Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• SBKH
    SBKH Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2017
    Options

Anyone else find themselves looking at their boobs non stop before surgery? Every time I go by a mirror, I flash myself. Anyone else? No? Just me then? Happy

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    edited June 2017
    Options

LOL I considered taking pictures :) I actually really disliked my boobs -- saggy, huge (DD+), ginormous nipples that always popped through shirts... I said tata with a smile.

We had a bra burning up at our cottage... see ya...

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2017
    Options

Yes, me, SBKH! I also check my remaining one out at times.

Can I tell you all the worst post-mastectomy side effect for me? Sharp armpit stubble! On my MX side, where my arm has been at my side more, the poking, chafing and stinging....ow. I finally was able to get a razor up there with a Venus ultra comfort blade (big gel lumps on each side of the blades)then I threw some cornstarch on it. Sweet relief! Of course, post surgery days have been 20degrees hotter than usual.

Of all the things.....I guess I better get used to the unexpected!

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

leatherette: Yes!! I still can't get up into my left armpit... told my husband he's going to have to take the electric razor to it for me tonight. Grr.

My most "unexpected" side effect from surgery has been how painful it is to sneeze... oh man....

• RRusso23
    RRusso23 Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2017
    Options

jenruns: me too! I've been so afraid of sneezing! As for armpit hair.. mine just started to grow back after chemotherapy so I've only shaved my armpits once in like the last 7 months..

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,594
    edited June 2017
    Options

Lol sbkh and jenruns :)

I'll be taking my before picture tomorrow. I joke with friends that I'll be going tube top shopping soon. A reduction and lift will immediately follow my lumpectomy but I am a little concerned about them taking too much. I'm a big girl with DD's, I'll look odd as an A or B, however, it would be cool to be able to wear a strapless bra, we shall see.

• susanga
    susanga Member Posts: 66
    edited June 2017
    Options

I so thought of taking pictures but didn't at the last minute. I walked around holding it. I'm also checking my scar out as if it is going to change overnight. You really can't help but be obsessed with all this.

Oh man the chafing and stinging. In my armpit. You are right leatherette I put cornstarch there today and it helped.a little.

I'm am now knitting a knocker. I usually take myknitting with me to doctor offices and such. In the past it has always been baby hats that we knit for charity. Someone always asked what I was making. I'm trying to think of a response for the knocker. Hmmmm

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited June 2017
    Options

I did take pictures before and even a few since surgery. I'm only 3 days post surgery so still have lots of drains a wound vacs attached. My breasts look relatively the same although I'm bound In Saran Wrap so maybe that will change a bit. I think it's totally normal to look. It's a life changing event. Anyone looking at my phone is going to get an eyeful though.

Agree that sneezing is not fun, nor is coughing or laughing.

• SBKH
    SBKH Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2017
    Options

So now I MUST burn my bras. Awesome idea.

Man, y'all are scaring me with the chafing and stinging in the pit. What causes that? The incision? Could I use tegaderm instead of corn starch? And oh my goodness- why does sneezing hurt

• mucki1991
    mucki1991 Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2017
    Options

I'm a mess although being petite with boobs this big has been challenging at times I love my boobs and I HATE that I'm loosing them. I keep trying to tell myself things like "at least I'll be able to buy bras and swimsuits at regular stores" yeah not helping. I just got access to the picture forum and it's tough. I'm sure I'll adjust and maybe all this seems vain although I never considered myself a vain person but they are a part of me and this is just bull$hit. I have the other concerns about health also but today I'm trying to prepare my brain for my future loss.

Rant over 8-) thanks for reading

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

SBKH: I think it's the TEs and the muscle/rib discomfort that causes the pain when sneezing. Everything is just so "tight" feeling. And the chafing... for me, it's because these awful post-mastectomy bras ride so high in the armpit.

Mucki: *hug* rant away. Sorry. Being able to buy a pretty bra at Victoria's Secret was a happy thought for me :)

• legomaster225
    edited June 2017
    Options

Rant away Mucki1991! That's what we're here for. I'm pretty tiny too but my boobs were very very small. Regardless of size it's who we are and what we are used to. Yes, it is bull***. I had several people ask if I was getting bigger implants. That was weird. I lived my whole life like this, I'm happily married and 51 years old. My choice of was to reconstruct to the same size, others make different choices for themselves and that's fine too.Do what works for you.

