Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2017 Diagnosed-- A Place To Share "Whats Next"

Options

Comments

• 53nancy
    53nancy Member Posts: 295
    edited December 2017
    Options

Legomaster and Tpralph, congratulations on your good news. So hapoy for you.

Linwentz, congratulations on your weight loss. Was some of that during rads? I was told not to lose weight, but am managing to maintain it. I had lost 16 lbs between July surgery and start of rads. Can't wait to get back to my diet as I want to lose 20-25 more. Healthy lifestyle for me from now on; hope I can stick to it. I go to see my doctor to get blood sugar results today and hoping they're good

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2017
    Options

I would like to give my support team (friends and family) who have been there for me during this crappy year of my life sometgung meaningful for Christmas. Anyone have good ideas?

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited December 2017
    Options

OCD, how many people are you talking about?

• OCDAmy
    edited December 2017
    Options

6-7 people.

• Linwentz
    Linwentz Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2017
    Options

53 Nancy--most of my weight loss was like yours--between July's surgeries and the start of RADS. I have lost a couple of pounds during RADS but it hasn't been intentional. I am just trying very consciously to maintain the healthy lifestyle I have begun to get used to.

OCDAmy--I also am on the lookout for meaningful gifts to give to my "support team." Any ideas & suggestions are welcome

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited December 2017
    Options

OCD, take them out for dinner? gift baskets or decorative Seasonal baskets?  OR, a lovely thankyou card with a little letter in each one- personalize it.

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited December 2017
    Options

I'm big on candles. You can get really nice ones (and super reasonable, I think) at Good Home/Marshalls. Even if someone is not a candle person, if the container is pretty enough, they can display. Place into cute bag and viola! nice gift. (I use these a lot for babysitters and teachers, not the main one maybe). Stuff like that.

Also, truly, it's the thought that counts. I'm sure they will be pleased to be remembered.

• 53nancy
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi, Tpralph. Nice to meet another Ontarioan here, though I haven't lived there for years, Mind if I ask where you are? I originally came from Welland. I like the idea of personalized notes. I have many from over the years that I read often.

Eastcoast, I like candles, too. I like to watch them while I meditate, especially in the evening.

Linwentz, I plan to keep up with my new diet, which is Alkaline, plus a little more protein than I used to. I find I am doing great on higher protein, though I don't think it would be good in the long term. Saw my doctor today and my A1C was 5.9. Best I've ever had!!

• OCDAmy
    edited December 2017
    Options

I am kind of crafty. If I have enough time and energy I want to paint ornaments that say "no one fights cancer alone". I also saw some braclets that said that on Etsy.

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited December 2017
    Options

Amy, I didn’t do that much because I’m kind of short of time and energy, so I bought them chocolate. My husband won’t let me spend too much money this year because he said we will have higher medical bill from now on. Also I am not planning to go back to work, so will take early retirement.

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited December 2017
    Options

Nice to see everyone in one place! Wonderful to have such a positive vibe going! Last Taxol for me is 12/21, then on to 6 weeks of rads. I’m just really looking forward to getting back to my running schedule and getting back my energy - although afternoon naps with the cat aren’t all bad!

Tpralph- you have inspired me to start my vacation planning! We had to cancel a big trip in June and I’ve been frozen with anxiety over the last few months. But now is the time!

Legomaster - I am getting my port out the day of my final chemo - this was my MO’s suggestion and to be honest it really has set my mind at ease in a weird way. I was surprised she’d suggest having it out so fast But I was assured it would be “easy”, Now I wonder!

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited December 2017
    Options

VL22, glad to see you here!!

I am planning a big vacation in 2018, too! It's a lot of fun sprinkled with that voice that asks "what if" and asks if I think I will be up to a big trip. So to quiet that voice, we joined the Y today. Hoping to make exercising easy over the winter plus RO says swimming is the best exercise to fight off lymphodema (which I don't have and hope it stays that way)

You are almost done with chemo!! That is such a good feeling.

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited December 2017
    Options
    VL- Almost done!! I think getting the port out right away is a good idea and it is supposed to be easy. I honestly think mine took longer because the alloderm from my prepec implant was covering the port. That's just my guess though. I just hope everything heals up normally and nothing needs to be fixed. I'm not sure why they didn't take it out at the time of my BMX last June. My chemo was done already. I'm still bruised but it doesn't hurt anymore.

OCDamy Ilike the ornament idea. Personal, practical and pretty. And they will think of you every year. Today is one year from the day I was diagnosed. I had a couple emotional moments. I wrote a thank you to my long time friend/coworker who was there when my gyn called that day thanking her for being there for me then and for all the support throughout this year. Brought us both to tears. I was trying to think of special things to do for my family and close friends as well.
  • LoJo100
    LoJo100 Member Posts: 92
    edited December 2017
    Options

The port was removed yesterday, without incident! I didn't even need twilight drugs, just local numbing agent. It was pretty amazing. As they rolled me into the OR, the nurses, residents and main Dr. were all congratulating me and saying what a good and happy day this was.

Then, when the port was officially out, the main Dr. declared to the entire room, "The port... is out!" Then everyone did a "Woo Hoo!" and "Congratulations" and I did too! I almost cried, as it felt like a big moment to mark the end of the big treatment.

