Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Keeping our Hair Healthy while taking anti hormonals

Options

Comments

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Metoo14, do you color your hair? My daughter is always putting coconut oil, straight from the jar on her hair. The Monat oil is suppose to be all natural, but even if not, it does seem to work. When I was a teenager, and was at the beach or in a pool, my go to hair oil was either wella cholesteral treatment or v05 hot oil treatments. I am trying to use the monat hair oil several times a day on my ends and dry areas. I also like the living proof hair oil and you can purchase it at Ulta. A leave in type product, verses a rinse out product, would probably serve you better.

• TaRenee
    TaRenee Member Posts: 406
    Options

I thought about the minoxidil but once you start using it do you have to stay with it to reap the benefits once hair does begin to repopulate your head? I always had very fine hair anyway and this thinning is really a downer. I take biotin already. I just wondered how long that treatment needs to be and what happened when you stop using it.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I did not try the minoxidil yet. I was a chicken. I am trying the monat products right now. I don't know what happens when using minoxidil. Anyone else? TaRenee, post a hair pic.

• TaRenee
    Options

Not much good of a hair pic, but this is from last week. So it’s at least recent. image

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

TaR, I do think that going through the stress of surgery creates hair fallout. First, we get an initial shock, then we have stress of finding our path to doctors, tests before surgery, surgery, recovery, for me radiation. I wonder why they started you on Tamoxifen so fast? Unless you had a really high oncotype, could the doctors not have waited a month longer for you to recover? This was my timeline: Surgery August 29, 2016, recovery during month of September and dealt with mild seroma which had to dissipate, October 6 through Nov 4 had radiation, the rest of November and December took a break, January 24th had hysterectomy/oopherectomy my choice vs. getting monthly abdominal injections to shut down my ovaries, recovered for a couple of weeks, started 10mgs Tamoxifen for 2 weeks, then took 10mgs twice per day starting two weeks after that. Got my "see you next year" on November 8th mammogram. For me, I have to do whatever I am doing, take a break/regroup, then go on. I cannot jump quickly or layer therapies. I am like that in my life. I do one thing well, and then I move on.

Radiation seemed to have triggered fallout for me, and I am used to having a ton of hair. I started Nioxin during December 2016 and continued until May 2017. I am experimenting with different products now to see which help me the most. Do you use hair thickening spray or mouse? Your hair looks full, but I believe we are our own worst critics. For thickening I like the Living Proof Full Line. If you go onto Amazon, you might be able to get some samples of that line. I used it for several months, and did see regrowth during that time.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    Options

TaRenee,Since you wouldn't be using the minoxidil for a balding issue it could possibly just give you a boost in your hair growth and keep what you have on your head a little longer since it slows down the sheddding process. It would just go back to its regular shedding cycle when you stop. Shouldn't be too noticeable if any:) I basically used it when my hair was first growing in and wanted to stimulate the growth and retention.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Thank you, Twills, for sharing your knowledge. I am such a chicken to use minoxidil.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    Options

I wouldn't think you'd need it Michelle and no sense adding the stress of using another product if you're not sure:)

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Thanks, TWills, that is what I thought. I do have a cowlick on the back of my head, that currently I have to do a backcombing to cover. If I lose any hair, it seems like that is the spot that will show first. Ugh.

• catfurr
    catfurr Member Posts: 39
    Options

imageI became interested in Monat in October 2014 during their pre launch. I loved that the products were safe, no preservatives, pba's, phosphates, never tested on animals, but more importantly, my hair looked amazing! I was also very sick with a pneumonia that kept me from jumping into the company full force, but I still secured the best discount. Fast forward a few months and I was diagnosed with BC. Ugh, no hair🙄 I still put the rejuvinique oil on my bald head tho!! When my hair came back, it was sooo soft, like kitten fur! I used the IRT shampoo for several months, then went back to the volume shampoo. My hair wouldn't take color for a year, but does now. My 35yr old stylist says my hair is growing faster than hers! I never had curly hair, btw, but I'm loving the chemo curls now! So, in regards to Monat, for me, it's worth every penny and not horribly expensive. The products are highly concentrated, last quite awhile and as a market partner, very affordable. I'm not sure how to post more than one pic, but this is from July. I'll post one from last week

