Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Repeat surgeries? Please share your experience -

Options

Comments

• Herculesmulligan
    Herculesmulligan Member Posts: 61
    edited November 2017
    Options

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LXXVE7U/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1511266967&sr=8-16&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=maidenform+shapewear

Also this is a link to the least uncomfortable compression garment I found.

• Sunrisefish
    Sunrisefish Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks for the post Hercules. I saw my PS today, and fortunately he said I could stop wearing the Velcro compression garment. He said my spanx is fine for the next two weeks, then I don't have to wear anything. I don't mind the spanx so much. Mine isn't too terribly tight.

That's a good question as to whether I'd do this again. I think it has to do with how much of the fat survives. I don't expect my breasts to be perfect. However, I did have a lot of rippling especially in the radiated one. I could not only feel it, but I could see it. I can still feel the implant, especially in certain positions, but it looks and feels much better. If they stay like this, this is good enough for me. But, if a lot of the fat dies I may do it again. I don't think I would do it again anytime soon. I'd wait at least a year. I'm just done for now! Every surgery is physically and emotionally exhausting, even the easier ones.

• decaturpen
    decaturpen Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2017
    Options

Have had a silcone implant on left side and reduction of right breast, very pleased with reduction, but this is over two years now, the the implant is about 4 inches higher than the right breast, and just a big mound, not breast shaped at all, it looks grotesque. Looks like one of those domes they put in the street to keep you in your lane. I feel like it would have been better and two less surgeries to not have an implant at all. I don't know what to do about it, has anyone had the implant removed and the chest just smoothed out? I am 77, and I hate the way this looks with a bulge high on one side and a normal looking breast on the other. The implant feels heavy too, and the chest wall sometimes feels really tight like an elastic band contricting the left side. Anyone?? have an opinion?

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    edited November 2017
    Options

decaturpen, it sounds like you may have capsular contracture. Maybe see a PS about options. If it is CC, it will only worsen with time.

Good luck!

• Sunrisefish
    Sunrisefish Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2017
    Options

hi Decatur, I agree with VegGal, it sounds like you have capsular contraction. A plastic surgeon can fix it in a short surgery to replace the implant. Don't suffer with It! You have options to fix it. When I had my fat grafting on Monday, he replaced one of my implants because he thought it didn't settle correctly on the chest wall. Recovery from replacing the implant was super easy. I have virtually no pain from it and can't tell anything wss even done.

• decaturpen
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks heaps for the information, it was really helpful to read your posts!

• Herculesmulligan
    edited November 2017
    Options

Notverybrave, an update: today I'm two weeks out from fat grafting. I feel pretty good. Just some tenderness in my belly when I touch it. I'm wearing normal pants again. Still in the compression band over my belly and sleeping on my back.

My results are pretty good. Definitely some subtle rippling is creeping back in at my most rippled spot(boo!) but still ok. My belly looks pretty much the same. I had hopes of a flat stomach but you really can't tell any fat was lost. Oh well. But given my experience right now I'd still do it again. My plastic surgeon would like to do another round but if things stay this way I don't think I will.

Are you scheduled for further procedures?

• LRGinger
    LRGinger Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences. I’m scheduled for fat grafting in January and reading your stories helps. Question: I may need to travel overseas 3 weeks after the procedure. Is this doable or should I look at rescheduling? Thanks for any advice.

• NotVeryBrave
    NotVeryBrave Member Posts: 169
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hey Hercules - Glad to hear you're doing well. I hope the tummy soreness is soon gone. How long do you have to wear the compression belt and sleep on your back?

It seems like some PS's are much more serious than others about not taking more fat than is needed for fear of it being considered a "cosmetic" procedure. If things look the same then maybe that's kind of good since one of my fears is that I'd end up with dents and ripples in my belly to match the ones on my breasts! Although I do understand not wanting to do a surgery for nothing!

I have no plans for further surgery. I daydream about it sometimes. I think if I felt or looked worse then I would. And maybe if I felt better then I might. But right now - I worry that I'll be less happy afterwards or something else will go wrong.

