Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Keeping our Hair Healthy while taking anti hormonals

Options

Comments

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

I take a prescription D Vitamin, 50,000 per week. My hair stylist told me that my hair is coming in thicker than a year ago Between, surgeries and radiation, I think it was alot of stress on my body. I have calmed down alot about my hair, so no more stress helps hair regrowth as well.

• Icietla
    Icietla Member Posts: 321
    Options

Icietla's Husband types this for Icietla:

Warning: If you cannot stand the sight of gray or graying hair, please do not look at the pictures following.

Warning: If you cannot stand the sight of the color pink, please do not look at the pictures following.

This is not to scare anyone from the anti-hormonal treatment recommended them. It is to encourage them to continue with their recommended anti-hormonal treatment for as long as they can tolerate it or for as long as it works for them.

My hair story is covered generally in prior posts here and in another discussion thread linked on this thread. As background, I should say that my hair has always been on the thinner side of medium thickness (ponytail circumference) range.

I started taking Letrozole April 1, 2016. In late summer, 2016, I lost most of my hair in some massive sheds. I kept taking the Letrozole. Now I have about two years of hair re-growth from my scalp, as you can see from these pictures.

Left loose, most of my hair is so see-through thin that it will not show in photographs except over a black ground behind. The single braid view fairly shows diminution in the thickness down its length. Some of that is from natural taper, but most is from my hair loss of 2016. A couple of years ago I quit having my Husband do my haircuts for thinness; he has since been cutting it only for getting to lengths too bothersome for the two of us to manage.

Brothers and Sisters discouraged by hair thinning and hair loss from cancer treatment, remember, there may be a number of factors involved in that. We have all had the terrible shock and stress of cancer diagnosis. Most of us have suffered the injuries of surgeries following, sometimes with severe complications therefrom. Hair thinning that comes with aging may be a factor. Some have chemotherapy and radiation treatments before starting on anti-hormonal medicines. Remember that you can have hair re-growth, even while continuing treatment with the anti-hormonal medicine recommended for your case.

If you wish to cover your hair, or hair loss, or thinness by any means -- great! That will help protect your scalp from the deleterious effects of sunshine. It can make your hair thinning or loss inconspicuous. I live in a usually very warm, very humid climate, where I have known of only two women who could bear the discomfort of wearing wigs to conceal their hair loss in this climate. Life is short. Go for comfort, or go for what else you like best. If you like scarves, there are smoother and there are stretchier scarves that can serve your coverage purposes.

!!! Attitude is very powerful !!! It may not be determinative of your outcome, but it can certainly make the rest of the ride go far worse or far better.

Hairstick buns (and other buns), either as "topknot buns" or as buns worn at the rear side of the head, may be easiest for the shoulder and/or upper limb challenged, if they first tip (or hang) their heads forward and use longish hairsticks and longish hairpins. First assembled slightly tightly (or rather closely) -- but not for long at all, so as not to cause traction alopecia -- they can then easily be translated into flatter buns secured only by hairpins, and easily entirely covered with a scarf (or scarves) of one's choice. There are also available plastic hairpins that can get one's hairstyle through surgeries with the prohibitions on wearing metals during surgeries.

I have left a post or two elsewhere on BCO describing some simple ways to keep scarves fairly reliably anchored along the front and side hairlines. Use the search feature up over there on the left side margin and you should be able to find that post.

I am to expect to lose my hair within four days.

Whether you want to wear headcoverings or not -- be yourself. Headcoverings can keep your scalp warmer, conducive to faster hair growth; they can readily wick away perspiration; protect your scalp skin from sunshine; and they can be lovely fashion accessories. Warning! If you are fond of particularly long or particularly large scarves, keep mindful of hazards -- fans, elevator doors, flame or spark sources, and any other safety hazards. Remember about Isadora Duncan.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/dancer-isadora-duncan-is-killed-in-car-accident

Personal to Michelle: My present (Stage IVB) cancer is very different -- not my ILC -- so different that its type could not be identified by regional Pathologists. My biopsy specimen from the most accessible site was then sent to a specialty diagnostics Lab for the mystifying cases. They state 90% probability that it is of a minority subtype of another (distant primary) type, and apparently singular, heretofore unknown in some of its characteristics. So it is still a (figurative) head-scratcher among all the cancers that can happen. There were only a very few other possibilities that could not be entirely ruled out, their respective probabilities only trivial.

