Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Breaking Research News from sources other than Breastcancer.org

1101102103104105107»

Comments

• zen1028
    zen1028 Member Posts: 96

Just hoping we have "something" out in the next 5 yrs. Not just for us but all that could be impacted in the future.

https://www.anixa.com/pipeline

• morrigan2575
    morrigan2575 Member Posts: 805
    edited June 1

"How did your trial work out! It's my understanding that the vaccines being touted these days are for triple negative and nothing for ER positive, but not totally sure. "

So far, so good. I'm 4 years out from my DMX and 2 years out from completing the trial. It was a Phase 2 trial, only 115 participants and obviously still early in the cycle, the intention was as a prevention for recurrence, not prevention for cancer at all.

My understanding is the preliminary data is very promising but, nothing has been published yet (probably in 2-3 years).

The vaccine target HER2+ breast cancer, there are quite a few vaccines in trial for Triple Negative and HER2+ but, I do agree I haven't seen much for ER+/HER-

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,647

Morrigan - Thanks for more details re your situation and knowledge of these vaccines. I'm trying to keep something of an eye on what's going on with them.

Zen - I agree that even if some of us aren't able to benefit, it will be really nice to have something for those down the road. When Bio n Tech created their Covid vaccine, they said they also had some breast cancer things in the works that might be ready in 3-5 years. Well, that was about 3 years ago now, so I'm watching for more from them. I did see where the NHS vaccine being tested (noted in the post a couple/few above this) is connected to Bio n Tech in some way, but apparently breast cancer is not involved at this point.

• zen1028
    zen1028 Member Posts: 96

Found this and sounds like its been "green light" for phase 3 but looks like the company lack funding, which is estimated at 100 million USD. However they are doing a phase 2A basket trial.

https://www.orbishealthsolutions.com/clinical-trial

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/melanoma-cancer-vaccine-minimal-side-effects-nearing-phase/story?id=106521186

• amel_83
    amel_83 Member Posts: 223
    edited June 17

Let's hope they find the funding, thank you for the link!

• amel_83

Hi

I ask here as i can't find the answer i want online...I hope it is ok.

I though i saw a post saying BRCA mutations can change over the time? To say...test was negative and now it is positive? It is possibile?

I always tough it was a mutation about myself, not about the cancer genetic, am i right?

What i think i read, is that somebody did a test and was BRCA negative, than she get retested years later and the test was positive.

I though it was weird, and that i will just check it online, but than i couldn't find nothing about, so it appear not to be the case...and i can't even find the original post where i read it.

May I just confused mutation names,or somebody heard something similar?

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 798

@amel_83 there are mutations we are born with called germline mutations . There are also somatic mutations that we can acquire during treatment . Brca can be both types . @candy-678 has brca as a somatic mutation .

• amel_83

Ok, this is what i was trying to find! Thank you very much, i understand now

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

I had the genetic testing (blood sample) when first diagnosed with breast cancer. For my family. It was BRCA negative. But, 3 months later we found out it was in the liver too- - went from labeled Stage 2 to Stage 4. I had a liver biopsy at that time to make sure it was breast cancer mets, and they did genomic testing on the liver sample. It showed BRCA positive. I was put on Lynparza (for the BRCA) after Ibrance stopped working, and I have been on Lynparza almost 3 years now and going well.

• amel_83

@candy-678

Thank you very much for your experience, and I'm happy Lyparza work so well for you!

I will ask my MO to test it again if i will have a biopsy

• amel_83

Still at very beginning but interesting:

"One of the drivers of metastasis is miR-10b, a small noncoding RNA implicated in cancer cell invasion, migration, viability, and proliferation. We have developed a nanodrug, termed MN-anti-miR10b, that delivers anti-miR-10b antisense oligomers to cancer cells. In mouse models of metastatic triple-negative breast cancer, MN-anti-miR10b has been shown to prevent onset of metastasis and eliminate existing metastases in combination with chemotherapy, even after treatment has been stopped. Recent studies have implicated miR-10b in conferring stem cell-like properties onto cancer cells, such as chemoresistance. In this study, we show transcriptional evidence that inhibition of miR-10b with MN-anti-miR10b activates developmental processes in cancer cells and that stem-like cancer cells have increased miR-10b expression. We then demonstrate that treatment of breast cancer cells with MN-anti-miR10b reduces their stemness, confirming that these properties make metastatic cells susceptible to the nanodrug actions. Collectively, these findings indicate that inhibition of miR-10b functions to impair breast cancer cell stemness, positioning MN-anti-miR10b as an effective treatment option for stem-like breast cancer subtypes."

https://www.oncotarget.com/article/28641/text/

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,647

Amel - Thanks for posting. I always like to see "what's in the can" even though I have very little hope that any of these will be actually fully developed and ready any time soon. Just glad they haven't given up on looking for new things.

• amel_83

Threetree me to, i just like to give a look at them, from one things may come another, and if something work really well with low toxicity they may be able to put it out a little sooner, i wonder...

But sometimes i read something too cool, especially on Genengnews, but than I get so bombed out it all just look so far away...

• amel_83

This look promising for who have brain mets: Bria-imt plus immunotherapy

The patient’s temporal lobe tumor was no longer detectable via imaging taken at 8 and 11 months of treatment, and their eye-bulging orbital lesion has continued to shrink. This patient also experienced a sustained decrease in tumor markers, which confirmed the imaging results showing tumor reduction.

Previously, at 2 months, this patient, who had progressed on 8 prior regimens, including antibody-drug conjugate therapy, had achieved an initial partial response in the brain lesion, and had no detectable disease following 8 and 11 months of treatment. At the time of the data release, the patient had completed 17 cycles of study treatment, had been enrolled in the study for 12 months, and continued to receive treatment with the Bria-IMT regimen.

https://www.onclive.com/view/bria-imt-plus-immunotherapy-shows-early-promise-in-breast-cancer-brain-metastasis