Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Options

Comments

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,136
    Options

Candy, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. In your pocket sending condolences your way and hoping you will be stable, sure I heard about that somewhere in your posting.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,606
    Options

With four pages to catch up on, I know I'll miss someone.

To keep it simple, I'll say YAY for those who are stable, HUGS for those who are struggling, and HEY THERE to those who are just puttering along.

I'm more on the "funk" side of things right now. Want to get this swallowing thing resolved. Swallow eval (MBS) is on Wednesday. I stupidly consulted Dr. Google and to quote a Hallmark movie, "I went from a mild headache to clinically dead in four clicks."

DH wants to make a Costco run this morning. We're out of avocados…

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 653
    Options

Candy - so sorry about the loss of a friend. But we are all your friends and sisters. And we care about you. Pocket duty for scans tomorrow. As always, I’m here with amazing Wisconsin cheese (crackers too). I also agree about wanting to make comments on an individual basis but unless they’re the last couple of posts, I just can’t keep up.

Shana - I can’t believe you had all that energy at 74. Mine went out the window shortly after my MBC dx at 64 (68 next month). Side effects and severe osteoarthritis limit my body. I’m so envious. My wish is just to simply be able to walk our dogs. Can’t make it to the end of our short driveway. I am seeing a new pain management doc this week to see if he has anything to offer. Back is severely messed up. Fingers crossed.

• jobbibo
    jobbibo Member Posts: 73
    Options

Hello all, popping in to introduce myself and get aquatinted after being told about this very active thread!

I’ve spoken with some of you on other discussions but just a short recap - I’m new to living with MBC. Just got diagnosed de novo at 29, triple positive, IDC, with large spots on my liver and one on my spine. After going through some denial issues with insurance finally have my treatment in place to start Tuesday. I’ll be starting on weekly Taxol, along with Phesgo injections every 3 weeks and lupron injections every 4 weeks. Just had my port surgery on Thursday and first lupron injection Friday. A bit sore but nothing I can’t handle so far. Nervous about starting chemo since I’ve never had any kind of treatment before but also just very very ready to get started.

I hope I get to know you all more, everyone here seems so supportive of one another. Although I’m sorry we’re here I’m glad to have found you all.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 679
    Options

candy I always think of this quote when I worry about the what if’’s

“Worry is like walking around with an umbrella open on a sunny day waiting for it to rain” that has stuck with me since I read it. Many days I have the umbrella in hand and convince myself not to open it. Sending you strength and good vibes for your scan tomorrow.It hurts but sometimes we are better off without some people in our lives. Lately I just feel like I don’t have time for relationships that are way too much work. My feelings have been hurt by family and friends who cancer ghost me and I thought I did something wrong. Now I realize some of it is they don’t know how to deal with it.

Shanagirl You sound like you really lived life to the fullest which is fabulous! It is a huge adjustment that we all absolutely hate. Sounds like you have wonderful people around you. One day, one step at a time.Hugs.

sfcakes I hope your MO supports your decision and you have peace with it. I found it to be a tough decision to make but I am happy I did it! After pushing through work and juggling appointments for a couple years I had enough. I feel like after working hard for many years I deserved to reduce my stress in this one life we have.

Mara you ok ? Didn’t see your morning post….

Have a good night ladies❤️

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,881
    Options

Jo~welcome to the living room. I am sorry that you find yourself here. But we genuinely care and understand what you may be going through. Someone usually has experience and knowledge to help with questions and we all celebrate good scans and grieve when things don’t go as we wanted them too. But please remember we are here as a sounding board and a place to go that people just get it. I’m sending you a welcome hug.

• weninwi
    weninwi Member Posts: 748
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello All,

I've exchanged messages with several of you on other threads and have dropped in here a few times to read, but didn't really grasp the focus or impetus until I read Mel's initial post: "As I go through this forced path I have been thrown down…" Now I get it and will visit more regularly.

cookie54, I like your quote about worry.

I saw this article the other day that caused me to pause and reflect: "Getting Off the Merry-Go-Round of Advanced Cancer Treatment".

https://www.curetoday.com/view/getting-off-the-merry-go-round-of-advanced-cancer-treatment

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 481
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi everyone, Hope that Sunday was a good day. Welcome Jo. I'm sorry you are here. You are so young to have such a crappy diagnosis. The ladies and gents here are wonderfully supportive and informative.

