Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo June 2017

Options

Comments

• Rukoni
    Rukoni Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi, Upheld!

The peas seemed to stay pretty cold throughout my infusion. I made sure all sides of my toes and fingers were covered and, also, kept ice in my mouth. In the event that I have any issues, though, I will definitely try ice. Thank you! =) I hope you feel better!

• TexasJ
    TexasJ Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hey y'all,

So I'm still settling in to all of this. I just had my first round of AC chemo on June 1st and it has kicked my butt these past few days. From what I'm told I'm on dose dense schedule which I'm not looking forward to. I think its kicked my butt so hard since I had my port put in a little less then a week prior and also had a bone biopsy of my sternum day before chemo so I'm defiantly feeling it. Ive also realized that I'm like the elephant in the room since I'm the youngest one in chemo at this time, I'm 27 but will be 28 in late October. So my question for you fabulous gals is how has your chemo been, what days have been the hardest for you? Ive realized days 3 & 4 made me cry.

• KimPossible818
    KimPossible818 Member Posts: 287
    edited June 2017
    Options

Upheld, Since I am not there yet, does your Zofran say just to take when you feel nauseous? Someone who's 2 years post treatment told me to start taking it as soon as you get home from treatment. I would assume then maybe to keep taking ? every ## hours that you can in between, even if not nauseous. That is going to be my plan, because I don't like the idea of upset stomach issues. Hugs!

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    edited June 2017
    Options

texasJ,

I tell you like it is DD AC is a royal bitch. Me 47 did 4DD AC did 2 out of 4 DD Taxol w/o any break. 2 more to go for me.

#1 AC was OK I even walked for about 45 min on Day2. Day3 and 4 were Neulasta Days. Took tylenol and Claritin like recommended still hard. Used ton of icy hot roll on for the bone pain. By Day 5 afternoon I was 85%. Day8 and on I was like myself.

#2 AC hit me by Day 2 afternoon and 3 and 4 were semi torture. During that time. I Got up drank Boosts. Took Tylenol, took Claritin halves( I hated Claritin SEs which ars more fatigue, headache and blurry vision. I take 1 half at 6 am and the other half at 6pm like clockwork) suffered torture till Day 5 late afternoon.

#3 AC was a lot better mainly bc I found somewhat of relief in terms of Epsom Salt Scrub. Still did boost, claritin halves, Tylenol. Helped me to sleep better and my skin is perfectly moistiurized and exfoliated.

#4 AC was the hardest probably bc by this time my body was screaming what the heck you are giving me all these toxins. Somewhere around #2 I did have heart palpitations. The palpitations are gone now.

For me AC means My best friend Neulasta was glued to my body to torture me for 48 hrs. Day 3 and 4.

Another thing is if you are crying from pain, you have to tell your Oncologist. I have a friend who was given morphine when she had DD AC. I cried non stop during my DD Taxol #1, I told my onco I cried non stop for the first week from pain. She had to prescribe low dose Hydrocodone. I did not cry for #2. Taxol.

You can and will do.this

Mimi

• Upheld
    Upheld Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2017
    Options

Kim Possible, incidentally, I love your name! I took Zofran the first 3 Days Every 8 hours, setting my alarm in the middle of the night to not miss a dose. Because Zofran constipates and I naturally run towards constipation, I decided to stop taking it. I still can't determine if what I'm experiencing is nausea or some other stomach upset. I never get sick on my stomach. So this is all new for me. I did have acid reflux prior to this but it was untreated. So I'm trying to figure all this out. When I stop the Zofran, I then had diarrhea. So now I've decided to go back on the Zofran every 8 hours starting today to see if that helps things. It's all so much trial-and-error, isn't it? Nothing sour or sweet tastes good to me and both give me stomach upset. I have to eat bland food only.

On another note, today is the first day that I could say I felt noticeable fatigue. I'm doing things around the house and then stop and sit down for a while and get back up. But I'm still tired. This is day 6 for me

• gameoniwin
    gameoniwin Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hello fellow warriors. I started my chemo today at Cleveland clinic. I am currently on TCH with Pejeta to be added the first of July.

I had BMX on May 8th with tissues expanders placed which I hate with a passion. If anyone has any questions about how the day went down please feel free to ask. I completely trust my medical oncologist.

Hang in there everyone. I'm keeping a blog so that is helping. I feel the need to write down everything since everyone has said what a positive attitude I've had about the whole thing. Honestly it's the only way I know how to be. Being proactive and shaving my hair off on Sat with a huge party. Everyone is voting on hairstyles for it to be cut to before it all gets shaved off but the deal is they have to go to the local mall with me and walk around for 15 minutes with each haircut. I literally live 2 miles away from the mall. Then after its all done we are having a bigger party at 4 to celebrate being bald and cancer free.