Today I'm feeling good. Haven't needed any pain meds, not even tylenol. Much less painful than putting it in.

I take my first tamoxifen tonight! Onward and upward we go!

-LoJo

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

LoJo100-- congrats to you and port removal!!!

Best of luck to you with Tam

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited December 2017
    Options

hi everyone.... so good to see more people to join.

LoJo - life is going back to normal for you! Yay!!!

VL22 - you are getting 5err .... happy for you!

I would love to make plans for 2018, just need to finish radiation before I make any plans..

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited December 2017
    Options

Congrats LoJo. — yes, onward and upward! It’s nice that your team made it a celebration of sorts! Good luck with the tamoxifen. Hopefully, you will have little to no side effects. It’s been rather uneventful for me and I’m grateful

I just had lidocaine shots too. It was just a but weird carrying on a conversation for 30 minutes while he was digging around in my chest. I do like my surgeon though.

• Linwentz
    edited December 2017
    Options

Congrats to you LoJo with the port removal. As you say, onward and upward! It was wonderful that your team made a celebation of it!

Dodgergirl--how is your skin doing?

Two more rads treatments to go... although it hasn't been nearly as bad as I feared, I am ready for this chapter to come to a close. Almost there

• tara17
    tara17 Member Posts: 150
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thank you all for th4 birthday wishes. I hear completely the wishes to get off the daily grind — with having gone through this, life is so much more precious ,and wasting it on the pettiness of the daily grind seems wrong somehow ....

• Gigilala
    Gigilala Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2017
    Options

i just finish my Last radiation 30/30

😁😁😁😁😁

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Gigilala-- congrats on finishing rads!!! Woot Woot!!

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Linwentz-- skin is healing!! Still going to RO's office for skin care -- just a few areas to tend to but the weepy/oozy old skin is gone!!

One week ago today was my last rad session so hoping a week from now that my skin is all healed.

• Linwentz
    edited December 2017
    Options

Gigilala--congrats on finishing Rads! Woohoo! Time to celebrate!

Dodgersgirl--glad to hear that your skin is beginning to heal and that you're seeing an end to the oozing weeping mess.

• leesad
    leesad Member Posts: 100
    edited December 2017
    Options

I'll join in. I turned 49 in Jan. and said to my husband that I was going to start a year long project to celebrate my last year in my forties and mark my 50th trip around the sun and we would then plan something very special for my 50th. Well little did I know a few weeks later that the project was chosen for me on February 3rd when I was dx. Not exactly what I had in mind. It has really been the year from hell and I'm not sad at all to say good bye to 2017. Just had my ooph almost three weeks ago and I still have my exchange to do which I'd like to get in before my insurance resets on Feb 1. One benefit was I got a full year out of insurance coverage and it was a lot. My plastic surgeon will determine in a couple of weeks if I'm healed enough from rads to do exchange in Jan. Hoping so. So now I will turn 50 in Jan. Still haven't made plans as it's not as joyous as I hoped it would be. My husband says we will plan a huge trip and go big. It just might be in the Spring. Facebook released the year end videos today and I watched mine and they did happen to catch the few happy moments of 2017. Highlights of my son and husband and definitely the support from my family and friends. Other than that 2017 can go away now. Here's to a better 2018 for all 😘

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

LeeseD-YES to kicking 2017 to the curb and beyond and then welcoming in a NEW year!!

• MarilynIllinois
    MarilynIllinois Member Posts: 50
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hello All, Thanks Dodgers Girl for starting this thread. It's a good opportunity to share reflections on this life altering year.

LoJo, how kind that your doctor and OR team celebrated the port removal in such a happy tribute! What a considerate group!

Leesa, I hope you can get back to planning and celebrating your upcoming birthday! I hope you will have a wonderful birthday and year!

I started out 2017 with the birth of a grandchild (my 5th). Then a routine breast MRI in March followed by 2 MRI guided biopsies. The recommendation was for a mastectomy. It was Pleomorphic LCIS. Pathology came back finding nothing invasive.

I was able to enjoy a lovely vacation in July with the whole family before surgery. And I am going to Disney World in January.

I am so grateful for all the online support of this community. All the information, tips, shared resources and experiences have been invaluable to me!

Happy new year to everyone

• OCDAmy
    edited December 2017
    Options

Can't wait to say goodbye to 2017.

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

MarilynIllinois-- welcome!! WDW next month!! Sounds like a great way to bring in 2018! I am planning a trip for later in 2018

• Linwentz
    edited December 2017
    Options

I think we all will be clinking our glasses to a more joyous and stress-free 2018. Good riddance 2017!

LeesaD--Enjoy celebrating your 50th in style. After a crappy 49th you deserve something special!

MarilynIllinois-welcome! We went to Disney right before I started Rads and there is something about being "in the happiest place on Earth" that truly makes your worries disappear for awhile! Have a blast😁

I agree that the online support from this community is immeasurable. Have a great day, everyone

• 53nancy
    edited December 2017
    Options

Gigala, congrats on finishing rads. I hope your healing phase goessuperbly.

Dodgersgirl, am so glad your skin has started healing. I have two treatments left - Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday, I had a bit of rash. Calendula ointment took care of it. I applied it immediately after treatment today; now six hours without any ssues and just applied more.

Linwentz, one left to go. Yaay! Wishing you all the best on your healing journey, too