While I appreciate that Mammography and Pap Tests are the best we have for general screening for some cancers, I do not have so much confidence in either type screening.

See, I had this body part giving me continuous troubles thirty, thirty-one, thirty-two, and thirty-three years ago, for which I had numerous painful procedures and surgeries over those years. Twenty years ago, same. In the earlier years, the Doctor refused to remove the offending part, saying that if it were ever cancerous it would be needed for focus of cancer treatment; further, he insisted that I would change my mind and want to use it for reproduction. Over about the last twenty years, mostly long since my menopause, I have had recurrent dreams apparently indicating serious trouble from that troublesome part. I wondered if they were warning dreams. Soon after my ILC diagnosis I had another such recurrent dream, and I found a Doctor agreeable to removing the part.

I am living (and, I expect, dying) in a hurry, because a man who did not even know me thought he had better sense of my self-determination than I.

The front end of my life was Hell. I was orphaned by abandonment when I was a little girl. Then I was a brutalized slave. I have had a lifelong illness that has kept me very tired for most of my life, and I have other disabling conditions, the worst of which came from terrible injury from child labor. I would not bear the responsibility for bringing even one more into this World possibly to suffer such. You have heard (I mean read) my opinion that some needless body parts capable of producing serious-to-deadly trouble should be removed at birth (or, more mercifully, in early infancy) -- what I call "my mental list of body parts that should be removed at birth." I respect all your differences on that issue. Please understand that my view has a considered basis too.

I have had and will always carry in my heart the great joys and sorrows of being Mother to some four hundred critical care small mammals, most of them orphaned infants.

Other Friends: Those of you who know my true name and/or my social name -- I ask that you please never use /share / publicize those names of mine. Lovely names, both, I think, but I do not like how I came to have the first name given me. Please understand that there are persons I want kept far behind me in space and time, and I believe I owe them absolutely nothing, not even the least information about my health issues, nor my demise. Please respect my wishes on this.

Personal to Michelle: I will try to get written another note for you here when I feel able.

------
    Peace and Blessings, All.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Ice, I had no idea of your troubles. Literally, have tears in my eyes. As soon as I had breast cancer diagnosis, treatment, etc. I had an oopherectomy/hysterectomy of my choosing. My doctor was on board, as I did not want to do injections to shut down my ovaries. I am so much happier and healthier now, than I was before my elective surgery.

I am so sorry for your recent diagnosis, but girl, keep on keeping on and live your life every single day. That is all the we know we have on this earth, is one day at a time. Hugs to you my friend.

• Icietla
    Options

Thank you very much, Michelle. I will try to get more messages left on BCO to encourage members to take the medicines recommended them. I would thank you very much to point them out to others who seem to need that encouragement.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I will definitely look for your messages of encouragement and share them with others both on the fence and refusing to take anti hormonals. Are you in chemo now?

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,281
    Options

Ici (et la), we need you here, there and everywhere.

You are a beautiful soul but also more visibly beautiful than you give yourself credit for. What you have gone through your entire life is heartbreaking, and it's even more unfair what you are enduring now and what may await.

Michelle, my hair was already somewhat thinning due to plain ol' aging; the further thinning from letrozole seems to have been stemmed by taking 5000mg of biotin ("Hair, Skin & Nails") nightly and treating my hair gently. I wash it no oftener than every 5-7 days or so (using Living Proof Perfect Hair Day dry shampoo in between if necessary). I studiously avoid any sulfate or sodium chloride-containing shampoos. (I have travel size bottles of Kevin Murphy and Living Proof). I go way too long between color touchups. One indulgence I do allow myself is keratin treatments, but instead of every 3 months I go as long as 5-6 months between them--basically waiting till the frizz prevails again. I try to limit my exposure to flatirons & hairdryers (though an ion brush, used gently, does help). One thing that helps maintain the structure & smoothness is clipping my hair up in a spring-loaded plastic clip at night so I don't sweat from my neck into it, clipping it up if I am outside in wind or rain, using the A/C in my car and insisting that cab or rideshare drivers roll up the windows when on highways. Wind tangles my hair, and when it tangles it breaks.

I will admit, though, that when my hair gets frizzy from humidity it does appear thicker due to the "shingles" of the cuticle opening up to let the moisture in. But it's not a look that works for me.

