Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Repeat surgeries? Please share your experience -

Options

Comments

• GmaJoLynn
    GmaJoLynn Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2018
    Options

I really need a new PS. Would you mind sharing where you live? If I am close I would love to get your PS name. Thank You!

• AnitaLouise
    AnitaLouise Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2018
    Options

I live in Philly. Keep in mind that I had radiation on my right breast 14 years ago. That made my skin different. When the second came along I knew that I would need to have my breast removed due to the radiation. So I had both removed along with my nipples.

Let me know if you live close by.

Anitalouise

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214
    edited April 2018
    Options

GmaJoLynn- I love my new PS he’s in Chicago...if you contact whippetmom she may be able to direct you to a good surgeon in your area.

• Shoregirl
    Shoregirl Member Posts: 338
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hey all, I know this thread has been inactive for a while. I searched for topics and posts that might address my issue with no luck. So I figure maybe someone in the multiple surgery thread has had similar symptoms. I had my original implants removed and replaced with slightly smaller ones last Nov. A little fg was done at that time as well. By Feb, I was at my breast surgeon getting an ultrasound for pain in the upper pole, outer quadrant. I could feel a long, linear what I thought was a "mass" just beneath the skin. On US, the pa told me it is nothing to worry about, just a fold or crease in the implant. I was supposed to have another revision last June which would have addressed this but it got cancelled and I had to find a new ps.

New ps met with me and palpating the supposed "creased implant" beneath my skin, he informed me he thinks it is the POCKET that is creased and he may not be able to smooth it out. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so been able to get it resolved? The pain associated with it feels like nerve type pain, it comes in waves almost like a contraction so a spasm I guess, it is brief but it is intense like a hot needle. I read women posting about having a lot of "pocket work" done, but never anything specific about a creased pocket.

• Iwannacookie
    Iwannacookie Member Posts: 117
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi Shoregirl. I want to reply to your post so you know you've been heard. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this. I had a fold in my previous implant, and with every revision lots of scarring that had to be removed. I know that's not the same thing as a creased pocket, but I find it hard to believe that nothing can be done to correct, or at least ameliorate, it. Can you get yet another opinion? I hope someone else here can give you better advice. I wish you the best.

• Shoregirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

Thanks Cookie. Now I am wondering if the "crease" could in fact be scar tissue...hmmm. If I hadn't been waiting so long for this surgery date I might consider another opinion but honestly, I feel any surgeon couldn't be certain until they get in there to see what is really going on inside. Dec 4th I shall find out!! Thanks for your well wishes :)

• Yaniza
    Yaniza Member Posts: 83
    edited November 2018
    Options

Shoregirl, two weeks ago I went to have two sutures removed that were coming through my skin above my nipple towards my midline . It turned out that one of the "sutures" was a fold in the implant from the pocket being too tight . I had a revision, at the end of August, from subpectoral to prepectoral . My implants were wrapped in alloderm .

I guess my point is until my surgeon made the incision to remove the supposed suture he didn't know that there was a fold in the implant. I'm awaiting a call back from his office for a date to revise the pocket on the right side so it's not as tight and the fold will smooth out.

This sounds very similar to what you're experiencing. Good luck with everything! I'll be looking for your updates.

Yaniza

• Shoregirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

Yaniza, thank you so much for sharing that with us!! So the fold of the implant was actually coming through your skin?? Yikes!!! So was this in his office he discovered it was the implant and not a suture? Did he then have to close up the incision and wait for a date in the OR to fix it? Mine isn't coming through the skin, but I suspect only because there was fat grafting done over it. If I run my fingers lightly over the area I can follow the fold a good 5 inches long just beneath my skin. I went back to surgeon for pre-op last week. He felt the area again and is now convinced it is a fold in the implant and confident it will resolve with the swap to smaller implant. So in a way that makes me think it is as you said, the pocket too tight. It makes sense as that side is much firmer than the other.

Has anyone here gone down in size by nearly 100cc? We have settled on reducing me from current 440cc to either a 345 or 360cc, and from Full profile to Moderate. Projection going down from 5.1cm to 4.2 but retaining the same width. No fat grafting til later so I am wondering if there will be loose skin while I await the fg. The idea is to end up with roughly the same projection that I have now, but with fat filling the .9 cm difference. He thinks it will take 2-3 fg sessions done in his office surgical suite. I think I will ask over on the Exchange thread too.

