Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2017 Diagnosed-- A Place To Share "Whats Next"

Options

Comments

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited December 2017
    Options

Annbee-- so good to hear from you!!!

Sorry about the shingles. I am hoping to have my shingles vaccine next year. I still have hysterectomy surgery for early 2018.

We put up Christmas lights outside this afternoon. Hoping to get the tree up this weekend but I am in some pain right now so no guarantees.

How is teaching going after all the treatments??

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited December 2017
    Options

I'm sure you all know about this program, but if not, check out the Live Strong program in your area. Mine was at the Y (maybe all are) and I needed a doctor's rec of some sort to attend. It was 12 weeks, completely FREE, and then gave me access to the Y for that 12-week period as well. All cancer survivors but not all BC.

Good luck getting fit! It helped me get back into rhythm with workouts and at no cost.

• Linwentz
    Linwentz Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2017
    Options

Dodgergirl--thanks for starting this thread. It is so nice to see so many familiar "faces!"

Lojo--the cookbook sounds just what I am looking for. I have really tried to alter my eating habits since my diagnosis. Since I am ER/PR - and am not a candidate for any hormone therapy, it is especially important for me to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I have 5 more boosts to get through and then I am finished with this part of my journey. I retired in June and was diagnosed in July; surgeries in August and September,then radiation in October, November and December. Such an emotional blur. When people ask how I am enjoying retirement, I really don't know how to answer. I am grateful that I wasn't teaching and could put all my energies into taking care of me, but I don't know what is like to just do what I want! I am looking forward to it.

We took a River Cruise after my first lumpectomy And went to WDW right before I started Rads. Both had been planned well in advance, but were extremely therapeutic and timely! There are no more vacations in the horizon but I am looking forward to watching the birds, smiling at strangers, feeling the sun on my face and counting my blessong

• Annbee
    Annbee Member Posts: 81
    edited December 2017
    Options
    It is nice to have familiar faces.
    Teaching as been interesting, good to back but very tiring and stressful. I do what I can.
    I am hoping to have my tree up next week. I gave been slowly cleaning my house from top to bottom. Long over due. We may skip the outdoor lights this year.
    Keep us posted when your hysterectomy is so I can send extra prayers. I often wonder why that has not been offered to me. I will ask at my next appointment.

I will check out the live strong program. Thank you.
    Liner rx I understand about the blur. That is how I feel. The river cruise sounds like fun.
  • Gigilala
    Gigilala Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hello ladies

DodgersGirl: thanks for starting this thread.

My last rads will December 7 I'm almost done

I still have herceptin every 3 weeks and more surgeries lol

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Gigilala-- Dec 7th!! You are almost finished with rads... so happy for you.

• Gigilala
    edited December 2017
    Options

dodgersgirls: Thank you

• Ellyn27
    Ellyn27 Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2017
    Options

Annbee - We always host Christmas day and I'm stressing a bit over it. I asked my family (kids are in 20s) if we could just do a tree inside and one wreath outside on the door and let that be it for decorations. They said absolutely fine. I want to take it easy and have less stress. Plus they don't mind getting the 20+ bins out of the attic haha. Hubby told me to get a cleaning lady but I'm not one to do that. Just take it easy on yourself. It's not about the decorations, it's about family. I don't really want to give up the holiday this year to another family member because I'm afraid I won't get it back!!!

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi all the pink sisters, I’m late to join this thread. I like to thanks DodgersGirl for starting this thread.

I’m still waiting for my radiation start date meanwhile I’m enjoying my time.

• Linwentz
    edited December 2017
    Options

Annbee--I bet it feels good to be back in the classroom. I miss the kids and the routine but not the stress. I have had barely any SE with any of the surgeries or Rads and I attribute it to the elimination of the stress that comes with teaching. I have said for years that there's no tired like teacher tired. I have slept the best I have in years...and felt no fatigue during Rads at all. I have really been able to just take care of me and it has been invaluable.

Ellyn27--you are smart to dial back the decorating this year but not give up the holiday entirely. Next year is a long way off and by then you'll feel like your old self. In the meantime, do what you can, enjoy & relax. And just think, the less you put up, the less you have to tear down!

Gigilala..It sounds like you are feeling better... I hope so, anyway! Your're almost done with Rads...woohoo! Keep us posted with your upcoming surgeriy.

