Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Repeat surgeries? Please share your experience -

Options

Comments

• Shoregirl
    Shoregirl Member Posts: 338
    edited December 2018
    Options

Here is a Real Self article that got me interested in the Soft Touch model

Bird, IMF is inframammary fold. I had a breast reduction in the early 90's with the anchor shaped scar that goes vertically from nipple down and both ways along the IMF so that was used for the msx. For the 1st exchange as well. Subsequent exchanges just the vertical incision was re-opened, not the IMF portion.

I had a lot of rippling with the Inspira SCX, but none with the Sientra or the Inspira SSM. I found out about the SSMs on my own while researching online. I was happier with the Sientras than the Inspira SCX as the Sientra's were a bit softer, but my new PS uses Inspira so I was trying to find something comparable to Sientra.

Here is some more info on the Inspira line that was helpful in my decision. I was 5'7 1/2" before my back surgery, now am 5'6". My normal comfy weight is 145, but I am up to 160 now because of inactivity associated with my back surgery and arthritic hips. I got a recumbent stationary bike for Christmas though and will take the extra lbs off now that I am getting around better!! The 470s I had gave me a very full D cup. I moved down to 440 and was still a D. Now with the moderate profile 345s *think* I am a small C and feel plenty "big" enough but not too bulky. I have not gone shopping for regular bras yet but tried on an old conventional bra I wore with previous implants and it is now too big. I am still wearing coobie type bras and bralettes for now, 24/7.

I was never sub-pec, pre-pec all the way so no to the ? about muscle re-attchd. The advice I would give is to be sure your ps has a lot of experience with pre-pec if that is what you want. I think it is pretty mainstream now as all 3 of my ps do it and recommend it for reconstruction. When I had all the problems with the 1st set flipping over I asked ps1 if we should revise to subpec to which he emphatically replied "NO!!"

I would also really give a lot of thought to your size and what you want. Although it was possible to downsize, each subsequent surgery is a risk of course and this last one I had less than optimal results on one side due to having been opened a 3rd time after msx. I filled baggies with water in various amounts (cc's = ml's) to simulate a breast implant to come up with a size range I was comfortable with. Then I took my choices and compared specs on the Inspira size chart knowing I needed a certain width for my chest wall. Once I knew the range I wanted to be, I discussed it with my ps and got his thoughts. He wanted me to be around 400, but after I told him I was very happy with my B cup reduction in the 1990's he agreed 345 would be good for me.

Best of luck at your consult on the 8th. I hope I gave you some useful info!

• Shoregirl
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi ladies! I am now moving on to PS4!!! Can you believe it?! I thought I had posted here but now see I did not. So I had written previously about how PS3 put too tight of sutures in my left lateral side causing the implant to be distorted...pushed in too far medially, and up higher than the right. He had me come in to his office surgical suite (that he owns) and under local anesthesia only opened the lateral side of IMF, cauterized the pocket to release the deep sutures, removed the implant completely to see what was causing pain in the medial area. He discovered a bunch of alloderm...just like what was found in the other side when he downsized me in December. He irrigated the pocket and replaced the implant and closed me up. Unfortunately, when he closed he did the exact same friggin thing he did in the OR. He put in extra tight sutures and now the implant is still distorted...all flat on lateral side and still higher than the other. So in other words, I endured that whole fiasco under just a local for absolutely no improvement other than my pain from bunched up alloderm has resolved.

When he saw me post op, I asked him what happened...why am I still here with this deformed implant. He sheepishly said "I guess I overthought it." I said what does that mean? He said he felt like he needed to reinforce the bottom to support the alloderm. Then he said he can fix it at the same time he does the fg...again in his own office surgical suite under local. Uh....NO THANKS!!! I got to thinking...he wants to avoid the OR and do these barbaric no anesthesia procedures in his own facility because he gets all the money.