Still no news on Sadiesservent? And ?? In everyone's pocket for tests and scans. Praying for good news!

I, too live thru folks vicariously. Here in FL, I just have minimal plants. My favorite is the bottle brush tree. Hummingbirds love it. Gorgeous sunflowers are growing, courtesy of seeds that the squirrels dropped from bird feeders. DGD has a wonderful pumpkin patch. Gardenias grow well and so do Pointsettias.

Ice: is a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm bruised and still swollen but recuperating. For pain, I've been doing that routine I read about here on breastcancer.org of Advil then Tylenol. The new RX for Neurontin leaves me groggy and headachey, but it's by backup when needed.

Swallowing test: I did that years ago for eval with MS. Not difficult or painful and in my case, inconclusive (short of acid reflux). I learned to tilt my chin to my chest when it was difficult to swallow or had spasming. Also, I now stay on Protonix. Great improvement. Applesauce helps pills go down. Learned from an ALS patient that pineapple juice cuts mucous. Hope these tips help.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,058
    Options

Jobbibo; Hey, you found the living room. Thanks Mods for the link so she could find us.

Weninwi: There is always a spot on the couch or a cushion on the floor here.

Cookie: There is a woman I have known since 1971, we go along way back. She was my bridesmaid in 1973 but she is an Energy Vampire and the adage "no good deed goes unpunished" applies to her. She needs help but any help you offer comes with even more demands and a blowback. I am lucky in that friends and family didn't ghost me but I honestly think they have forgotten I am Stage IV. 4 years on and I look good (apparently) !!

This is THE PLACE to come to ask for pocket duty, give pocket duty, tell us what you are up to, what you don't want to be up to.

I have been lurking and am so remiss in posting. I have been working on getting my veggies bed ready and decided to try solarization to rid my bed of weeds. The idea is to wet the soil, cover it in plastic and let the sun heat up to soil to kill off weeds. It seems to be working except for the comfrey which is unstoppable and has been an ongoing battle for about a decade. They have tap roots that can run 2 meters or more underground.

Here's a pic, I'll let you gardening types know if it worked

This is the beginning of my herb patch. I have other herbs in pots long another railing

Thinking of all of you - scans, good news, not so good news. Loving pics of pets, children.

Watching more US news than I should. Grateful to be in Canada with our own political BS.

Peace and love ~~~ me

• mara51506
    Options

Jo, welcome to the living room as well, we are happy to have you with us as well for all the ups and downs.

Cookie, I accidentally deleted my morning post and was ticked off. I did not redo it. I'll summarize today. Took day off of PT, walking and major house chores. Did laundry, mobile games and surveys for cash. Breakfast was beans, beefless ground, cheese and wheat bran. Chopped up and added steak seasoning with a bit of bran to bind it, was very good. Supper was the left over bits of pasta from a package. I don't think I will buy the packaged pasta with sauce, just buy pasta itself and add my own stuff. Tending to take weekends off physical activity and leaving it for Monday to Friday. I am also trying to tighten up my talking about my day because I feel like I sound

I am also always looking for easy, inexpensive meals I can make for myself and found Cheap Meal Ideas on facebook, the ideas there are fantastic and there are some I would actually like to try. There is only so far I can stretch my limited foods I like.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,084
    Options

Well, I just noticed something I'm missing from the old platform. I used to use the Dashboard to help find my most most recent post and pick up where I left off, On this screaming-fast thread, I can't hope to find my way back to it, wick means I'll miss responding to people I meant to.

Sunshine- thanks for the "mild headache to clinically dead in four clicks" quote. I needed the laugh. Dr. Google is a quack. Lots of information to sift through, but don't let him diagnose anything! Lol

Shanagirl - are you still on Verzenio? It could be causing the abdominal cramping (it has for me). I use Gas-X/Phazyme (simethicone) occasionally. It's bern a a tremendous help and it works pretty fast for me.

Candy - sorry you and your friend parted ways. People just don't understand the never-ending continuousness of what we're dealing with. Was that redundant? Well, OK, that seems appropriate.

Irish ‐ what an ordeal getting that pleural catheter out! I hope you're completely on the mend now.

Cookie - It's really wonderful how supportive you are of everyone.

