthe reconstruction train and then start figuring everything out.

• deni1661
    deni1661 Member Posts: 425
    edited August 2017
    KCMC - not an icky question at all, I'm glad you asked! I had very fine, long hairs on my recon breast. It looked so weird to have those long hairs sticking out all over! I gently shaved it about 2 weeks ago and so far it hasn't grown back yet.
  • deni1661
    edited August 2017
    Lula73 - thanks for the encouragement! I will try the pillows at night. I used pillows after surgery but stopped when the weather got warmer. I do notice my stomach feels much better when I pull my legs up so I bet the pillows will help too.
  • deni1661
    edited August 2017
    cdv425 - I had a soft red bump for a week or so, but it didn't have a blister like yours. Mine went away on its own. It seems odd that you could get an infection after 5 months, I hope that's not the case. Good luck with your appointment on Friday, let us know the outcome.

Take care
  • jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited August 2017

I had tissue expanders placed at the time of my mastectomy because my scans showed potential DCIS in the tumor bed following chemo. The purpose of the tissue expanders were to allow me to do skin sparing surgery in anticipation of future reconstruction following radiation. This did not change my final surgical scars I still ended up with football shaped skin paddles. I did no additional fills.

I did like that I was not flat while going through radiation and waiting for reconstruction.

• BigSister-2015
    BigSister-2015 Member Posts: 298
    edited August 2017

Houston, removing a TE is easy. I had mine removed twice because of infection. No drains with a removal. Yay!

Katjadvm, the scars are not terrible without the TE. I had one in and one out when o had my DIEP. The flap on the TE side is a little smaller than the flap on the TE side, but neither shows outside my bra line. I have a nice cleavage to show.

The side that had the infection is a little funky compared to the noninfection side. Not sure if that is from scar tissue or what.

• Kali44
    Kali44 Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2017

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted here. Busy busy with the kids and some ups and downs day to day trying not to focus too much on this disease and live life but sometimes struggling a bit.

Good to see so many having good experiences with their surgery ☺ I am still feeling that stiffness on my left side since surgery, almost 4 months ago. I really hate these darn exercises. Am I the only one lol I never hear anyone else complain about them 😮

Anyway, cdv425 I have been massaging the scars and recently noticed, as of this evening, I too have some swelling and a soft bump and was wondering what it could be 🤔 Unfortunately we are headed on vacay this weekend and I won't be able to see my ps before I leave....do you all think it is something I need to be concerned about....???

For those of you having surgery soon, I wish you all a smooth journey and quick healing and for everyone else continued good health.

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    edited August 2017

Thanks Big Sister. If I remove the TE now, and later decide to do Diep, do I need the TE put in again? How about having a right breast lift at the same time with left TE removal. Good idea??

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    edited August 2017

KCMC, I had my hair lasered off at the plastic surgeon's office. No extra charge!

• cdv4251992
    edited August 2017

Kal44, it's weird you mention scar massage because my physical therapist was working on two scars that have adhered themselves to me and one was the scar where one of the drains was on the underside of that breast, about an inch away from the spot. The session was last Friday, though, and the spot didn't show up until yesterday in my case, so not sure it's related

I hate to waste the PS's time if it's nothing. I offered to take pics, which I've done in the past, but the nurse said she would just schedule an appt. It is larger this morning and I'm a little freaked. Just when chemo is finally done and I'm supposed to start recovering from the last 5 months.

• kcmc
    kcmc Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2017

Thank you peregrine lady and deni, at least I know I am not turning into an animal! I'll ask about laser hair removal because the hair is so dark so I would be a candidate if not shaving it is! Thank you ladies!

Monica

• BigSister-2015
    BigSister-2015 Member Posts: 298
    edited August 2017

Kali, what exercises?

Houston, the point of the TEs is to stretch skin so the flap won't be as big. I they did a skin soaring mastectomy and left skin, they could do the DIEP without TEs, but all that is up to your PS. They are all a little different.

If you are doing a lift, yes, do it at the same time as the TE removal. That way you are put under anesthesia once instead of twice.

