Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Keeping our Hair Healthy while taking anti hormonals

Options

Comments

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Thanks, for writing me back, Lizbeth. I am not too familiar with Mammaprint, but you made the smart choice. How much of your hair have you been able to retain? While doing my research on Monat, I found a product that people use after chemo that helps regrow hair. Some women put the hair oil on their scalp. I know it sounds strange, but apparently it does work. I use the root lifter, and a smoothing cream (I think it thickens the follicles). So far, so good, but I am a skeptic. Nioxin, after chemo of course, could stimulate your scalp and help regrow hair, as well. I would not use anything harsh at this point.

This is my hair today. Just got back from stylist. Almost a year on Tamoxifen, finished radiation 11/16, hyst/oopherectomy 1/17, lumpectomy 8/16. I did lose hair in the beginning, right after surgeries and radiation. It is finally coming back in, but finer, I think. We toned it today, but I am not putting any lowlights in it until mid February. Trying for the least amount of chemicals right now.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

I am trying this clairol root touch up spray. I think it might help me go longer before colorings.

• lizabethm
    lizabethm Member Posts: 105
    Options

Michelle, your hair looks amazing! I have most of my hair, it thinned on top where the Dignicap did not make good contact but most people have no idea that I am going through chemotherapy based upon my appearance. I will def look into the Monat then. I plan to unload a full arsenal of vitamins, supplements, and whatever good things you ladies can suggest towards building my hair back up into a healthy, pre-cancer state. I would probably swing upside down from a chandelier if someone said it would help! ;-) I will start radiation in Feb and then probably Tamoxifen right afterwards.

I will have to go back and read through these threads to see all the wisdom that has been shared here.

• lizabethm
    Options

By the way, Mammoprint is like the next generation of the Onco Test. It looks at the genes of the tumor and looks for genes associated with recurrence. Onco Test looks at 19 genes whereas Mammaprint looks at 70.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Liz, I believe a diet high in protein, will help hair regrowth. Normal levels of iron and D, can be helpful as well. Some women take biotin and have luck with that. I take 50,000 units of D per week.

• lizabethm
    Options

Michelle, thanks for those nutritional tips. I just finished my last chemo yesterday and it has left my iron low so I am taking supplements now for that. Thanks for letting me know about how much Vitamin D as well. I start radiation next and when then begin Tamoxifen. I saved most of my hair by using a cold cap and I certainly don't want to have it thin during hormonal therapy.

• Novmoon
    Novmoon Member Posts: 41
    Options

Helllo Ladies!

I have been on letrozole (Femara) for 16 months now. It was not until a couple months ago that my hair started thinning rapidly. My hairstylist just said I should be glad it was so thick to begin with, but I don't want to lose any more. Have noted your suggestions and will try them. That link posted about Biotin was interesting, so will hold on that. Note that I did not have chemo, just the AI, so cannot compare to a lot of you, but have the problem just related to the letrozole.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    Options

meow13.....maybe you could talk to your hairdresser about a keratin smoothing treatment. Aging hair gets dull because of the graying process. Graying also changes the texture of the hair. Basically its aging hair, just like aging skin! I had the smoothing treatment because none of the products I tried helped. I was very happy with it. I also get anti aging treatments which is basically hylauronic acid. Hylauronic acid is also great for the skin. I use that too. let me know if you want more information on it. Gfood luck to all. Hope this helps.

• Novmoon
    Novmoon Member Posts: 41
    Options

Just to clarify if you were referring to me, my hair is silky smooth and shiny but thinning out on top. I have had gray hair since my early 30's due to heredity and never had a problem before being on this drug. If you check the side effects it includes hair thinning, I have had the usual hot flashes and joint pain, but now suffering with severe back pain and now mouth burning (??) with no change in diet or meds.. Problems were really manageable for the first year on this, now seems to be taking a toll.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Novmoon, the saying "grin and bare it" comes into play. I understand how you feel about having thick hair and then thinning. If the thinning is really bad, could you ask to be put on a different medication? Perhaps your hair could have a "moratorium" period during the getting to know you phase of taking the medication. I like the Monat smoothing cream and root lift for volume. I know someone on this website has purchased a hair halo, which is a fall/hairpiece/extensions all on an invisible microfiliment that fits over the crown of the head. If I get desperate, I may get one, but they are pricey. I wonder if insurance would pay for hair pieces, since hair loss is a side effect of these medications?