So I interviewed 2 new surgeons, a male and a female. I chose the male. The female was snarky and didn't sound confidant that she could improve my outcome. Also told me the lipo I need above my "dogear" scar that should have been done at time of dogear surgery would be out of pocket and said I didn't need any fg on right side. No, she won't be allowed anywhere near me.

So this new PS, PS4 is a bit arrogant IMHO. But he is confidant and has a lot of reconstruction experience. He doesn't want to do ANYTHING to the botched side for 3-4 months to give it a good 6 months healing since it was last touched. He is willing to do the fg wherever I want it and will do nipple recon as well. He didn't balk at doing lipo to the dogear, in fact he said he will revise that scar and use it for nipples. He offered to do the fg to the right side now while we wait for the left side to finish settling and healing. He told me it is actually a good plan. At 1st I said no, I don't want separate procedures, having to go under twice and heal twice. But after sleeping on it a few days, having the consult with the female the next day and discussing with my family I have decided to go ahead and let him do the fg to right side. I go this Thur April 11. The upper pole needs a lot of plumping. He said that is one bad thing about pre-pec....the step off is very noticeable. So he will put fat there and also in the medial edge where there is loose skin from downsizing implants. I asked if he can put some behind my vertical scar to add warmth there and a bit of projection. He said he can put it wherever I want it.

Then near the end of summer we will address the left side distorted implant and more fg to right side if needed.

Birdoflight how are yoiu making out??

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2019
    Options

Shoregirl, I like your plans!  Sounds like this PS may be a keeper. About damn time, right?

Big hugs!

• HRM
    HRM Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2019
    Options

This is my first post. I am looking for a PS in the Chicago or Northern Il area. I have had several recons but my boobies are still bizzare.

• Bird-of-light
    Bird-of-light Member Posts: 143
    edited April 2019
    Options

Shoregirl,

I have decided to wait until July for surgery because it was save me $1800 to wait for the new fiscal year. I will have a pre-op appointment before then. I am sorry that you are going through another surgery. It does sound like PS4 will give you what you want, which is awesome. Mine is too arrogant and thinks she knows best. I know she will do a beautiful job, so if she won’t give me the fat grafting I want, I’ll get that done elsewhere if insurance will allow. Keep us posted on your status. Good luck tomorrow 😘

Bird

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214
    edited April 2019
    Options

HRM-Dr John Kim NW Hospital is phenomenal...he’s the Chicago version of ‘botched’. He took my ugly ducks and made them swans

• Shoregirl
    edited April 2019
    Options

Thanks VegGal! He did a great job today and I don't have much pain or bruising, just a little over my sides. I had him take fat from my upper abd and he went over my upper ribs. Took a little from lower abd but saving most of that for future fg.

Thanks Bird, all went well!! Waiting til July to save $1800 was a wise decision!! We may get close surgery dates as my ps said July or Aug for phase 2. I highly recommend the fg for pre-pec implants. It has made such a difference in providing warmth, softness and skin integrity. I realize I will probably feel a bit more sore after the next day or two but honestly I don't feel bad this go round at all!! I think I still have some numbing from the lidocaine though. When I rub the donor sites they feel numb. Even if I do get super sore in a few days its totally worth it to me. :)

• rmgrmg
    rmgrmg Member Posts: 26
    edited April 2019
    Options

Glad your implants are being fine tuned and working for you Shoregirl. You seemed concerned throughout your experiences about repeat surgeries, which are the hallmark of reconstruction of the breast, both for fat flap and implants, depending on how fussy one is. Sadly implants are not permanent and someday they will need to be replaced, usually 10 to 15 years. I have had implants for over a decade and was very happy but now I am less happy as the implants have worn out and need replacement. I too hate repeat surgeries and am not too happy to explant re-implant only to have to repeat this process again in the future. Sorry nothing is easy about BC and I wished we had easier solutions.

