Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• susanga
    susanga Member Posts: 66
    edited June 2017
    Options

JMBG what good news. I know the relief you feel about the pathology report.I too have a very sore underarm area. In fact my pain is increasing daily. I was warned that as the nerves come back awake you feel more. It is however still manageable. I apologize to Myn as my predictive text and/or fat fingers seem to sabotage everything I type. So Myn became Munich.

My hope and prayers for continued healing for all

• SBKH
    SBKH Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi ladies - Prayers for rlsteadman and legomaster today!

Wonderful news on the path report and scar healing, Susan - woo hoo! I'm so relieved for you. I'm sorry to hear about the nerve pain and the cording, though. I'm sure you're ready to feel like yourself again.

For everyone else, I am amazed daily at the strength and positivity of this group. Today I'm really leaning on that. I've had a few just super sad days this week - feeling sorry myself because the timing of this is so awful. And I know there's never good timing, right? I really do not like feeling sorry for myself so hoping this phase goes quickly and I'm back to optimism soon.

• nightcrawler
    nightcrawler Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2017
    Options

I saw my surgeon for my pre-op appointment this morning; my lumpectomy and SNB is on Monday. He's 90% certain of being able to get clear margins, and 80% certain that there's no node involvement. He said that the only thing that concerns him about the margins is that the tumor is close to the nipple, only 3 cm away at 3 o'clock.

I go in for pre-op blood work and electrocardiogram (I have a heart murmur) at the hospital tomorrow.

I'm feeling confident, but not. Ever since my diagnosis, my world has been stripped of color. =(

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    edited June 2017
    Options

well, got my chemo plan today... 20 weeks of chemo. Knew it was coming, but it's still a shock to realize that the next five months are pretty much committed....

It'll be eight weeks of adriamycin and cytoxine every other week (A/C) followed by taxol every week for 12 weeks. Hair loss is a given, so I'll be wig shopping ;)

Assuming this little spot on my incision that popped open heals, and I can get the port placed in a timely manner, the chemo starts July 12. I'll go back to work the 24th and try to work as close to a regular schedule as I can (I'm a department director for the health care system). *fingers crossed*

Hope everyone's safely out of surgery and on good pain meds... hang in there ladies...

• IGL
    IGL Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi nightcrawler, I am praying for clear margins for you, a good path report, and peace. The color will return to your world, it just takes a while.

SBKH, keep your chin up. I hope your spirits improve soon. You would be superhuman if you could remain optimistic all of the time

• JMBG
    JMBG Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2017
    Options

to nightcrawler, stay confident and positive, we are all with you. I needed cardiac clearance too, just one more test beforehand. Even though I had a mastectomy, my soreness comes from the lymph node removal. The surgery will be over before you know it. Don't let all of this strip your color! If you read these messages, you will see we all have a wide variety of emotions and they are all normal. I've described myself as being like a toddler, crying one minute and happy the next. We will pray for healing for you!

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    edited June 2017
    Options

nightcrawler...will be thinking of you Monday and will will say a prayer for clear margins and no nodes.

Jen..been thinking of you...it's been a lot/to handle this week! My sister in law last night reminded me of how much us runners can handle...we r strong and you will come out on the other side of this stronger. Someone told me a few wks ago..."it's a marathon, not a sprint" I have ran 1 full marathon, usually half's. But I think back to the full I ran..it was painful and I probably hadn't trained properly and I wanted to quit so many times that day, but I didn't and finished. And later thinking back on it, the pain became a distant memory and I am so much stronger as a person because I ran that marathon that day and did the training. That's true for all of us ladies here.

Susan..I saw you typed munich, went back and couldn't find anyone with that name but assumed i missed something included "Munich" in my post too! LOL!

Well tomorrow is another surgery...but it's going to be a good day!

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

thanks so much, Runnermum.... I needed that. I run half marathons. I'm slow as heck, but I do them because I love them. They're hard, and they're all about grit and endurance. xox

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    edited June 2017
    Options

Yes half marathons are my favorite race/distance, but I always get to the 10 mile mark and wish I had signed up for the 10k. LOL! But always do it all over again as soon as I am done. You are strong...we have got this.

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited June 2017
    Options

Update... surgery went well. So far everything went according to plan. Skin sparing, nipple sparing, immediate above the muscle implant and neoadjuvent chemo worked. Took four Sentinel nodes and they were clear. Painmeds work. I am very sore and was some pain but the nurse is staying on top of it. My mistake telling the nurse I was ok. I'll update more tomorrow

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

so glad to hear, legomaster....

