Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

life, we all go u, and the road we are all on is different .. and we all are making it One day at a time...some days are better than others ! HUGS

Frog, make sure to be kind to urself, we can get they it..keep me posted, I'm right behind u literally ur day five will be my infusion day!! That's kind of nice no nauses feeling.. I have to remember ur trick candy while they add anything in to my Port.. bcuz I always taste and smell it,they all tastes nasty!! I wonder if u have a pic line if the taste medication like I do with port line near my throat? Wishing u good vibes, as u recover from infusion. . are u done with chemo after the Taxol??

Wishing everyone a good week and minimal side effects!! We are strong together than alone!!

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Happy Tuesday All!

I had a great day yesterday. Finally found a wig that I thinks looks like me before cancer. Just in time because Hubby has a work event I am attending Friday and I was getting very nervous about what I was going to wear. He finally told most of his staff about my diagnosis last week. The shop I went to has wigs, head coverings and mastectomy bras/ swimsuits etc. Such a wonderful environment. I left feeling empowered and ready to face anything.

Duffy is just stable right now. I'll be taking him back to Vet when I'm over in Michigan for my next MO appt and preinfusion blood work. My guess is the spot on his lung will still be there. Although he's eating (mostly hamburger) walks are a struggle for him. Yesterday I ended up carrying him back from our walk.

GAWarrior - I'm considering trying a little baby run today. I got the itch because daughter ran another marathon over the weekend and I was having runner envy. I mainly want to see how my feet handle the impact. Right now the burning sensation isn't too bad. I've invested in good socks (bombas) and a new orthopedic pair of sandals and am trying not to barefoot much.

DJT- I hope your are also enjoying this feel good week before round #3. I get so exciting thinking I"m close to the halfway mark for chemo. I know the year of Herceptin will be more of an inconvenience than anything.

Frog - one of the nurses told my those of us who tasted the saline are "super tasters". not sure if that is true or not but yes I usually tried to have a sugar free candy of some type to suck on during port flushes or other procedures using the saline.

Logistics questions for those of us moving from chemo to radiation? I had assumed radiation would start after the end of the final 21 day cycle. I guess I am assuming they wouldn't start radiation when your system is still in the low point following chemo. Anyone know if that is the case?

• astyanax66
    astyanax66 Member Posts: 223

Weeeddie, I hope your infection is clearing up fast!

De

• astyanax66

Congrats to everyone who is finishing up...I’ve lost track! Today was round 8/12 of Taxol. The center was full of both yesterday’s and today’s patients, so it was a looong day. Definitely feeling more tired, dry mouth, and anemic (wbc is still great). They didn’t do anything for scalp infection, except say continue to use the hibiclens wash. One of my numbers was way off (eosinophils—they are part of infection protection in body), but no one seemed to mind. I guess it was high because they’re doing their job fighting scalp issue. So, if anyone has this problem, check with doctor and see if wash might help. It was in first aid section of store and is 3% chlorhexadene (sp?), not expensive.

About those of us going to radiation now or in near future... I’m going to insist on a break. I’ve missed some important things since January, and even my oncologist said this was all just “extra insurance.” She said they are fine with a short break, so yep, I’m taking it. :)

Dee

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Weeedie, I hope you're feeling much better. Engine, I sure hope your wife is getting a little break and feeling better, too!

And, you too, urdrago - and good luck tomorrow! No, my sores don't heal - I still have my scab from the Neulasta from round #2 and I'm facing round 4 next Tuesday. Hubby pointed out that our rbc and wbc are way low (at least mine are (lower than when I went on the cruise), plus I'm slightly anemic now), so that makes total sense to me. Also, I still have a two week old bruise from the blood draw prior to this one (not a fan of this phlebotomist). Anyhow, yay for no Carboplatin for either of us (although the voices in my head keep asking if I should insist on it anyhow, just to know I did all I could?). I now think I have thrush and I have a huge sore on my tongue and in my cheek. I forgot to suck on ice during AC round 3, plus I've slacked off on the Activia yogurt, despite telling DJT to eat it. Sigh. I wonder how long my mouth will take to heal, especially since round #4 is in less than a week. I'm with Frog - I hate this stupid disease.

Frog, glad the T doesn't seem too bad. Hoping that you still feel that way now that you're a few days farther along from the infusion.

Duffy, I hope your baby run was good. I'm doing baby walks right now, lol. So sorry your Duffy isn't so perky, but I'm glad he's stable for now.