Paulette--wishing you the best with Rads, Enjoy your time before it begins... but honestly, Rads igoes by rather quickly; at least it did for me and I had 34 treatments! Hugs...there is light at the end of the tunnel

• shellsatthebeach
    shellsatthebeach Member Posts: 50
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hello ladies! I see two fellow teachers. Linwentz, you are so correct about SE and stress. I took the last part of the school year off in the Spring and found SE were manageable. I can't imagine what it would have been like teaching and going through chemo. Not like you can go to the bathroom when needed. You usually have to wait for coverage and if your feeling sick, it's not like you can stop it. I was able to go back during rads (last one this Monday). For me rads was a cake walk compared to chemo SE.

Thanks for starting this thread Dogergirl! A wave to Paulette. Rads will be over before you know it and then big celebration for one less thing to worry over.

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

so happy to see so many of us here, in one place!!

Each of your posts gave me courage, hope, laughter, empathy, and strength to wake up each morning and carry on

I know this is late as turkey day was last week, but I am soooo THANKFUL for all of you!!

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited December 2017
    Options

I'm so thankful for everyone here as well! BC.org has been a Godsend for me. (knowledge, advice, support, etc.)

It's a challenge to find someone who understands what this new life is like. People try, they really do, but they just can't comprehend. It's hard for ME to even grasp how much has changed. And, then, how much has not changed -- which sometimes blows my mind, too! (Same BS at work, for example -- petty stuff -- when I think: wow, this really doesn't matter very much. SillyHeart Try cancer on for size, folks!)

Happy holiday wishes to all of you.

• Gigilala
    edited December 2017
    Options

linwentz: I feel much better thank you

This is my Last week of radiation I'm excited

I' ready to turn the radiation page 😁😁😁😁😁😁

For surgery: my oncologist want me to remove my ovaries I have an appointment tomorrow with my ob-gyn

For reconstruction: now I have only 1 expander

So the next surgery will be another expander than filling

• Linwentz
    edited December 2017
    Options

Eastcoast TS... i couldn't agree with you more. This site has been a Godsend. Even though there are no two journeys the same, those that have experienced BC " get it." And like Dodgersgirl, you make me laugh out loud,, shed a tear, and not feel alone. You all help me get through the day and I am grateful. This has been my silver lining in another wise crappy experience

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited December 2017
    Options

While I was standing outside in minus 5 (20 in fahrenheit) waiting for my dogs to do their business I had an overwhelming sense of peace. That everything is going to be okay. The first time since diagnosis that I've had a good feeling about all of this. I think that's a sign that life is moving on.

The only things that remind me of chemo are my nails falling off and my lack of hair. Treatments, surgery, and side effects are all starting to fade.

• PauletteK
    edited December 2017
    Options

If I don’t have my pink sisters I don’t know what to do. All of you made this chemo journey much better. Mimi I still cried when I think about the surgery and chemo time.

Linwentz - I’m hoping radiation will be easier and praying my skin will do as good as you all.

• Linwentz
    edited December 2017
    Options

Paulette-- actually my SE during this entire process ( the lumpectomy, two re-excision surgeries and 29/34 Rad treatments) have been minimal. I know I have had it easier than some but I also have worked intentionally to have a positive attitude. Nonetheless I think dealing with BC is crappy!

• PauletteK
    edited December 2017
    Options

Linwentz- love your attitude and glad you are here with us. Chemo knocked me down hard so I walk on thin ice all the time. Will love to get my positive attitude back soon. Used to be a happy go lucky person, BC got me depressed for awhile, I’m glad I don’t need anything to help me sleep now. I was worried that I might have problem kick Ativan out of my life.

• Lewhy
    Lewhy Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi everyone, I am new to this. I was diagnosed with DCIS in October and had a lumpectomy in November. I have an appointment with an oncologist next week. I don't know what to expect. My surgeon said radiation and tamoxifen, most likely. Can anyone tell me what happens at the first oncology appointment? I do feel very fortunate that the pathology came back DCIS with no surprises and I live in Boston within walking distance of some great hospitals. Thank you Dodgersgirl for starting this thread

• lifechoices2017
    lifechoices2017 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hellooo Warrior Women!...

So good to see some familiar faces:)

Linwentz, awesome on the few SEs... what was your lotion or treatment pattern? I'm 3 of 20 and just wanted to get an idea of what worked for you.

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Lewhy-- hello! Sorry you were diagnosed but glad to have you here. I see you are HER2+. I am not. I hope someone here who is HER2+ will reply to your question.

At my first MO (medical oncologist) appointment, she went over my pathology and suggested a plan of attack. I did go into that first meeting with questions like what vaccines should I get before treatments start or would like need a port for chemo.