Living Proof also has body-boosting conditioners & dry sprays to add texture without salt.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I love Living Proof. I am trying to use up products that I have on hand, and select one from LP, as my go to product line. It took almost a year and a half after radiation, to get my hair filling in again. I am very pleased with how it has thicked up. I am like you and wash my hair every 7 or so days. My hair does not get terribly oily, because we run A/C continuously and it has a more drying effect, so my hair looks great for longer periods of time.

I have somewhat longish hair, and have a great fake ponytyail -18 inches, from Soho. It is amazing and so cute.

Thanks for sharing, Sandy.

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207
    Options

Michelle, you mention radiation as having caused hair loss. I haven't factored that, or surgical anesthesia, in my hair thinning, which I attributed solely to anastrazole. Really not certain about it now.

I decided, at least for now, to try growing in my natural (gray) color. There's a big trend toward "silver," and I'm interested in avoiding damage from hair dye. I also use Living Proof: Full Volume Dry Blast, which has a nice way of pouffing the hair. Maybe I'll look into more in that line.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

My hair started shedding, before I even took Tamoxifen and right after radiation. I have taken very good care of it and eat a healthy diet.

• gkbuser
    gkbuser Member Posts: 300
    Options

Miranda, I am following this closely. I'm very interested in also trying to go gray. I just have no idea how to go from a very dark brunette bottle look to gray. I know if I grow it out it's just going to look horrible. But I've thought about just each time I dye my hair now for touch-ups going lighter and lighter and then eventually maybe it won't look so bad when it grows out? You should post before and after pictures. I'm loving some of the modern gray hair looks.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

GK, if you start going to medium ash blonde with some silver highlights, it will mimic what your natural hair color would be. Gradually, increase to a light ash brown with gray highlights, and see if that is close to what your outgrowth is. If you keep it on the ashy side with silver, you are going to be able to grow it out without much headache. You need to let a hair colorist assist in this venture. All the baby boomers are asking the same questions, that is why you are seeing an emergence of gray on all ages of people.

• gkbuser
    Options

thanks Michelle! I will say I dye my own hair so I don't have a hair colorist. My outgrowth is completely White. So when it starts to grow out I have a very dark brunette and completely white line. I call it my skunk stripe I like the idea of just doing highlights gradually by gradually. We will have to see if I ever get the guts to try it.

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256
    Options

Color your part lines and front and let everything else grow out. Also gradually start using lighter ashier colors. It's going to have to get awkward for a bit if you are trying to do it yourself with out a hair dresser... but it's doable.

• miranda2060
    Options

gkbuser, I'm finding that doing the "go silver" thing has made me feel a little less terrible about the prospect of losing hair to anastrazole. Not sure how I will handle it when I resume the medication (if I resume) in a couple weeks. But the "silver" project is at least something positive and healthy to look forward to. I have dark brown hair (have been home-dyeing it a lighter brown for years), and fairly long, so I can expect it to take maybe two years to be fully gray. Not even sure if I will like it, but the ladies in the Facebook group I follow call it "nature's highlights," and say their hair is healthier without dye. They strongly advise going "cold turkey," which means there will be an awkward period. Some call this "ombre," having multiple colors, which is kind of in fashion anyway.

If you're on Facebook, you might consider joining the group called The Silver Circle -- lots of very encouraging ladies and photos of their beautiful silver looks. I also bought a book about transitioning, and the many methods for doing so.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/silver-hair-lorra...,+Low_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP212586&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrszdBRDWARIsAEEYhrcopdbvLFGhOpkFZQpNHNAe3dPoweal9Hxt4TnnZV57keqEY89ehYkaAtnuEALw_wcB

• gkbuser
    Options

Rachel and Miranda you guys have given me something to think about. Thanks guys! I'm definitely going to take a look at the Facebook group!