• Shoregirl
    edited April 2019
    Options

Thank you Racheal. It has been a lot more than I expected to be sure!! My revisions weren't for cosmetic though...I had 3 different surgeons screw up and cause me to need the revisions. I have had 5 surgeries since BMX in the span of 28 months. No way would I ever have thought I would face that. I was thinking (according to what PS1 told me) I would eventually need implants replaced but with the new high cohesive silicone he put in it could be 20 yrs before being needed. I am hoping when it is time to replace these there are more doctors reconstructing with just fat. I have spoken with a few ladies that were fortunate enough to have pure fat reconstructions and they are so happy with it. Best wishes to you!!

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2019
    Options

You will feel like you did a thousand sit ups or someone slapped you with a ruler about 500 times in the next days. My PS recommended ibuprofen for the lipo pain and narcotics for the breast pain. I tried to keep my grafted areas very warm by keeping them covered with a fuzzy blanket to help maintain good circulation...kind of like the DIEP ladies are kept warm. I had good retention of the grafted fat. 

Rest and heal, Shoregirl!

• Bird-of-light
    edited April 2019
    Options

shoregirl,

I’m happy for you! Did he get the one side down? Rest and heal! Sending warm wishes your way

• Shoregirl
    edited April 2019
    Options

Thank you VegGal. I remember feeling that way when PS2 did some initial fg. I was so sore it was torture just to pull my Spanx up! Really felt like severely torn muscles. But with this go round and a different surgeon, I have some soreness, but more likened to being slapped with a ruler lol (love that anaolgy!) It is not nearly as bad, and I hardly have any bruising. So I am thinking (and I may be way off base here) the pain and bruising is relative to the hands of the surgeon. This surgeon has 20 yrs experience vs my 1st fg experience was with a very young ps in her early 30's. I have kidney issues so I can't take NSAIDS; just oxycodone and Tylenol for me. I have been using the narcotics around the clock, but noticed yesterday I could space them out more and now feel Tylenol will be sufficient going fwd. I was out all day yesterday till 10 pm visiting with my parents just 2 days post op. I felt fine, just a little tired later in the evening. Very interesting about keeping the girls warm, I never would have thought to do that!

Thank you Bird-of-light. I only had fg to the "good side". The new PS wants to let the botched side settle and heal over the next few months. He said its not good to go back in right away while scar tissue is forming. So it is still sitting higher and squished over toward the center. We will probably address it in late July or August which will put me 6 months post off from the botchery. I will see him for post op next Thurs and ask when I can get on the schedule. I like that he isn't trying to rush into it though even though I want to hurry up and get done.

• Shoregirl
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi ladies, I had my post op yesterday...steri strips and stitches removed. The doctor was super nice and we both feel the fg did a lot to disguise the symmetry issues I have with the implants. Now that the upper pole is plumped out it doesn't look as much lower than the other side which is actually too high. PS told me he was very pleased he was actually able to inject fat behind my vertical scar. I had requested it for warmth over the implant. He was hesitant as he didn't want to get too close to the implant and risk puncturing it. But it went well and he told his assistant that was in the exam room with us the fat will also help the appearance of the scar. He told me to continue massaging the botched side in a downward motion and it may loosen up over the next few months.

I think he is right. The botched side is starting to relax so I will continue w/massage. But if it doesn't round out on the lateral IMF he will revise. The BONUS in all of this is now the spare tire I had just beneath my bra line on upper ribs is GONE!! I am back in the happy camp and so grateful he offered to do this 1 side fg while we wait for the other side. Best decision I have made in a while!

Rmgrmg...do you have a date for your implant replacement? I am hoping it is true this new generation of silicone implants have a longer life span. Although things like capsular contracture can of course shorten that life span. PS3 actually discovered I had cc in my right side when he replaced my implants in Dec 2018 that had only been since Nov 2017.

Have a happy Easter everyone!! 🐰

• Bird-of-light
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hello Friends,

I have decided to get a consult from

John B. Hijjawi, MD

for DIEP or SFLAP. I want the implants out. Who knows, maybe I’ll go flat. I’ll let you know what I decide.