I started a journal where I listed questions as they came to me so I could pull them all together at MO visit, writing down the answers in my journal, to

• LoJo100
    LoJo100 Member Posts: 92
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi Lewhy!

I'll echo DodgersGirl on the journal. I had a journal to write down questions, track SE's in between visits and to write down answers to all of my questions. My team also encouraged me to bring someone to my appointments to help with note taking, etc. My husband was able to be at all appointments, and he took notes, as well. This was VERY helpful as there were times I missed things because it's a lot to take in.

I wasn't HER2+, so can't speak to what that might mean for your treatment. Hopefully someone will chime in on this.

Overall, I'd say, no question is a dumb question, so ask a lot of them when you meet. Like, order of treatment, timing, etc. I found that knowing more about the schedule and the plan made me feel less anxious and helped me focus.

-LoJo

• LoJo100
    LoJo100 Member Posts: 92
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi All!

I'm now a little more than two months PFC and three weeks post final radiation (PFR??). I find that I still have some fatigue, but I also had one of the most full weeks of work that I've had since diagnosis and worked A LOT of hours, so that probably played into it. Took a nice intense hike yesterday and felt great. Did take a one hour nap both yesterday and today, but other than that, I feel good.

Now I'm focused on giving myself space to find my new normal. I am not going to be the person I was before diagnosis, and really, I don't want to be. I want to be the me that went through this crazy ride and survived it! I see the world so differently now, and can never go back to what it was before all of this. I had a good life before this, and I plan to have an even better one after, with an appreciation for all of it.

It really is strange to be on the other side of active treatment, and I'm so happy that I have my favorite time of year to find my 'new normal' and all that it means.

This site, and all of you, have been invaluable. I'm so glad to have this spot to talk with others who have gone through this ride and understand what it's like.

-LoJo

• Linwentz
    edited December 2017
    Options

Lufechoices--My RO recommended Calendula Cream during the day & Aquaphor at night. I asked if I could use Miaderm as well because I had heard many good things about it. She agreed and I have alternatedbetween the two.

I have tried to eat lots of protein and whole food, exercise daily, get at least 8 hours of sleep and engage in some kind of meditation. Because I am retired, I could really take care of me. My Cancer Center offers free Reikki treatments. I am always asked what my stress level is and I always say "low." This would not have been the case 6 months ago. Because I don't have a job or children who need me ( mine are grown and independent) and I have not experienced any other huge life change or crisis, the stress of daily life has been greatly reduced.

Stress is really hard on the body and because my only stress comes from this crappy cancer journey, my SE have been less than what they would have been 6 months ago. This is just my personal opinion, but I think minimizing stress & maintaining a positive-ish attitude (once in a while melt downs are a-okay!) is as important as creams and lotions!

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

LoJo100-- I hope to be a different person now that I am on other side of active treatments, too

I find that I was guilty of worrying about petty, small stuff before dx. Now, I am more likely to think, "that's not worth worrying about". Life is special and life is fleeting. I want to enjoy as much of the time I have as possible. No more sweating the small stuff

• Joyseeker
    Joyseeker Member Posts: 247
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hello 💕Joining this thread. Teacher. Mother. Farm wife. Half way through chemo. Rads and prof. mast still to come.

• 53nancy
    53nancy Member Posts: 295
    edited December 2017
    Options

So nice to see some familiar names from other chat forums I've been on -Gigala, sheilasatthebeach - this is such a great place to be in a not so great experience. I am not complaining. Ten rads behind me, six to go - four this week, two the week after, and no skin issues yet. Some pain, but I can desl with that.

Linwentz - and so many others - you are suvh an inspiration and encouragement. I am eorking to keep proteins high, and relying on smoothies for some of it. Yesterday, my husband found some "protein" bread - 9 gm protein per slice! It's Country Harvest brand. I am hoping our local grocery store will continue to bring it in. I am also looking for a recipe to make my own.

I am going to have to pkan on a new way of eating; just don't want to see a recurrence in a hurry. Have a great week everyone; see you here again soon

• tara17
    tara17 Member Posts: 150
    edited December 2017
    Options

this Is a great thread. Hope to make some new friends here. I was diagnosed in January , then had mastectomy and chemotherapy. Now will be continuing on herceptin till february 2018. Nice to see everyone’s posts —tough year, but i hear everyone making plans. I just celebrated my birthday too —it was a day of reflection this year

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Tara17--- welcome and happy belated birthday!!