• mucki1991
    mucki1991 Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2017
    Options

thanks for the support ladies I'm just having a moment and your words make a diff

• IGL
    IGL Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2017
    Options

Mucki1991, it is not vain to grieve the loss of your breasts. Keep ranting, it helps to get your feelings out. I am praying for peace for you.

• JMBG
    JMBG Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think we are are all doing "normal things" given the situation we are in. Whether it's looking or not looking at ourselves, burniing bras, or just sitting in front of the tv with the icecream carton in our lap and daring anyone to say a word! This is our new normal! It's ok! My first outing last week was to walmart (5days post op) and half way through I just wanted to go home to the recliner and I cried the whole way home. I'll blame that on just being inside a Walmart. Today I went to publix, I didn't cry, but needed a nap when we got home. Also last week, I called a company who charged me a late fee on a bill that was one day late, now granted I called the company just 1 day after being home, but when the guy tried to explain the process and offered to reduce the fee by a few dollars, I lost it and being barely coherent between the sobbing, I told him all about having breast cancer and just having surgery. Poor guy couldn't get off the phone fast enough and credited the entire amount. It makes for a good story !! I say that was a normal reaction!
    To all the ladies going in for surgery this week, good luck and let the journey begin. We are praying for you and will be here to listen to your stories afterwards! My only tip: Invest in some comfy button up pajamas, I found some on the Soma clearance and they are so soft against my skin especially under my arm where it's extremely sensitive!
    As women, we tend to be the hub of the family unit, I find it hard to ask for help but at this point in our lives, it's a necessity and we just need to let go and let others do for us. We can be powerful and strong in many other ways, like slaying our mountain lion. I love that analogy!
    Love y'all!

• Leatherette
    edited June 2017
    Options

SusanGA - "I walked around holding it." HugUntil I read that, I hadn't realized that I was doing that last week, too. I also took pics with my phone, but deleted them right away. This does suck. But, what can we do? Thanks for sharing, everyone.

I went out to a (casual) restaurant for dinner with (obviously) one breast tonight, and a drain in my little purse,because I was hungry! I'm pretty sure no one cared, and it was good.

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    edited June 2017
    Options

Wish I could reply to all but just not feeling up to it. Will say I am thinking of all of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers and thanks for the giggles the past weeks. In some ways this still just seems like a bad dream I have not woken from. Hard to believe it's my reality. My re-excision went well on Friday, and now we wait for results. I am dealing with some terrible anxiety and have an appt with hospital psychologist this week. The waiting is so hard and doesn't help that I am not able to run or work out...those things are what help me with stress. Also am having quite a bit more pain this time so didn't do much this weekend. A few friends visited and brought meals and I made it to all 3 of my son's baseball tournaments games...mama wasn't missing those! I suppose 2 surgeries on the same are in 10 days will most likely result in some added pain. The sentinel biopsy excision from 1st surgery continues to bother me and I can't do the exercises but at least the numbness is better.

JenRuns..loved the pic of the burning bra!! Made my day!

Have my appt with MO tomorrow and BS on Thursday. Praying this week is better news then last. Sending hugs to all of us!

• cbsdetour
    cbsdetour Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2017
    Options

I had my BMX with TE last Friday and just wanted to check in. The SNB injections I did not think we're painful at all. The 5 th one stung for just a second but the other 4 didn`t bother me at all. In pre-op they gave me something to relax me and that is the last thing I remember until waking up. The BS believes the lymph nodes are clear so was very happy to hear that. Got to my room about 5 and they tried to get me to eat dinner but I felt very nauseas. They applied a patch before surgery and gave me some medicine afterwords but it really surprised me because usually I have an iron stomach. I was finally able to eat a little something around 11:30. They did not take the catheter out until the next morning. Came home Saturday morning. I do bruise easily but the bruising looks awful. The bruising and the swelling are the worst. I can do more than I thought I'd be able to and I am more uncomfortable than in pain. The BS is a big fan of Motrin so I have been taking that along with an antibotic. My goal today is to poop and shower. The drains are the worst but knew that going in. Hoping each day brings more healing. Hugs