I'd like to cover the ripples and dents and I wish the one implant hadn't turned, but maybe I'll just wait until the next advance comes along. And let my body continue to heal from this last year. I still feel like these implants are too wide, but don't know if I'd trust anyone to improve things.

• Herculesmulligan
    edited November 2017
    Options

LRGinger: I don't think it'll be any problem to travel at 3 weeks out. Just remember to be careful with all the bag carrying involved in travel. My plastic surgeon said no upper body exercise for 6 weeks.

Not very brave: I know just what you mean when you say you'd like to get rid of the dents and ripples but you're not sure about another surgery. The compression band and sleeping on my back are for 4 weeks.

One thing that surprised me about other people's reaction to my fat grafting was that an element of judgement crept in, where I didn't feel that after the exchange surgery. ( which also was elective). It surprised me and made me think that if I do another round I'll keep it more to myself

• lynae23
    lynae23 Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hello ladies..I have a question for you all. I have my exchange Nov 1 with fat grafting from my hips and wore my spanx for 3 weeks and just took them off (without knowing how long I really need to wear them because I felt like it was time). Any of you have this same procedure and if so how long were you told to wear them? My PS is not very informative and I forgot to ask him in my apt right after surgery. I am also wearing a bralette type bra that is almost like a sports bra but maybe not as tight. Just wondering if I need to get something a bit tighter? I am going to see my PS this Thurs because I feel like my left implant is shifting under my arm and sticking out a bit. I want him to look at it but he is like some of your PS's and always says "oh it's fine you will change so much over the next few months" and does not really listen. I will see what he says Thurs but if I am not comfortable with what he tells me I may need to look into changing PS. It is just so frustrating and we want all of this to be done and over but it seems by reading the blogs that we are not "done" with all of this recon for awhile.

Anywho, please let me know your thoughts-especially on the spanx. Maybe I should continue to wear them ha.

Thanks!

• Herculesmulligan
    edited November 2017
    Options

Lynae, my surgeon said 4 weeks fir the spanx but my fat was harvested from my belly so I don't know if that makes a difference.

• Shoregirl
    Shoregirl Member Posts: 338
    edited December 2017
    Options

Lynae, my ps said 6 weeks compression on fat harvest areas. And one of the members on this forum mentiond massaging the lipoed areas gently starting about 5 days after the lipo. This is to prevent the area from geting lumpy. I can tolerate my spanx fine. I got the high waisted *just beneath IMF) long shorts. Some people say get them 1-2 sizes too small. Not me, I got an XL, I wear a size 6 pants and the XL gives me very good compression but not to the point I can't breathe.

I posted the following on the pre pec thread, but since it really belongs here on the repeat surgery site here it is.

Hi ladies, I had my revision Wednesday. My ps switched my implants from Inspira SCX 470 (xtra full projection) to Sientra smooth round 440cc full not xtra full. They are wider at the base. With the Inspira line, the more projection you have the narrower the base. This made the implants "top heavy". If you hold one in your hand you can see how easily they can flip over backwards. I always thought my implants were too narrow. They just stuck straight out forward from my chest and my sides were completely flat. My original equipment had some projection out to the side laterally (side boob) which I thought looks better.

Ps said when she took the Inspiras out, she noticed the left side had an appropriate amount of Alloderm that had incorporated into my tissue. But the right side only had a tiny piece of Alloderm. This may have contributed to the flipping too. So she injected a bunch of fat between the skin and the pockets, added a sheet of Alloderm to the right side, tightened the pockets to accomodate the smaller implants, and tightened the exterior skin anchoring them to my chest wall better. She said my right IMF was 2cm higher than my left. She fixed that too.

I really like the looks of them so much better than the Inspira SCX. They look much more natural, not jutting out abruptly from my chest. Ps said when she sat me up in the OR with the Sientras the 2 nurses in the OR said they want those boobs!! The fat grafting I am in love with!! She did the upper poles, but also over the entire surface of the implants. Completely got rid of the cold clammy feel of the implants beneath my skin, which was very important to me. They are soft(er) the Inspiras were very firm because they have such a high fill ratio. The new Sientras are nice and warm like real breasts with that fat covering them. She said I could have another round of fg as early as 6 weeks from now. But I think I will wait 3 months, give the swelling a chance to subside.

