Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2017

Comments

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    edited August 2017

Thanks Big sister. Yes, I'm planning to ask PS about doing the lift on right breast, at same time with TE removal. The only question is Would my insurance cover the lift since I'm not doing recon to the left breast. Anyone has similar experience? Thank you All.

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited August 2017

gratefull 99 you look awesome. So natural (except for scars which will fade)

• grateful99
    grateful99 Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2017

Thanks, Tpralph. When will you have your touch up?

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited August 2017

gratefull99 unfortunately not until next year as I am getting my chemo now then alnd and rads.  looking forward to being where you are now!  I'm planning for the same as you and tattoos at this point. hoping they will do some lipo to fill out upper poles as breasts seem flat like burger buns

• BigSister-2015
    BigSister-2015 Member Posts: 298
    edited August 2017

Good question, Houston. Your PS should be able to answer it for you.

• jeanwash
    jeanwash Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2017

Wishing healing to all in process,

My day 11 update...

I feel better everyday. I thought I was done with pain pills but decided taking one in evening helped with sleep and comfort. I don't seem to need anything during the day.

My day 7 post op visit was great. They removed the drain out of the flap. Yay! 2 more to go.

I am standing fairly straight up since yesterday . But I think this is a deceiving sense of wellness. I felt great and I thought I needed to get out of the house and went to Costco with my husband yesterday. Bad idea. Worried about being knocked down and pushing the cart initially felt like having a walker but eventually felt just like pushing a heavy cart... was happy to get back to the car.

Today I woke up feeling great. I took walk outside to see my garden and rolled up part of water hose. BAD, TERRIBLE IDEA!!! I felt good but when I looked at my breast incision I saw a little bleeding. I cleaned that up and now quite frightened to do anything with arm at all.

I have 2nd dr appointment in 3 days..

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited August 2017

I wouldn't worry too much about it, jeanwash. You're paying attention to the signals your body is giving you, and knowing that you have to take it a little easier.

I think one of the reasons I did so well sfter my surgery is that I didn't just lay around. I was up and moving pretty quickly. I think that helps with stretching out your abdominal muscles and your arm muscles. I paid close attention to what my body told me, and stopped to rest as often as I needed to.

Glad you're feeling better.

Trish

• grateful99
    edited August 2017

Jeanwash, 100 lashes with a wet noodle for you! Be very careful - it's way to early for you to be pushing shopping carts and lifting any weights such as hoses. My incisions split open at three weeks and then it took nine weeks all together to close them up again. Give it at least ten more days and then start slowly.

Trishyla, perhaps you are much younger than I am (65 when I had DIEP done) and your body bounced back quicker. Good for you.

• mmcmom
    mmcmom Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2017

I know it's so tempting to push it, tomorrow is 21 days for me. Each day is a little better, I am walking but taking lots of breaks. Slow and steady...

• jeanwash
    edited August 2017

At what point do you use bra support after diep? I need support on my good breast to be presentable but don't want to impair the flap on the other side. So far I haven't used any bra or support 12 daysout. I really have to do something...

• mmcmom
    mmcmom Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2017

I'm wearing sports bra, although I don't think it's a sports bra, not sure what it's called, its soft and no underwire. Got a jockey one that zips up the front and tanks with shelf bras.

• Pambc010417
    Pambc010417 Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2017

jeanwash - I wore bras that fastened in front, loose fit and no wires. The cheap bras you can find at Kolhs and walmart. My PS did not want anything binding on my breast.

Regarding exercise, my PS encouraged walking only, not pushing heavy carts or lifting, while walking. I think I overdid it after my surgery on March 8 and he had lots of repairs to do in stage two which was last Friday, August 4th. Now, I'm recovering all over again but this is worse because I had to come home and could not stay in the hospital for a few days. I also think my chemo caused my abdomen not to heal properly. He said I had several seramos and my skin did not adhere back. I do recommend wearing a light compression such as Spanx to hold things in the abdomen area, especially as you walk or do any exercise. Be sure and ask your PS what he recommends.

Good Luck

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    edited August 2017

jeanwash-did they not give you a bra/have you in a bra after surgery? I used the one they put on me til the swelling went down then graduated to alternating between a genie bra and a full coverage bra from a anaono.com, followed by Victoria's Secret wireless after that. Docs wanted no compression (which eliminated sports bras) and no underwires. At 36D it's been a challenge but fortunately VS was up to the challenge.

• aquilegia
    aquilegia Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2017

jeanwash - my PS was adamant, no bra at all until 6 weeks. They don't want any compression on the flap that could impair blood circulation and lead to necrosis of the flap. I wore camisoles without a bra shelf and loose clothes until the 6 weeks were over. SInce then I've been wearing soft bralettes, because I found that my old bras had seams that caused the reconstructed breast to get deep grooves after a day's use.

It didn't feel great going braless, but not as hard as giving up caffeine for a month!

• jeanwash
    edited August 2017

Thank you all for your responses to the bra question.

Lula- no I was not provided with anything. Just instructions not to use arm and keep warm and camisole only.

Aquilegia, mmcmom, Pambc, lula... I managed to get a genie bras one size up that work ok. It doesn't compress the flap but does sort of support the untouched good breast.

The swelling has gone down and the flap feels more like breast with slight movement. Very exciting to feel like I have a breast after 7 year flat on that side...

Songbird, I hope yoursurgery went well and you are recovering nicely.

• grateful99
    edited August 2017

Congratulations, Jenawash. I had no idea you waited seven years! Yes, it's a treat to have real breasts again. And new nipples for me as well!

• jeanwash
    edited August 2017

Grateful, yes it was finally time. Thank you for posting your progress... You really look fantastic. I have big football incision across reconstructed breast. But I do not mind at all. My mastectomy incisions healed so well you could barely see them after time. I have heeded your advice and really calmed down and taking time to heal. Nine weeks to heal opened incisions has duly scared me back intomy recliner except for frequent controlled walks around the house.