• Leatherette
    edited June 2017
    Options

CBsDetour, congrats on jumping one hurdle. Glad to hear the lymph nodes are clear and you aren't experiencing much pain

• RRusso23
    RRusso23 Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2017
    Options

just left the doctors office and the drain came out! Also no residual cancer left in my breast tissue! So mastectomy ended up being more a preventive measure but I'm okay with that. Just waiting for the hole from the drain to heal before expansion starts.

Hope everyone is doing good today and those waiting on news get the positive news we all deserve to hear

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

congrats on the drain removal, RRusso! It's a liberating thing :)

Runnermum & CBsDetour, glad to see you're both recovering :)

Just finished fill fill #2 ... part of me regrets getting expanders (is being flat really that big of a deal?) and part of me says suck it up. The tightness is just irritating.

Also had an appointment with a naturopath at the hospital (saw him pre-op too). I'm on a good regimen of supplements to aid in healing and immunity, and got a list of suggestions for symptom management if needed. Highly recommended if anyone has access ... my insurance covers it, and he's employed by the hospital. Everything he recommends is evidence-based, which is a must for me, and my oncologist fully supports what he recommends.

• legomaster225
    edited June 2017
    Options

Glad to hear recovery is moving along CBsderour, Runnermum. RRusso I can imagine that getting the last drain out is pure heaven! I can't wait for my appt on Friday. Drains are uncomfortable and such a hassle. At least they are not painful .

Prayers to all going through surgery this week🙏🏻!!

We are going to get through this

• Kimhf
    Kimhf Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi: I had a routine mammogram in May. I was called back for microcalcifications. The radiologist said I could just watch them for six months, as they're no big deal. Or, she said, if I wanted I could have a biopsy but not necessary. Yes, biopsy, I said. I got a call from my OBGYN that it was breast cancer and I had two major panic attacks. My surgery was June 16. I had a lumpectomy and will have radiation. It was hell waiting for the pathology results. Making people wait for medical test results is some kind of horrifying thing that someone made up. Everything came back clear - clear lymph nodes, clear margins, 1/2 inch area was removed. It couldn't be better news but I'm still stressing, worrying that it will come back, just worrying, worrying, worrying. My husband died five years ago from ALS. We all went through a nightmare. My kids and I are not over that one. And now I have to tell my kids I have breast cancer? They're in their 20s but very immature for their ages. It's a double whammy and doesn't feel very fair at all. I'm worrying so much because I can't imagine my kids being without any parents at all. Needless to say, I'm looking for a therapist right now!

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

hi Kimhf... seeing a therapist sound s like a fantastic idea. So sorry to hear about the added anxiety with the loss of your husband weighing on you all. *hugs

• susanga
    edited June 2017
    Options

Ranting,crying,grieving and panicking....I don't think it is completely normal not to experience those feelings. We need to give ourselves a lot of credit. We are really strong, caring and amazing women. When I read about your hills (no pun intended) and valleys I get strength from each of you.

I am so glad to hear that CBsDetours nodes look good. RRUsso23 glad those drains are out. Jen Runs I hope my MO is okay with supplements. I take a few. I think it can be the best of both worlds.Runnermum, you are amazing to make it to the baseball tournament. Your sonwill always remember that. KImhf you have had to deal with a lot. Therapy always helps and we are here as well.

Continued prayers for all of you.

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    edited June 2017
    Options

Many many hugs Klmhf...you are dealing with a lot. My best friend lost a child 5 yrs ago and then her husband was diagnosed with cancer 1 yr ago. I look at her so often and can't believe what they have had to go thru. Life can feel horribly unfair sometimes. I am praying for you as I include all the fighters and warriors on BCO in my daily prayers.

