Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Looking for your recommendations: Wigs, hats, turbans, and more

Options
13»

Comments

• caligirl55
    caligirl55 Member Posts: 407
    edited September 2017
    Options

I went to Hollywod Wigs here in Fresno, CA. The owner has dedicated her life to helping women with cancer. She was always fun and so encouraging. She sells caps, scarfs, hats and about every head covering you can think of. I bought 2 wigs but just never liked wearing either one. I wore caps and scarfs mainly. I sometimes just went in to see her and feel better about myself.

• Lumpie
    Lumpie Member Posts: 1,553
    edited September 2017
    Options

I love reading everyone's tips. In my prior post, I totally forgot to post a favorite of mine! Chemo Diva:

http://chemodiva.com/

They actually take *your own hair* and attach it to a lingerie-like cap to make it into what I call a "wig-lette" that you can wear under a cap or scarf. It is really amazing because it is your own hair. I felt very "at home" in mine.... and just felt like it made me look much more human. One of my co-workers came up to me after I had been wearing it for a while and said, "I can't get over how much that looks like your hair." She was really confused when I told her it WAS my hair! Then I explained... Not cheap, but this was the best discretionary cancer related expenditure I made. (It was a gift from a dear friend, actually... bless her!) Cut segments of hair need to be at least 7 inches long (mine were exactly 7 inches! with not a cm to spare). I went to Hair Cuttery and they were happy to trim it according to specification.... and shape up what was left. Chemo Diva's halos are highly recommended!

(If I can dredge up a picture, I will post it.)

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited September 2017
    Options

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but if you like scarves, Anokhi, has some beautiful ones that are both oversized and lightweight, non-slip 100% cotton voile.

http://www.anokhiusa.com/all_scarves/index.html

I also second the recommendation for Raquel Welch wigs. They do gradient colors exceptionally naturally.

Also, if budget is an issue, check with your local American Cancer Society office. In most locations they offer donated wigs free of charge, either through their Look Good Feel Better classes, or at their offices.

• BeagleMom3
    BeagleMom3 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017
    Options

Great place to order wigs: PaulaYoung.com

Nice quality and inexpensive! I kind of went overboard buying wigs, but I decided that, if I was going to do this, I was going to have fun doing it!

Judy

• logang
    logang Member Posts: 144
    edited September 2017
    Options

For anyone near Columbus Ohio, Hope's Boutique at the Stephanie Spielman Comprehensive Breast Center has a lot of wigs and head coverings.

Smile

• Fort1984
    Fort1984 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017
    Options

I live in Georgetown, SC. I have several wigs and hats that I would be interested in donating. Could you help me with that?

• ame529
    ame529 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017
    Options

I wore baseball hats until I lost a majority of my hair, by the end of the day though I did notice that my head had started to hurt.

I was lucky enough to get a wig through my insurance, I went to a local wig shop in my town. I tried on many wigs until I found one that looked like my original hair. It just looks like I went to the salon and had highlights put in. I don't know the name of it but it is a Louis Ferre and its a lace front.
    it took a little to get used to but I feel that its very comfortable and makes me feel a little more normal with everything going on.

• Maggiemoo63
    Maggiemoo63 Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2017
    Options

In northern WI we are offered free wigs at the cancer center. I choose to wear a kavu hat as I can tighten the back as the hair thins out. It dries out quickly , cool to wear in the summer and has a longer bill. It is more outdoors looking. I didn't lose all my hair so wearing a cap is a good choice for me.

• MakeupLover
    MakeupLover Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2017
    Options

I'm in the Monmouth County area in NJ and went to Wigful Thinking in Hamilton, NJ. They are lovely and so so helpful!

I highly recommend them. They take the time to see what you want and make you feel comfortable. Once my wigs (I got 2) arrived, they even shaved off what little was left of my hair. They teach you how to put on the wig and how to take care of it. And they help with insurance claims as well.

They are the best!

• lizabethm
    lizabethm Member Posts: 105
    edited November 2017
    Options

Richmond, Virginia "Planet Hair" the owner if a breast cancer survivor and she is wonderful!! Beautiful wigs, too!

• Lumpie
    edited November 2017
    Options

Fort1984, that is nice of you to consider donating your wigs. You might check to see if a local cancer center or American Cancer Society office accepts donations of gently previously worn wigs. I know our local hospital tries to keep some available for patients starting chemo, especially if the added expense of wigs would present a hardship. If you don't find a place locally, PM me and I will check on whether they are able to accept shipments....

• lrwells50
    lrwells50 Member Posts: 74
    edited November 2017
    Options

I got a wig before my hair fell out so the woman fitting it could pick something close to my hair. (Or I should say close to my dyed hair.) I got a Rene of Paris lace front (?) wig, and nobody had a clue it wasn’t my hair. I bought several hats and scarves, and didn’t end up wearing any of them.

• scaligirl
    scaligirl Member Posts: 37
    edited November 2017
    Options

I have several wraps, beanies, slouchies and by far my favorites are these: Qunson 2 Pack Women's Printed Baggy Slouchy Beanie. Amazon for 12.99.

They are super soft. Made like an infinity scarf it has two layers so is also reversible. You can actually just turn it inside slowly to get to the part of the pattern you like. They are light but will keep you warm. Very comfy and I've gotten a lot of compliments on them too.