Shoregirl, praying all works out for you. Thanks so much for posting and responding

• Shoregirl
    edited April 2019
    Options

Bird I am glad you found a talented microsurgeon to work with!! Had I known all the difficulties that my implants would cause I would have taken my time and consulted with more ps about various flap options. (I wasn't candidate for DIEP). Please keep us posted!! When is your consult?

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    edited April 2019
    Options

Shoregirl, why were you not a candidtate for DIEP?

• Shoregirl
    edited April 2019
    Options

hapa, I had previous abdominal surgery so they said I couldn't have DIEP as the scar tissue would be an issue.

• Bird-of-light
    edited May 2019
    Options

Shoregirl, I see John Hijawii on May 22. Excited! How are you doing

• Shoregirl
    edited May 2019
    Options

Bird-of-light how exciting!! May I ask what problems you have had with the implants making you want them out? When I had the larger (470cc) implants they were much less comfortable than my current 340s. I actually toyed with the idea of having them out but after my consult for flaps decided to just downsize and see if that helped. It did help immensly!! My implants are pre-pec and the heavy bigger implants gave the sensation of peeling off my chest when I got up from a lying down postion. They were way too firm and I was self-conscious giving hugs. That is gone now. I switched from ultra high projection Inspiras (super firm) to moderate profile Soft Touch Allergans which are much more natural feeling. Surprisingly, the ultra high profile Inspiras had a lot of rippling compared to the Soft Touch although I did have 1 round of fg which I did not have with Inspira. I just wanted to share my experience so you are aware of all the options. Whatever you decide I pray you have the best outcome and would love it if you share your experience too.

• hapa
    edited May 2019
    Options

Revision surgery is tomorrow!!

Today I take the GRE.

Wish me luck (for both)!

• hapa
    edited May 2019
    Options

Revision is done. There is still some swelling, but early results look very promising. My PS put the same sized implants in both sides, Allergan SRLP-220 low-plus profile smooth round implants. They are much softer, wider, and flatter than the mentor moderate-plus profile implants that were in there before. I no longer look like I have two odd balls stuck to the middle of my chest. In about a month or two the swelling will go down and we'll see how much rippling I have. I had very little before but I think softer implants = more ripples. There is still some slight asymmetry because I had radiation on one side and that skin is thinner, but she did put some alloderm over that side to try to thicken up the skin. I will be posting new pics on the pictures forum, if anyone is on that. But I'm pretty relieved that I have what appear to be actual breasts now instead of the abomination that was my first reconstruction. I think any more touching up, if I even need it, can be done via fat grafting.

• simonerc
    simonerc Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2019
    Options

Great news, hapa!!!

• Shoregirl
    edited May 2019
    Options

Glad to hear you are doing well and happier with your reconstruction hapa! You mentioned the alloderm to help thicken the skin....fg REALLY helps!! :) But may need more than one session. I had my fg done in early April. Some of it didn't survive so I will be getting another round end of summer. I thought the softer implants would have more rippling too but mine didn't. I just had some hollows above the implants as mine are above the muscle.

I never had any success getting on the picture forum.

• christiekoe
    christiekoe Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2019
    Options

I had my expander to exchange surgery 5 days ago. The surgeon used smooth round implants. While I'm pretty pleased with my right side (kinda hoped for a little bigger) I'm pretty disappointed with my left (cancer) side. My surgeon did some fat grafting and the contour above my right breast looks amazing and full but the left side don't have near as much contour and even is slightly higher. I'm so confused as to why it looks this way and will probably call the office tomorrow. Maybe because the cancer side has to have fat grafting done in multiple sessions? I'm just not sure and didn't realize it until today as the swelling finally has subsided a little. Has anyone else had this issue? I was so hoping that this would be my last time with surgery for a while but I definitely don't want this result.