• IGL
    edited June 2017
    Options

Great news Legomaster, I am so happy for you

• tara17
    tara17 Member Posts: 150
    edited June 2017
    Options

ladies, I am so inspired by all of you ! Your courage in facing these tough choices, choosing empowerment , is inspiring . Arent our chests flat or reconstructed, gained through our sweat , toil, angst and tears and our determination to heal truly representative of our inner transendental beauty ? We are anamazing group and i send a group hug to all of you

I wanted to make you all smile --i found this on another forum and it made me laugh ,so i am sharing . Hope it makes you smile too

I'd give credit, but that person found it on Facebook. This describes it to a tee.

What's it like to go through cancer treatment? It's something like this: one day, you're minding your own business, you open the fridge to get some breakfast, and OH MY GOD THERE'S A MOUNTAIN LION IN YOUR FRIDGE.

Wait, what? How? Why is there a mountain lion in your fridge? NO TIME TO EXPLAIN. RUN! THE MOUNTAIN LION WILL KILL YOU! UNLESS YOU FIND SOMETHING EVEN MORE FEROCIOUS TO KILL IT FIRST!

So you take off running, and the mountain lion is right behind you. You know the only thing that can kill a mountain lion is a bear, and the only bear is on top of the mountain, so you better find that bear. You start running up the mountain in hopes of finding the bear. Your friends desperately want to help, but they are powerless against mountain lions, as mountain lions are godless killing machines. But they really want to help, so they're cheering you on and bringing you paper cups of water and orange slices as you run up the mountain and yelling at the mountain lion - "GET LOST, MOUNTAIN LION, NO ONE LIKES YOU" - and you really appreciate the support, but the mountain lion is still coming.

Also, for some reason, there's someone in the crowd who's yelling "that's not really a mountain lion, it's a puma" and another person yelling "I read that mountain lions are allergic to kale, have you tried rubbing kale on it?"

As you're running up the mountain, you see other people fleeing their own mountain lions. Some of the mountain lions seem comparatively wimpy - they're half grown and only have three legs or whatever, and you think to yourself - why couldn't I have gotten one of those mountain lions? But then you look over at the people who are fleeing mountain lions the size of a monster truck with huge prehistoric saber fangs, and you feel like an asshole for even thinking that - and besides, who in their right mind would want to fight a mountain lion, even a three-legged one?

Finally, the person closest to you, whose job it is to take care of you - maybe a parent or sibling or best friend or, in my case, my husband - comes barging out of the woods and jumps on the mountain lion, whaling on it and screaming "GODDAMMIT MOUNTAIN LION, STOP TRYING TO EAT MY WIFE," and the mountain lion punches your husband right in the face. Now your husband (or whatever) is rolling around on the ground clutching his nose, and he's bought you some time, but you still need to get to the top of the mountain.

Eventually you reach the top, finally, and the bear is there. Waiting. For both of you. You rush right up to the bear, and the bear rushes the mountain lion, but the bear has to go through you to get to the mountain lion, and in doing so, the bear TOTALLY KICKS YOUR ASS, but not before it also punches your husband in the face. And your husband is now staggering around with a black eye and bloody nose, and saying "can I get some help, I've been punched in the face by two apex predators and I think my nose is broken," and all you can say is "I'M KIND OF BUSY IN CASE YOU HADN'T NOTICED I'M FIGHTING A MOUNTAIN LION."

Then, IF YOU ARE LUCKY, the bear leaps on the mountain lion and they are locked in epic battle until finally the two of them roll off a cliff edge together, and the mountain lion is dead. Maybe. You're not sure - it fell off the cliff, but mountain lions are crafty. It could come back at any moment.

And all your friends come running up to you and say "that was amazing! You're so brave, we're so proud of you! You didn't die! That must be a huge relief!" Meanwhile, you blew out both your knees, you're having an asthma attack, you twisted your ankle, and also you have been mauled by a bear. And everyone says "boy, you must be excited to walk down the mountain!" And all you can think as you stagger to your feet is "fuck this mountain, I never wanted to climb it in the first place."

— Caitlin Feeley - the one, the only, the magnificent.

• JMBG
    JMBG Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2017
    Options

Tara17, I love your post! It's absolutely perfect! And yes, we are an amazing group!

• SBKH
    edited June 2017
    Options

Tara - that was totally hysterical and awesome and everything. Love this: And everyone says "boy, you must be excited to walk down the mountain!" And all you can think as you stagger to your feet is "fuck this mountain, I never wanted to climb it in the first place."

I used to do adventure racing (I've done a lot of sports and I can't wait to get back to them) and you end up bloodied, lost, bruised, exhausted, but at least it's on purpose. It would've been nice to have had a choice in this one.

