Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Looking for your recommendations: Wigs, hats, turbans, and more

Options

Comments

• willowreed84
    willowreed84 Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2017
    Options

I agree with not getting a wig until after your hair falls out. I got one after my first chemo so I would be ready when I was bald. I did not like my wig and only wore it to go to my kid's school stuff. I crocheted a ton of hats for myself. They were comfortable and gave me something to do. My wig's color didn't suit me after a couple rounds of chemo made my coloring "off". I had a grayish tinge.

• Zoziana
    Zoziana Member Posts: 102
    edited August 2017
    Options

Favorite head covering:

https://www.amazon.com/Henry-Margu-CLASSIC-BAND-Sy...=sr_1_fkmr0_2_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1503551859&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=classic+headband+henry+margu

I had many soft cotton caps (favorites at home), some knit beanie caps, (favorites everywhere when the weather suited) some scarves (also liked when the weather suited), a full and expensive (but synthetic) wig (was a waste; disliked the look, felt it was too uncomfortable) a baseball hat with hair attached (fooled everyone into thinking I had hair and was pretty comfortable), and my favorite "dressy" yet highly comfortable look, what I call "headband hair": a stretchy soft headband with the wig attached to that. It suited me and was super comfortable, and worked for most things.To try types of caps and scarves, I went to Next Step in Los Gatos California. I bought some there in advance of hair loss and am glad I had a couple on hand. Then, I bought more (from there and online at Amazon.) It is a complete women's breast cancer care boutique, with knowledgeable and kind employees who can help fit bras, wigs, etc. Also, Cancer Care Point is a non-profit and has a wig bank and can fit you and provide free wigs if you need them (along with many support services like nutrition classes, etc.)

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited August 2017
    Options

For the Boise Idaho area two shops that were very helpful and friendly were: Angels in Your Corner 4111 West State (208) 345-1551; and Kathy's Wig Boutique 17 North Orchard St. (208)-376-2995. I did cold capping and even though I lost more hair than I thought I would, both the Oncologist and surgeon were impressed by how much I still had and are advocating having the clinic provide the FDA approved coldcapping in the clinic. The woman at Angels in Your Corner was particularly helpful and even knew about cold capping. After looking at several options, including wigs, she helped me chose what she described as a "beanie". I do not remember the brand. They are very similar to "BUFFs" sold at many outdoor/running/walking stores. These "BUFFs" are available with UV protection which could be particularly valuable with hair loss.

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited August 2017
    Options

For the Boise Idaho area two shops that were very helpful and friendly were: Angels in Your Corner 4111 West State (208) 345-1551; and Kathy's Wig Boutique 17 North Orchard St. (208)-376-2995. I did cold capping and even though I lost more hair than I thought I would, both the Oncologist and surgeon were impressed by how much I still had and are advocating having the clinic provide the FDA approved coldcapping in the clinic. The woman at Angels in Your Corner was particularly helpful and even knew about cold capping. After looking at several options, including wigs, she helped me chose what she described as a "beanie". I do not remember the brand. They are very similar to "BUFFs" sold at many outdoor/running/walking stores. These "BUFFs" are available with UV protection which could be particularly valuable with hair loss.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited August 2017
    Options

bluegirlredstate - there is another company that sells a product similar to BUFFS, called Hoorag. I live in FL and a lot of the fishing guides use these, including my DD. Here is a link. They have men's and women's patterns, and even a breast cancer one - if desired.

https://www.hoorag.com/womens-bandanas/

• Littlemouse
    Littlemouse Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi girls!

I highly recommend Godivas Secret wigs out of California! Super nice people and the wigs look awesome!! When I lost my hair I found them and they are so sweet! Also headcover.com for hats, etc are good 😊 Good luck to all and also remember your hair will come back!! (Had to remind myself of that many times!)

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thanks All for your continued suggestions and inspirations!

• BellasMomToo
    BellasMomToo Member Posts: 93
    edited August 2017
    Options

I ordered my scarves from the tlcdirect website. I liked the pre-tied scarfs, but my favorite was the "Solid Cotton Headscarf with Brim". It was perfect for warm sunny days because it was much cooler than wearing a cap but my eyes still had sun protection.

• Littlemouse
    Littlemouse Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2017
    Options

very cute scarf!! 😉

• Thistoshallpass
    Thistoshallpass Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2017
    Options

I wore hats before I loss my hair so wearing hats was the choice I made. I found wigs were hot and no matter what they looked like a wig and while that is no different in covering up what we lose it is just that we figure out what is best for ourselves in covering up the hair loss. I HAD a lot of hair and it was excellent.... so many people would know me in a crowd from my hair. It was thick and wavy! A crazy curly mess if I just let it go ..... but when mine started matting up I knew it was coming out. That was on a Friday and I had an appt. to make an accountant call on Tues this was in Fla & in June so it was HOT. But I had a scarf covering up my hair & a hat, while it looked stylish and people complimented it, they were not aware and probably thought I was crazy in the heat with that thing. But Saturday my boyfriend who had already shaved his head to support me suggested a "hair shaving party" He read it in a book he had read about a man who had 3 women in his life go the BC and 1 of them did this. Sunday we made a call to a couple of friends to have a "hair shaving party"  and Wed we had 40 people gathered at 7pm.  I just wanted to get over the shock of when people see you for the 1st time and going through that awkward moment. And to have their support. I didn't look at it while we were all together and when we went home I looked at it and I cried. I saved the matted hair and donated it to the birds or squirrels to build a nest. I don't think they ever took it... probably looked at it and ran away.

