Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Interpreting Your Report

Comments

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited March 2019

Such beautiful kitties!!

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 749
    edited March 2019

what handsome creatures, djmammo!

• djmammo
    djmammo Member Posts: 1,003
    edited March 2019

Here is the third one

• CG1644
    CG1644 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2019

Hi everyone. I got a callback for the first time and I am a nervous wreck. Can anyone give me some thoughts on my report? Am I worrying for nothing?

It wont let me post the pic....

• mustlovecats7
    mustlovecats7 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2019

As my username indicates, I love your cats, they are adorable!!

I've been able to find my lump, it's super hard and totally immovable. Please tell me that it's still probably benign and statistically I'm still good.

As others have said, thank you for sharing your time and expertise with this community. It's very appreciated!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited March 2019

CG1644 and mustlovecats7, sorry you have to be here and worried, but welcome! Hope you find this a supportive and informative Community.

CG1644, you must be a member for at least 3 days, AND have made at least 5 posts before you can post any pictures or links. This is to combat spammers joining our site and immediately posting links or images. Sorry for the inconveniences!

Best wishes,

From the Mods

• CG1644
    edited March 2019

Thank you so much for letting me know. Maybe I will type it up instead. Thanks again!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited March 2019

djmammo any time you want to join us over on "cats cats cats" you will fit right in!

• djmammo
    edited March 2019

My daughter's fur babies.

• Shelbybelbyboo
    Shelbybelbyboo Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2019

djmammo they are all adorable!! I have two cats soon to be 3 (I'll be adopting from a rescue). They are my babies 💕💕

• CG1644
    edited March 2019

Awww they are so cute djmammo!!

• CG1644
    edited March 2019

Hi everyone. I have been so nervous as I got a callback for more pictures for the first time. Here is my report. Should I be worried?

• djmammo
    edited March 2019

CG1644

5mm is good (small), oval is good. No suspicious characteristics were described. A 5mm cancer should easily be seen on US and they saw nothing on your initial US so no reason to panic. Let us know what the follow up shows.

Was this US done with an automated machine or did the tech use a hand-held probe and go over each quadrant individually?

• CG1644
    edited March 2019

She did it with a handheld probe. I found it odd that it didn't show on the ultrasound. Was hoping that was a good sign....

• beep7bop
    beep7bop Member Posts: 45
    edited March 2019

For all of you have been waiting with me and I with them, I got my report today I am IDC my breast cancer doctor called me today I have an appt with her tomorrow. she said to bring family support my husband is going with me.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited March 2019

(((((beep7bop))))) Keep us posted. We are there with you in spirit. Medicating

• Mamaofthree
    Mamaofthree Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2019

djmammo

I was wondering if you could interpret my report. And let me know what you think. It should be noted when they did the biopsy they collected a fluid around my mass. Which seemed to be good news because they thought it might just be an infection but it ended up not being one. He said I have heterogeneously dense breasts...what does that mean. Pi assumed when he said that during the ultrasound it was a good thing but of course I didn’t ask because I wasn’t processing it or something.

Right breast: unusual, multi lobular hypoechoic, irregular mass measuring 3.8 x 2.0 x 1.4 cm immediately medial to the right nipple. Nearby there is an additional mass 2.5 x 1.7 x 1.0 cm. Other smaller areas are hypoechoic.

I realize that some of the terms are less favorable but the fact there was fluid seems good. What are your thoughts or suggestions. As they aren't suggesting an antibiotic. But they haven't said they wanted to do anything else.

Thanks for your help and opinions

• djmammo
    edited March 2019

Mamaofthree

If that is the entire report, it leaves out a few key features of these masses. There is also no mention of the fluid they withdrew or the state of the lymph nodes. Were these found on a screening mammogram or did you feel them yourself?

If these have already been biopsied you will know what it is in a few days.

• Mamaofthree
    Mamaofthree Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2019

Djmammo

This was a diagnostic because I felt a lump. In the ultrasound they said there was no swelling of the lymph nodes...seemed like he was pleased with that when the tech showed him.

I of course have a list of questions now that I’ve been keeping track of since apparently I didn’t think of any questions until I left. Yeah I was hoping to see something about the fluid but there was nothing.

• mustlovecats7
    edited March 2019

Got my biopsy results back, it's benign! But it's a sclerosing lesion and not a fibroademona. So I guess I have to have it removed and then they might also test the right side just to be sure.

She sounded convinced during the procedure it was a fibroademona so she sounded shocked that it wasn't.

I think she said that it's definitely not cancer, but she mentioned something about the surrounding area. No chance of cancer, right?

• SuQu31
    SuQu31 Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2019

djmammo, I hope you can explain something found in my pathology report after double mastectomy. I think my signature will give you the info you need about my diagnosis, but I'm happy to provide further information.

A related (I think) quote from earlier testing may help: From Bilateral breast MRI with and without contrast: "MRI findings in the left breast is indicative of residual carcinoma in the left breast upper outer quadrant." Then, my question, from my post-mastectomy pathology: "Review of representative quadrant sections reveals inadvertent sampling of the lesion in the upper outer quadrant section."

They did find that my DCIS extended to "within less than 1 mm from the inked anterior margin," and my BS gave me the option of re-excision or radiation. Having come this far, I chose re-excision. The pathology from the re-excision surgery found "no evidence of residual ductal carcinoma in situ," and "no evidence of breast parenchymal elements."