• catfurr
    Options

This was last week! Soo curly😄image

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Catfur, your hair came back very pretty. I know several ladies whose hair came back very thick and curly. I have asked Monat to sponsor me in a three month trial, to see if their product could make a difference on my hair. While, I do like it, it is one of the most expensive products on the market, so my study is going to weigh cost and benefit. As a women's health care advocate, when appropriate, I make recommendations to a variety of organizations. It will be interesting to see what I find out. My only issue with Monat is that they really push the individual, to do the multi level marketing with a locked in amount. I would rather see professional places such as Salon Centric or Cosmoprof, supply the industry. Lever purchased Living Proof and they have a direct market program working with licensed stylists. My niece is an esthetician, and we have an up and coming stylist in the mix. TWills, on here is a hair professional. My background is pharmacy education with an MBA, marketing executive, due diligence officer. The only thing I know about hair, is that it is on my head and I want it to be pretty. Winking

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    Options

so my hair starting coming out by the handful on tamoxifen. Then stopped when I had to stop tamoxifen 2 months after starting in May. Fast forward to now...had my hysterectomy with oophorectomy, also ended up anemic due to some rogue I faction no one could figure out that chewed up all my RBCs. And the hair is coming out by the handful again. Hate washing it because do much comes out but at least the oiliness that had me washing everyday is dying down and I can go every other day between shampoos now. Scared to death of what will happen when l start the AI later this month. Talked to the nurses at NOLA and a pharmacist today and both recommended biotin (start with “moderate dose” - 2500 mg - and increase to 5,000 if it doesn’t slow down.) Will start the biotin tonite. Nurse at NOLA also recommended something called It Works if the biotin doesn’t help. Anyone heard of it/tried it? She said a lot of their patients swear by it.

• catfurr
    Options

Thanks, Michelle!! I've never been pressured to sell Monat, nor do I pressure anyone 😄 (But I'd be happy to msg my website link😁) have several customers who purchase thru the VIP program at a 15% discount, plus a bonus product that is usually a yet unreleased styling product. Lots of salon owners and stylists do have this on their shelves, but instead of buying from a wholesale supply house, they purchase directly from Monat. As a market partner i buy at 40% off, which puts it at $21 a bottle and lasts several months. I also have samples that I can mail, if anyone would like to try it👍

Lula73- I was really worried about the AI, but other than some weird joint stuff, I've had no issues with it

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Lula, why can you not take Tamoxifen? After your body levels out from your oopherectomy, you hair issue might resolve itself. The longer I am on Tamoxifen, the less my hair comes out. If you read above posts, you will see that my timeline was spread over a 6 month window. With the lumpectomy, radiation, oopherectomy/hysterectomy, I was able to stretch out my time to include the opportunity for rejuvenation. Then, I gradually started Tamoxifen. Remember, it is how we finish something, not how we start that matters.

Catfur, thanks for the info. Everyone here sells it, but I am buying mine as samples, online. Gotta' save money to pay for health insurance. Winking

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    Options

Michelle- I developed a DVT and bilateral pulmonary emboli from the tamoxifen.You know when you read in the side effect/safety information for a drug or procedure and less than some low percentage of people experience some crazy side effect? That’s me like 98% of the time. 😬

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Lulu I am sorry to hear that. We have some really knowledgeable AI gals, Pontiac Peggy, ChiSandy, Molly50, that can give you guidance on that topic. I have osteopenia in my hips and alot of dental work, so AI's are not an option for me at this time.