If anyone is near the northwest Ohio area and would like to stop please pm me.

• JuliaJazz
    JuliaJazz Member Posts: 175
    edited June 2017
    Options

Rukoni, thanks for your report. I am very interested in how you are doing since, as you say, I will be just three weeks behind you with my treatments and having the same two drugs.  And thanks to all the rest of you who have posted.  We can do this together!!! Julia

• lrwells50
    lrwells50 Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2017
    Options

MoodyBlues, I had the exact same cramping - nothing else, just the cramping. Very weird. I have a small hiatal (sp?) hernia, so I've had stomach issues for a while, but more like eat at least 2-3 hours before bedtime, I'm never nauseated. And I've only ever had abdominal cramps with diarrhea, but no diarrhea with these cramps. No taste changes, though, and unfortunately, hungry like usual.

I have had bone and joint pain with the Neulasta, but ibuprofen took care of it except a couple of nights I took a hydrocodone at bedtime

• hhuey
    hhuey Member Posts: 121
    edited June 2017
    Options

ay one definitely was the worst but probably because I had my port placed that same morning and then infusion in the afternoon. I am also on a dose dense AC every 2 weeks for 4 weeks. I think day one was hardest only because I did not get to eat all day and wearing off of the anesthesia from my port. Day 2 I was still woozy and foggy. Today, day 4 I still feel foggy and my vision is just a tad off (don't feel comfortable to drive ) but eating fine with maybe a little gas, indigestion a little (remedied by some peppermint tea), and able to play with my kids more , clean up a little around the house, and helped make dinner with my hubby. I know dose 2,3, and 4 may bring new challenges but I'm just taking one step at a time. I did buy some cute hats though and am getting my hair cut short Wednesday and some acupuncture on Thursday so I will be ready for the challenges.

• hhuey
    hhuey Member Posts: 121
    edited June 2017
    Options

ay one definitely was the worst but probably because I had my port placed that same morning and then infusion in the afternoon. I am also on a dose dense AC every 2 weeks for 4 weeks. I think day one was hardest only because I did not get to eat all day and wearing off of the anesthesia from my port. Day 2 I was still woozy and foggy. Today, day 4 I still feel foggy and my vision is just a tad off (don't feel comfortable to drive ) but eating fine with maybe a little gas, indigestion a little (remedied by some peppermint tea), and able to play with my kids more , clean up a little around the house, and helped make dinner with my hubby. I know dose 2,3, and 4 may bring new challenges but I'm just taking one step at a time. I did buy some cute hats though and am getting my hair cut short Wednesday and some acupuncture on Thursday so I will be ready for the challenges.

• bji
    bji Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2017
    Options

HapB - I originally was told I was HER2 negative from biopsy and then 3 weeks later at visit with MO, she tells me test on surgical sample shows I am HER2 positive. Quite a jolt to the system, as I was not planning on any chemo. Change in plans because of the high chance of recurrence she explained. I had my first Taxol/Herceptin treatment last Wednesday and still not sure about it, but plan on continuing with the treatment. I agree about the consistency, but also realize each person is different. My husband encouraged me to do treatment. 2nd treatment coming on Wednesday.

• KimPossible818
    edited June 2017
    Options

Upheld, About the name, I thought it was a positive take on a little known Disney gal. :) Please keep us updated. I think you are right that so much of it is trial and error. I plan on taking copious notes daily as to symptoms, etc, so that when the next round comes I can see if a pattern is developing so I can better plan my life. I am waiting to hear, hopefully today, if I need more lymph node surgery. If so, I am sure my chemo regimen will be pushed back. I go for my echocardiagram this morning. Not worried about that, as I've never known to have any issues. Ignorance is bliss, right?

• Rukoni
    edited June 2017
    Options

JuliaJazz: So far, days 3 and 4 have been the worst. Yesterday (day 4), I gradually became achier throughout the day and, finally, conked out earlier than usual. I, also, felt kind of sick to my stomach and could only handle some oatmeal for dinner. Today (Day 5), I'm feeling much better, though -- just a little achey, mainly my head.

HapB: Icing your fingers and toes is supposed to prevent neuropathy, sucking on ice chips is supposed to prevent mouth sores, and cold caps are designed to keep a percentage of your hair from falling out. You may want to see if your chemo site provides ice and bring some baggies, if you choose to ice. I imagine they would, because I think it is a pretty common thing with chemo.

KimPossible: I loved that show. =)

I was wondering if anyone knows how long we're supposed to keep taking the Claritin per round. This would be almost three days past the Neulasta shot.