Happy Thanksgiving!! :)

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited November 2018
    Options

shoregirl - I initially exchanged and had a 650cc smooth round on the right and a 600cc on the left. After some issues the left was swapped for a 500cc implant to try to lessen skin tension and I was surprised that there was so little difference visually both in the 600cc to 500cc downsize, and between the 650cc right sides and the 500cc left. I did not experience loose skin or any substantial change visually. 100ccs equals roughly 6 tablespoons but since the content is silicone it seems to occupy the pocket fairly well but you may notice a slight loss of upper pole fullness or some rippling while waiting for the FG. I later downsized further - by 200ccs, also with fat grafting, but revised the pocket and the external incisions to tighten around the smaller implants. Good luck

• Shoregirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

Interesting SpecialK, thank you! When you downsized by 200 did you try to stick with the same width? I already feel like my current set could use more "sideboob" as these are set in from my sides when looking at me head on. Even at a 12.8 width. Maybe he can adjust them out laterally a bit. So you are now at a 300cc on the one side and it still matches the 650 side or did I miss something? I am really hoping 345 is small enough for me. I initially asked for 300 but he felt it would be too small. I want to end up a B or C at the most! Ps calls it "yoga boob" lol. He thinks I will be a C with the downsize. Am currently a full D sometimes DD. Had a reduction years ago pre bc from a DD to a B and I was in heaven!! Fingers crossed. Thanks for the well wishes! :)

• Yaniza
    Yaniza Member Posts: 83
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi Shoregirl,

I was at a follow-up appointment related to the removal of the sutures (that ended up being one suture) when my plastic surgeon said he'd like to get me in sooner rather than later to revise the pocket. The fold was making a little pointy bump. I know he had been hopeful that the tightness on the right side would give way because alloderm does stretch a bit. He suggested that since I would be under general anesthetic he could do some fat grafting at the same time and I've agreed.

I just checked myself and beyond the bump I can't follow the fold, as you can, but I know there is one because it ends in this irritating bump!. I am very glad that your surgeon has agreed that you are dealing with a fold.

He is going to revise the pocket towards the midline by 2 cm or so. He had suggested doing this in March because of the tightness on my right side but now that he knows what is really going on I am grateful he wants to get to it sooner. I am a bit nervous about the fat grafting but happy to give it a go.

Cheers, Yaniza

• specialk
    edited November 2018
    Options

shoregirl - my originals, which were Mentor smooth round HP were too wide and I had too much sideboob. The 500cc implant didn’t last long, it was removed after a month and not replaced at that time. For 18 months that side was flat, and I still had the 650cc on the right. Eventually I had a TE placed on the left after a couple of fat graft surgeries to improve the skin integrity. Because that left side was so compromised it could only tolerate a 445 Inspira at exchange and the right side was downsized to match it. So both implants are approximately 200 ccs less than at my first exchange.

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    edited November 2018
    Options

Does anybody have small and/or low profile implants? I think low profile implants would be a much closer match to what I had than the implants that I got at BMX and am looking to revise. I have mentor smooth round moderate plus implants and would like to go to a wider, lower profile implant because my implant are way too narrow, but I don't want giant knockers. For whatever reason, giant knockers seems to be the norm.

SpecialK - Did the right side still look ok after downsizing?

• Shoregirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

Yaniza, I felt the fat grafting really improved both the softness of implant, thickness of my skin and provided some warmth. I want more lol!! I was a bit nervous too but it wasn't terrible. The donor sites were bruised and very sore like you worked out way too hard at the gym. My advice even if ps doesn't suggest is to wear compression type garments such as Spanx or similar. Not only does it support your tissues making it FEEL better but also helps prevent fluid build up in donor areas. I was sore for about 2 weeks but everyone is different. I am happy for you too that ps wants to get you in sooner. Best wishes!!

SpecialK I am amazed by your story!! I know you had serious challenges and the fat grafting really helped you. I am so glad everything turned out so well for you after the setbacks and delays and extra surgeries. It is very encouraging to a lot of us so thank you again for sharing! Could you say how much of a difference in bra cup it made to go down 200cc to the 440? I know its different for everyone due to body frame etc but I am curious. Now I kind of wish I had asked for wider implants. Too late now, it would postpone my surgury. I need to start asking more questions while I am with the dr. I get flustered when I am in the ps office knowing they have a lot of patients to see and leave before I have asked everything I should.

