Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2017 Diagnosed-- A Place To Share "Whats Next"

Options

Comments

• peacetoallcuzweneedit
    peacetoallcuzweneedit Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2017
    Options

I am joining in to say as well - good riddance 2017 - what a life changing ride (tearing up as I write) - Ladies congrats to all finishing treatments and port removals!!!!!

I started out 2017 thinking much of how you did Leesa - "I need to do a clean house on my forties and get things tied up to head into my 50's" I am 47 - turning 48 in Jan...I start planning early and always try to have some kind of a 5yr plan....my OCD personality. April came, my annual visits, and then cancer came May6th for the breast and then cervix CIS the following week...another moment in life where it all changed on a dime......diagnosis and 5 surgeries later - here I sit......my memory is crap from the hysterectomy and I am assuming estrogen depletion, hot flashing whenever the hell my body feels like it, and my final implants are comfortable but I still have the belt around my chest feeling, but HEY my Christmas tree is up, the lights are on, and I am HERE attempting to figure it all out... :-) I am holding on to the things that bring me happiness and trying to do more of that.....so ladies - here is to a 2018 that brings every one of us health and smiles!!

MarilynIllinois have a blast with Mickey and Minnie :-) Linwetz you are darn correct that we are clinking those glasses for a better 2018 -

Thanks again DodgersGirl for starting this thread and "my boots are made for walking and that's just what they'll do - 2017 I'm gonna walk all over you!!!!!" GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited December 2017
    Options

53nancy-- you are almost finished rads, that is awesome. Hope calendula cream keeps your skin simply marvelous

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited December 2017
    Options

53nancy I'm in Lindsay just 1.5 hr east of Toronto. My husband is from Winnipeg ( aka winterpeg brrre) lol.

Welcome Marilynillinois! A great group here. We were at wdw last Jan before my ex in March. Had a wonderful time. Hadn't been there since 1995 when my girls were little. This time only the youngest was able to come and she was 30 at the time ( 9 yrs in 1995). Loved animal kingdom!

VL any ideas where you would like to go/do?

Agree with all! Good riddance to 2017. The only thing good about it was the wonderful support from family and friends and you ladies๐Ÿ˜. Oh and maybe joining the dragonflies breast support group and dragon boaters. Planning on paddling for the first time this spring.

Congratulations to those who got their port removed and finishing chemo and rads. I see my RO NXT week to discuss rads. Just had a CT lung follow up as had a small nodule last spring . A bit worried about results ofcourse. Hopefully they will call me either way.may ask to NXT week if he has access.

• AngelaJL
    AngelaJL Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2017
    Options

Gigilala, congratulations on finishing radiation

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited December 2017
    Options

Leesa and 2017 BC Team:

I hate to wish away a year or think that way -- but I'm glad to kick 2017 in the as* and wish it well on the way out, too. I was diagnosed on 1/4/17 and this has been my entire year, like many of you.

I turned 50 in Sept and will make 2018 joyous since 2017 was __ (insert fav word). My team even won the National Championship last year, first time since 1981, and I could hardly enjoy it. So God is giving us a chance again this year. LOL They better not mess it up for me! (Apologies to Bama, Georgia and Oklahoma folks out there.)

Wishing you all -- so sincerely -- a wonderful holiday and TERRIFIC 2018!!

• Georgia1
    Georgia1 Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2017
    Options

Gigilala, congratulations!!

Dodgersgirl, thank you for your terrific leadership and advice on these boards throughout your journey. Thinking of you and hoping you heal up super soon.

• Linwentz
    Linwentz Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2017
    Options

53Nancy--you're almost at the finish line! It has gone quickly, don't you think?! That Calendula Cream is good stuff--glad it's working for you!

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

rads question-- how long after rads can you start using deodorant again?

I asked nurse today but will need to ask RO next week. Thought I would see what you wise women know

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Georgia1-- thank you. It is all the strong, sharing, caring women and men at BCO that gives us hope and knowledge to move forward

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited December 2017
    Options

Welcome to all the new comers, so many of you, I canโ€™t name one by one (chemo brain)

I donโ€™t need anymore shoes, so I skip shoes, but I would join fo something else. 2017 took all of us a bad rides, I pray for a better for everyone. I just started my radiation so it will run to January, I hope this will be my least thing for this journey, pray things will turn to better.

Tpralph- hope your lung result turns out good, I know how you feel because I have nodules in my thyroid and it turned out fine.

