Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Comments

• Shadie
    Shadie Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2018

Is anyone else feeling pain emanating from their incision when they move in particular way? I am 3.5 weeks out, and recovering well, but I find I get a shot of pain emanating from the incision area on the side of one breast whenever I try to bend over, tie my shoe, or put on pants while standing. Don't know if this is scar tissue or if it is because they cut a nerve in that area. Anyone get guidance from their doctor about this?

Also, is anyone experience nipple discomfort/chafing as a result of an erect nipple after skin-sparing surgery (and more important, figured out a way to handle it/diminish the sensation)? The good news: I have some nipple sensation, despite the surgery. The bad news: I feel the erect nipple rubbing against my bra with just about every movement. I bought some silicone nipple covers, but they are adhesive--and I am afraid to put anything adhesive on my very thin skin.

• l8ybug
    l8ybug Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2018

Jada- the plastic surgery website I have previously consulted thinks it's normal for some abdominal swelling, the body responds to trauma or surgery by retaining fluid as a protective mechanism. The only advice they give is to drink plenty of water and it could last from 2-8 weeks. It could also be part of the lymphedema, some experience it in the abdomen. I hope you have relief soon, maybe ask your PS or BS, they should have the most experience.

• A4ggy
    A4ggy Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2018

Good Morning, I had a BMX January 29th so it’s almost been a week. All going ok so far and pain has been managed pretty well. Sleeping is another issue though bcus I’m a stomach sleeper. I’m exhausted! I had chemo first but am still anxious waiting for path results. Anyone else experience the anxiety that comes with waiting? Thanks for any responses.

• itsstillme
    itsstillme Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2018

Shadie - the rubbing against your bra must be annoying if not irritating. Perhaps a piece of silky or satin fabric inbetween the nipple and the bra? Im having a Nipple and Skin sparing BMX on Feb 27 and I was wondering how your AirXpanders are working out for you? How much have you been able to expand to? You mentioned you have thin skin. Is this due to the expanding?

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited February 2018

A4ggy; I had my BMX on the 29th. My path report was posted last night. I didnt understand all of it. I still need to wait. The waiting is still the worst part. Most of the January surgery girls are still in the process of recuperating from our surgeries. Most of us have done well. I attribute my progress to all the women who shared their experiences on this thread. With continued support and sharing we will get through this together. My advise is to distract yourself with a book or movie,, a walk if you are up to it; things that make you happy. It is tough when we are so eager for answers. You are in my thoughts.

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207
    edited February 2018

A4ggy, I agree that waiting for path results was probably the worst part so far. My imagination went to the worst possible places. The actual results were not bad, and hopefully a clean report for you too. As jo6359 said, keep yourself involved in things that make you happy. Keeping you and all Jan. surgery sisters in my thoughts.

• Dlpaquette
    Dlpaquette Member Posts: 71
    edited February 2018

This morning the drain was still not staying deflated and quite a bit if leakage at the site the drain enters so I called my PS to be safe. I was told to call tomorrow to get seen but if any fever or pus to call right away. I have to tell you if there is any pus or fever anywhere near the start of the Superbowl or during I will not be going to the ER! :). The PS thinks it is either a clog up higher inside or the tubing had worked its way out a bit. I am thinking a clog since I have been draining huge chunks over the past few days.

• Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited February 2018

Dipquette - I hear you. I was passing 50cc+ until I passed a clot a few days ago. Now <30cc and ready to come out. It would take an army to tear me away from the game tonight!

• jo6359
    edited February 2018

Philaflash: enjoy the Super Bowl. I'm looking forward to the commercials and the food. May the better team win.

• Shadie
    edited February 2018

ItsStillMe--the Air Xpanders have worked out very well for me. They put in about 200cc in each breast at the time of the surgery. At the two week mark, the plastic surgeon pulled the drains and gave me the tv-remote-like devices (one for each breast) that trigger the expansion. Over the course of less than a week, I put in about 20-30ccs a day (at 10ccs a time, with a max of 30ccs a day), I expanded an additional 140ccs, to about 340 total. Since I have narrow trunk--31 inches--that actually gives me a decent breast size. I could put in a little more if I want to..but not sure if I will. The skin is thin due to the nipple- and skin-sparing mastectomy; I don't think my skin is any more/less fragile than anyone else's. Also, since my expanders were placed above the pecs, I am concerned about the overall size/weight. My feeling is that I want to err on the side of being a little smaller than larger, to ensure that the skin (and implants) will hold. I have not experienced anything beyond minor discomfort with the Air Xpanders, and was able to sleep on my side with them as soon as the drains came out. In fact, as each night passes, side sleeping (and the discomfort posed by them) has diminished. At this point, when I look in the mirror, things looks pretty good--except for a couple of lumps from where the expanders jut out (and of course, the incisions), I think I look almost normalish.

As for nipple discomfort, I have experimented by placing a cotton ball, and then a roundi cotton make-up removal pad over the nipple within the bra (a silky material, I think, is not thick enough). Unfortunately, I still feel some chafing.

• itsstillme
    itsstillme Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2018

Shadie - the AirXpanders sound like a great option. I have a similar build and my PS suggested filling to about 300 - 350 cc. Would you say that’s like a small C / full B ? I have a short window to expand because I have to have radiation 4 weeks after surgery. Hope you find some relief for your nippleirritation, let us know.

• Philaflash
    edited February 2018

Jo6359 - Actually, it's Justin T I'm waiting to see 💓

• Marlena17
    Marlena17 Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2018

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been stuck in this recliner SO swollen with fluid I wrapped myself in a compression wrap for 2 days now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JT was REALLY good!!!!!!!!!!!