Did I mention before that had I seen her 1st I probably would have been able to keep my nipples? I think the first ps took them off because it is easier for him. Gave him a clean canvas, thats what the Nurse Navigator told me. So I am pretty annoyed about that. But the new ps will make new nips for me down the road.

I am pretty sore from the fg, but not as bad as I was expecting. I am definately up for more fg in the future. If I had my way I wouldn't have implants at all, just fat. Ps said she can do the additional fg in her office, no more OR!! The crazy thing is, Ps said I don't have to sleep on my back! But I have been anyway. all propped up on pillows. I am going to do everything I can to let these babies get stable in their pockets and keep the fat alive.

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    edited December 2017
    Options

lynae- I had fat grafting done beginning of Nov as well as some other revisions. I woke up in a girdle that I was to wear for 2 weeks then I could switch to spanx for the next 4 weeks. It's a high waisted number that goes to my knees. When I asked how tight it should feel, the PS grasped my thigh right above my knee pretty firmly-reminded me of the grip you'd have on your boyfriend's arm in a scary movie during the scary parts as a teenager. Hope that helps!

• Bird-of-light
    Bird-of-light Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2017
    Options

shoregirl, did you go over or under the muscle

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited December 2017
    Options

lynae - my PS likes 8 weeks in compression, with no exercise other than walking. If you have had FG over the surface of the "breast" you don't want to compress it. The fat needs to form vascularity to survive so you don't want anything that applies too much pressure. I also advise massage to the donor areas - pretty aggressively. This keep firmness from developing that can take quite a while to go away.

• Shoregirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

First, let me say I am sorry for being insensitive by talking negatively about the Inspira SCX. I know many ladies have them and love them. They just didn't work for me. I am slim but have broad shoulders and a wide ribcage. The Inspiras were just too narrow for my frame.

Bird, my implants are above the muscle.

SpecialK, I want to say thank you. It was because of your story and our conversations that I sought a female ps that would be willing to do extensive fg. I am over the moon happy with the difference the fat made!! At what point do you start massaging? Mine is still pretty sore to the touch but I do rub lightly whenever I take the spanx down to use the restroom.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited December 2017
    Options

shoregirl - I wouldn't worry about your opinion on the Inspiras - all information is good information even if it is an individual negative review - it adds to the collective wisdom. I am so very happy for you that you found a doc that had the skill and knowledge to find what would work for you - yay! Yay, yay, yay! Even though it is uncomfortable massage asap - what you are working on is keeping serous fluid generated from by the injurious motion of the lipo cannula from filling those tunnels - you can end up with a seroma just like a breast surgery. Every time you think about it get in there and really press firmly to keep that from happening. Not gonna lie - it will hurt!

• Shoregirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks SpecialK :) Okay, I will press harder on the fg sites. Fluid in the tunnels does not sound fun!! Thank you for warning me about the pain...

• Shoregirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Well, I have had a few bumps in the road. About 7 days post op, on a Thursday the left side of my left breast developed a big red area, from top to bottom. I emailed a pic to my ps and she called me right away and put me on oral antibiotics. She said if I was no better by Monday she would put me on IV antibiotics. She texted me on Saturday to see how I was doing, I thought that was very good of her! The redness has subsided, so thankfully we caught it in time! But then, a few days later on Dec 10 I came down with sudden onset severe shoulder pain. Pain upon movement either raising arm to side, or front, or reaching behind me to put shirt/jacket on. Even pulling up my Spanx became a problem. I had my 2 week post op this Wednesday, and ps said she felt like if it was frozen shoulder due to surgery it would have happened sooner.