Hapa, I agree about the big implants. The 1st ps I had put big (to me) implants but they were extra full profile so they were narrow. They kept flipping over backwards because they were topsy turvy. I asked him to replace them with smaller implants. He wanted to fix it by going bigger! We parted ways. I am grateful my new ps is on board with going smaller. I think it may be easier for them to go bigger and take less time in the OR and therefore more profitable for them, IDK just a thought. Have you looked at the implant size charts online? I have bookmarked the Allergan Inspira charts and the Sientra brand. They give you all the dimensions so you can get an idea of where you want to be. I can tell you that going down from full profile to moderate takes my projection down almost 1cm, from 5.1 to 4.2cm.

• specialk
    edited November 2018
    Options

shoregirl - I can wear the same bras I wore initially but can be slightly less careful with purchasing a new underwire because the implant does not sit as widely. I needed the DD underwire to get all the way around the implant without the wire sitting on top of it. The cups fit because I went from Mentor round to Natrelle Inspira so the implant is, for me, less wide at the base but maintains the same projection I had. When fitted I was a 34D or DD with the first, but can now sometimes wear a very few 34C depending on brand. Definitely more comfortable in a D. I can fit in some 32 band but the cups don’t seem proportioned correctly for me. I would say that visually I look like a full C, but I am fairly petite upper body, wear a size 2-4 jacket or blouse or a size small, sometimes XS. The Inspira implants look closer to my natural breasts - are pretty equivalent to what was removed in surgery from a size perspective, the rounds made me look somewhat matronly because of width and height - I am a little short waisted.

• NotVeryBrave
    NotVeryBrave Member Posts: 169
    edited November 2018
    Options

hapa - Yes, it seems that "giant knockers" are what so many PS's think we want!

Shoregirl - Why would it delay your surgery to possibly get wider implants? My PS said he'd be taking several options into the OR to see which would work the best. Maybe you could ask?

• Bird-of-light
    Bird-of-light Member Posts: 143
    edited November 2018
    Options

I have subpec 470 Inspira extra Full Projection Rounds. They make me look top heavy. Or like a linebacker! Ha. I plan to revise to prepec and would like a more natural look. Any suggestions? Size wise I'm ok, but hate the way they sit high and out. I could go smaller.

• Shoregirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

SpecialK that surprises me your cup size didn't change much. I wish I hadn't let my ps talk me out of 300cc.

Brave, the med asst was kind of snarky with me a week ago when she called to address my request for moderate instead of full profile. Said they would make an exception this time but when changes in implant are requested they want me to come back into the office (an hour away) and if I change it again would have to get a new surgery date. Tbe dr had said at preop we woul would go with 350 full profile. When I got home and looked up the dimensions and saw it wasn't enough of a step down for me I immediately sent an email saying I wanted moderate and she called me the next day to clarify. You decided to go ahead with a revision? Do you have a date?

Bird, I had the 470 Inspira extra full profile initially. They were the same on me...too top heavy with a 6.1 projection. I stepped down to full profile which looks more natural on me but am stepping down once more to moderate profile which I feel will be a better fit for me.

• Bird-of-light
    edited November 2018
    Options

Shoregirl, thanks for responding. It is so hard to choose these damn things! My surgeon and yours are similar about changing implants. Honestly, my surgeon is an arrogant bitch. But, she is very skilled and is a perfectionist. It is very hard to communicate with her because when I ask questions she responds as if I am questioning her. I'd change surgeon if I could find an experienced one who will move my subpec to prepec. I had nipple sparing with a scar under the fold. I want to use the same scars.

• Shoregirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

Bird your assessment of your ps made me laugh!! I get it though it's hard dealing with these big egos isn't it? I'll be so glad to finally be done with all this crap! I'm just going to pray that God blesses the hands of our surgeons and we get fabulous results with no more mistakes so we can move on and put this behind us!

• specialk
    edited November 2018
    Options

hapa - sorry - I missed your question earlier! I am not a good person to ask about whether a downsize looks ok from an aesthetic standpoint, as it is not why I had one - I had less skin due to repeated skin repair surgeries and I could only tolerate a smaller implant on the left side. I look great in clothes, naked, not so much, lol! My left side has had an expander three different times, and three different implants over the course of six years. My right side had only been downsized the one time, to match the final on the left. I originally had a skin and nipple sparing BMX with expanders, but now have no nipples as they had to be taken (were asymmetrical anyway due to so many surgeries) to accommodate smaller implants by removing more skin after having had larger ones for several years. I originally had IMF incisions but my PS ended up doing traditional mastectomy incisions and removed the right side nip at that time, removed the left later along with a fat graft. My left side has had sixteen surgeries so it looks like a road map and sits lower than the right. All of that said, I am wildly happy because I have two implants at the same time - success is a relative thing. I do believe that how long you have had implants, and what type they are, before downsizing can be a factor in whether or not going smaller will be aesthetically pleasing without revising the skin, and also the amount of downsize and type of replacement implant matters. You did nip sparing DTI, correct?