• Stillme54
    Stillme54 Member Posts: 12
    Options

I have been taking Anastrozole for 3 1/2 years and only in the last 3 months have noticed extremely bad breakage and frizz. At first, I assumed it was something caused by wearing a straw hat after the last time I colored my hair, since it seems mostly on my crown. I still thin this may have contributed. I visited my oncologist's CNP a couple days ago and she recommended Hair, Skin,and Nails vitamins and Glucosomin/ Chondroitin which is for my joint and bone pain which has increased greatly in the last year. I'm struggling with wanting to color my hair, but want to wait and see if I have any improvement from the vitamins. I would rather be gray than have this terrible hair! I did not have any chemo or radiation, so it couldn’t be a result of that. It seems weird that this side effect from the anastrozole would be this late into taking it, but it seems that all of my side effects came on after the 2nd year

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Icietla
    Options

Icietla's Husband types this for Icietla.
    ---------------------------------------------

I have invited my Husband to find comfort, understanding, and Community with similarly situated Life Partner Caregivers here on BCO. He says that all he needs is me. He wishes for me to hang in here for as long as I can. I will.
    ---------------
    I have checked over in the Search Feature to see whether an f-word passes as acceptable posting content here on BCO, and I have found that it seems to be used plenty and often here on BCO. For this once, I am going to use a word of that nature, too.
    ----------------
    This post will not be entirely off-topic. It will touch on the subject of furries (to include related "skinnies"), as well as some hair-related ideas for members ChiSandy and MeToo14.
    ----------------

Those of you who are aware of the particulars of my (presently known) disease state, I ask that you please not share those details with any others. The family picture I left in the Stage IV/MBC section says enough for us (my Family here) about our present understanding of our situation.

-------------------

For ChiSandy -- We all know that much worse deliberate things have been done to many more people, groups of people, even large populations of people. And the only answers (or explanations) ever to be offered therefor are things like Evil, Meanness, Tribalism (which includes so many more "-isms"), some people thinking they are superior to others, some thinking that Might makes Right, all stuff like that. [And, as we know, there is still all the difference between Culture and Civilization.] And for their inadequacy, none of them can fairly be called (real) answers, reasons, or explanations. So it is only fair to call all those wrongs senseless, just plain senseless.

Please know that I am not a person to be pitied. Sure, there was a point in time to before which I would never willingly go back, but by comparison, most of my life since has felt (fairly) charmed -- usually a life of peace and quiet and feeling safe. I have too much cause for gratitude and happiness to let myself slide into unhappiness for awfully long (and now I have yellow and blue thingies, too, to help me along). I have generally been very happy through my adulthood. The tiredness has necessarily been rather isolating. I have also enjoyed my freedom to avoid or otherwise limit contact with more troublesome types.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWlEsta4xS8

You are so kind. I have partial facial paralysis, and a paralyzed part can get incidentally moved by the self-powered part beside it, and then that paralyzed part can get stuck for extended times. This sometimes causes (assuming) strangers to me to have misunderstandings as to my disposition. When I am made aware of it, I tell them that they seem to be confused by my partial facial paralysis. Then it is up to them to take me at my word, or not, as to my sincerity. Still, I like my face much better than it was before it was (pretty well) rebuilt when I was a young woman. Anyway, "I'm younger than that now."

When I got my mind turned from wondering why, more and more would come to me as I became ready for it, and I have since seen myself as very fortunate, having got my share of blessings -- far beyond my ability to count or measure. I believe things happened to me for their purposes -- some from which to learn, but all to make me who I would become. We are all always becoming. Anyway, my belief that there is some purpose in most everything, whether or not we can recognize or understand it, has generally kept my spirits up, helped me pull my spirits back up, and kept me thankful and becoming. My post at the link following says a bit more about my beliefs about gifts/tests/challenges/stuff like that.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/102/topics/865996?page=1#post_5245254

-----------------

For Stage IV/MBC section Brothers and Sisters -- As you can read from my last prior post on this thread, since I joined your group, I have learned that my present cancer is almost certainly not breast cancer. While one of the very few cancers that cannot be entirely ruled out in my present cancer case would be a peculiar type breast cancer, our understanding is that that would be very unlikely. For this reason -- the near-certainty that I do not now belong in your group section -- , I will not be back to participate in there unless I am invited back to there. I understand the difference in how it feels to have Stage IV diagnosis, the difference in knowing what we know. I understand why so many of you keep only to that section of BCO.

Thank you all for your love and support. My love, hugs, and best wishes for you all.
    ----------------

For Michelle -- Yes. Subject to disease state and other factors permitting, I am presently assured of only two more chemo treatments of the three planned for me at three-week intervals. We are hopeful for more time and the possibility of more and other treatments to buy me more time.

