Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo June 2017

Options

Comments

• bji
    bji Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2017
    Options

HapB

My MO explained about the cardiac issues, I had a baseline echocardiogram done 2 weeks ago, they will check it every 3 months for any changes. I had lumpectomy done 4/26. So far the Taxol/Herceptin hasn't been too bad. Very little nausea, some bone pain on Day 3-4 but manageable. Treatment 2 tomorrow morning, hoping goes as well as last week.

• l_brain
    l_brain Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2017
    Options

BJI,

I'm on Taxol/Herceptin as well. I do number 7 tomorrow. Side affects have been mild so far. I have noticed the fatigue is setting in more as I go. I walk every single day and highly recommend exercise. Even if I don't feel like it I go for a walk and I always feel better after. Good luck tomorrow. I'll be in there at 8:30am.

• l_brain
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hapb,

I only had to do the steroids the first two times. I think it is much better to not have the added side affects they cause. The one or two days of energy isn't worth them. Hope things go well for you.

• bji
    edited June 2017
    Options

HapB

Yes I had port put in the prior to first infusion. I get steroids in my IV prior to the infusion, but nothing after that. Downside to them, a little trouble sleeping and lots of energy on Day 2. It wasn't so bad, got laundry, cleaning, mowed lawn, but Day 3 you come down off that. I have been feeling really good. The only not so good days were 3 & 4, I had a lot of bone pain. I took Claritin and ibuprofin for a couple of days. Day 6 & 7 were feeling normal, did some errands and shopping today, even went out for supper last night. I hope treatment tomorrow goes as well. Had an appt with wig consultant today (being proactive) and taking a Look Good Feel Better class tomorrow afternoon. Makeup and skincare tips plus a goody bag of samples. The only reason they said I had to have a driver was because of the benedryl, it makes me very sleepy. I'm not sure if they give it each time or not, said it was to make sure no allergic reaction to chemo. Hope Friday goes well for you,

• l_brain
    edited June 2017
    Options

HapB,

The last couple weeks it has started to shed pretty good. Leg hair is slowly going away.

• MsLin
    MsLin Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2017
    Options

HapB

I totally understand your fears about the chemicals and is it worth it. I weighed it heavily myself. In my case my oncologist said my cure rate was at 82%. In other words there was an 82% chance it wouldn't come back if I just did AI drugs. I happen to be 40 with a 12 year old son so 82% was not good enough for me. It is not going to be fun. It will suck and you'll question it the whole time, but is it worth it? Yes, in my opinion. I go for round 2 of AC on Friday and even though I know what to expect, I'm still nervous.

As far as going out into public, sure! Thoughout this first cycle I've pretty much lived life as normal. I've been working (I teach high school). I grocery shop. We went out to dinner with friends and I went out to dinner with my son tonight. I did want to go see Wonder Woman over the weekend, but it was my nadir so I thought it was best not to be in an enclosed movie theater during that time. However, I'm planning a trip to Arizona between rounds this summer (driving, not flying) and basically living life as normal. The more normal things I do, the more normal I feel.

I told my husband the other night that despite the fact that I have cancer and have to go through all of this medical junk, I'm a pretty happy person. I'm spending my time looking at all of the positives in life and celebrating them. They are what is getting me though those moments when I sit in shock and think, "holy *hit, I have cancer." We can all do hard things. I promise

• MomAngel
    MomAngel Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hey everyone I'm at my first chemo and I was so anxious they had to give me an anxiety pill and now I'm waiting to start my first Cytoxan and then a half hour of taxotere

• Teese
    Teese Member Posts: 355
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi all, I've been lurking for awhile. Decided to jump in and say hello. I have my MO appointment on 6/12 and I'll find out all the particulars about my chemo then.

I read through the May chemo thread to get an idea of what to expect and I go back in forth between feeling empowered and scared to death with all the info I've learned.

So glad to have a place to share and vent my fears and hopes. Prayers and hugs to all you beautiful ladies.

Teese

• MomAngel
    edited June 2017
    Options

I'm home from chemo and I'm feeling okay. Tired, weak, lazyand a very bad headache. Seemed to go okay. Had a little freak out this morning but I am feeling okay.

• bji
    edited June 2017
    Options

HapB and MomAngel

Just finished treatment #2, went well, no issues during infusion. After I was done I went to a Look Better, Feel Better class. It was great fun, 3 of us with breast cancer, I was the oldest, the other 2 gals late 30's, one of which has lost her hair after 4th treatment. All kinds of makeup tips, we practiced applying it, got a makeup bag full of makeup to take home. She did a demo of scarfs and suggestion for summer coming up. She showed a fringe hairpiece, just bangs with hair in the back over ears, nothing on top. You can wear a scarf or hat, looked very natural. We had a good laugh, the gal with no hair was her model and the hairpiece was blond. She said her boyfriend said he'd like to see her as a blond. Great option for summer heat. Went out for supper after that. MO suggest starting the claritin tonight for 5 days to see if helps with joint pain. Also don't wait too long to take a anti nausea pill or start a laxative, try and stay ahead of things. My blood counts all look great she said. Feeling pretty positive, if each week went like this, piece of cake. 2 down, 10 to go!

