Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

Breaking Research News from sources other than Breastcancer.org

1101102103104105107»

Comments

• zen1028
    zen1028 Member Posts: 94

Just hoping we have "something" out in the next 5 yrs. Not just for us but all that could be impacted in the future.

https://www.anixa.com/pipeline

• morrigan2575
    morrigan2575 Member Posts: 801
    edited June 1

"How did your trial work out! It's my understanding that the vaccines being touted these days are for triple negative and nothing for ER positive, but not totally sure. "

So far, so good. I'm 4 years out from my DMX and 2 years out from completing the trial. It was a Phase 2 trial, only 115 participants and obviously still early in the cycle, the intention was as a prevention for recurrence, not prevention for cancer at all.

My understanding is the preliminary data is very promising but, nothing has been published yet (probably in 2-3 years).

The vaccine target HER2+ breast cancer, there are quite a few vaccines in trial for Triple Negative and HER2+ but, I do agree I haven't seen much for ER+/HER-

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,540

Morrigan - Thanks for more details re your situation and knowledge of these vaccines. I'm trying to keep something of an eye on what's going on with them.

Zen - I agree that even if some of us aren't able to benefit, it will be really nice to have something for those down the road. When Bio n Tech created their Covid vaccine, they said they also had some breast cancer things in the works that might be ready in 3-5 years. Well, that was about 3 years ago now, so I'm watching for more from them. I did see where the NHS vaccine being tested (noted in the post a couple/few above this) is connected to Bio n Tech in some way, but apparently breast cancer is not involved at this point.

• zen1028
    zen1028 Member Posts: 94

Found this and sounds like its been "green light" for phase 3 but looks like the company lack funding, which is estimated at 100 million USD. However they are doing a phase 2A basket trial.

https://www.orbishealthsolutions.com/clinical-trial

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/melanoma-cancer-vaccine-minimal-side-effects-nearing-phase/story?id=106521186

• amel_83
    amel_83 Member Posts: 194
    edited June 17

Let's hope they find the funding, thank you for the link!

• amel_83

Hi

I ask here as i can't find the answer i want online...I hope it is ok.

I though i saw a post saying BRCA mutations can change over the time? To say...test was negative and now it is positive? It is possibile?

I always tough it was a mutation about myself, not about the cancer genetic, am i right?

What i think i read, is that somebody did a test and was BRCA negative, than she get retested years later and the test was positive.

I though it was weird, and that i will just check it online, but than i couldn't find nothing about, so it appear not to be the case...and i can't even find the original post where i read it.

May I just confused mutation names,or somebody heard something similar?

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 790

@amel_83 there are mutations we are born with called germline mutations . There are also somatic mutations that we can acquire during treatment . Brca can be both types . @candy-678 has brca as a somatic mutation .

• amel_83

Ok, this is what i was trying to find! Thank you very much, i understand now

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,162

I had the genetic testing (blood sample) when first diagnosed with breast cancer. For my family. It was BRCA negative. But, 3 months later we found out it was in the liver too- - went from labeled Stage 2 to Stage 4. I had a liver biopsy at that time to make sure it was breast cancer mets, and they did genomic testing on the liver sample. It showed BRCA positive. I was put on Lynparza (for the BRCA) after Ibrance stopped working, and I have been on Lynparza almost 3 years now and going well.

• amel_83

@candy-678

Thank you very much for your experience, and I'm happy Lyparza work so well for you!

I will ask my MO to test it again if i will have a biopsy

• amel_83

Still at very beginning but interesting:

"One of the drivers of metastasis is miR-10b, a small noncoding RNA implicated in cancer cell invasion, migration, viability, and proliferation. We have developed a nanodrug, termed MN-anti-miR10b, that delivers anti-miR-10b antisense oligomers to cancer cells. In mouse models of metastatic triple-negative breast cancer, MN-anti-miR10b has been shown to prevent onset of metastasis and eliminate existing metastases in combination with chemotherapy, even after treatment has been stopped. Recent studies have implicated miR-10b in conferring stem cell-like properties onto cancer cells, such as chemoresistance. In this study, we show transcriptional evidence that inhibition of miR-10b with MN-anti-miR10b activates developmental processes in cancer cells and that stem-like cancer cells have increased miR-10b expression. We then demonstrate that treatment of breast cancer cells with MN-anti-miR10b reduces their stemness, confirming that these properties make metastatic cells susceptible to the nanodrug actions. Collectively, these findings indicate that inhibition of miR-10b functions to impair breast cancer cell stemness, positioning MN-anti-miR10b as an effective treatment option for stem-like breast cancer subtypes."

https://www.oncotarget.com/article/28641/text/

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,540

Amel - Thanks for posting. I always like to see "what's in the can" even though I have very little hope that any of these will be actually fully developed and ready any time soon. Just glad they haven't given up on looking for new things.

• amel_83

Threetree me to, i just like to give a look at them, from one things may come another, and if something work really well with low toxicity they may be able to put it out a little sooner, i wonder...

But sometimes i read something too cool, especially on Genengnews, but than I get so bombed out it all just look so far away...