LivingIVLife- good to see your check in.

Elderberry - try black plastic for your solarization. It traps the heat, but doesn't allow the light through for the greenhouse effect. That's what I used in Florida. Here, I just have a few plants in large buckets. Maybe next year I'll have (really) raised beds.

Waving to Mel, mara, Mae, Tanya, Goldens, sfcakes... so sorry for the names I'm missing. I read along and feel for, or cheer for, everyone in Mel's Living Room- even the lurkers

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 297
    Options

Good (hopefully) morning everyone!

Weninwi

Thanks for the excellent article. Fingers crossed that none of us will reach that decision point for a long while.

Candy

Thinking of you today for your scans/appointment. Hoping you will be posting good news later, but here for you whatever it is.

Cookie

Thinking about you being so close to Philly. Had the route 95 collapse affected your area? Feel a special affinity for you and Shana, as I am a Jersey Girl born and bred, although I no longer live there. Still haven't learned how to pump gas 🤭

RK

So glad you have at least small gardens that you can still enjoy. I have a 60 SQ ft mulched area that I can plant and am spending way too much time over each selection because the space is so limited. Just planted two hydrangeas - one which was a favorite from my former gardens and one whose name really appealed to me - "tiny tuff stuff" - how could I not plant that?

Elderberry

Love to see your plant photos and hear your garden plans.

Jo

So sorry you are with us at such a young age, sweetie, but as everyone has said, we are here for you.

Shana

I second seeq's recommendation for Phazyme, as GI issues have been my main problem with Kisqali. I also have a prescription for Bentyl, which I only take as a "rescue" treatment.

Hugs to all.

• mara51506
    Options

Elderberry, I am envious of your garden space, would love to have space to grow my own stuff. No balcony and even stuff with grow lights would get destroyed, looking forward to pics of finished crops.

It is cloudy and rainy, just the games/surveys for money, Laundry, PT and general chores. Garbage day, throwing a bit out today, I do not find myself throwing out as much. Maybe one bag every couple weeks. Recycle is also slow as I keep a lot of containers for food with lids to keep other foods in and bottles to keep my laundry or soap mixes in as well so recycling is slower too. Cannot go a third week though so will need to take a smallish bag today.

I decided I don't like the garlic noodles so will rinse them off before cooking and keep as pasta to use later. I also don't enjoy the soup noodles so will just cook and straight up add to my chopper when making my bean/wheat bran and whatever cheese and protein are done. They do a good job boosting the amount of food being consumed and I love a good boost. I keep the soup powder to add to my chicken broth powder which is also just a seasoning.

This morning, I am thinking an egg sandwich, couple eggs in sandwich maker with cheese and beefless ground. Beans in later meals. If it clears up, I may go to a place that does pre made meals and look for stuff there. They have nice single serve meals or even a full meal that I could do extra to. I can order the meal and go pick it up which is good.

• micmel
    Options

I also live in the suburbs of Philly. Been following the collapse closely. Quite destructive. Fire is. Just makes everything weak . So many easterners I didn’t know about !

• micmel
    Options

wenin~ welcome to the thread. Please sit back and let us get to know you. I hope you’ll feel welcome and know someone is always listening.

• micmel
    Options

love the greens ! Gardening is something I used to enjoy. Thanks for sharing

• eleanora
    Options

Mel

No longer in the NJ/PA neighborhood, but only a few hours away by car. My mind knows that this was the right move, but my heart is homesick 😔

It might help if I could find decent pizza, bagels or deli here, but still searching with no success

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 337
    Options

Good Morning Ladies of the Living room. I’ve been reading through

Weninwi, Hi, glad you stopped in. Stay awhile. All here are wonderful compassionate and supportive women here for each other

Jo … 🤗 Welcome.

Irish, I’m sorry you had to go thru all that to have that catheter removed. I’ relieved for you that it’s now resolved for you💗

Mel, I’ve been reading about your bout with sleep issues. Take some time for yourself for a nap today. It’s very hazy and overcast here probably a good day for a nap myself . There’s a really nice breeze coming thru the windows today and yesterday.

Cookie…Hey there Jersey Girl 💙🌊🏖️🎡🎢🚤

Mara….Uggh that’s so annoying when we accidentally delete a post. I’ve done that before too.