• KimPossible818
    KimPossible818 Member Posts: 287
    edited June 2017
    Options

BJI, Very good news indeed! Great attitude! Keep us encouraged!

MomAngel, Rest well!! Glad you are ok.

• MsLin
    edited June 2017
    Options

HapB - In my report for the oncotype my "5 year risk of recurrence or mortality" is 16% with Arimidex alone (I'm surgically post-menopausal). With Arimidex and chemo my 5 year risk of recurrence is 13%. My numbers were off in my last post. My tumor was grade 3 and 5cm. I had 1 positive node and my oncotype came back at 27. When speaking with my oncologist, she didn't like the percentages and neither did I. Her thresholds for oncotype are 11 and 25 which are different than the company's. She is apart of a group of oncologists around the country two meet to discuss standard of care. They felt that genomic testing' thresholds were too generous. While a 3% increase doesn't seem like much, it is a huge amount to me. I'll be 41 on the 22nd and have a 12 year old son. Anything I can do to make sure I'm around as long as possible is ok in my book.

I may not have been around the cancer block before, but I too have had my fair share of medical issues. I found out the hard way that I'm allergic to dilaudid with my hysterectomy. When the nurse tells your husband to "watch her and make sure she breathes andpush this button if she stops breathing" you're in trouble.

• moodyblues
    moodyblues Member Posts: 393
    edited June 2017
    Options

Teese  Hang in there!  Roller coaster ride for sure but, most days are manageable.

BJI       What an uplifting post, I needed to hear of your great day, sounds fun!

• moodyblues
    edited June 2017
    Options

Finally got relief from my abdominal pain/cramping/spasms, MO called in a prescription and I started to feel better within an hour or so.

I have learned a valuable lesson from all of this, if a symptom persists that is making your day unbearable (pain, not being able to sleep or eat) call your doctor.  I am a trooper and was very sure it would get better if I just gave it time and fought it hard (mind over matter), I suffered needlessly as there were meds that fixed it.  Today I have managed a piece of cinnamon raison toast with peanut butter for breakfast.  It's 11 and I've already had my lunch of spaghetti with a sauce of mushrooms, green peppers and meat and a half piece of garlic toast.  More than I have eaten in the last two days combined.  So grateful as I needed nourishment.  Life is good!

cross posted

• Vivianlu8
    Vivianlu8 Member Posts: 113
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi girls, yesterday was my first chemo it was a long day. The infusion was ok i took an ativan but i forgot to take the drug for the nausea before the chemo so around 3 oclock i started to feel with nausea very bad i didn't eat anything until this morning, on top of that i was cold capping but sleeping because i was very sick. Today i took all the medicines and i feel ok. I hope the next days will be better because monday i have to go back to work. I am 46 with 4 kids and i had to accept that if the oncotype said i needed chemo, prefer now and no regrets later.

Good luck with your decision. It is tough but doable. 😊

• TexasJ
    TexasJ Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hey y'all,

So I got some disheartening news today, my bone biopsy on my sternum came back positive for cancer as well and now I'll have to do radiation after chemo and surgery. Im not to sure how to process this since I am now Stage IV, my doctor was so amazingly sweet and told us he is going to do everything that he can to get rid of it and reassured that it hasn't spread any where else in my body and the area is quite small which is a good sign. Sorry to vent and all its just so odd because my genetic testing came back negative for the BRCA gene, I'm in my 20s and somehow has spread to my sternum bone which the odds of that happening are slim from what my doctor stated. But hey I guess whatever life throws at ya you just go with it.

• moodyblues
    edited June 2017
    Options

TexasJ.  Praying for you, I promise. 

• JuliaJazz
    JuliaJazz Member Posts: 175
    edited June 2017
    Options

Lots of prayers coming your way TexasJ.  You are right that we take what life hands us. I am glad your doctor is going to fight for you. Sometimes amazing things can happen. Take it one day at a time.

• Vivianlu8
    Vivianlu8 Member Posts: 113
    edited June 2017
    Options

Prayers for you Texas keep hope, you are young and you have to fight, my blessings for you! 🙏🙏

• KimPossible818
    edited June 2017
    Options

Port placement day! Was weirded out when the nurse who called yesterday said they also make a 1 cm incision into the jugular as well. Say what? I didn't get that memo. She said I will have sedation that will make me feel like I don't care. I asked if I could have that for the next five months, so I can float through this chemo regimen. :) She laughed.