• Shoregirl
    edited June 2019
    Options

christiekoe, did you have rads on left side? If so I believe that changes how your skin stretches (or doesn't) with the implants. 5 days is awfully early to determine final outcome though regardless. Swelling will continue to go down for a few months. I did not have rads but ended up with left side higher and in toward midline too much so will be having revision. That being said, my left implant has dropped to same level as the right all on its own now that I am 6 months post op but I will still have revision for more of a lateral placement and more fg. Unfortunately, its probably pretty rare to sail through without some type of tweaking in reconstruction. I hope you are feeling well. While it is discouraging to have setbacks, revisions and the like and not be able to just "put it behind us" try your best to stay positive (for your own peace of mind and health). Although it may take longer than you had hoped, know that you will get to that long awaited point when you can finally say "I am done-done!!" I'm definately not saying it's not an emotional rollercoaster though. The struggle is real and its perfectly normal to feel disappointed, sad, angry etc. I am facing my 7th breast surgery over the last 2 years and am finally to the point of feeling kind of resigned and numb to it. Meaning I don't get my hopes up that this will be the last surgery. It is what it is so to speak. I can't choose to "live with the malpositioned implant" because it causes me pain. I probably wouldn't live with it anyway because darn it, after going through all this crap I am not going to settle!! I wish you all the best and hope for you to get the results you want Hug

• scrafgal
    scrafgal Member Posts: 412
    edited June 2019
    Options

multiple surgeries here and, 2.5 years out from the first one (recovering now from like the last) I can say that the phased approach is frustrating but the results work for me.

There is an art and science to getting a natural breast symmetrical with a reconstructed breast. Trying to do all necessary fat grafting in one shot rarely works. The body reabsorbs less fat when the volume added is incremental...allowing for things to settle before having additional surgeries yields more predictability to the final outcome. It has been a long road but I am happy with how things look now. Things won't fully settle from this surgery for a few months but it's really looking symmetrical in size and fullness now...no rippling etc.

My ps says that there are 3 to 4 surgeries on average...he told me this from the start...he is sort of a perfectionist, and I now know that I could never date a ps, but I appreciate his work and the way that he inspired confidence about the progress after each surgery.

So...patience is the key...and trusting your surgeon..

• Mileygirl
    Mileygirl Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2019
    Options

Thank you to everyone for sharing your journey. I’m newly diagnosed and Looking for advice...opinions on surgery. I am trying to decide about mastectomy on my right where cancer is or doing bilateral mastectomy.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited June 2019
    Options

I just had 2 sugeries the mx then 4 months later diep reconstruction both went very well no infection or complications. I am glad I didn't see the descriptions and other horror stories on wound opening up. I probably wouldn't havd gone through with it.

• ipenelope
    ipenelope Member Posts: 233
    edited June 2019
    Options

I had my exchange surgery this past Thursday after BMX. Very happy with results so far. Had smooth silicone implants placed with fat grafting. Hoping things continue to go smoothly, keeping the pain at bay with Tylenol which I like. Seriously missing sleeping on my stomach though, I SERIOUSLY dislike sleeping on my back!!

I hope everyone is doing good kicking cancer's arse!!!

~Katie💗

• Grammieshell
    Grammieshell Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2019
    Options

hello everyone...

Getting ready to have surgery #12 in 2 years. Pretty tired of being cut on. Currently have the gummy bear implants, I was pretty happy with the look and feel, besides constant pain from surgery, I thought I was done for awhile.... turns out these babies are known to flip backwards, and flip they did. Freaked me out, made a flying trip to my PS 2 hours away and she said, o... yep, they flip sometimes, we didn't know this a year ago when we put them in. She's irritated with the company, irritated with the implant, because they give such good results.... yea until they are backwards, then you look like a circus freak.

Anyway, she said they will just keep flipping, causing pain, and we had revisions to still do on you, so let's just swap them out.

Sigh... so swap out, revision, fat grafting, etc.

Does this ever end???? And... the fat grafting makes me nervous, I had liposuction under my arms about 6 months ago, but my tummy area ... yikes.

Advice???