• notinuse
    notinuse Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi, my recommendation for the UK is Simply Wigs. Their return policy is excellent and so is their customer service. I have 2 wigs from them, both the same but just a different colour. I have a blonde one, Rose Gold R and also the Pastel Blue R. The wig is called Evanna, the style, thickness and wave is identical to my natural hair so I feel quite fortunate to have found a wig so similar. I couldn't find the exact shade of blonde the same as mine as I am a honey golden blonde naturally. The Rose Gold R is great and near enough, however the roots are quite dark. I have found both wigs extremely comfortable. I had my hair shaved off 2 weeks prior to chemo and began wearing the wigs then. I am still wearing them most days, even during chemo with no irritation so far. I am dousing my scalp wth Organic Pure Argan oil as well as Rosemary Oil which I believe is helping greatly. The wigs have helped my confidence no end. I had the Blue one before beginning chemo and before I had my hair shaved off. I had everything in place which worked well for me.

I'll attach a photo of the blue one for you...I had a fringe cut into the wig as well as some layers...

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited December 2017
    Options

Super Cute!!!

• Swewing
    Swewing Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2017
    Options

I went to Brenda Kay Hair Specialties in Portland Oregon. She told me to come in while I had my hair so we could match a wig to it. I’m so happy with my wig! See below, one of these photos is my wig!image

• buttonsmachine
    buttonsmachine Member Posts: 339
    edited January 2018
    Options

For wigs in the US, Heather and the team at cysterwigs.com are amazing. They have a great selection of wig brands, great customer service, and great return/exchange policies. Not to mention lots of sales and exclusive deals when you sign up for their email list. Heather makes video reviews of wigs that are super informative and give many more details about each wig (i.e. How poufy is the wig? How dense is the hair? How coarse/fine is the hair? Human vs. synthetic hair? What exactly is that wig color?). This allows customers to make an informed choice and get the wig they really want, not just the wig that looks good on the model. I learned so much from cysterwigs.com and I get all my wigs there now.

CysterWigs.com

• sswp
    sswp Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2018
    Options

I had a great experience at the Wig Boutique in Edmonton. They have a great selection of high quality synthetic wigs. They really took the time to help me find wigs that work for me. I had tried a couple of wig shops before them & became very discouraged. So grateful for the help I got from the Wig Boutique.

• oceanbum
    oceanbum Member Posts: 3,644
    edited January 2018
    Options

I bought all kinds of ball caps, scarves, straw hats, bandanas & I got a wig in anticipation of losing my hair. In the end I mainly only wore the scarves. And I liked the pre-tied ones the best. I liked the ease and convenience of having them pre-tied. I did wear some bandanas and a few ball caps and my straw hats on the weekends. But the day in and day out for work were always scarves. I got them at Headcovers and TLC. I had a couple of weddings in the fall that I anticipated wearing my wig for but by the time they happened my hair had started growing just enough that I went without anything! And one of those wedding was my oldest daughter's!! She said she didn't care if I was bald and had drains - the only thing that mattered is that I was there!! But thankfully, I had no drains and my hair had come in enough to sport a spikey little do!!

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    edited January 2018
    Options

I wore ball caps and bandanas until my hair started growing in. Had a wig and only wore it a couple of times.

• magari
    magari Member Posts: 335
    edited February 2018
    Options

I will add to the recommendations for Cysterwigs - as both a shopping site and information resource. https://cysterwigs.com/

Lots of photos of actual customers in many styles/colors of wigs. Video reviews by the owner that show the cap construction of virtually everything they carry as well as tips on color, how to wash, etc. A knowledge base with info on brand sizing, super helpful customer service desk to answer questions via e-mail, an online community, and more. Very generous exchange policy and coupons as well. They sell a few hats, turbans, etc. in addition to wigs and toppers.

• StubbornDog
    StubbornDog Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2018
    Options

@scaligirl, I have those exact ones! Love them - they are very comfortable and not too tight like some others. I wear them with fake bangs. Thank you for sharing because mine were a gift from a friend and I've wanted to find more in different colors. Now I know where to look!!

• Barbeqrn
    Barbeqrn Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hiphats with Hair....so comfortable and I was able to continue to work out without worrying about hair falling off!

• Lumpie
    edited December 2018
    Options

I haven't actually bought one of these - but I am thinking about it. This small company has a really interesting product:

https://thinhairthick.com/

I thought I would post the link so others can explore. This product would be more appropriate for people with thinning or whose hair has not fully returned. It won't provide enough coverage for total hair loss. I find wigs very uncomfortable so the idea of hair on a headband is very attractive. Alas, they are not inexpensive.

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    edited February 2020
    Options

Try a wig headband. It is great. Velvet with Velcro closure so it will fit most head sizes. Tiny elastic band on wig sits on this so it doesn't cut into your head after several hours. And the wig feels snugly in place, no more twisting. I wore it bald & now with 1/2 inch of hair. Performs well with both. Mine is called WiGrip. Found at nice wig store. Have seen similar online.

• foreverlooking46
    foreverlooking46 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Anyone here have experience with High Definition Hair? Looking for real world customers and their experience. Preferable those that got the wig post treatment without hair and continued to use it as hair grew back. Please DM me.

Thanks!