• hapa
    edited November 2018
    Options

SpecialK - yes, I did nipple sparing DTI. My implants are only 190 & 215cc. I'd like wider, flatter implants, ideally not any heavier (lighter if possible) than what I have now. I'm currently doing rads so I don't know if going smaller will be possible. And its actually not the size or the or weight of the implant that concerns me; I'd like implants that cover my ribs, and I'd like to be able to go braless. And I don't want them placed subpec

• Bird-of-light
    edited November 2018
    Options

Shoregirl, I'll be praying for you too! Dec 4th, right? Keep us posted on your progress.

I'd hoped for a revision during my Christmas break, but my surgeon can't see me until the 18th and then she is on vacation. My choice to go prepec is because I lost a lot of strength and the muscle animation looks and feels terrible. I get muscle knots between my shoulder blades and it feels like my thoracic spine is locked up. I teach yoga, so I'm constantly feeling and seeing my current results. I pray, I'm making the right decision to change.

SpecialK, did you know you'd need rads after the BMX?Your positive attitude is inspiring.

• Shoregirl
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi ladies, just checking in 2 weeks post op. Sorry Bird, just now saw your last post! I am happy with my overall size, but the left (prophy) side had to have the IMF raised so it is now level with the right side. PS had to put in some deep internal stitches, and stitches in the muscle. The implant was sliding off my chest laterally when I lay on my back. PS said the skin was so thin he was worried about it at closing so went back and did the deep internal sutures on the lower lateral edge. This caused the entire implant to be shifted in medially so it touches the other implant, as well as high up under my collar bone, creating a flat spot at that lower lateral edge. The upper pole is quite uncomfortable, very tender!! I saw ps yesterday. He told me it is much easier to drop the level of an implant than to raise it, so not to worry. If the stitches and alloderm don't stretch enough in the next 3 weeks, he can "release" it in his office (surgical suite). He did have me lay down and stood over me and pressed down on the implant with all his weight to try and push it lower. According to the PA, it looks like it helped. I can't tell because its pretty swollen ATM. The soreness is slowly dissipating though so thats good!! He told me not to try to push it into place my self, just let him do it. Also wants me to start range of motion exercises as that left side is very tight in my armpit when I raise my arm past chest height.

The implants are really nice and soft, such a difference!! I am really hoping I can tolerate them. I am amazed what a difference going from full profile to moderate did for me aesthetically. I look more slender, less like a linebacker! My PS calls them "yoga boobs" lol!! They don't jut out abruptly from my chest like the full and extra full profiles did but I still have plenty of projection and cleavage. Bird, with you teaching yoga I can def understand wanting to alleviate the animation deformity and discomfort. I ended up with the Inspira 345 SSM (Smooth Soft-Touch Moderate) which is aka the Goldilocks implant...not to firm, not too soft...just right!! The SCM being the firmer Smooth Cohesive (although mine is cohesive too, just not OVERFILLED) and the SRM model being the softest of the 3 known as the Smooth Inspira (more appropriate for augmentation although my PS did offer it to me. What I noticed right away, aside from these being so much squishier and natural feeling is I don't get that awful feeling of implants peeling off my chest when getting up from a lying position. I hated that!!! Even after 8 months I had that sensation with the bigger heavier implants. I do believe you are making the right decision Bird!! Do you have a date yet?

• mitzi458
    mitzi458 Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2018
    Options

I'm so sorry that you are unhappy with your results, but I will tell you y story and I hope it helps.

My situation was a little different in that I had a bilateral DIEP flap in Feb. 2018.

Actually my story started in 2005 with my dx. After chemo/mastectomy, rads on my left, we decided to do a mastectomy on the right with immediate reconstruction in 2006. I thought I was getting a bilateral DIEP flap then, but the P.S. gave me a LAT flap only on the right (I was SO ANGRY). I got a staph infection, and was so traumatized by the whole experience that I just did nothing. I had one unfinished right LAT flap and flat/rads on my left. I turned 60 this year and decided it was time to do something. I found a PS in my network to do the bilateral DIEP flap, even though 2 others suggested I do a DIEP on the right and an implant on the left. I stayed with the guy who everyone referred to as “the Flap King". Long story short, I ended up with 2 COMPLETELY different breasts...they didn't even look like they belonged on the same body! He said, “Well, women's natural breasts are never the same." And “I guess we could do a revision, but I don't believe in fat grafting."