To all Of you I hope you are having good scans if you are dealing with it today. And I have a pocket picture so anyone who needs it I’m in your pockets today♥️

💕Barb

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,586
    Options

Dirt update: its arrived! DPD guy showed up two minutes before this thunderstorm broke and was looking unhappy. Tough crap buddy. I had him heft it into the entry foyer, hubs will move it when he comes home.

I think about three years ago I posted a photo of this super fancy garden we take care of as part of this flat. Some stuff has died off so its not quite as vibrant as it was (nor did we think we were still going to be here this long), but Ill take a new picture after the gardener comes on the 30th so folks can see what we've got going on here.

• sunshine99
    Options

Good morning, all.

Jo, what a gut punch. I think you'll find this particular thread very warm and welcoming.

Sondra, I had a similar experience with a delivery. Guy looked ticked that he had to bring this big box up my driveway. Suck it up, dude! I'm an old lady with a cane and you are a young punk! DH wasn't home at the time…

Re: the swallowing eval, I used to accompany skilled nursing patients to get them (I'm a retired speech-language pathologist) so I think I know the drill. I'm more worried about the GI appointment and probably endoscopy. I think it's done under anesthesia.

I'm off to the grocery store to get a few things.

Love to all,

Carol

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,577
    Options

Welcome bobbijo 😁

Good morning ladies. Not much going on with me, currently sitting in the chemo chair, lazy day today since I refuse to do anything on chemo day.

• rk2020
    rk2020 Member Posts: 693
    Options

Just a quick note to tell Sunshine that my husband gets regular endoscopies. He has been out for all of them. I don’t remember what they give him but he never remembers the procedure. Good luck.

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 428
    Options

Seeq. I suggested you tap on your own name and click messages or discussions. But click on comments to see all your comments and find where you left off.

Click on someone else's name and cluck messages to send privately.

• sunshine99
    Options

Thank you, mae. That's comforting to know that.

• cookie54
    Options

Welcome Jo Sorry you are dealing with this but glad you found this living room it's filled with much love and support.

Hey weninwi glad to see ya here! We have chatted on the Xeloda thread. Hope your hanging in there with the HFS, I'm up and down with it. Will have to go back and read your attachment, always like to read as much as possible.

elderberry Ha I love the energy vampire term, perfect! yes…..I feel like people have forgotten the diagnosis also. Not that I need constant attention but acknowledge what I'm going through every now and again …sheesh! Great garden you have going!

Mara I love to read about your day we all need to hear about "normal" daily events.

seeq Hi hope your able to get back to the thread easily, took me a little time. Now when I login I click on active topics and then on the notification bell…good luck

Hey eleanora really…what part of Jersey are you from? I do like it here even though though the taxes are ridiculous. I feel like I'm in the perfect spot between the city and the shore. The roads are an absolute mess in Philly of course, will take some time. I don't think we should be affected much by it, fingers crossed. Ha what pump gas lol never have, totally spoiled here.

Mel You close enough to be an Eagles fan I hope lol

sunshine Yup endoscopy is a nice twilight type of anethesia typically. I bet you know about the three texture barium swallow studies back in the day? I started out in xray before I did CT.

sondraf Yaaay the dirt has arrived, now the work begins. Sure it will be a great garden when completed.

Shana Glad to see ya, hope it's a better day

Sorry if I missed anyone, I cheated and had two pages open to keep everything straight. My brain somedays is not what it used to be. Much needed rain arriving now. Hoping it's a quit storm for Daisy or I will spend the night trying to calm her..yikes…Hugs to all.

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 337
    Options

sunshine

I’ve had an endoscopy and was out for it. They did it while I had a colonoscopy 4 yrs ago. It was nothing. Don’t stress, girl.. I just sopped in to say hi. I can’t stay and read more…. I’m going downstairs to make chicken cutlets for DH and my son.

💕Barb

• micmel
    Options

I am a complete Eagles fan. Oh yes I am. Very close to Philly. Not in Allentown but in between them. Nice suburban area.

• cookie54
    Options

Mel - Yes! A fellow Eagles fan, love it! Fly Eagles Fly, hope it's a good season🤞

• eleanora
    Options

Cookie54

Sent you a pm, although with the new site being so difficult, don't know if I did it correctly

• eleanora
    Options

Yes! Just saw that the message went through