• moodyblues
    moodyblues Member Posts: 393
    edited June 2017
    Options

Upheld  I feel you, day 6 here.  I had a bit of constipation day 2 and then (foolishly)(I didn't know) I took something and had diarrhea in the middle of the night.  Everything is moving smoothly now, with no cramping in the middle of the night, last night.  I am taking 1/2 tablet of the anti-nausea morning, afternoon and night, I would take a whole pill but it knocks me out.  Ohhh and my vertigo jumping in there did not help!  Still taking Claritin daily.

Irwells.  So far I just take 1 Tylenol and it helps me with any achiness and pain.

Day 3 was worse for achiness.  Day 4 with food aversion.

• lrfortuna
    lrfortuna Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2017
    Options

Started chemo on 6/1 (A+C every two weeks) for the first part. I have to say not so bad as I expected - certainly felt like a zombie the first two days afterwards but managed to take a walk both days and even go to the movies and to dinner on the 2nd day afterwards. Can't recall much of the movie though :) I really think the dexamethasone has made me crazy-antsy and jumpy, so I may abstain from that next time. Cheers to all!

• MomAngel
    MomAngel Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi Everyone!

I have my first chemo tomorrow 6/7 and needless to say I'm terrified. I have high anxieties and they go through the roof when I have nausea or vomit so bad that I can't stop and end up dehydrated.

I've had someone PM me and tell me that I shouldn't do chemo that because I'm Estrogen and Progesterone positive and HER2 negative the chemo is going to hurt men more the side effects aren't worth me taking a chance on dying and not being there for my kids. So I'm terrified even more.

I started acupuncture on Monday 6/5 and today I have a second acupuncture appointment. I'm hoping it helps with the side effects, especially nausea and vomiting.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm a single mom of 2 beautiful amazing girls my oldest is 19 and my youngest is 12, I hate that they are going to have to take care of me.

My chemo cocktail is Taxotyere and Cytoxan

• Rukoni
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi, MomAngel! My treatment is, also, taxotere and cytoxan. My cancer was, also, ER/PR+ and HER2-. My MO met with her group and determined that with the size of my tumor, my oncotype score, and my age, chemo would give me a noticeably longer survival rate; that is why I chose to take this route, even though it, originally, wasn't in the cards for me. You may want to discuss your concerns with your MO and find out exactly why she or he has decided on this treatment plan for you. If anything, it may give you peace of mind, which is really important in decisions like this. That being said, I am on day five, after my first treatment. I think the side effects of the neulasta shot (flu-like symptoms) have hit me harder than the chemo side effects. I felt a little nauseous yesterday, but am feeling better today. Still not much appetite. As far as nausea, I've heard that how your nausea was during pregnancy can give you an idea of how your nausea will be during treatment. I've heard wonderful things about acupuncture helping during treatment, so it sounds like you're on the right track. Also, you will want to plan on icing, at least, your fingers and toes; that helps with neuropathy. There are a few ladies on this board who are doing cold-capping, I believe, if you have questions about that.

Also, plan on drinking lots of water.

We're all here for you. There is, also, a Cytoxan Taxotere Chemo Ladies -- May 2017 board that I follow.

• TexasJ
    TexasJ Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thank you Mimi,

Im looking in to what you said and am hoping my next round next week will be a bit better. Its just recovering from the fatigue. I feel better now its just I'm just so darn tired and feel like it takes forever to do anything now.

• KimPossible818
    edited June 2017
    Options

Chemo is definitely a go for next Friday, but I will have to have more lymph nodes removed after surgery. Man did I not want to hear that! The tumor board assessed and agreed that starting me on chemo was the most aggressive thing to do first, and so do it I must. Still processing this, but hopefully that will give my SNB area more time to heal before the incision is made bigger.

Momangel, I pray that peace can be yours. I imagine I will feel the same next week, when mine begins. I'm focusing on what my team thinks is best for me. We are all so different, even if there are similarity to our stages/types, etc. One day at a time, and I pray your side effects are nil!

• lilsuzq
    lilsuzq Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thank you moody for the clarification.

I am wondering - was anyone who is HER2 positive - given the choice of just doing the Herceptin and no chemo? Or Tamoxifen and Herceptin no chemo? I am looking for percentages from my Oncologists (treating and second opinion) and neither of them have given me those as options - only TCH and then Tamoxifen.

Thank you. You are all so brave...if I go forward with chemo I hope I can be just a brave as you all.