I did a lot of research, found a PS who was not in my network but was AWESOME. He only charged me for one surgery, but did 3. He did a LOT of lipo and basically rescupted almost my entire body. My breasts are about as close as I think he can get, considering the mess he had to start with. He was HAPPY to do it! He revised some of the giant scars the other PS left me with. The fat grafting took but it took best after the third surgery. I had my initial surgery in February 2018, my first revision in May, 2nd revision in August, and 3rd in November. He took fat from where i didn't want it, And put it where I needed it. Lifted my right side, And was very sympathetic when I explained how they looked ok standing up straight but not when I bent over. When I was concerned about insurance, he said, “Don't worry-they HAVE TO cover it-it's breast cancer!".

I'm just saying, if you can shop around, talk to different docs until you find one you like. It’s amazing how different the doctors are.I can't afford my deductible to do any more revisions this year, and while I'm not perfect, i'm close enough to no longer be embarrassed, and am finally happy when I look in the mirror (still have to do tattoo nipples).

Good luck and feel free to PM me for photos!

Mitzi 🌼

• hapa
    edited December 2018
    Options

I met with my PS on Friday to discuss revising with wider flatter implants. I gave her the size table with the sizes I wanted her to order and try for the surgery. I'm having her order Allergan Inspira low and low-moderate profile implants in various sizes. I also asked if I could get some alloderm placed at the bottom of the pocket so hopefully I can go braless, and so the right one won't feel so pokey and tender at the bottom all the time. Now I just have to wait. Rads just finished two weeks ago so it will be a while, but I'm feeling optimistic.

mitzi - do I understand correctly that your PS did a different surgery than the one you consented to?

• Bird-of-light
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Shoregirl,
    Thank you for sharing! Glad to hear you are happy and things are going relatively well. What is IMF? How’s the rippling? How did you learn about the SSMs? I had only heard of SCM and was going to ask about those. May I ask your height and weight? I currently have SRX 470 am 5’ 7” and weigh 155. I’ve put on weight with Tamoxifen and just started a weight lifting program. My goal weight is 145. Right now the 470 cc implant balances well with my hips. I wonder if they will appear larger prepec. I haven’t met with my surgeon yet because she rescheduled to Jan 8th. Do you have any advice for me? Also, did you ask for the muscle to be reattached?
  • specialk
    edited December 2018
    Options

bird - sorry, just saw your rads question. I had great margins and doing rads was not mentioned at the time of BMX because I was not thought to have node involvement based on exam and MRI. I had a clear SNB in the operating room that was found to be positive later in the lab. Due to the aggressive nature of the tumor both my BS (one of the pioneers of SNB, did the early trials and definitely a reactionary type of surgeon) and my MO, also a forward thinker, insisted that I have ALND surgery and remove levels 1 & 2 of axillary nodes. This was around the time that micromets or ITC in the SNB was dealt with by radiating and less surgical intervention was happening so as to avoid lymphedema and other complications. ALND surgery was done 5 weeks after BMX (BS was in Japan lecturing at a symposium) and yielded a much larger positive node further up the chain - very unusual presentation. Without the ALND we would have been unknowingly leaving a stage 1 sized tumor in the axilla and relying on chemo and/or rads to eliminate it with no surgical intervention - I would not have been comfortable with that, but it was a total surprise. Also, this axillary cancer never showed up on any imaging, but my very palpable 2.6cm breast tumor never showed up on mammo either. One of the reasons I elected BMX was my bad imaging history and it turned out to be the right decision because my "prophy" breast also contained extensive ADH and ALH. Because I had the ALND both BS and MO said multiple times that I did not need rads.

• Bird-of-light
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks for sharing. Glad they found it!

• AliceKo
    AliceKo Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2018
    Options

wow Mitzi, what a story. Thank you for sharing. I am stuck with one implant (& plus chronic pain) after unilateral mastectomy. Just can't believe you continued with it. Everyone says to me to do something about it, but I am stuck. 2 years post dx, cancer free (thank God) and still living in the cancer lifestyle with pain, like I recently had surgery - the last one has been 1 year ago. And my oncologist told me it was going to be the worst year of my life. It was bad, but it is continuing.

Thank you everyone for sharing