I have had several random, unexplained tendon issues this year. First a tendon in the wrist, not the Carpal tunnel, can't remember the name. Anyway, after months of suffering I finally went to orthopedic and he injected it. What a relief!! But then I developed bilateral elbow tendonitis last summer. It took over a year to heal. I couldn't even rest my elbow on the car door with the window down. Picking up a glass of water was painful. During that time, I also developed "trigger thumb". Again, I suffered several months then relented and went to the ortho for an injection. Thankfully it worked. A month before my revision, I went back to the ortho as I had been suffering with bilateral hip pain that kept me from sleep. I wanted to be able to get plenty of rest and be strong for my surgery. I had been going to PT but not getting better. I was diagnosed with moderate arthritis on the left hip, and mild arthritis on the right, with a severe case of bursitis on the right. Again, an injection of Cortisone was given and I was able to finally sleep at night. I continued PT, gaining strength in preparation for surgery. I did gain strength, but wasn't really making progress in my symptoms. So I went back to the ortho, they x-rayed my spine and found Spondylolisthesis - a condition where a vertebrae slips down over the one below it in my lumbar spine. He sent me for an MRI, but I had to wait for the results til after my breast surgery. I saw him last week, and he told me I have severe stenosis, where my spinal canal is narrowed by my arthritis and bulging discs. He explained that is why I develop severe hip pain after being on my feet a long time. Told me I just need to take frequent breaks from standing and walking and sit for a while so my canal can decompress. He wanted to do an injection in my spine, an Epidural. He said if the epidural doesn't work, they will repeat it and if it still doesn't work than a back surgery is in my future. I was all set to go get the epidural but the breast infection came up and they won't do the injection while I am on antibiotics. And now suddenly the shoulders. I just don't get all these soft tissue inflammations, and I am getting really anxious about it. The doctors don't seem to think its any big deal, just whip out their needles and shoot me up with Cortisone. I have to find out why this is happening.

I told my ps I can't even pull up my Spanx due to the shoulder pain and she said such a small amt of lipo was done that I could switch to lycra/spandex yoga pants. Even pulling those up hurts. Has anyone here had frozen shoulders? I did a self test I found online and my symptoms are right on with that dx. I just wonder if it is related to surgery or if like ps said 10 days post op is kind of late for it to be related. I read online that you shouldn't let it go for months, but go for treatment right away. The treatment.. more injections and PT.

What kind of doctor could help me get to the bottom of all these random issues? I am awake now at 4 am because on top of everything else I caught a nasty cold while out Christmas shopping and have been lounging on the couch all day so now can't sleep.

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited December 2017
    Options

Shoregirl, wow you are really going through a lot right now.

To answer your question about a frozen shoulder - I had it after my BMX, but I didn't know what it was and didn't know who to ask about it. I was undergoing treatment at a lymphedema clinic for slight swelling. He gave me some stretching exercises and also had me do light weights, but my arm got worse instead of better. I tried using different PTs at different clinics. One PT told me doing weights was detrimental, but I didn't like their approach for LE so went to a another therapist who was able to reduce the swelling, but my shoulder got worse. I finally got directed back to my breast surgeon's team who referred me to physical medicine and rehab in my cancer clinic. That doc wanted to do some injections into the armpit, but I declined. She said that frozen shoulder will resolve on it's own over time. I didn't have to wait long. After my reconstruction surgery it was magically improved. So....maybe they "yanked" the shoulder back into place?

The recommendations you were given - injections and more PT - sounds about right. I personally believe my frozen shoulder was related to surgery. They have to move your arm up out of the way and then you are in that position for hours. I think that during my reconstruction, they somehow moved the shoulder in such a way that it became "unfrozen." I know that's not a very scientific explanation, but that's all I got. All I know is that I was in a world of pain for a long time and it was hard to sort it all out because I didn't find the right therapist at the right time, which is key.

Best of luck to you!

• Mammabear
    Mammabear Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    Options

Shoregirl I have had two frozen shoulders. The first one started after I had a long procedure on my left breast where I had my arm above my head for a long time. It started out just a bit stiff, then got progressively more stiff and incredibly painful over the next few weeks/months. I tried everything to get it moving again. Physio, cortisone injections etc. Nothing really worked. I think some of the aggressive physio work just made it worse. It is frozen until it decides to unfreeze. It took about 18 months before I recovered. It was very frustrating and I never believed it could take so long, but it is pretty good now. I almost have full movement back. I am sure that the original breast surgery caused the frozen shoulder.