Congratulations to the ladies who finished radiation and removed port. Feel great to be at the finish line.

DodgersGirl - pray for your skin recovery soon, I will bug you about radiation in the future.

• LoJo100
    LoJo100 Member Posts: 92
    edited December 2017
    Options

Gigilala - Congrats on being done!!

DodgersGirl - I started using deodorant as soon as my skin felt okay (it was still red and peeling, but it didn't hurt anymore).

All - Thanks for the messages. I must say, I've been so fortunate to have amazing people treating me throughout this entire journey. From my BC team, to the radiology group who placed and removed my port, to all of the nurses I met along the way. Amazing people, who celebrate with me at each major milestone!

I'm really enjoying the holidays, and taking in each minute! I'm also enjoying being back at work... I love what I do, and am happy to be back to a more full time schedule. I will admit, I can't wait to have two weeks off at the end of the month. I plan to relax, do some serious work around the house, and enjoy getting re-centered!

Hope all of you are well!

-LoJo

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

LoJo100- thanks for responding to my question about deodorant... I bought Tom's deodorant when first starting rads so will probably start there and move to my "real" deodorant in the fu

• TaRenee
    TaRenee Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2017
    Options

dodgersgirl I have the Tomโ€™s now and I actually like it. I donโ€™t know how effective it will be in the summer tho. I got it after talking to my PS about when I could wear it after BMX surgery. I figure, I have it, might as well use it up! lo

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited December 2017
    Options

Tralph - we are going to Naples, Fl for spring break - my parents live there. It is really beautiful and great restaurants. I just really like hanging with my mom and dad. Itโ€™s such a fun time.

I think we are going to do Glacier National Park in August - we love wildlife and hiking and will do some whitewater rafting.

We bought an RV not long before my DX, so when our summer plans had to be changed, we took a lot of weekend and four day trips - we will definitely do that again. My boys are teens, but they love to travel and hang out with us.

This is a photo of my boys standing with the Buffalo where we cut down our tree every year.

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited December 2017
    Options

LoJo100 - Iโ€™m glad youโ€™re getting joy out of the season - me too! It really shifts my focus to the great moments this season brings!

I am planning my post chemo martini - this local restaurant last December had a white cranberry martini that was one of the best I ever had. Iโ€™m not a big drinker, but this is the end of chemo celebration I want. My husband assured me that even if not on the menu, it will be made!

Anyone do anything special after chemo or rads

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited December 2017
    Options

Some of my friends talked about celebration after all these treatments, I might just have a dinner, not sure how much energy I would have. Iโ€™m hoping I get my old self back so I can take a ocean sea trip by next fall.

VL22 that two young men looked very happy, itโ€™s good you do road trips with them. I donโ€™t know I have enough energy do hiking yet. I wanted to visit Utah all these National Parks, I need to get in shape so I can hike for hours long.

• LoJo100
    LoJo100 Member Posts: 92
    edited December 2017
    Options

VL22 - The night of my last chemo, we went to one of our favorite restaurants and I had a fabulous Margarita! I did that the last night of rads, as well. I've cut way back on alcohol (maybe a couple glasses of wine a week, if that), but won't be giving it up completely. I sent a picture of me enjoying my margarita the night of my last rads to my Dr.'s, and they all wrote back congratulatory e-mails and said they were happy to see me celebrating with a nice margarita! :-)

My DH and I are headed to NY in January (we do this every year) and this will be my first big trip since DX. You can bet your ass that I'm going to one of my favorite bars to have a wonderful mixed drink (or two!), and I'll be getting a cheese plate with a nice glass of champagne at the Plaza, as we do every year! I count this under moderation, as it is not what I do every day, for sure! :-)

Enjoy the celebration VL22. I like your DH's attitude... it will be made ! :-)

• 53nancy
    53nancy Member Posts: 295
    edited December 2017
    Options

Linwentz, last treatment today for you!!! I hope your healing goes well with no severe issues. That's what I am fearing. I am still able to wear a bra - I actually went out and bought a one size, one cup larger one that has made a difference. I have camisoles to roll up under my breasts so there is no skin-on-skin contact and will hopefully be able to wear the bra over that without it being too tight. The calendula cream is wonderful. It was worth every penny I paid.

Dodgersgirl, thanks for the encouragement. Where would I be without all of you?