I didn't know what we were going to do at a hair shaving party.... I made some stuff shells and we had a good time.... and one of my crazy girls had dyed her hair pink, several friends bought me a variety of scarfs and hats. And several wore crazy wild Halloween wigs. It was a memory making night that I will always treasure. June was a year ago. Jan I stopped chemo I got my "break" and my hair is coming back.... with lots of salt in the front and pepper in the back  Thick and CURLY ......before the length made the curl relax.  People say they like it and yeah it is nice but it looks like an older person hairstyle and yes I am older in years I didn't want the matching haircut to show it LOL  So many look great with the hair mine is currently but I still miss my hair and would love to see it long again. There are so many things I would like to be different but can't make those things change.  It is tough but this too shall pass (or not lol)

Good luck with whatever you decide works for you..... don't let others tell you what you need to do.... only what you want to do!

• Thistoshallpass
    Thistoshallpass Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2017
    Options

Those look great!!!!!!!!!!

• bethanywin
    bethanywin Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    Options

I'm in Los Angeles and got my wig from The Hair Shop (they also have an online store) that has a few locations around town. I went to the Wilshire Blvd. location and they were very helpful! I also ordered my favorite beanies (I wasn't a scarf or turban girl) from a company in Australia called Beau Hudson. I loved them and wear them even with my hair! They have a website. Hope this helps...

• moderators
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thank you for your post, bethanywin, and welcome to Breastcancer.org!

We hope you're also finding support and information from the community here! Please let us know if we can be of any assistance!

The Mods

• JuliaJazz
    JuliaJazz Member Posts: 175
    edited August 2017
    Options

I have a very large head.  This turban was my favorite.  Very soft, has lots of pleating for volume, comes in many colors and is so, so comfortable.  Can also be used under a scarf to provide more volume.  https://www.headcovers.com/meridian-beanie-cap-volumizer-turban-chemo-hat-cardani/

• JuliaJazz
    edited August 2017
    Options

MsLin.  Nice to see you on this thread.  Thanks for the tip. I ordered the ultimate shaper to use with some of the scarves I bought already and one new scarf to try.  We have to indulge ourselves a little bit, right?

• HopefulYogi
    HopefulYogi Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2017
    Options

my chemo center told me of a place in South Jersey, near me that will provide a free wig and styling service to cancer patients.

http://martinocartier.com/about.html

They have locations in Sewell and Cherry Hill in South Jersey. They were able to set up a consultation appt with me very quickly. My daughter went with me. Martino himself meets with you to talk about what kind,color and style of wig you would want. After I picked one out( a Racquel Welch usually around $325) with his help, he told me that when my hair started falling out or whenever I was ready to do it, I just had to call and he would shave my head for me and fit the wig and style it for me. I wanted to be proactive so I went before my 2nd chemo treatment. I didn't want to watch it fall out.

They treated me, my daughter and my mom so special.My daughter asked Martino if he could give me a Mohawk first before he took it all off. Well, he did! Then sprayed it with hairspray and made it stick straight up in the middle!! My daughter thought it was hilarious and took pictures! He joked with us and made us laugh, but NOT in an insensitive way. He was vey sweet. It turned what could have been a depressing experience into one that we can look back on and smile. It was exactly what I needed, but didn't know it before hand.

He also gave me a brush for it and some other special products in a gift bag. He told me I could call any time and he would cut or fix anything that bothered me with it after I "test drove" it for a few days or so

Definitely ask for recommendations at your cancer/chemo center, they can be very helpful.

• joyousjoey
    joyousjoey Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    Options

I went to a place called Cancierge in Edmond, Oklahoma (Edmond is a suburb of OKC).  It is by appointment, and my daughter and I went together.  The co-founder is a wealth of helpful information, and very kind.  As a breast cancer survivor, she understood.  She helped me try on several wigs, and I never felt rushed.  We were in a private room.  They will also shave my hair when I am ready to do so.  They have a variety of head coverings, and she showed me how to use all of the ones I wanted to try.  Highly recommend.  

• Cynergy520
    Cynergy520 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hello,

During Chemo I wore Chemo Hats purchased on Amazon.  They were stylish and easy to wear.  They were also not very expensive.  I was surprisingly comfortable and they helped me feel good about myself.

• moderators
    edited August 2017
    Options

joyousjoey and Cynergy520 - Welcome to Breastcancer.org and thank you for sharing your recommendations! Let us know if you need any help at all navigating the boards, we're always here!

The Mods

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hello,

If you are starting a chemo treatment that will cause the loss of your hair, please consider donating your hair beforehand.