The second frozen shoulder happened after I broke my right shoulder skiing. After 6 weeks in a sling the right shoulder didn’t want to move at all. It is now about 12months after the freeze and i can do most things again. I see a physio about once every three weeks to try to get it moving.

In the meantime I have had a double mastectomy! I think the mastectomy must have delayed the shoulder recovery, but I don’t think it made it worse. My surgeon was very aware of the shoulder problem so I think she was very careful about the position of my arms during surgery.

Frozen shoulders are incredibly painful and impact on just about every part of your life. I couldn’t put a bra on (try front openers), I had trouble sleeping, I couldn’t brush my hair and at one stage even had trouble eating (as I couldn’t lift the spoon to my mouth). I would recommend you find a really good physio who has experience with frozen shoulders to get a proper diagnosis

• NotVeryBrave
    edited December 2017
    Options

Shoregirl - Wow! I've had many of the same problems. Is it a Maryland thing?

Once upon a time, I had both my right hip and left shoulder acting up. I saw a rheumatologist because I was having some other vague issues and my mother has Fibromyalgia. He said the hip was bursitis and the shoulder was tendinitis. He did nothing for me. The shoulder took a long time to get better, but it wasn't horrible. The hip I've had trouble with my whole life, off and on. I think there's something wrong with the alignment or such. I eventually saw an orthopedist who injected it and had complete relief within a day that lasted for probably 6 months or more. It's never been as bad again.

I developed an infection in the left breast 5 weeks after surgery. My PS sent me straight to the hospital and I had 3 days of IV antibiotics along with the threat of losing the implant. I left the hospital on 2 oral antibiotics for 2 weeks - ordered by the infectious disease doctor. About a week into that I started having pain in my wrists, elbows, and knees. Even my fingers felt odd - they were swollen in the morning and occasionally locked up. The ID doctor told me to stop the one antibiotic (Cipro) as there are known SE's to tendons.

I had been on Cipro a few years before for a UTI and developed a painful nodule on the arch of my foot. My PCP at the time dismissed it, but I quit the medicine since I was almost done, no longer symptomatic, and had found the info related to Cipro online.

So - my problems continued to get worse throughout my body even off the Cipro this time. I started to wonder if it was some kind of weird long term reaction to my Herceptin and skipped one infusion to see. I added Calcium and Magnesium to my supplements to help my muscles and, perhaps by default, my tendons. Nothing helped and my MO, PCP, and the ID had no answers. I ended up seeing a rheumatologist. He put me on Meloxicam which helped a little with the wrists. Then he gave me a Medrol dose pack. That made a huge difference!

All except my right shoulder, which had gotten worse during treatment and seemed different than the other places. I really thought I had injured it by reaching across the driver's seat with moderately heavy items while getting in the car each day. The rheumatologist injected it and that did nothing. I finally saw an orthopedist about it. At first they said rotator cuff injury and wanted me to start PT, but I knew it felt worse with activity. I had an MRI that showed some fraying of one tendon and a possible tear of another. When I went back, the ortho said it was frozen shoulder and gave me two more shots - incredibly painful. He also wanted me to start PT. I did not.

My shoulder is much better now. Once the pain got better after the last shots, I started doing some ROM movements - very slowly. I still get some weird zinging pains now and then when I do certain things, but I don't have constant pain.

I really attribute my problems to Cipro and will never take that drug again. I don't think my shoulder was related to BMX although that can be a cause. Mine occurred 4 months after surgery and I had had great ROM with PT about 4 weeks after the surgery.

I would recommend seeing a rheumatologist about all of these issues.

• Shoregirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks you ladies for your responses!

BC101, that is so weird that yours resovled after surgery. I had no idea they moved our arms up and out of the way, I don't even want to IMAGINE the surgery at all!! But I am glad to hear yours resolved.

Mammabear, 18 months..yikes, that is about how long my elbow tendonitis lasted. I can see how the shoulder would take a long time to heal as it is our most mobile joint. Sorry you had such a hard time with it. I have heard Cortisone works on 50% of the people, 50% of the time. I know when I had a knee injected it didn't work, but it was torn Meniscus so I guess it wouldn't, it just wasn't dxd at the time they injected it. Had to have arthroscopic surgery. But thankfully the injections have worked very well for me, so I will probably give it a go. Glad to hear you are doing better!