Dontignore, I am not sure it has been proven that aluminum causes cancer. I usually use a homemade spray with essential oils but was told emphatically that I could NOT use them during rads. I have used a non-scented dry deodorant spray all through rads, but that part of my armpit has not been irradiated. If I begin to experience issues after treatment, I may have to stop for a while, but we will be spending most of the rest of December at home, which will be easier for us.

VL22, so glad you have plans for the future. It will give you something to focus on and look forward to.

LoJo, wishing you all the best for what comes next. I like the idea of celebrating! My birthday is the Saturday after I finish rads, so am hoping to go for Chinese, something I rarely do, but my big reason is that we went for Chinese two days after I got my abnormal mammo result in April, and my fortune cookie said "Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best." After all is said and done, I have to say I got the best!! When I was told I was NED, I refused chemo and agreed to radiation. I will go into the New Year with my new eating and exercising lifestyle, and will do my best not to worry about recurrence and just deal with it if and when the time comes.

Tlfrank, ALL the best in your journey. Keep warm with all that snow that's forecast. We have very little in S.MB. and have had great travelling weather throughout rads. This time last year we gad over two feet of snow and icy roads

Everyone have a great weekend.

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited December 2017
    Options

I use deodorants without aluminum now. (And, no, I'm not sure they work as well.) MOs I asked seemed divided about the issue. No one that I recall said don't use. It was more: nothing clinically proven.

• 53nancy
    edited December 2017
    Options

EasrcoastTS, I usually don't use deodorant at all, unless we are going somewhere. I have been using it on a daily basis through rads, of course. And of course, it's winter. Summertime may prove to be somewhat different. :

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited December 2017
    Options

I use Tom's deodorant now. It does not have aluminum. During rads I used nothing, just a daily shower before my am session.

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2017
    Options

I use Native Deodorant and have tried Tom's. I think Native works better. I bought it for my daughters too and asked them to try it (I don't know if there really is a connection between breast cancer and antiperspirant but why risk it?) they both like it and say they think it works great. It is only available online.

• Linwentz
    Linwentz Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2017
    Options

It is official...all 28 regular treatments and 6 boosts are complete & the SE are at a minimum. I sang all the way home!

Question for those that are ER/PR -, are you doing anything "extra" (using holistic/alternative/complimentary treatments) since there is no drug to take? When asked, my RO said to just maintain a healthy lifestyle (no duh!) I have checked out some of the sites here but haven't really landed on anything.

But I am not going to think about tomorrow...tonight we are going out to celebrate and I might even have TWO drinks! Cheers

• tlfrank
    tlfrank Member Posts: 76
    edited December 2017
    Options

My RO said that I could use any deodorant I wanted as long as it was comfortable to apply. she said that it used to be that you couldn't wear any, but with new technology that school of thought is "old" school.

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi All,

This is a great thread. Just joining you. Retired teacher, wife, and Grandma.

My journey began in January of this year. So, I'm a little further along on this BC maze of choices and experiences than some of you. Lumpectomy in February followed by radiation treatments completed in May. Been on Arimidex name brand since May with manageable side effects. If I can help in any way please let me know. I will share that my worries and imagination before each step of the process was much worse than the reality. I'm a terrible worrier. Meditation and yoga helps a lot!

This site and the wonderful ladies and gentlemen have been a blessing.

Had my first bi-lateral Mammagram Wednesday which came back negative! Feeling very grateful and blessed.

This PM off to second Prolia injection. The first one 6 months ago went well. Just wanted to add this for anyone who may be facing this choice as well.

Blessings all and gentle hugs.Medicating Wishing you a peace-filled holiday season

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Butterfly1234-- congrats on good mammo results!! And welcome!!

Always nice to hear from those farther ahead in this life journey.

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Linwentz-- CONGRATS and enjoy your celebration tonight! ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

tlfrank-- good info on deodorant, glad your shared

• 53nancy
    edited December 2017
    Options

Linwentz, congratulations!! Done at last!! I hope you have a great celebration. I too have been looking for ideas to deal with TN because I won't be able to take meds (not that I am complaining, because they have side effects, too), and the only thing I can think of is to stick to a healthy diet, avoid sugars, and exercise, exercise, exercise. We can't afford to investigate a lot of alternate therapies, but even just getting rid of chemicals and other no-nos in the home will help. May you have an absolutely wonderful 2018 and onwards.

Butterfly1234, so glad that you had negative findings on your mastectomy. A win for you! I sure hope everything else goes just as well for you.

Here's too everyone having a wonderful and restful weekend.

• Gigilala
    Gigilala Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2017
    Options

linwentz: congratulations ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