I am using much of my waking times every day to achieve some things. Some of my recent focus has been on some things to make our place easier maintenance and better for my Husband's aging in place.

Michelle, for a better understanding of this update as to my present treatment plan, please start with my post on this page linked here, which generally describes much about my present condition, besides about my condition from I think around fall, 2008, to I think around spring, 2011.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics/763459?page=56

In light of my existing neuropathy, as well as its much worse degree prior, there is serious concern -- not on my part, no! I have this Attitude thing, you know -- that if we were to go any harder with my chemo, I might be rendered bedridden, wheelchair-bound, convalescent chair-bound, or the like, incapable of walking at all. It is also our understanding that my (possible) prospects for any (possible) continuing treatment/s, if any, will depend not only on therapeutic response (if any), but also on my keeping ambulatory, and also on my not having any injurious mishaps. Some of you may be aware from one or more of my fairly recent posts that I started on Prolia treatment earlier this year.

So I am staying with my mobility appliances -- some of them with some improvements -- and good sturdy armchairs, sleeping beside an excellent, well-anchored safety rail, and I am getting up and about much more during my waking times, sometimes even getting out to other places more than I had for so long. In short, short of keeping me in bed or in a convalescent chair, we are taking great care for my safety.

I looked through the entire Hormonal Therapy discussion topics directory to decide where to place my most recent post in the Hormonal Therapy section. Nearly all the threads listed therein appeared to be too limited in scope for my post. Most of them pertained only to particular treatments, and my post related my personal knowledge of three breast cancer cases -- one having Tamoxifen treatment; one having no Endocrine Therapy; and one having Letrozole treatment. Because of the much narrower scope/s of most of the other discussion threads in this discussions section, it seemed to me that my post would have its best fit on that particular discussion thread where I left it.

Keep up the great work, Friend. My best wishes for your Peace, continuing Good Health, and every other Blessing.

------------------------

Some unsolicited, probably unwanted consumer advice -- 1. Best not to trust polypropylene or other plastic chairs, stools, or the like, with your safety. Age degrades them. Light degrades them. Their inherent flexibility weakens them, too. What is an intact spine/cranium/sacrum/femur/etc. worth? [No response required.] They are all priceless. 2. United States residents, best to get well acquainted with your rights under the Fair Housing Act. Unless you live at a zero-entry dwelling place, if you are able, seriously consider getting an appropriate, low-to-no-maintenance mobility ramp before you need it. If you are without it by the time you truly need it, you may be effectively trapped. Ten months after we got ours, it helped save my Husband's life. It enabled us to get him to the Hospital faster than an ambulance's round trip from there would have, and it enabled his return home from the Hospital much sooner than it could have been otherwise.
    ---------------------

For my Friend under the Desert Sky -- Thank you for making me feel so welcomed; for giving me the feeling of belonging in this Community; for the encouragement that I had something worthwhile to contribute here; and for making me feel not nearly so misfit here on BCO with my conditions that have so limited my participation here.
    ------------------

For Traveltext -- I think I may have caused some confusion when I wrote on your new ribbon thread of need to raise Awareness about breast cancer. By "Awareness," I did not mean simply the near-universal information that a disease (class) called breast cancer exists. I meant much better and more useful information about breast cancer/s.

Please excuse my slowness. I do not know why I had in mind at the time only the reproduction of your new ribbon image by (print or electronic type) imaging and the complications that would necessarily be involved in its production by weaving of actual ribbon material.

The new ribbon symbol could be made in pin form -- as example, small, clutch-fastening pins suitable for wear on hats and lapels. I suppose many lowish cost suppliers could produce those. In Mexico are numerous highly skilled silversmiths' shops that could and would do custom work to produce orders of high quality silver pins with longer pinning mechanisms -- typical brooch type -- with fired-on, durable enameling to fill in the coloring in its desired positions and proportions within fine (thin) borders of silver between to delineate the sections to be enameled in the chosen colors.

I have recently put a post on the "Tackling a Racial Gap in Breast Cancer Survival" thread. Just some thoughts I have long wanted to leave there for the others, and more recently, for you also.

The scene in the link following is not about the breast cancer epidemic. It is about Humankind getting through another type epidemic crisis. Still, it has some things to say -- in particular, about the capacity of youngsters to adjust to and deal with what might before have been considered strictly "grownup stuff." It may be discouraging. It may be depressing. It may also be understood as inspiring Drive and Hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YHeYBVfZHM

Thank you so much, Brother, for all you have been and will be doing for Humankind through your work.