I donated my long hair to "Pantene Beautiful Lengths" (a nonprofit) and they in turn, donate human hair wigs to the American Cancer Society. The American Cancer Society will give a patient one free human hair wig. Please call your local chapter and inquire as I am not sure that all chapters can provide this service.

Meanwhile, this is where I sent my donated hair:

https://pantene.com/en-us/experience-main-section2...

They need 8" inches minimum, no dyes, bleaches or chemicals and no more than 5% gray.

• rebecca54
    rebecca54 Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2017
    Options

Chemo beanies were my go to. Throw them on, no tying. Hated wigs! I spent big money on a natural hair wig. It was still miserable.

http://chemobeanies.com/product/christina/

• moderators
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi everyone,

We're working on two hair loss management videos and we want to include your photos!

Deadline for submission: September 8

These videos will help women facing chemo-related hair loss to emotionally and physically prepare, and to understand their options. The videos will be viewable in the Hair, Skin, and Nails section of the site by October 2017.

We're looking for any of the following:

·Photos of cutting your hair shorter

·Photos of the time period when hair was falling out

·Photos of having your head shaved

·Photos of yourself wearing synthetic or human hair wigs, hats, turbans, scarves, going "au naturel," or any other options you chose

·Photos of you using cold caps or scalp cooling systems

We welcome all photos, including those that have a sense of humor (such as the mom whose young children shaved her hair into a Mohawk)!

When submitting, please also include the following:

·Your name (we will use your first name and last initial if that is comfortable for you)

·Your city and state / city and country if non-U.S.

·The year(s) the photos were taken

·Diagnosis details if comfortable sharing (stage and type of breast cancer, HR and HER2 status) Note: This isn't required – voluntary only.

·Your email address and a phone number where we can reach you

How to submit your photos:

·If the photos were taken on your phone or digital camera, please send them in their most raw form: no Photoshop, no Instagram filters, etc.

·If you're scanning physical photos, please use a setting of at least 300 dpi and then save the photo as either a TIFF or a PNG file.

·All photos can be sent to Claire Nixon, Editorial Director at cnixon@breastcancer.org. She will respond to you promptly with more information!

Thank you and looking forward to your photo submissions!

• sorella
    sorella Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2017
    Options

I got a pamphlet from my center for softhats.com which works out of Philadelphia but is mail order only. She is nice and helpful, quick and has discounts if you like her on facebook. I bought 2, brown and black and wore them a lot. I also went to the American Cancer Society's feel good workshop and learned how to make turbans out of old tshirts which you can youtube.

• JuliaJazz
    edited August 2017
    Options

Following the rec of one of my pals on this forum I tried wrapunzel.com and am in love.   I may become a scarf afficionado and though I hope to have a full (although still short) head of hear in six months time, you may find me wearing scarves on bad hair days for years to come. In this photo I am wearing an undergarment called the Wrapunzel Ultimate Shaper which give more volume for those with short or no hair (as if I had put my hair up in a bun) and the Wrapunzel Signature Scarf. 

• Icandoallthings
    Icandoallthings Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2017
    Options

Id love suggestions.

I just found out I'm having a re-occurrence. I went through a lumpectomy, and TC last year and I used cold caps to keep my hair. This time, Im doing AC-T which will be a much longer drawn out form and I just cant imagine cold capping weekly.

SO Im looking for suggestions. Ive looked up wigs, but the real human hair ones are SO expensive. Are they worth the investment? Im assuming I will only need it for like 6 months? Should I get one? Or would synthetic work?

• JuliaJazz
    edited September 2017
    Options

Most people say synthetic are much better.  Real human hair wigs have bad hair days just like people.  In many places the American Cancer Society will even provide you with a free wig. Also there are many lovely hats and scarves.  Some of us (like me) find wigs just too hot and heavy and don't even go there but do check out the synthetic ones and free options before you spend a lot of money.  We'll be thinking of you as you deal with chemo again.

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 679
    edited September 2017
    Options

buffusa.com

I didn't wear scarves, I thought it just screamed "chemo patient" and I didn't want the sympathy or unsolicited advice from strangers.

But I ordered a short wig online, paid less than 100$ for it, and it looked better than any other $300 wig I tried on. I also bought a ball cap with longer hair velcroed into it and that worked for the gym.

As soon as my hair began to grow back--I mean like 1/2 inch--I ditched all head coverings. I still can't bring myself to wear hats even after all this time.

• GardenWalker
    GardenWalker Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2017
    Options

I wore a synthetic wig part of the time. I got my wig at Hope's Boutique (shop at Stephanie Spielmam Breast Cancer Center Ohio State Wexner). They were wonderful kind, good sizing & with recommendations for comfort. Best comfort helper was a stocking cap made from tan stockings under wig. Helped, itching, wig heat & stopped sweating. Most of the time I wore large oversized soft cotton sailor/ fishing type hatswithout my wig. They were cool, comfy. I got them at Kohls.

• GardenWalker
    GardenWalker Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2017
    Options

My synthetic wig was great, cooler than real hair, could be washed, stayed nice for entire treatment.

• moderators
    edited September 2017
    Options

You look great in the head wrap, JuliaJazz!!