Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• JMBG
    JMBG Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2017
    Options

hi Illimae, bring your patience. You'll have our prayers too.

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited June 2017
    Options

You're in my prayers Illimae. Your awesome husband will be one of your best recovery tools. Mine has been pulling up my pants, helps changing my drains and helps so much. Frustrating when you need something within arms reach but can't help yourself. I never changed out of my hospital gown until time to leave the next day. Extra pillow behind your back on the recliner might help you too. My back was so sore the first few days after surgery. It was hard to scoot back Inour big recliner. Each day gets better but drains are a drag.

• nightcrawler
    nightcrawler Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2017
    Options

I had my lumpectomy and SNB yesterday. In the recovery room, I heard the words every cancer patient longs to hear: "Clear margins - no node involvement"!!!!

Edited to add: His opening line was, "This surgery couldn't have possibly gone any better than it did." My husband said he was just as enthusiastic when he gave him the news.

The weather was awful here in Jacksonville yesterday afternoon, with severe thunderstorms. (One of the recovery room nurses was talking about how he was nearly struck by lightning in his yard.) But all of the color had returned to my world. It had turned black-and-white when I got diagnosed.

Also, I had worried about getting drains; because he didn't need to remove much tissue or a bunch of nodes, I didn't need them.

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    edited June 2017
    Options

illimae, you're in my thoughts. Hoping for a good night's sleep for you tonight!

Nightcrawler, that's awesome news... super happy for you sailing through with awesome results.

I'm going wig/hat shopping with my sister in a bit... istruggle with it being too soon (I won't likely lose hair until the end of July) but also know if I'm feeling lousy it'll be an awful shopping experience. So... get it done now and see what happens. (Depending on the wig results, I may buzz my hair after the first chemo... I go back to work just before my second treatment, and having been off for 7 weeks, the change may not be as drastic.)

• RRusso23
    RRusso23 Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2017
    Options

ourray and any other ladies who need chemo after surgery.. feel free to reach out to me as I had neoadjuvent chemo so I had 5 months of chemo before my surgery took place. As for your statement about it being your life your boobs your choice.. that's the best attitude to have! Idk if it's just me or anyone else had the same attitude towards their course of treatment options but I've never thought twice about what had to be done.. it hasn't even really gotten to me emotionally except the initial diagnosis. After that it was let's just get this shit over with so I can raise my daughter

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

RRusso, same here... bmx? Ok let's do it tomorrow. Hair going to fall out? Ok, I'll buzz it tonight.

For whatever reason, the only SE that has me a little frapped out is hearing that it can affect your nails. I have strong, beautiful, long, naturally white-tipped nails. That pisses me off. ;)

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2017
    Options

Illimae, I'm thinking about you, picturing your thumbs-up emoji in the recovery room after a successful surgery. It sounds like you have the most important things that you need. I will say that my giant insulated cup has been my best friend-since it stays cold, it encourages me to keep drinking and stay hydrated (less constpation, too!).

JenRuns, the nails thing bugs me, too. You can cover/replace a breast or hair, but you can't hide your fingers. But it hasn't happened yet, and I thought I'd be much more upset about losing a breast before it happened. Maybe ladies wearing white gloves in public will be back in style soon

• legomaster225
    edited June 2017
    Options

JenRuns, I iced my hands and feet throughout chemo, used tea tree oil on the cuticles and kept clear OPI nail envy on them the whole time. I did not have any nail issues. Hopefully, you will not have any either. My feet did peel after my last AC which was kind ofgross but my feet have never been softer. I guess that can be viewed as one positive SE of chemo 😳

• SBKH
    SBKH Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2017
    Options

Ladies - can I just tell you one more time how awesome you are?

Nightcrawler- I am thrilled for you! Wonderful news!

JenRuns - I hope you find an amazing wig that you love. Do they make a sport wig to wear when you run? I find that looking at things as "gear" always makes me feel better.

Illimae - prayers for an easy recovery and full healing.

Y'all I'm starting feel like I want to withdraw. I can't imagine having surgery and then recovering and staying calm and peaceful through. I'm uber nervous about surgery. I have medical anxiety big time. I'm scared about not feeling good and not feeling like myself for an extended period of time. So glad I can lean on this group.

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    edited June 2017
    Options

All of you ladies are amazing. We are warriors.

Had my appt with oncologist this morning..I do need chemo. The irony of all this is that I have always kept my hair short...most of my life. Grew it out one time, my senior year of high school (29 yrs ago) chopped it off after a year been short for the last 27years. Decided to grow it out again...last fall. Finally got it to a short bob length this spring. I don't know whether to laugh or cry right now. So will be right there with you chemo ladies in July and truly ready to get this show on the road!

Big HUGS to all!

• ouray17
    ouray17 Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2017
    Options

Good news for me on the path report: Right side - 3/4 sentinel nodes + for cancer, but took out 19 more to get a clear margin & all 19 were negative!! Left side - nodes all clear; right side - stage 2; left - stage 1; will need both chemo & radiation. Very excited that only 3 nodes were + & I will do what is necessary to get past this.