------------------

If you have cancer, please do not beat yourself up by looking for cause/s to blame yourself for having it. Cancer is a force of Nature.

http://canceratlas.cancer.org/history-cancer/

------------------

I have seen some discussions by women members of BCO wondering if their having had prior (often it had been done fairly recently) fertility treatments had perhaps been a factor in their subsequently having breast cancer diagnoses. Many have wondered. Nobody knows.

For the recently diagnosed breast cancer patients who are considering delay or interruption of their recommended cancer treatment to have fertility treatment/s, I want to share here some thoughts for them to consider on their own, evaluate on their own, and apply or reject on their own.

First, as you would be advised for an airplane flight, put your own mask on first! Do your best in your fight for your life.

When in doubt, do not! [N.B.: This is not about putting your own mask on first.]

Your Doctors have the best presently known information as to what will give you your best survival prospects. I suggest that you follow your Doctors' advice aimed at your best survival prospects.

If you are a woman who has been diagnosed with early stage (any operable stage) invasive breast cancer, there is a substantial (some thirty percent) probability that your breast cancer will go on to distant metastasis (Stage IV). Discussions of this finding abound on this website and others.

Each child is a gift. Each child is also a test. Babies and children are not ornaments. They are complete human beings who need love -- respect necessarily goes with love, of course --, guidance, education, someone/s watching out for their best interests, and so much more.

Back to Tribalism. There is an old saying, "Tribalism is a skin disease." It is absolutely true. I believe it can also be fairly characterized as a systemic disease. I suggest that if you cannot recognize, respect, appreciate, and care about the humanity and needs of any and every child already in this World, you should seriously consider whether and why you should create any other/s no more worthy -- no less worthy and no more worthy -- of your caring for them. There is another old saying, "It takes a village…" It is absolutely true. One more old statement of guidance to consider -- I expect that many more of you will recognize it and its source -- To save (even) one person has the same quality as to save all of Humanity. The statement goes further than that. It is absolutely true.

In this World are beings masquerading and passing themselves off as human, many of whom, for image reasons, are particularly attracted to involvement with (actual or ostensible) Philanthropic Organizations. I hope you will think about what kinds of inhuman sick sicko like-minded sadistic fucks would and could make careers of exploiting helpless children.

There are other ways to be a Mother (or Parent) --- other than by reproduction. There are so many children in need of love, care, education, protection, advocacy, more, all the things those children should have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiszBM4hc3g

I think it was about ten years or so ago that I stopped following the annual estimated euthanasia rates -- then estimated at some twelve million to fifteen million lives per year, and those estimates were only for euthanasia at the governmental animal control/shelter operations, and only in this one Country. Most of those killed thereby are perfectly nice companion animals having to die only for want of homes. Again, Tribalism is a very common, terrible affliction among Humankind.

There is another whole Community of animal rescue and animal welfare folks, sacrificing all they can of their lives (time), efforts, and other resources to save all they can of the animals in need of their help. And it is as if they sacrifice their lives to holding their fingers against a relative few of what seem like countless gushing deadly leaks in a proverbial dike. What can one person do about such a huge problem? Something. Something that matters.

We adopted our special needs Son at age four days. He suffers from cruel genes too. You can see him on this thread here and also on some other BCO threads. He is no less happy for not passing along his own cruel genes to others. He is no less happy for not reproducing.

This World would not run out of fine companion animals in need if so many more of the humans responsible for them were to have them sterilized in early kittenhood, puppyhood, bunnyhood, etc. This World would not run out of children in need if so many more persons were to decide not to reproduce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nl1qv2GrC8

-------------------

For ksusan and others in the Living Without Reconstruction section -- You have helped me and my spirits through the worst part of my breast cancer experience, more than I could easily say. Please know that I appreciate all your caring and support.

ksusan -- The next thing Kilgore (Robert Duvall's character in "Apocalypse Now") says in that scene (following my corruption of his script, I mean) is: "Someday this War is gonna end." Always a nice wish and thought, huh? But I did not know whether I should add that line to your picture, so I did not. It is your picture. Whether that other line belongs in it is up to you.

--------------------

For some others -- There is no conspiracy to keep cancer patients from having cancer cure/s. The Researchers and Doctors and their Loved Ones also suffer and die from cancers.