Lizbeth, Biotin, Vitamin D, high end range of iron levels, lots of protein seem to help. The Monat products seem to help as well. I am so glad the the cold cap allowed you to keep most of your hair, that is awesome. If not too personal, could you post a pic. I think it would be great to see the befores and afters of using those. I did not need chemo, but If I did I would use the cold cap.

Meow, where do you get the root product? Is it a powder and does it look flaky?

One the upside, I am seeing alot of new shorter pieces of hair growth, but they do seem a bit finer. Thanks everyone for their participation. I think we have to keep as much of our original selves as possible, because our self esteem and dignity are attached. Hair is just one aspect, but an important one.

Here is my mother's hair, a pic taken yesterday, at almost 89 years old.....

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I plan to put a mask on my hair and sit under a professional hair dryer on Friday. I think a hydrating mask would be the best, because my hair is slightly dry and is processed with some color. I do want to know the name of the root powder, so that I can touch up my roots until I get color. I am very careful with my hair, and only wash it once or twice per week. Trying to leave the good oils in it and not strip it any further. Been using Rose Oil Volume by Matrix for shampoo, with Monat Leave in Conditioner afterwards. What masks or deep conditioners do you like?

• dtad
    Options

Hi Michelle...coconut oil makes a great hair mask and is very inexpensive!

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    Options

If you like Matrix products, I do for finer texture hair that tends to get weighted down, they have Hydrasource Mask and Conditioning Balm that are both great.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Dtad, my daughter uses coconut oil, but I am afraid of it stripping my lowlights out of my hair, leaving me too blonde. I will look at this further.

Twills, I like the Rose Oil Volume by Matrix, but will keep Hydrasource mask on my list.

Well, off to the dentist!!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Seems that everyone is worried about hair loss on the hormonal forum. The less I think about it, the less I notice it, the further away from surgery I get, the better my hair becomes. I find that if I am dwelling on something, I will worry, get anxious, get stressed and have more issues. I was freaking out Spring of 2017, after my hysterectomy/oopherectomy when my hair continued to shed. My hair started shedding during radiation. I am doing everything possible to keep my hair and body healthy, just knowing that the day will come when I am finished with treatment and my hair will be wonderful. This is my 21 year old son's hair. It is thick and curly, like mine had been most of my life. Oh, yeah, that's my dog, Sylvester. #WE_WILL_ALL_GET_OUR_HAIR_GROOVE_ON

• dtad
    Options

Michelle...I have highlights and low lights. I never had a problem with coconut oil stripping my hair.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Today, I used Living Proof pre-shampoo, which has some type of moisturizing oil in it. Then I followed with their Restore Shampoo and Conditioner. I really liked the texture of the shampoo, and it lathered well. The conditioner left my hair smooth and untangled. I have been using samples of the Monat and Living Proof, to see what I like the best. I am a bit worried about the Monat, and some of their negative reviews with hair loss. I don't use alot of product, and I don't wash my hair or put anything in my hair on a daily basis. Some of the people using it may have clogged their follicles and damaged their scalp, just not sure. It is so hard to know what is the best product to use. Anyone with experience with either Monat or Living Proof?

• dtad
    Options

Hi Michelle..I used Living Proof for awhile but stopped because there are just too many products in the line. I have been using Wen for about 3 years now and really like it. Absolutely no chemicals. Also its a cleansing conditioner and does not lather. With Wen after cleansing I use a small amount as a leave in conditioner and then the mousse. Everyone is different but this works for my fine wavy hair.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I am considering alternating products and brands. I have to cleanse my scalp, per derm doctor, with shampoo. I believe that using any product over a period of time, creates apathy in the hair follicles. They no longer want to do their job, and request a clarifying shampoo to energize them. Once in a while, I will use Paul Mitchel's Tea Tree Shampoo which is invigorating, but not a daily shampoo.