• lrfortuna
    lrfortuna Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2017
    Options

On an individual basis your chance of recurrence is either zero or 100% if that makes sense? Would you be mad at yourself if it came back and you hadn't? I am OK with it because I feel like I am on my ninth life and don't want to ever have to hear that I have it yetagain (I had a mastectomy and was deemed not to need radiation six years ago). Hope you find a peaceful decision !

• Vivianlu8
    Vivianlu8 Member Posts: 113
    edited June 2017
    Options

My chemo is also tomorrow today i had my appointment this morning and my Oncologist said when the lump was removed i am ok but the chemo is to avoid a recurrence. Who knows there are cells out there that hadnt been seen. I am scare too, i took ativan and ask one for tomorrow at the hospital, but i prefer to do now everything possible than later. And she said there is everything for the side effects except for the fatigue. I am cold capping so I guess i am more stress of doing that right not to loose my hair because nobody knows just my family and 2 friends.

It is a comminment to do the cold capping but i saw some girls in other forums and they kept their hair and their privacy.

I keep in touch to tell you how was it.

In the meantime keep positive! My best wishes for you!

• MomAngel
    edited June 2017
    Options

HapB, thank you. I'm guessing my kids aren't going to have to take care of me. When I'm sick they love to help me and not let me do anything especially my youngest.

• cheri444
    cheri444 Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi, guys. I need some opinions about chemo, as I will meet with my oncologist tomorrow. What would you do, if your final pathology showed that your 2 cm invasive ductal carcinoma was a grade 3--highly aggressive--with an 8 out of 9 Nottingham score, which is the worst (tubules 3, nuclei 2, mitotic rate 3, poor differentiation); yet your oncotype DX score was low--only 12? Does the oncotype score trump the grade and the Nottingham score? I'm worried, because my cancer grew from 1.5 cm to 2 cm in just six weeks, while waiting for my surgery, and then we found out it was aggressive. But I think my onc is going to recommend tamoxifen and no chemo, due to the low oncotype score. Do you think it's wise to not do chemo on a grade 3 with high mitotic rate of 20/10? Should I get a second opinion? I'm not crazy about the idea of chemo, but I don't want any regrets 10 years down the road either, and it's aggressive... Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

• MomAngel
    edited June 2017
    Options

Cheri444

My onco type score was 23, I'm Stage 1 Grade 3 my lymph nodes and tissue removed were not infected with th cancer cells at all and my cells hadn't turned into a lump so to speak. I'm doing chemo 4 rounds of taxotyere and Cytoxan then one month off and I start my hormone blockers and one month radiation . I'd say with the grade three ask for chemo if you think it will bring your reoccirance down with the grade 3. My oncologist said she's goes Moreno by the stage and grade for how likely there's I'll bet at a reoccurance in 5 years.

How do you feel? Do you want to have chemo and radiation?

• cheri444
    cheri444 Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thank you, MomAngel. I want to do as much as possible to lower my risk, even by a few percentage points. Lost my father to metastatic prostate cancer a couple years ago and will never forget his regrets that he didn't do more to prevent its spread...

Hugs

• MomAngel
    edited June 2017
    Options

BlueEyedPisces

I was diagnosed March of this year. I have two beautiful girls 19 and 12. I wasn't sick with either of my pregnancies but I have high anxiety when I'm nauseous and vomit.

I have my first chemo June 7, I'm getting Taxotere and Cytoxan. I've been doing acupuncture I started yesterday and went today too it's supposed to help with nausea and vomiting. Also they give you good anti nausea drugs in your IV. Try getting some ginger ale and crackers keep them with you, also ginger in green tea or just ginger root in hot water will help too. Pick up women seabands they aren't the nausea bands you wear one on each wrist.

Good luck keep us poste

• MomAngel
    edited June 2017
    Options

vivianlu8

My chemo is tomorrow first one. I'm not scared of losing my hair I'm more terrified of how I'll fee once I'm done with this round of chemo, like will side effects hit me on the way home? Do they give you anti nausea meds in your IV? Do they give you nausea meds to take at home?

I understand the fear. I think everyone is scared of the unknown. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow - stay strong.

Angel

• bji
    edited June 2017
    Options

MomAngel

They gave me anti nausea meds in my IV prior to infusion along with 2 prescription to be used at home if needed. I took one the first night because they told me to be prepared, and one on Day 3. Otherwise I really didn't need it. I had my husband with to drive me home, we are about 25 miles from cancer center, because they gave me benedryl also and I normally get pretty sleepy from it.

• bji
    edited June 2017
    Options

Lilsuzq

I am HER2 positive, I am doing Taxol and Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks, followed by Herceptin every 3 weeks for another 9 months. I had my first treatment last week, tomorrow is treatment 2.