If you do not know of all the differences regular super-cycles of Influenza have made to Humankind, find out. If you do not know of all the differences regular cycles of Poliomyelitis have made to Humankind, find out. If you do not know what a tremendous industry had to be made and sustained for the treatment and management of Tuberculosis, find out. I could go on and on. Something to consider, how that part of the World really works. Yes, progress and breakthroughs seem to come only too slowly for us -- but very learned folks all over the World are doing the best they can in the War on Cancer/s. I urge you to take advantage of the treatment/s your Physicians recommend as the best (presently known) for your survival prospects.

------------------------

For RIBP (and similarly situated) Brothers and Sisters -- I have for Free-Cycling one more kaftan of a length suited for taller Sisters. There are also some kaftans and another dress well suited for easier dressing for average height to shorter height Sisters. Brothers, there is an all-cotton Panabrisa shirt having four front pockets, size M/L.

I will try to get around to listing these other things in the Free-Cycle section, but I cannot assure you that I will be able to do that. Meanwhile, if you have need of any of these items, please make contact by Private Message and I will try to transmit to you photo views and general descriptions when I am able. Please be patient with me about getting back to you.
    -----------------

If you are a registered BCO member, you are, presumably, a free adult. This is also for those readers who may be younger, for them to consider and draw on as adults.

Please, never -- never! Never make your own happiness dependent (or conditional) on any other person/s or circumstance/s -- not on any existing or hoped-for relationship/s, and not on any particular personal wishes/goals/objectives/aims. If you assign responsibility for your own happiness to some other person/s or to attaining any particular life milestone/s, you may spend your life to chase that happiness that you may never have. If you choose to delegate (or assign) responsibility for your own happiness, you are still responsible for that choice, and you may never have your happiness. Every good circumstance you have, everything you can do -- all these things are gifts and tests. Life can be full of surprises. Your life can change in an instant. Any or all your gifts, including any or all of your abilities, might be taken from you in an instant.

If you spend your life chasing some condition/s you might never have, upon which you have determined that your own happiness will (or must) depend, and your circumstances never meet that test for you and your delegated assignment of responsibility for your happiness, then what have you done with your life and all your potential and opportunities to find satisfactions and happiness? Please consider__

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuUW6BTE3FQ

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWGxYlQudOA
    ---------------

For MeToo14 -- Please excuse my slowness in responding to your hair products question that you posted elsewhere on this thread.

Shortly after my breast cancer diagnosis, I tried Cantu Shea Butter Moisturizing Conditioner. As far as I could learn, it had no ingredients known nor suspected to cause any health issues whatsoever. I used it only once. It did not give my hair the "slip" I needed to comb it out easily enough, as I could get with conditioners containing silicone additives. I passed the remainder of my Cantu bottle along to an acquaintance having shorter, thicker, curlier (about hair type 3a/3b curliness) hair. She said that she liked that product very much.

--------------
    For ChiSandy -- When your hair is dry (here I mean not at all wet); and when your hair is also bare of styling product/s and recently applied keratin treatment; and when your atmospheric conditions are also dry, then you might like to try some (I am thinking small size) Ficcare hair clips. You might gather and twist your hair at the back and wear I think a small size (authentic) Ficcare clip or two around it at the back.

I think in your (indicated) locale you might find some department stores having some selections of those, or you might find some by mail order from sellers who would accept returns. Those ways you might try some out in a few styles. Lots of folks like them very much. I like to see them, but I never gave myself the indulgence of getting even one for myself. I think you might like them. N.B.: I understand it is hard to know when to quit collecting them.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrEzez1w7tb5QoAv1dXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=ficarre&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcasa

https://www.ficcare.com/

---------------
    For BCO and Moderators -- Moderators, I am concerned that my indicated diagnosis and treatment history down under my posts may give uninformed others the impression that my Letrozole treatment failed in my case, resulting in recurrence of my breast cancer. I have seen that many other members have additional statements appearing down in those sections under their posts. I would very much appreciate instructions from you as to how I could add to my own diagnosis and treatment history section a statement to correct that misapprehension that would likely be drawn from that section as it presently appears under my posts. [Now edited to thank the Moderators for their very helpful instructions on this.]

BCO -- Please consider adding to your pink logo the colors blue and black.