Now, a few months later, I am concerned about the "inadvertent sampling of the lesion in the upper outer quadrant section," particularly the "inadvertent sampling of the lesion" part, and what that means. My BS says the finding of no more DCIS in the re-excision sample means they got all of the DCIS and I do not need further treatment. I want to believe that, but I also want to understand this as well as I can. Being double negative, I want to do anything I can to avoid recurrence.

Thank you for all you do!

• djmammo
    edited March 2019

SuQu31

This extends beyond my area of expertise which is diagnostic imaging.

I agree that the word "inadvertent" would catch anyone's eye in a pathology report and the best person to explain that would be the pathologist that signed out the case, as no one else would know better what that means to you.

There should be a name at the bottom of the report and perhaps a phone number of the path department. I would first make sure that 'inadvertent' was the intended term and if it was, what is its meaning in the context of the report.

• Motheroftwo36
    Motheroftwo36 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2019

what is the likelihood of this being invasive? My pathology report states:

stained with an immunoperoxidase stain to smooth muscle myosin. The area of concern for an invasive component is in the 9:00 periareolar biopsy material. The area of concern on the H&E stained sections are not present on deeper sections of tissue stained with smooth muscle myosin and is non contributory. The area of high grade and comedo type DCIS in both sections all demonstrate a layer of myoepothelial cells consistent with DCIS. The estrogen andprogesterone receptors are: ER positive 100% and PR positive 50%.

• SuQu31
    SuQu31 Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2019

Thank you. I will do that

• blah333
    blah333 Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2019

Motheroftwo36

You got a mastectomy correct? And your lymph nodes were clear? If so you should be fine.... unless the DCIS was along your chest wall etc. and they did not get good margins..

• mustlovecats7
    edited March 2019

@djmammo

I just received my pathology report, I think I'm more confident in the results now but I would still appreciate your input. I've cut the unnecessary parts about sterile stuff out as I'm retyping this up.

TECHNIQUE AND FINDINGS: A previously noted 0.8 x 0.4 x 0.6 cm lobulated, hypoechoic mass at the 3 o-clock N5 axis was identified with ultrasound guidance.

4 cores were obtained with a vacuum assisted 12-gauge core biopsy needle device.

IMPRESSION: Differential considerations include fibroademona.

ADDENDUM #1

Pathology demonstrates:

Complex sclerosing lesion with adenosis and usual ductal hyperlplasia. No atypia or malignancy identified.

Results are benign and concordant. However, given presence of a complex sclerosing lesion, surgical consult is recommended.

At time of original ultrasound on 3/5/2019, a probably benign 5 mm mass was seen at the RIGHT breast 10 o'clock N7 axis corresponding to a painful, palpable abnormality. Although this mass does not have suspicious features, it is symptomatic and consideration may be given to surgical excision at time of LEFT breast excisional biopsy.

------

From what I've read in academic publications, CSLs that are upgraded to malignant are usually larger than 1cm, have atypia, are discordant, or in older patients. Therefore, I think the likelihood that nearby area is malignant is very low but I would appreciate any additional thoughts or opinions you might have. My surgical consult is next week.

• amacmec
    amacmec Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2019

I was diagnosed with and treated for (excision, the pathology report stated I had clean margins) Stage 1A melanoma in 12/18. My father passed away from Adenocarcinoma (it started in the salivary gland and spread to his lungs over a 18 year period) in 12/15.

On 3/7, I had my first mammogram (I opted for 3D) at age 41. The results were inconclusive due to dense breast tissue, so I was referred for a UNILATERAL LEFT DIGITAL DIAGNOSTIC MAMMOGRAM 3D/2D AND TARGETED LEFT ULTRASOUND WITH ADDITIONAL VIEWS. Right after the ultrasound, the radiologist said the tumor was suspicious and on my paperwork, it listed a BIRADS of 4, 5 (dense).

Here are the study results:

The tissue of the left breast is heterogeneously dense. This may lower the sensitivity of mammography. Digital mammography views were performed including tomosynthesis.

Additional views of the medial left breast confirm UIQ nodularity. Targeted US shows a lobulated heterogeneous 1.5 cm mass at 10 o'clock 6 cm FN.

The axilla is normal.

No significant calcifications are seen in the breast on the mammogram.

IMPRESSION: SUSPICIOUS FOR MALIGNANCY, TARGETED ULTRASOUND SUSPICIOUS FOR MALIGNANCY

Left 1 o'clock 1.5 cm lobulated mass is suspicious; recommend biopsy. This was discussed with the patient and called to the referring physician's office.

Left US guided core biopsy has been scheduled for 3/15.

I've searched on Google to get more information from reputable sources, but I'm still confused by what all this means. Is it possible that my melanoma has spread to the breast, or is this more than likely something totally unrelated?

I'm trying very hard to remain positive and optimistic, but between this and the melanoma diagnosis and surgery, I am feeling completely overwhelmed right now. Any information is appreciated!

• djmammo
    edited March 2019

mustlovecats7

The CSL, also known as a radial scar, is always removed when found.

• djmammo
    edited March 2019

amacmec

The description lacks the features that would make it more easy to distinguish benign from malignant. Either way newly discovered solid masses are always biopsied. Yes melanoma can go to the breast, but as the article below indicates any metastatic disease to the breast is rare. Statistically it should be unrelated to your melanoma.

Melanoma and the Breast

• Motheroftwo36
    Motheroftwo36 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2019

blah3333

I have not had a mastectomy yet but i am scheduled for one next month. My lymph nodes have not been biopsied yet either. Id like to be prepared and know what to expect.

djmammo

Can you provide any input?