I'm already thinking about how hungry I will be by the time they are done around 3:30. Other than that, I am as ready as I can be.

Went wig shopping Wednesday night. That will cause a tear, but then I laughed at some they placed on my head. Needless to say I'm still shopping...

• MomAngel
    edited June 2017
    Options

this is my third day out from my first chemo and day after my Neulasta pro. I'm keeping up with all my meds my compazine, ativan, steroid, Tylenol and ibuprofen. Very tired but my body just doesn't want to sleep, hair is starting to lose strands and just plain weak. No bone aches yet. Hoping not because I'm keeping up with the meds.

• Smilingwifey40
    Smilingwifey40 Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2017
    Options

TexasJ, my thoughts are with you. I'm sending good vibes and a hug. Hug

You know I tested negative for a lot of gene mutations but I'm sure there's one in our family. Challenge is no one else will go for genetic testing. My grandma had ovarian cancer, her sister breast cancer. They've been gone for years but it wasn't their cancers that took them. Now mom is ER+/PR+/HER2- stage 4. Just dx 2015. One of her sisters is a bc warrior, same kind but came back after 6 years. She and mom were diagnosed at later ages. But I lost a sister at 35 and first cousin 42 to bc already. I'm triple negative, found it a month before 41st birthday. Somewhere is a gene mutation I'm sure! I'm keeping the communication open in the family about it.

• KimPossible818
    edited June 2017
    Options

Angel, It's probably the steroid that is interfering with your sleep. Hang in there! Sorry the hair is starting to let go so quickly. Wishing for you good rest and highly manageable SEs.

• MsLin
    edited June 2017
    Options

KimPossible - I remember laying there during the port placement and could feel them yanking and pulling on things thinking, man this does not suck. Meaning that I just didn't give a *hit about what was happening and it was awesome.

The small jugular incision is no biggie. The strange part is I can feel the tube running up over my collar bone. I have very pronounced collar bones and if I move the right way you can see it too

• Teese
    Teese Member Posts: 355
    edited June 2017
    Options

Texasj I'm sorry for your new findings. But I know from reading and researching that bone mets are manageable and if your gonna have mets that's what you want.

You're so young and healthy and strong. They'll shrink this and get rid of it. Then in time this will get better treatment options and regimens, right now the survival rates just got better and they only reflect what happened in research that just wrapped up. Today's survival rates are actually better but unknown till current research is complete. Stay positive.

We are storming heaven with prayers not just for your recovery but peace and comfort as you deal with this new diagnosis.

Tees

• ella421
    ella421 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2017
    Options

Texas I will pray for u - with God all things are possible...to everyone I am learning a lot about BC and our bodies and ck out William Li on u tube and the website eattobeat.com food is key on a go forward basis to avoid reoccurring etc. Hope you find this useful. Am friend of mine has stage 4 lung cancer diagnosed in 2014 and she has controlled it with diet - tumors are there but shrinking....i think a combo of food and the treatments prescribed will work for most of us..

My thoughts meant to help not promoting any particular person etc.

• KimPossible818
    edited June 2017
    Options

TexasJ, You are young and can fight this! Peace that you keep that fighting spirit to show doctors and everyone that you can get rid of this and live healthily here on out, well beyond 100 years!!

• TexasJ
    TexasJ Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thank you everyone for your amazing and encouraging words. Reading all of yall's messages have really brightened my spirit and I know I can get through it!

- Jinny

• Upheld
    Upheld Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hello ladies! I am 10 days out after my first round of TCHP . I started feeling really good yesterday! I find if I get enough sleep, it helps immensely. I'm not having any trouble sleeping, but I just have to go back to bed after I see my husband and son off in the morning. I get up early with them and then go back to bed for 3 more hours. If I don't do that or if I do too much I get really fatigued and feel badly.

I have finally figured out that what I have been experiencing is nausea more than indigestion or reflux. I started taking Zofran alternating with Compazine every 4 to 6 hours while I'm awake. All of the burping and full feeling have gone away. I was able to eat very well once I started that.

The problem has been horrible diarrhea. Is anyone else experiencing that? I think it is from the Prejeta? It hits about an hour after I eat anything. I know I should probably consistently try the Imodium but I hate taking all of these medications. I know, I know. That sounds ridiculous given all the drugs for having pumped into our bodies.

I want to go back to work next Friday. As that is day 17, I'm guessing my hair would have already started coming out. Can anyone tell me when there's came out or if it is starting to come out at this point?

I so enjoy reading everyone's posts and the encouragement that everyone gives each other. I pray for each of you, to have good days ahead.

• lrwells50
    lrwells50 Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2017
    Options

My hair started coming out on day 13, but that seems a few days earlier than most people