• jo6359
    edited February 2018

Philaflash-JT did a good job.

• Shadie
    edited February 2018

ItsStillMe--it is hard to judge cup size, since it is not only band size but also the width of your breasts. They put in medium-sized Xpanders in me--its comes in small, medium, and large--with a 600cc capacity, and a 14cm width. Even though I won't be going anywhere near 600cc, they selected this based on the width of my breasts. I also don't know--haven't discussed with the PS yet--what size implants he will put in. I figure that the expander itself takes up space in the breast, above and beyond the ccs I have put in, and that the implant will reflect that. My educated guess is that I will wind up with a C.

Also keep in mind that your old bras won't fit quite right after surgery, even the ones without underwire (which are a no-no--the underwire, that is!)/a defined cup. The expanders jut out, and I think I have less on the upper pole of my breasts. I have found that the front-close bras that worked so well right after surgery are rubbing, in a bad way, against my expanded breasts and the expanders themselves, and that sports bras and several types of stretchyHanes bras do the trick. Of course, I have no problem putting things on over my head, thanks to the pre-pec placement. If I couldn't slip a bra on over my head, I would really be stuck between a rock and a hard place, bra-wise.

• Philaflash
    edited February 2018

Woo woo - got the last drain pulled today! What a relief. I know this is discussed in other threads, but what kind of bra are you ladies wearing with TEs, (post drain removal) and maybe after your first fill? I'm just wearing a no support shelf bra cami and haven't bought any yet.

• LoveCanada
    LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2018

I've been experimenting with different bras but my favorite is the Genie that I ordered from Walmart after seeing it mentioned on one of the threads. The hardest part is getting it off but it's comfortable andgives me support. I'm too uncomfortable without a lot of support.

• jo6359
    edited February 2018

Congrats on having the drains removed.

• RedJo40
    RedJo40 Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2018

philaflash drain removals are the best days. I got my boob drains out today. Hoping the tummy will come out next week. Sitting in the doctors office today I realized what a strong group of women we are. We don’t let set backs, complications or a straight forward outcome keep us from sharing the sisterhood of cancer patients and survivors! Ladies you all inspire me to continue with joy and strength during this phase of treatment. We will get through this and be able to help others who will get this diagnosis. Blessings to everyone as we recover.

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2018

Woohoo for drains out!!!

My BS called today to say my Oncotype came back at 10, I’m seeing the oncologist on Wednesday but it sounds like I won’t be getting chemo.

Seeing the PS tomorrow, I’m nervous about that as my right breast still doesn’t feel good

• RedJo40
    RedJo40 Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2018

houmom hoping you have good outcomes from the oncologist and BS. I meet my BS Thursday for follow up. She did call and saythere was no cancer in right breast tissue. My right side feels tighter than my left.

• jo6359
    edited February 2018

Jude: How are you feeling? Is the seroma still present? Tonight my anxiety level is up. Waiting to see my SO on Thursday to review path reports. Physically my BMX and SNB were relatively painfree. The hematoma on the left armpit was painful before the evacuation. No issues with drains or constipation. I hate the bc dx but am grateful to have come in contact with so many strong Women. I truly don't believe I would have gotten through my BMX without the support of the January Surgery Group. For that I will be forever appreciative.

• Marlena17
    Marlena17 Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2018

firs time expansion today. All is good. A little residual fluid but all in all not pain. Expanders are SO hard!!!! I have weekly visits for the next 4 weeks. How much bigger do these need to be? I’am happy with a large B small C. They look so darn real but feel like a manaquin!! Medicine is so SI-FI!! Hope everyone is progressing well :

• jo6359
    edited February 2018

Marlena-Good luck with your new breasts. Im hoping to get rid of my drains on Thursday. Today was the only time I experienced pain at one of the insertion sites. My. dog pulled on the tubing while I was sleeping this am. LOL It is still intact but the site is slightly inflamed.

• rdeesides
    rdeesides Member Posts: 233
    edited February 2018

Is anyone else cimpletely weirded out by how numb their breast is? I can’t bear to touch it because the sensation is so strange.

Rebekah

• Philaflash
    edited February 2018

Two weeks post op today and saw plastics today. Everything looks good. Also got my first fills today. Painless but a very bizarre procedure. Rdeesides- I'm very glad those puppies are numb after the expander fill experience. Lol. Oddly, I have sensation on the skin close to my sternum, then sensation fades as you move to mid/lateral sides. Marlena - what time is your fill on Friday? I'm at 9am.

• Philaflash
    edited February 2018

Jo6359 - is that like " my dog ate my homework? " Hope those pesky drains are out soon..

• l8ybug
    l8ybug Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2018

Rebekah - I do find it very strange and worry I'll be putting them up on people and not even know it! My sister says it'll be ok because we're used to giving them a wide berth but idk, I've already noticed more than once that I was touching them but didn't feel it. I think it's going to be even weirder when I get my actual implants and they aren't so hard.

Marlena - glad your fill went well, I'm nervous for them to begin. I don't want to watch them stuck a big ol needle in my chest, was it painful or did they numb you or anything?? My initial fill during surgery was 600cc, so we won't begin for another week or so and I will have 4 fills to get to 800. I think you fill them until you get what you want for your body size, I have a very broad rib cage, so I need more than some.

• LoveCanada
    LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2018

Philaflash lol I had the same thought when I had my first fill last week- glad they’re numb! It was a weird experience

• jo6359
    edited February 2018

Philaflash-I know. Always blame it on the dog.LOL