Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Keeping our Hair Healthy while taking anti hormonals

Options
12345679»

Comments

• whatjusthappened
    whatjusthappened Member Posts: 178
    Options

Hi all. I will be starting hormonal therapy in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of what I might do ahead of time to minimize the hair thinning. This is already an issue with me so I don't have much hair to start with. Both of my parents have very thin hair, so I think it is largely genetic. My hair is also very fine and tends to fall out and break easily.

I already take biotin, and I try to use gentle shampoos. I also don't have any processed hair as I'm terrified that it will break, based on past experience. I guess what I'm looking for is shampoo/conditioner suggestions, treatments, or supplements. I've read over many of the posts in this thread and have looked into many of the suggestions, but was wondering if anyone had a similar experience to mine.

• Babasmom
    Babasmom Member Posts: 11
    Options

thank you Michelle in cornland. I finished chemo in September 2017. No radiation but herceptin until last June. Much of my hair loss at that time actually occurred after chemo November/December. My oncologist mentions stress being the culprit as well as I have many other issues (personal, not medical) occurring in addition to cancer.

I plan on calling my oncologist and seeing if hair loss might happen less with a different brand? Idk- grasping at straws

• bennybear
    bennybear Member Posts: 245
    Options

babasmom, for me the hair loss was much less on Exemestane than on arimidex.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Babasmom, you have been through alot in a short period of time. I found that being low maintenance with my hair, extending highlight appts out by 4 months, washing hair one time per week (my hair looks great for 7 days with my blowout method), not vigorously brushing it but using a wide tooth comb, and stopping the stress cycle, all helped me to recover. I try to be consistently calm, no drama, project focused, has helped to take my mind off of my hair. Soho hair has great clip in or wrap in ponytails, and Utop or similar places that carry Jazz Wave clip in hair extensions really helped my psyche. My projects have consisted of finding and redoing the chandelier that is in my profile pic (2017), repainting patio furniture (fall of 2017), redoing my closet and getting rid of a bunch of stuff (Feb-June 2018), having dh paint interior of house (fall 2018), restoring my Natuzzi couches (current), along with all the activities with my college student children, family, husband, bringing home 2 baby schnauzers. Those projects redirected my energy away from looking at myself, and towards other things. Over those years, my hair filled back in and I had a great sense of accomplishment. My person mantra is, "life happens, when you are immersed in details." I became an empty nest parent the fall of 2017, although they always come back for summers etc. My mom passed away last year at 89 due to c diff contracted at a physical rehab center, my dog 14.5 years went to the rainbow bridge in October 2018. But, you know what, I stayed focused on the details, dealt with my emotions, rocked my clip ins and celebrated great hair by December 2018. Life goes on, and our hair will come back. Lesson learned, after worrying and struggling with hair loss in the beginning, I made it through the journey.

• mellee
    mellee Member Posts: 220
    Options

Has anyone tried Hum Nutrition's Hair Sweet Hair gummies? They're a little pricey, so I'm wondering if they are worth it.

https://www.humnutrition.com/product/39/hair-sweet-hair?gclid=CjwKCAjwp_zkBRBBEiwAndwD9atXuKN5KTo2OiDyZ4nSTSFH5cx27zeIrSVE3XKDcCZI4KycFEFAPhoClOUQAvD_BwE

• Kiki13
    Kiki13 Member Posts: 245
    Options

Hi all, I have been following this thread but this is my first post here. There are collectively many great tips here, so thank you!

Well, it took a year on letrozole to start, but my hair is now thinning noticeably. I'm hoping it's like so many other side effects that come and go, but there are a few things I'm doing proactively. I started taking biotin supplements, I am washing my hair once a week only and no longer pulling it back tightly, and I'm stretching out my highlighting appointments (or may skip altogether). Hoping the shedding will lessen, but it's a little unsettling. Trying to focus on the positive things in life and keep my mind off it.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Kiki, our hair is our crowning joy and it is very upsetting to see it go down the drain. You are doing all the right things, and your journey is getting closer to an end. Your time is January 2020 for the 5 years of meds Maybe you can go back on Tamoxifen after that? i don't think that there has been anything on this journey that has not rattled my cage. We just pray for an uneventful time period while taking these meds and getting on with our lives. Everyday I wake up and know that I have went and am going through breast cancer treatment. I hope one day to wake up and not think about this part of my life. Positive things do help to keep me trodding along.

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    Options

Kiki13,

I see a dermatologist for hair issues which started a year or two before breast cancer. He said that pulling hair back tightly can be harmful, but that’s pretty much it. All the other things I asked him about like shampooing less often, using mousse, using a hair dryer, and coloring, he said were just fine. I was relieved.

I see him twice a year, and my hair is doing well. I will PM if you want details.

• 4413l
    4413l Member Posts: 1
    Options

I have been using a biotin shampoo and conditioner for about a month. My hair has begun to appear less thin, but that may be wishful thinking. I have been taking tomoxifin for only 4 months, but my hair is considerably thinner, weaker and duller, so I'll keep up the biotin. It makes me feel better at least.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

The first year and a half was the roughest part, dealing with hair loss. Monat hair products, certain ones of theirs, really helped my hair regrow. I worried so long and stressed myself out in the beginning. Then, I bought some clip in extensions and a wrap ponytail. Just keep on pushing the vitamins and hair products until you are confident in your regrowth. Pay attention to diet.

• Kiki13
    Kiki13 Member Posts: 245
    Options

Michelle and Janett, thanks for the encouragement and helpful info. I'm going to stick with what I'm doing until my next MO appt in a couple months. I have a wonderful hairstylist who is trying to help me through this. I just got a shorter, more layered cut that makes my hair look fuller. In addition to the thinning, my hair is much drier and more prone to breakage than it was before. So instead of my usual highlights, which are drying, he used a low-peroxide color, which he said is gentler (although it fades faster and doesn't fully cover gray - ok with me).

In addition to the hair care, I'm taking my biotin supplement religiously and have been even more committed to a healthy diet. It sure can't hurt.

Michelle, I'm actually about 2 years to being done with letrozole. My profile doesn't indicate this, but I took a lengthy break between tamoxifen and letrozole (like, I essentially walked away for a year). I had terrible SEs with tamoxifen, but fear of recurrence brought me back.