Brave, I just don't get it! I literally feel like I am falling apart....since moving to MD lol!!! You have been through as much as I have!! My stepfather is a holistic MD. He specializes in Lyme Disease. When I first moved to back to MD in 2014 I told him of my Fibromyalgia dx and spine problems. He did a blood test for Lyme, said often people dx'd w/Fibro actually have Lyme. It came back partially positive. He explained there is a 70% false neg result w/that test, so he did clinical evaluation and was convinced I had Lyme. I grew up in VA on a horse farm and had my fair share of tick bites. So he put me on several powerful antibiotics and antiparasite drugs which I took for 17 months. I did have improvement in my symptoms (basically widespread pain, stiffness, night sweats) but just couldn't bear taking antibiotics any longer so I took myself off the protocol. This was fall of 2015. By June of 2016, I could barely walk. My back and hips were completely locked up. I was sent to pain mgmt and they put me on percocet and ordered SI joint injections and pt. It helped a bit. Then I met a lady down in Jupiter FL who advised me to get rid of gluten, sugar, and dairy from my diet as they all cause inflammation. Within 2 weeks I felt amazing!! But I left Jupiter, and am not disciplined enough to keep it up, plus its hard to eat like that and cook for a 220lb 6'1" man!! So, I know I have a lot of inflammation in my body. I may go back to my stepdad to revisit the Lyme issue, but I am very hesitant as the treatment just can't be good for you!! All those antibiotics for endless months!! I had actually thought of going to a Rheumatologist, may do that.

I did end up going to my PCP Friday as I couldn't bear going the weekend feeling like crap with the head/chest cold. I told her about the frozen shoulder as well. She looked at my throat, said it looks good even though it is raw and hurt like hell to swallow. She said it is just inflammation and prescribed Prednisone taper 2 pills for 4 days, then 1 pill 4 days then 1/2 pill 4 days, saying it would help the shoulder too. Then she ordered PT for me. After the 1st DOSE, my shoulder felt better!! It took the edge off. I still have limited ROM but not the sharp stabbing pain. The worst for me is when I bring my arm back down once it is above my head. I hear a loud snap!! I have my Shoulder orth appt this Thursday. I have to tell him about the postponed epidural, (one of the other orthos in the practice saw me for my back) I don't know if its okay to have Cortisone in my shoulder(s) and spine that close together time wise. I am still not wearing my Spanx, bad girl!! Oh, and I think some fat is dying :(

LOL, I always have the longest posts!! Smile

• valw
    valw Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    Options

Need some advice from ladies who finished Stage 2 revisions, please. Just had SGAP Stage 2. I am in shock because just saw new breasts. Discussed C/D cup size with surgeon with upper pole fullness. These are small flat almost B cups, with nothing on top of breast. Flat upper chest. Only B on lower pole of breast. Was a lifelong natural C or C+ cup and wanted C+ or D.

So disappointed. Haven't seen surgeon for the post-op visit yet. How can tell him that I can't believe that this is the result? Breast mounds after Stage 1 were full C cups and lipofilling was supposed to increase that. What on earth can have happened and can this be fixed? Anyone come out much smaller in their Stage 2 revision?

• NotVeryBrave
    edited December 2017
    Options

Shoregirl - Ah, Lyme. That must be just about the most contentious disease there is! Lots of confusion, debate, conspiracy theories even. And the diet miracles of the moment - more fat, less fat, low carb, low sugar, no dairy, no red meat, no gluten, no additives - all seems to equal a PITA to me. And like everything BC - no real definitive answers!

A number of years ago, I found ticks on my two daughters heads that were obviously deer ticks and quite engorged. One of the girls and my son got sick with fevers, headaches, and leg joint pains about two weeks later. Neither ever had a rash. I called the pediatrician who examined them and ordered testing even though by then he didn't see any problems. They both tested positive! So three weeks of antibiotics and all's well. (I had the other daughter tested as well since I was freaking out. She was negative.)