SusanGA yes you are so right...my minister told me last week, this process would be similar to the grieving process, ups and downs, anger and sadness, etc etc. And a good friend told me last week I shouldn't be doing this alone and she is right. None of us should. I am happy I finally reached out to both my minister and the psychologist at my cancer center last week. I tried to be so strong the past 2 months. It has felt like 1 step forward, 3 steps back thru out the whole process and I still don't know my treatment for sure. I just can't be strong right now. I have a very strong hubby, supportive family and a strong group of women friends who are by my side and promised me they won't be going anywhere for a very long time. I have had meals, cards, prayers, flowers, coffee dates, supper dates, calls, texts, visits and yet many days I still feel so alone. Now of us should feel like we have to do this alone. I feel guilt of what this is doing to our kids. It's a horrible ugly mess of emotions.

• ouray17
    ouray17 Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2017
    Options

Lots & lots of very important implications being discussed.

Rrusso23, Hopfull 2 and any others with young children. Kids may be the hardest part. They don't understand when they are small & you are helpless to comfort & explain. This has definitely affected our kids & grandkids. But we have pulled together & I am very fortunate to have the family support.

SBKH, Jen Runs Russo - Decisions, decisions, decisions. This journey seems to be the first experiance that there are not direct answers. And everyone seems to have an opinion. I've heard chop 'em off & get 'em gone (yeah right - go chop off an arm or leg) Others have said you have to do whatever possible to save the boobs (cancer in both of mine - don't think so). I was lucky in that having cancer in both made a bmx an easy decision, but now that i'm having chemo & maybe radiation, I'm second guessing the tissue expanders. Again, a couple of family members have hinted that I should have been satisfied with no reconstruction & if I had, then this would be a no brainer. Finally, I've drawn a line in the sand...this is my life, those were my boobs, my decision, my consequences & from now on, I refuse to second guess myself. If I do, it will cause lots of stress & with chemo coming, don't need that.

Susan GA - Thoughts about cancer: Vit D. My med onco said refined sugar, but I'm starting to research & believe our body changes due to the food we eat - we add lots of chemicals daily. Vit D could be a culprit. Personally, I think genetics probably plays the biggest part, but I'm a math teacher, not a researcher.

Hopfull2 - saw you are ER+PR+Her2- and took Cytoxan & Taxotere. Are those standard for that type?

Pulskt - do you know how many weeks of radiation? Lucky me, I'm a high school math teacher & with 2 sentinel nodes positive, I may also be having radiation.

All those talking about burning, shooting muscle spasms in the chest & the arm pit stubble - 2 of my biggest pet peeves - muscle spasm in the chest kept me awake most of the night, so today has not been great. Saturday, slept like a baby. It's crazy!

Tara17 & Illimae, again, thanks for all the advice & for helping us through this crazy journey. I've never seen anything like this - different types, grades, locations, treatments, reactions - it's just crazy!

Personally, my mom-in-law is still in ICU, but the vent is out, she walked some today & sat in a chair. Going to take a few weeks to recover, but believe she will be okay. My surgery was the 13th, 2 weeks ago. I was told 10-14 days to get the pathology & the pa is suppose to call with results. My post-op is Monday so I'm starting to think that maybe there are problems with the results & they are going to wait until I see the doctor to get them. GRRR! Trying not to worry, but it can change your life again drastically. Lastly, I just want a bath or a scalding hot shower. :):):)

Have a great week& good luck to those having surgery or trying to recover! Ouray 17

• susanga
    edited June 2017
    Options

Ouray17 I'm glad that your MIL is doing better. Prayers for a really good path report. This waiting stuff is really difficult.

A very special hug to those with young children. At 70 years of age, although I am thankfully loved, there is nobody that is dependent on me anymore. Ouray, you are so right, kids are the hardest part.

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited June 2017
    Options

ouray, hi. It's usually that or AC+taxol. I went with TC. That's what my MO recommended. I was stage 1 clear nodes but had a very high onco score so that sent me to chemo land. And must ppl have TC x 4 but because I'm on the younger side he wanted me to do 6rounds. Chemo sucks big time.

Hugs ladies.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,594
    edited June 2017
    Options

tomorrow is surgery day for me, I have the button up shirt & pj's, recliner, pillows and the awesome husband, anything else I need?