BCO -- Please try to put Fear back into popular notions of breast cancer. Fear is an integral and intrinsic part of every breast cancer experience.

---------
    Peace and Blessings, All.

• Icietla
    Options

Stillme54 -- See if this thread linked here -- or anything linked on it -- is helpful.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/80/topics/853666?page=1#top

• Icietla
    Options

Another for MeToo14- I understand the Carol's Daughter line of natural hair care products is very good for moisturizing and moisture retention. For years I have done regular deep conditioning with the Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Hair Smoothie. Now it is sold in some grocery stores for considerably lower prices than I have seen before from any other retailers.

• Stillme54
    Stillme54 Member Posts: 12
    Options

I have started straightening my hair again, and went back to using Kenra volumizing shampoo and conditioner which really helps make it shinier. It makes the grayish roots look better. I also stopped at the Walmart salon, yesterday and they recommended a product by Matrix called Total Results Break Fix. It is a leave in creamy conditioner. I used it this morning and it really helped! I’m hoping less time in the sun now that winter is approaching will help, too, since all this started this summer when I was in the sun a lot. I have always used a thermal styling spray, also by Kenra when I’ve straightened it, to protect it.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Good for you, Stillme54!!

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    Options

Icietla, thank you for your kind thoughts and effort to tie this all together. I hope you are doing as well as possible and are secure and comfortable.

• Icietla
    Options

Thank you very much, ksusan. The medicines for the, ah, discomforts have been tremendously helpful.

I can still do some stuff. Going to vote today. Having always to remember to lock my knees before taking any steps.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Ice, I so appreciated you writing the information down for all of us to see, from earlier in October. I am glad that you got out to vote. I hope that you are doing okay. Let us know.

• Icietla
    Options

Thank you very much, Michelle. I have wanted to congratulate you on the arrival of your new bundles of joy.

--------------------

I have another bit of unsolicited, probably unwanted consumer advice, in case any other members should ever need it -- Pay cash (or have your Loved One/s pay cash) for diapers unless you (or they) do not mind getting a steady stream of spam from diaper suppliers.

-------------------

Thank you all so much for your well wishes. I wish you All The Best.

(((Hugs))) to All.

• g22gretch
    g22gretch Member Posts: 2
    Options

hi all. i am also suffering from hair thinning. my hair was growing in thicker after chemo, but i think it's the arimidex that's now thinning what i had coming in. (i stopped taking tamoxifen bc of side effects and now i'm on arimidex and lupron shots.) anyway, i saw a dermatologist the other day who recommended biotin (which i've already been taking for months), hair skin and nails supplement, and men's rogaine. has anyone here tried rogaine... i don't think i see any mention of it.

• Nyquist
    Nyquist Member Posts: 4
    Options

hi, I finished chemo in April 2018 and my hair has grown back but in a slower rate than I used to. Also another significant changes was I now have curly hair! I’ve always have straight hair all my life but now it has become very curly especially the area around the bottom near my neck. Has anyone anyone experience the same?

• g22gretch
    g22gretch Member Posts: 2
    Options

yes, my hair grew back in curly also. it's a thing -- "chemo curl" it's called. i finished chemo a year ago tomorrow, and i think it's starting to grow in straight now... i have curly ends, straight roots, and thinning hair.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

From my experience, give your hair a year or more to recover from the stress of diagnosis, surgery and treatment. My hair fell out after radiation was completed and worsened over the next few months. I don't wash my hair everyday, far from it, and I think I have helped recover my hair loss by not worrying about it. I had parts of my hair fall out, that are several inches shorter than the rest of my hair. I don't know when they fell out or how, but I am feeling pretty good about my hair now

One of my secrets, is hair extensions that match my hair perfectly. When I feel like I want more volume, I clip those in and instant growth!!! Also, I have a really nice fake pony tail from Soho Hair, which is found in some malls and online. I feel very confident when I wear my "additional hair."

• miranda2060
    Options

Michelle, can you tell me a little more about hair extensions? I met a gorgeous woman in my Look Good, Feel Better class who had them, and they looked marvelous. Where do you get them, and how do you get them to match your hair? Exploring so many options about hair thinning; yesterday bought a camo-printed head wrap (very Rambo, lol!) to save me some worry about it; otherwise I keep touching the top of my head and noticing the thinness of my once rather glorious mane there....