Husbands/caregivers - totally awesome!

Nightcrawler- Awesome News!!

Jen Runs & Runnermum - I teach high school. If I'm losing the hair, short wig here I come. Want school to be as normal as possible. The nail beds of my bff are black from the chemo, but she went & got a french tip put on anyway. I said I'd just paint mine black, cause that's what the kids do, but she said the doctors want to be able to monitor the color. Hope they don't make me take my toe polish off. I keep flowers on my big toes & that would bother me. - isn't that stupid! Loopy

Illimae - hope you are in recovery by now & on your way to the next journey.

SBKH - you can and will do this! As Runnermum said, "We are Warriors!" Hang in there!

• RRusso23
    edited June 2017
    Options

jenruns: I have been extremely lucky as far as side effects go.. my nails were fine, my hair started to grow back a month before chemo ended.. I think keeping a positive attitude has helped me through all of this.. finding out I had cancer 2 months after giving birth put a lot into perspective for me

• legomaster225
    edited June 2017
    Options

SBKH do not withdrawal. You can do this! Rely on your caregivers and we will always be here to lift you up as well!! Everyone gets nervous.Surgery is not fun but they will sedate you before anything starts (apparently I was still talking to people but don't remember a thing before they wheeled me away). Barely remember recovery and they will keep you comfortable afterwards. It is not fun but more uncomfortable and achy than painful. Each day gets better. Drains are a hassle but not painful. Focus on the outcome. You are a strong woman you can do this.

Good news on the auxiliary nodes ouray!!

RRusso my hair started growing back after about 5 taxol treatments too. Its about 3 cm long 2.5 weeks PFC. I never wore a wig, just pre-tied scarfs. I dontwear anything around the house anymore. And almost went to dinner without my scarf until my son said "wow mom, way to go out without your beanie!! ". I turned the car around to go get it. Not quite ready for public but pretty close. Hair is now salt and pepper though when it was dark blonde. Not sure what I'm going to go about that yet. Might just leave it. My eyelashes are barely coming in and my eyebrows are growing but the hair is transparent instead of brown.

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

I'll echo what's been said... you gals are awesome.

Found a wig that's very close to my real hair... the place will do a final fitting once my hair is gone. I plan to wear it mostly for work... I don't want other people to be uncomfortable. We also have a big family wedding in September, and I don't want photos to commemorate cancer Jen. (I also picked up a few hats ... that'll likely be my standard.)

Thanks for the tips about the nail prevention... I'll give it a whirl.

• RRusso23
    edited June 2017
    Options

Legomaster: my eyelashes and brows were the last to fall out but they're both coming in more each day now. I've always had dark hair but mine has come on with white too. I even had a few white eyelashes! One fell out and I could see the color on it had changed back to black so don't be freaked out if any come on white!

• RRusso23
    edited June 2017
    Options

any recommendations for post mastectomy bras? The one from the hospital is so irritating I can't stand it anymore. I put on an old nursing bra I have and it's doing an okay job, but I'd like some other options

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

RRusso, my plastics guy recommended the Fruit of the Loom cotton front closure bra... I found them at Walmart (and fit right in wearing my jammies). I'll try to include a link at the bottom. The best part is they're under $10, so as my expanders get filled, I'll grab new ones. Downside is the gathering in the front can show through some T-shirts, but I don't want to I invest in seamless bras until my expanders are full.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the-Loom-Comfort-front-close-bra-Style-96014/17325440?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227014441220&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40883379872&wl4=aud-310687322322:pla-78814343072&wl5=9016967&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=17325440&wl13=&veh=sem

• RRusso23
    edited June 2017
    Options

jenruns thanks! I bought a very similar one off amazon and it came today and it's tight under the arm I had the surgery on. And I spent way more on it then that one in the link. I don't know why I didn't think of Walmart! I'll have to go loo

• susanga
    susanga Member Posts: 66
    edited June 2017
    Options

Illimae I hope things went well for you today. Many prayers.

I met with my oncologist today. I like him so much. I feel as though I landed in good hands. He is doing lots of tests including an Oncotype. I return in three weeks when he has results to discuss treatment plan.

• Rlsteadman
    Rlsteadman Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2017
    Options

I got my pathology back today. Very happy there was no cancer in lymph nodes. There was 5 cm of high grade DCIS. They are suspicious there was micro invasions but didn't see it in the staining. DIEP Flap Reconstruction is doing good. Not much pain and draining is decreasing. I will see the plastic surgeon tomorrow and oncologist in a few weeks. I feel excited that things are going so well. Thanks for all the support

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited June 2017
    Options

rrusso, i wore a thick ace wrap around bandage. It has Velcro at both ends. I found that so much more comfortable than a bra. After my first mastectomy back in August that's what I wore for the first 2 months. Loved it.

• legomaster225
    edited June 2017
    Options

Good news Rlsteadman!

Glad you like your MO Susan.

Illimae ~ Hope everything went well today.