• dtad
    Options

I agree. I do a clarifying shampoo before my color treatments...

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I went shopping the other day and picked up the Amika brand that offers hydration. It has sea buckthorn berry oil in it and worked very well. My hair felt hydrated and was able to be blown out well. I also bought a product by Redken, called "soft" for hydrating deep treatment. That will be about a one time per week use. Trying to get my hair in condition for upcoming color session. I like the Monat, but have read conflicting views about it regarding hair loss, so I am a bit skeptical. Glad I only purchased a few products. Plan to rotate, rotate, rotate. I am fortunate to have my niece with an esthetics license be able to purchase these products at cost or it would get expensive. Hope everyone is having a great hair day!! Hugs to all.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I am cornering the market on the Amika brand. It is changing its packaging and is deeply discounted. So far, I have liked their shampoo, conditioner, and leave in type smoothing cream. Because it is so dry in Illinois, I add several small drops to the end of my hair of the "leave in cream." My hair drinks it up. When it is cold outside, and the heat is up on the inside, the air quality takes its toll on our hair.

• gigibee
    gigibee Member Posts: 69
    Options

I think Aveda has a hair growth line, has anyone tried it? I have terribly thin hair already and am afraid of what will happen when I start Tamoxifen.

• smo23915
    smo23915 Member Posts: 71
    Options

Yes, I am using the Aveda products. I love the shampoo and conditioner, my hair seems tangle free. (I have long hair). I have tried the spray in product to stimulate growth, once or twice. Not sure I like that part of the products. They are very expensive, but I think I am seeing a difference in my hair. Sharon

I just finished my 5 years of Tamoxifen and for certain it has made my hair thin, I am hoping it will now start growing back.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

smo, how much of your hair do you think you lost on Tamoxifen? I have seen alot of new hair growth, but maybe a bit finer texture. Just trying to take care of it everyday and let nature take its course.

In the meantime, there are hair volumizers that can thicken the appearance of fine hair. Monat, Amika, Living Proof are some lines that offer creams that add fullness and body. This time of year we have to be so careful of the cold weather, static, and interior dry air.

• Icietla
    Icietla Member Posts: 321
    Options
  • Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Not sure what the above picture is about, but nice,shiny hair nonetheless.

• Icietla
    Icietla Member Posts: 321
    Options

Thank you. Still trying to get up the courage to show you all how thin my hair is.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Ice, it does not matter how thick or thin your hair is, what matters is that you can make the most of what you have. There are products on the market that will help with fullness. As of April, you have 2 years into your Femara, only 3 to go. How was you hair before Femara? If mine would get bad enough, I would get a wig. I have been checking out Christie Brinkley's hair pieces on HSN or QVC, can't remember which. There is also a device called a hair halo, that has extensions on a wire that fits over the occipital bone.

You do not have to show us how thick or thin your hair is, but what can we do to make you feel better about your hair?

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I tried the Redken "soft" deep conditioner last night. It felt very hydrating, but after putting it in a towel, I had to add Amika leave in cream because it felt a bit dry. After blow drying it, it felt deeply conditioned. The Redken "all soft" product can be used one time per week.

Here is some information about it from the Ulta site

Details-

Redken All Soft Heavy Cream Super Treatment provides rich, deep conditioning for intense softness and frizz control on extremely dry, brittle hair. Advanced silkening formulas contain Redken's exclusive interbond conditioning system and illuminating silk-luxe complex to provide dry hair with intense softness, replenishment and strength. Hair is wrapped in softness with increased manageability, movement and luminous shine.

Key ingredients & Benefits:

• Keratin-enrich complex, dramatically transforms the texture of dry, brittle hair
    • Moisturizing factor, replenishes and maintains essential moisture balance
    • Argan oil, replenishes hair for intense softness
    • Interlock protein network, rebuilds surface protection, and provides progressive conditioning and strengthens hair's core
    • Gold Camelina, adds luminous shine
    • Avocado oil, provides silky softness
    • Olive oil, inside-out conditioning
    • Silk amino acid, helps strengthen

I am going to use a curling iron later and will see how my hair behaves. Will post an update.