Fast forward a few years and my son starts complaining about his knee while we're on vacation. I figure it's all the walking and playing. But when it's still bothering him weeks later - off to the doctor. They test for Lyme - negative. To ortho for X-rays then MRI then ... hey, both knees are swollen. So on to the rheumatologist. Long story short - another Lyme test later is VERY positive. And there's no way you can have this extreme swelling in joints with a negative test so something was messed up. Anyway - after being on Methotrexate for 2.5 years, we are finally starting to wean him off. He had fluid drained from one or both knees like 14 times! His case is unusual and it's termed "post Lyme reactive arthritis."

His rheumatologist thinks that there is too much emphasis by some doctors on repeatedly dosing with antibiotics when the real problem isn't live Lyme, but the body's exaggerated inflammatory response. He feels that more needs to be done to knock down that response in order to allow the affected joints to heal. I tend to believe him.

Funny - I was at the PCP on Friday as well. The girls and I got a horrible cold at Thanksgiving and just couldn't seem to shake it. Both girls ended up on antibiotics for sinus infections. I felt like I was better finally but had these tender, swollen glands under my chin and along my neck, and my jaw and temples were hurting. Now I'm on an antibiotic as well.

Glad to hear the Prednisone is helping your shoulder. Snapping doesn't sound good, though! My husband and I joke about the doctors "practicing medicine" and wonder if anyone really knows what they're doing!

• NotVeryBrave
    edited December 2017
    Options

valw - I don't know much about SGAP. That sounds very upsetting. Was stage 1 TE's? Was this supposed to be the tissue and fat grafting at the same time? I'm a little confused on the lingo.

I hope someone will come along and offer their advice soon.

• Shoregirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

valw, I am so sorry, I don't know much about sgap either. I had considered it briefly, and in my research I gathered that stage 2 was to make final adjustments to the breast shape and also repair defects at the donor site. I can't imagine why you would be smaller! I haven't heard anyone on this thread speak of having sgap, but I know there are some threads out there if you search "sgap", not sure how active they are. I pray you get everything sorted out. Please don't be hesitant to speak your truth to the ps. You must be proactive through this journey, and research, research, research! I do know the Breast Center in New Orleans (NOLA) offers free phone consults, and the website itself has tons of information and resources.

Hugs!

Brave, it is so great you had your kids checked after their tick bites. My problem is, when I was 1st exposed was back in the 1970's when Lyme was not even on the horizon, but I was never tested nor treated until 2014. I have been bitten many times since the 70's, actually 3 times this spring alone! I honestly don't know if going through retreatment at this point would do any good. Although I did do a month of Doxycycline last spring. My stepfather treated a young, teen boy in his practice that was literally wheelchair bound by Lyme. Thankfully, he made a full recovery. I think with Lyme, the sooner the treatment, the better. Again, maybe a rheumatologist is something I will explore.

• decaturpen
    edited December 2017
    Options

are you taking Anastrozole? I have various tendon and joint pains, sometimes severe, and it comes and goes for 3 years now, and Oncologist thinks it is the Anastrozole. Consuming a lot of collagen by boiling up bones and chicken feet to make a gelled broth has lessened it a good bit. I use wrist braces but haven't used anything for the shoulder pain, wrap the knees with elastic bandages helps some, but not much. Do not want to stop the Anastrozole though.

• Shoregirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

decaturpen, no treatment other than surgery for my DCIS. I was er/pr- & her2-. But I did just learn that chronic kidney disease can cause systemic inflammation. I was dx w/stage 3 CKD in 2013. Nephrologist attributes it to Ibuprofen use following my 2 neck surgeries. I can't take NSAIDS of any type since getting CKD, so was researching natural anti-inflammatory supplements such as ashwagandha and boswellia when I came across the nugget of info regarding inflammation and kidney function.

I have been reading up on bone broth as well. I can't bring myself to handle the chicken feet, so I use powdered bovine collagen added to my morning smoothies. I haven't noticed any relief though. I am sure the gelled broth is much better!