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited June 2017
    Options

So got my pathology today - BS called it "complex" but not bad news. I do have to go in to get clean margins on 7/3. Not what I wanted to hear, but I wasn't surprised. Instead of just 2 tumors, there were three - lucky me. So my2 sentinel nodes were cancer free - yes! - but a lymph node within my actual breast had a pinprick size of cancer, which he removed. He didn't seem to consider this bad news, but did say it may make the oncologist suggest chemo. I 'm really hoping not and plan to do some research before we meet. Can it never be simple? Im staged at 1b

• Elfmcg
    Elfmcg Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2017
    Options

hi everyone, I'm newly diagnosed with Idc, I'm in for lumpectomy and snb on Monday 26th. I already know I need chemo and radiotherapy as I'm her2+ and hormone negative.

I just wanted to know was anyone else absolutely freaked out and fixating on node involvement and distant mets before their surgery? My bs says as far as he is concerned it's early stage and nodes looked good on us, but I am freaking out. All this waiting, too much time to read up on everything and I'm so worried it willget worse. Is this a normal feeling, or am i mental?

I keep seeing all these women who were diagnosed as stage 4 at diagnosis and had no symptoms. Is that usual?

Thanks

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

Tara, that was awesome. Thank you for sharing!!!

VL22 - sorry to hear you didn't get the news you were hoping for. Research is good... though I found that the NCCN guidelines are pretty clear recommendations for treatment, and I trusted the oncologist's plan.

Elfmcg- if you're mental, you're in good company. Waiting sucks. I turned to mindfulness (using the Headspace app) to calm the "monkey chatter" in my brain. It really helped me get a grip. Hang in there.

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hello all,

Thanks for the well-wishes-for me and everyone else who recently had surgery. I wish I could be as cognizant of who is doing what when as some others are, but I am thinking about all of you, wherever you are in the process, appreciating your bravery, humor and willingness to share.

My umx was on Monday, was discharged Tuesday, and was able to attend a reconstruction support group Tuesday night with the help of my sister. It was super helpful, and I hope they exist elsewhere. A group of about 15 women were there, told their reconstruction (or no reconstruction) stories, and showed the group their results. I was even offered a feel by a woman who had diep flap, like I plan to get. I got props for being there 1 day post mx (I wasn't trying to be brave - if I didn't go that night, I'd have to wait another month-they meet once a month), but I did start to feel a little woozy at the end, so did not stay to chat. Anyway, that group and having my sister here made it so much better.

I had bad side effects from oxycodone (itching all night, all over), so just took ibuprofen. I haven't even taken any today and feel no pain. I never had much pain, but did try the painkillers prophylactically.

My mx was skin sparing, and I have to say, the results are hard to look at (puckering, dimpling, visible hair follicles-due to slackness?). I was expecting it, though. The first two days, I only looked at the surgical site, to make sure there weren't problems. When I looked at it next to my remaining breast, it was definitely stark, sad, etc., but I was okay. I am waiting for my coobie bras to arrive, because I'd like to go out more. My remaining breast is a 36DD, and still needs support! There's some chafing as well. Wish I'd thought to get the coobies earlier, but I thought Id just wear my normal bras (underwire!) with padding on the mx side, and even my sports bras are too heavy duty to be gentle to my tender side. Live and learn.

So anyways, for those who have not had their mx yet, an example with not a lot of pain, the drain is not a problem, and surviving "the reveal". Could not be getting through this without my family andthe thoughtful and generous members of BCO.

Next up: Dependent on pathology results- expanders will be placed on July 5, then scheduling diep flap. I am supposed to find out pathology results today or Monday. Feeling hopeful/cautiously optimistic.

L

• SBKH
    edited June 2017
    Options

Leatherette - What's a coobie? Sounds like a good think - I tried the ana ono bras - but they totally didn't fit. Too big in the cups and too tight in the band. I'm going to be a uni too and would love options. Coobie sounds adorable.

Welcome elfmcg, I read those same stories about no symptoms etc. I'm honestly too overwhelmed to be any more worried. But I did go through that worried phase. That said, worrying won't add any days to our lives - and it sounds like your doctor has a good handle on things. I would just rest in that. I like how JenRuns calls it "monkey chatter". Going to check out the Headspace app now...

• Leatherette
    edited June 2017
    Options

Coobies are seamless bras, some with removable pads (and you can put both pads in one side

shopcoobie.com. Bear in mind that I haven't received them yet. I'll review them after I try them.