• BigSister-2015
    edited August 2017

Good morning ladies. I had my DIEP at the end of 2015, so I am a year and a half out. I finally got around to getting my nipple tattoos by Vinnie in June.

So, here is my final product. I couldn't be happier!! Those 3-D tats are great. I had nipples done, but they are pretty small. I think I would have been fine with the 3-D tats alone.

• Pambc010417
    Pambc010417 Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2017

BigSister-2. You look great! The PS and Vinnie did a great job!! I had an extensive Stage 2 last Friday, Aug. 4th and can't wait to heal! I'm feeling better everyday from basically having a redo on Abdomin area to eliminate seromas and he had to add biological mesh inserted. Taxotere chemo really made me blow up and swell which impacted my recovery from March 8 initial surgery. I noticed bloating after my second treatment.

Everyone- i found this great website that relates to tummy tucks, which is basically what happens in a DIEP Flap surgery. It has great information under tabs at the top of the page, 1) explaining our anatomy, General information tab, Surgery information tab, Road to recovery tab. I wish I would have found this sooner! Website is tuckthattummy.com

http://www.tuckthattummy.com

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    edited August 2017

Bigsister-you look amazing! Those tats are spectacular-never would've guessed it was all Vinnie's work. Don't knock the size of the nipples - mine look very similar

• deni1661
    deni1661 Member Posts: 425
    edited August 2017

big sister you look great! Those tats look so real. Thanks for posting. I'm getting my phase 2 done on November.

• deni1661
    edited August 2017
    I'm still wearing a sports bra, regular bras are too uncomfortable. I started PT so I have new exercises to help with the tight tummy. Pambc thanks for posting the tummy website!

mmcmom and jeanwash - I take queues from my body on how much I can do. I am 3 months out and started a regular walking routine just 3 weeks ago. Prior to that, my body objected whenever I pushed the limit. Now I am walking 3 miles almost everyday and have no restrictions on any activities. I took my grandkids to a water park last week and kept up with them no problem and went down a few slides too! I have learned patience with this process and I think taking it easy eliminates issues like necrosis or more revisions like Pambc had
  • Katjadvm
    Katjadvm Member Posts: 117
    edited August 2017

Big sister: thank you for posting your picture. I am in limbo waiting for my surgery in October. I can't wait to have breasts again. I have two very concave areas where my breasts used to be.

• StillBlessed72
    StillBlessed72 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2017

I had my Stage 2 nipple reconstruction grafting scar revision and liposuction yesterday at 10 am. It took under 2 hours, recovery room time was 2 hours and I was home resting by 3 pm Everyone's body reacts differently to each operation. I did well with stage 1 and managed my pain. Only several hours post release and I am experiencing more pain than I anticipated given the duration and scope of this surgery. I took an initial week off from work and can take more if necessary. I have really learned to take oneday at a time throughout this process.

• Karenjoyreid
    Karenjoyreid Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017

Looking for excellent surgeons in Atlanta.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I need anyone on here who has had DIEP in Atlanta to recommend who they think is the best. So far I've been Dr. Theresa Wang and Dr. Deutsch. Liked Wang better but she is out of network. She said that shouldn't be a problem but I'm a little nervous to put my trust in that.

Thanks so much ladies!

• deni1661
    edited August 2017
    Stillblessed - thanks for the update, I appreciate the details since I'll have my revision surgery in November. I'm sorry you're having more pain with this surgery, I hope you feel better soon. You're so right about one day at a time....I need to slow things down and remember that too.

Take care
  • cdv4251992
    cdv4251992 Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2017

Last week my PS said he wasn't sure the weird spot on my reconstructed side was an infection but he would treat it as such. I've been on antibiotics since last Friday. Yesterday the blister opened and out came lots of drainage and it continued overnight. I went back to the PS today and his resident drained it , flushed it out and packed it. Sent me home with supplies to pack it twice a day and more antibiotics.

I hope I can do this packing. There's no feeling in my foob and the hole is not that large. I have to get the packing in the small hole and into the wound, which is alongside the opening. I'm worried I can't do this. Or that I won't do a good job and it will not get better, or worse, will get worse. It's also still draining.

This is so frustrating because it's been 5 months, all my incisions are fully healed. I would like a week with no dr appointments, nothing wrong.

• Falconer
    Falconer Member Posts: 801
    edited August 2017
    Cdv- so sorry to hear of your frustrations. Five months is a long time to deal with this. Sending you healing thoughts.

BigSister- thank you for the inspiring photos. Can't wait to be where you are in this process!

I'm at 9 weeks. My main difficulty is in my limited range of motion in my arm. Can anyone speak to this who has more time under her belt? My left arm (bc side) cannot fully extend over my head. I have a lot of crackling and discomfort and tightness all through the shoulder and neck area. I am working with a PT as you know. Any other recommendations?
  • cdv4251992
    cdv4251992 Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2017

Thanks, Falconer. I've been infection free since April. This infection is totally new and out of the blue.

And, no apparently I cannot do this myself. The PS had at least 5 inches of the packing tape in the wound and I can barely get 1/4" in the opening. My husband can't either. I'm going to have to call their office when they open to figure out what to do. The opening is so small and the pocket is at an angle toward my arm pit, on the underside of the foob. She made it look so easy yesterday. But of course, it's what she does.

I'm beyond frustrated this morning.

• BigSister-2015
    edited August 2017

Cdv, did the nurse use an instrument to pack the wound? Like forceps? I wonder if using a q-tip to push the packing in would help.

Next time they "show" you how,you should be doing it with them kibitzing.