• Katjadvm
    Katjadvm Member Posts: 117
    edited August 2017

So, I think the blister like bump and any other small bumps that pop up are associated with suture knots. Even though buried suture is absorbable, it still takes quite a long time for it to be completely resorbed. I am a veterinarian and not uncommon for a knot of suture to surface quite a while after surgery. Almost like the body "spitting it out". Weird to think about. Thank you all who are posting your experiences with surgery. I am learning so much from you.

• LMichele
    LMichele Member Posts: 88
    edited August 2017

IronMom3: wow that was crappy thing for someone to say. as I always tell my kids, people are usually mean to someone else if they are hurting for some reason and they can't come up with a better way to make themselves feel relatively better.

I love your icon pic and YOU GO GIRL!!! keep us posted. I am 3 months into my 7 month wait and four months from today I am having the diep. got to run a half marathon first! I am getting more "excited" if you will, to get my implants out. even if I have small ones under the diep I think that will be okay.

• Kali44
    Kali44 Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2017

Hi!!!!

Cdv425 I called ps because I am also feeling some discomfort but the soft bump/pocket type thing was a concern especially going on vacay. The nurse asked me to send a pic and I did and she showed it to my ps he thinks it is fluid like an abcess. Ok.... what now????

Well they initially wanted me to come in to have it drained but I cannot go alone with my kids and hubby cannot take time off right now. Argh...timing sometimes really really sucks....

So the nurse told me to use the compress that I used before and maybe the body will help to absorb it and if not we can schedule an appointment when I return. So, ps isn't worried at all but I wished it could have been drained right away instead of waiting.

I know I know things could be worse but it would have brought peace of mind to have been able to see ps. Why does life have to be this way sometimes 😯

Oh well...it is what it is and thankfully it is nothing to worry about ☺

BigSister-2015...I mean the exercises for helping with return of movement in the arm on the side where reconstruction was done. Same sucky exercises done after surgery. I hate hate hate doing them 😣 I know the best thing is to have all these different tests done but I just want a break from seeing doctors constantly....just a short breather... I know you guys know what I mean...

Anyway I wish you all a great night and an awesome weekend 🙄

• cdv4251992
    edited August 2017

Good to know, Kali44. I offered to send pics to my PS (often did this when he was treating the infection I had in March and April) but they said to come in. I always worry that I'll get there and it will be nothing and he'll give me attitude. Also, I am using precious FLMA time I cannot afford to use. I also don't want this to be something. I'm tiredof there always being something.

Have a good vacation! I hope the fluid resolves itself.

• mmcmom
    mmcmom Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2017

When did everyone return to work after DIEP? I'm thinking 6 weeks. Did your PS put any restrictions

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    edited August 2017

I went back at 8 and wish I'd waited til 10 weeks. But my job also requires a lot of in and out of the car, walking and lifting things all day. If not for that, 6 or 8 would've been fine

• aquilegia
    aquilegia Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2017

I went back to work at a desk job at 4 weeks: 30 hours per week, mostly working at home. Full time at 6 weeks. Only restriction was not lifting more than 30 pounds. Caution for others - I heal fast and had UMX with no lymph node removal. Probably better to target 6 weeks minimum.

Note - getting the correct paperwork to go back part-time was challenging. I finally had to sit in the Kaiser records office in person and put the clerk on the phone with the company handling my disability payments so that the correct language was put in the Work Status Report. The word they were looking for was "intermittent" .

• grateful99
    grateful99 Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2017

Just had my two week check up after DIEP touch up surgery to make nipples, get rid of the dog ears, do a bit of lipo filling on one breast and correct abdominal scar. All dressings are off, stitches are out and the PS, is happy with the result. I have a few bruises left and two small blisters. He said I didn't have any fat for upper pole lipo filling of the right breast and the left one might diminish any way. He might do it again at a later time if I have more fat with only a local anesthetic. I'm glad this part is done and haven't decided yet about tattoos. I'm allowed to swim in a week (after three weeks post surgery) but won't be lifting anything heavy yet.