• mucki1991
    mucki1991 Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi ladies, thinking of all you. Met with PS today and was told nipple sparring on the healthy breast was not a good choice for me due to my size. So that was crappy but he did a good job of reassuring me. I was a nervous mess today! Going to that appt just brings the reality of this to forefront again just as I got to pretend things were "normal". I'm sorry for those whose pathology and node status was not the best of news. I figure I got a 50/50 chance on having clear nodes but I'm hopeful. Thank you all for sharing your stories

• Rlsteadman
    Rlsteadman Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2017
    Options

just a short note since I'm still groggy. UMX went fine. Nipple removed. Followed by immediate DIE Flap. Abdominal scar hurts the most but is managed well by 1 Percocet every 6 hours. They did find micro menus and had to do a Tull lumpectomy sine the node patch was disrupted last sentinel node when I had my lumpectomy in 2013.pathology wine back Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for the prayers

• IGL
    edited June 2017
    Options

tara17 you are awesome! Thanks for sharing that post, the writer nailed it

• Leatherette
    edited June 2017
    Options

Agreed, Tara17's post was awesome. I just got my pathology results back, and the good news is that the known cancer was removed with clear margins, and the two sentinel nodes were negative. However, it is not only DCIS, but also a pretty aggressive IDC. So, no new boob for me for a while, and likely 6 months of chemo

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,595
    edited June 2017
    Options

Leatherette, I just finished chemo, it's no fun but totally doable. I've read that staying active reduces fatigue, it certainly worked for me and being bald isn't so bad, people are super nice and sometimes you get free stuff :) I made myself a kickass bald bitmoji

• Candyapple17
    Candyapple17 Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2017
    Options

KimE I see you are in San Diego and I am as well. Did you have your procedure at Sharp? My surgeon is saying surgery will be outpatient but then they'll get me a room which sounds scary to me. Can they really do this stuff outpatient

• Leatherette
    edited June 2017
    Options

Illimae, That is a great emoji! Thanks for the encouragement regarding chemo. I will try to be as active as possible. As far as I know at this point, I don't think hair loss will bother me that much-it's the nausea that I fear. I'll get hooked up with an oncologist next week and know better what to expect.

Thanks again,

• Daphne77
    Daphne77 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi everyone! It' my first post on this forum and I just wanted to let you know how much it has helped me the past few months. I was able to find support and help from so many of you without you even knowing it! So a big thank you to all you amazing women!!!

As for me, I just had my mastectomy done (left) on Wednesday, after a dcis (multifocal) diagnosis. I had also a few lymph nodes removed, which seem to be clear as for now (final results to be in on Thursday). Also, I didn't have reconstruction for now, but I do keep this door open for the future, although I don't want to even think about more surgery at this point.

So I am now at home, walking around with my drains and counting the days until I'll get the biopsy results. The surgery went fine, I did have and continue to have some pain and discomfort on the chest and armpit area, but furtunately nothing that can't be handled.

Best wishes to anyone that has undergone or is scheduled to undergo treatment! May it all be a distant memory soon!

• Toughiebird
    Toughiebird Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2017
    Options

i would like to join this thread because i am learning so much and need the support and experiences. I had surgical biopsy, lumpectomy on 5/16 to determine "borderline" in office path report from ultrasound suspicious area. 5/23 results said one tiny spot non invasive, but high grade 3, DCIS - size, 3mm, clear margins ( and during biopsy - surgeon performed essentially lumpectomy). Since 5/23 Ive been on a rampage of consultations, seeking knowledge and research because no one will "tell" me what to do treatment wise - between radiation, tamoxifene ( was ER/PR - on this incident so would only help prevent future and that's an unknown). Curve ball... i am chek2 positive from blood test/genetic counseling I did 6 months ago - and some direct family history of breast cancer. its been 5-6 weeks since removal of the DCIS area and surrounding tissue ( dysplasia, atypical cells) diagnoses. My left breast formed hematoma so still healing. I have decided on prophylactic bilateral mastectomy - I am so scared but can not imagine any alternative to mess with a reoccurrance, new or unknown chek2 mutation.Ive been surprised how drs have made me decide but anyway...anyone know how long time wise until I need the pbxm surgery - i heard i should do it by end summer ( that will be 2-3 months since diagnoses). i am really scared of process and reconstruction but would love encouragement. I am also grateful found early and i live in city area where there are lots of 2, 3 opinions and choices. Is recovery difficult in an apt with a husband and teenage daughter and dog? I am active and ddont know how long recovery and getting back on my feet and exercising will be? I will not write so much next time... just getting it all out...im terrible with drains and mechanics and aftercare - thinking about a nurse coming in to help maybe?

grateful for any opinions. Thank you