I cleaned out a desk today with my moms help. I just sat there and we shredded old bills and sorted papers. I'm so tired of sitting and watching TV or playing on my phone. It was too much movement with the tubes, gauze and the wrinkled Saran Wrap under my armpit. It feels irritated and raw on the underside of my arm from the rubbing. Didn't even think about it earlier. It was not strenuous work😒 I'm taking a pain pill in an hour or so and heading to bed.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    edited June 2017
    Options

In my room, so sleepy but all good.

• legomaster225
    edited June 2017
    Options

Glad you're done Illimae! Good thoughts for aquick recovery headed your way! Sleep away....

• Daphne77
    Daphne77 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hello to all of you wonderful women. Everytime I read your posts I am impressed, not only by your strength, but also by you being able to admit some weakness and fears on the way, such an important healing point in my opinion!

A big thank you for the warm welcoming and your kind wishes!

SBKH, as for looking at the boobs, while not that often as you :-), I also looked at them a lot! I also said goodbye to my left breast before surgery and shed some tears while thanking it for the many years of service and for feeding my two babies that good! I know it sounds weird, but that's what I did, what can I say!

Leatherette, please tell me more about the cornstarch (edited) after shaving! What is that about? I havent' shaved for a week due to sensitivity and pain when touching my armpit and I am kind of embaressed to go to the doc tomorrow- stupid, I know!

Illimae I wish you a fast recovery!!!

As for preparetions, on top of the botton up soft pyjamas I would recommend getting them one or more numbers bigger than usual so they will not be tight on the armpit area. I had a couple of pyjamas and tops I couldn't wear because they were so thight there (never noticed that before!)

As for me, in about a month I'll be turning 40 and my children are only 5 and 7 years young. They are staying with my parents for the time being as I didn't want to scare them with my drains and I didn't tell them too much about the surgery. I am beginning to miss them more and more, and knowing that I will not being able to hold them as tight as I used to for some time is so frustrating! Hopefully I will get my drains out tomorrow so I will be able to join them right after that (they think they are on summer vacations at the beach as every year)!!! As time goes by I am getting really anxious about the pathology report that is due today or tomorrow... Recovery is good, but the drains don't really help with that. I also get some burning and itching sensations in my removed breast area, but it's not something that you can't bare, just very very annoying...

I am sending to all of you hugs, positive energy and keeping you in my prayers!

Daphne

P.S. Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my native language!

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

illimae, so glad to see your smiling bitmoji :) sleep away....

daphne77: love the beach vacation idea for the kids. Mine are older (13 & 16) but I was really careful to make sure they didn't see my incisions or drains. Hang in there on the pathology wait... I swear, that's the hardest part (waiting)

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2017
    Options

Great to see you, Illimae! Be well.

Daphne, it was corn starch, not cornflour (that might hurt!). It is supersoft and absorbs moisture, without irritating chemicals like deodorant. That did not work for long, though, and yesterday I just had to tape a gauze pad in my armpit to keep the sides from rubbing!

I found a bra that worked for me, at Whole foods of all places. The company is Pact, and I got the racerback lounge bra. Extra large-and my ribcage is 36 inches. I doubt people who have had double mastectomies would be able to get into it. It's not easy with umx, but it feels great once it's on. I made a flax seed foob that I can put in the other side if I put a surgical pad over my incision, but it's really there to support righty. I was able to tape rolled up cotton pads on either side of my drain tube so the band doesn't cut off the flow

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    edited June 2017
    Options

rrusso- have you tried a genie bra

• RRusso23
    edited June 2017
    Options

lula no I wanted something with a front closure first because I couldn't lift my arms up to high to get those other bras on. But now the drain is out and I'm moving better I'll try that one ou

• ouray17
    ouray17 Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2017
    Options

SBKH - DO NOT BACK OUT!!! Ask your doctor for something for the anxiety & tell the anesthesiologist to give you an early "margarita" so you will be relaxed. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

IIlimae - you are so tough. Sleep well!

RRusso23 - can't imagine being diagnosed 2 months after giving birth. You are very courageous. All of you with kids - having cancer & taking care of your children is very stressful. Thank you all for being mindful of the impact on them. What children see and hear has a big impact and it is scary for them.

Couple of questions: I had the bmx with tissue expanders and now need chemo and radiation. Which comes first or can you do it together? Also, has anyone been told that you can't have implants with radiation? Those of you that did the flaps, what was it like? Also, how long have you had the drains. Started with 5 - 2 taken out last week, but 2 of the 3 remaining are still putting out 80 -100 ml daily. Surgery was the 13th & I was hoping to get them all out this Friday, but thinking that may not happen. :{

Jen Runs - By September, no doubt you will be awesome in the pictures. Great goal to work for!! Makes me excited to get back to my life before this stuff.

Everyone is awesome! Feel as if we are a relay team - someone is handing off the baton from diagnosis to surgery to reconstruction to pathology to treatment to life issues to cancer issues. It's is amazing being part of this group!