• UnwillingParticipant
    Options

FDA POSTS  SAFETY WARNING ABOUT BIOTIN (Vitamin B7): This just came out a few days ago.  If you're taking biotn just for your hair, please check with your doctor.  It seems that it creates serious problems in regards to blood tests, especially heart function and hormone testing.

https://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm586641.htm

• Sjb2
    Sjb2 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Did you like the Nioxin? I am having problems with my hair falling out and I assume it is from the Tamoxifen

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Sjb2, could you update your stats? I would say from the timeline of joining here for you June 2017, you prob had surgery in August, radiation (unless mastectomy) in September, and started Tamoxifen maybe October? I think the combination of everything puts stress on our hair. My started coming out after radiation to my breast. It got worse while I was not on Tamoxifen, and then kept thinning while on Tamoxifen, until it stopped falling out and started to regrow. Nioxin was a good product during Tamoxifen months 1 through month 5, and then I started experimenting with Matrix Rose Oil Volume, Living Proof Full products, and now a mixture including Monat. If your hair keeps shedding speak with your doctor, they may advise minoxidil, but I would keep pushing the volumizing treatments unless you can see your scalp

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

I didn't have hair loss on AI drugs but it did change my hair, dull looking. Also my skin was dry. It is taking over 2 years off meds for my hair and skin to look a bit better. I think my hair coloring is hard on my hair but I can't stand the gray. I don't notice any difference taking supplements.

Looking for an answer so is my Mom, she hates her dry dull hair.

• TaRenee
    Options

Michelle I’m not sure why we started so quick on Tamoxifen but I’ve done pretty good on it so far. SEs haven’t been horrible and I’ve done really well healing since surgery.

TWillis thanks. I have very fine hair so when it comes out at all I notice it!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Today, I tried the Monat shampoo, mask, conditioner, root lift and some oil. I recommend the root lift using a round brush. It really fluffed up my cowlick area on the back of my head. Jury is still out on the shampoo and conditioner, although I think the mask is pretty good.

• Kristiina
    Kristiina Member Posts: 3
    Options

I am following this conversation. A good haircut seemed to help. But it seems like I notice much more hair in my brush. Is Rogaine the same as minx?

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Kristina, what antihormonal are you on

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I really like the Monat Root Lift and have ordered the Monat Blowout Cream, to see what that does for my hair. Saw my new hair stylist on Friday, and she used so many different item to get a certain look for my hair. Still not sure the outcome of this trial of Monat. The Living Proof did a good job as well, but seemed to lack a couple of helpful items. I do see alot of new growth and shorter hair coming in around the front hairline. It may come down to Living Proof full shampoo/conditioner, with Monat styling products.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I have been using the Monat renew shampoo, a Monat leave in conditioner, and some smoothing cream for frizzy hair. So far, it has worked very well. I am seeing my stylist today, to see how much regrowth I have. I do really, really like some of the Monat products, but some can be drying. By getting samples, I have been able to find out what works for me. Is it better than Living Proof? Not sure yet. I also use a Rose Volume Shampoo first, and then the Monat renew shampoo. I will post pics later and an update from my stylist. She is awesome.

• lizabethm
    lizabethm Member Posts: 105
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I am 3/4 of the way through chemo with my last infusion the middle of January. I will have about a month before starting radiation and then off to Tamoxifen. I have been cold-capping and have kept most of my hair with thinning on top where the Dignicap did not make good contact. I have been treating my hair like a china doll, washing only 2xs week, no blow drying or any heat styling. Also, no coloring and I switched to shampoo that does not have parabins or sulfates.

I am curious what your supplement and other hair products regiment is? After the last chemo, I want to start Biotin but I'd like to know what has been working for all of you to strengthen your hair?

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Lizbeth, what was your oncotype? Can't figure out why you are doing chemo.

• lizabethm
    lizabethm Member Posts: 105
    Options

Michelle, I did Mammaprint which returned "High Risk" for recurrence. I had a 30% of recurrence within 10 years as Stage 4 without chemo.

I didn't want to do chemo but my tumor grade was an aggressive one.