LIFE, the internet is NOT your friend, lol! That being said, I'm on it far too much, too...:). Good luck tomorrow! I can't remember now - did someone mention taking Claritin for the bone pain if they give you Neulasta? If not, try it - it has helped many of us. I stopped mine too soon (day 5 after my first Neulasta) and the pain was like giving birth when it kicked in on day 8.

Good luck tomorrow, InnaB!

Oh - despite losing most of the hair on my head, I haven't lost it all (nor any of my body hair - I still have to shave my legs, dang it). I SWEAR the hair on my head is growing. I'd buzzed it really short a few weeks ago because it felt like needles pricking my scalp. It was fine after that, but it hurts again and feels longer when I run my hand over it. Anyone else growing hair? Of course, my mind jumps to "the chemo quit working"...

Big hugs to you all!

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Thanks Gawarrior! Also when I got sores in my mouth I would mix a teaspoon of soda water and a teaspoon of salt in a 1 liter bottle and gargle off and on. Seemed to help me a lot.

Everyone have a great weekend!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Thanks, GAWarrior! I read somewhere that Biotene dry mouth wash helps to prevent mouth sores. I hope so... the thought of them scares me. Suck on ice during the AC... have to wash and fill my ice tray. I froze some grapes, will that suffice? Also, have been fighting a major seasonal allergy attacksince Saturday. I don’t even remember the last time i’ve got it this bad. So, Allegra D, plus Claritin, plus Nasacort. I am well stocked on anti-histamines, it seems.

• FDwithfurkids
    FDwithfurkids Member Posts: 24

Hi GAWarrior! I understand the needles stabbing your scalp (at least that’s how I describe it). The hair loss on my head has been slower than expected but I think it’s due to me shaving it close to the scalp. I have shaved it again because I noticed some was growing. Sorry you have to keep shaving your legs. My leg hair is coming out quick (as well as my lady bits-sorry if TMI). If you can stand the clippers on your scalp it’ll probably feel better to take it back down.

My question these days is neuropathy. I talked to MO today because I’m not sure if I’m experiencing the starting of it or if my Memorial Day swimming just made my finger tips and feet bottoms raw. The pool pebbletexh was pretty rough.

• arynb
    arynb Member Posts: 2

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. About to start the a/c portion of my chemo on June 5; 3 months of every 3 weeks then 3 months of weekly taxol. I didn't receive any prior explantations of what to expect so this forum has been a godsend. I had my port placed last week, unfortunately right where by bra and bathing suit straps hit. I'm hoping that as the incision heals it won't be as unbearable to wear a bra. I wish I had read some forums about that ahead of time because it seems that many women have the doctor mark where their bra straps will hit and work around that.

I had not yet heard of neulasta, and don't know if that is something everyone gets? I read a few people mention wearing ice pack socks to prevent the neuropathy. Do you wear these during the infusions or when you are home around the house? I read other suggestions to wear warm socks to chemo, so now am feeling unsure. Also seeing some of you used claritin prior to getting the neulasta. How long do you suggest taking it for? I wish I had been more informed about everything. Feel like without this forum I'd be going in blind.

Keep reading about ice chips as well. Again, is this during the actual infusion? Or more to do at home in the following days?

I have been so anxious about the chemo, moreso than I was with the mastectomy actually. I had horrible morning sickness for my entire pregnancy and my oncologist told me that can be related to increased nausea side effects. It is very encouraging to read that some people had fewer side effects than they had assumed. Hopefully that will be my case!

Other suggestions I read on here that seem very helpful were to get plastic utensils since the metal might taste really bad. Also to buy a waterpik to cut down on risk of gums bleeding during flossing. Nobody told me to see my dentist ahead of time, and just read that today and it is too late to get in so I'm going to be extra vigilant with mouth health.

I so appreciate all the tips everyone shares on here. Though I am surrounded by well-meaning and loving family and friends, it is so reassuring to have somewhere to go to feel solidarity.

Good luck and prayers to all!

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

arynb, Welcome to our group however I'm also sorry that you have to join. I finished up 4of 4 AC treatment May17th, and start my taxol weekly for 12 weeks, tomorrow. So I'm still learning about all the way to handle different SE. I was very nausea during pregnancy and would get IV's. I have to this is different -- SE's are controlled with Nauses medications and if what you have is not working or you get other SE the MO can make adjustments. I got the Neulasta bcuz my AC cycle was 14days so they wanted to ensure my WBC was on the uphill climb before it was going to get knocked back down, which seemed to work. If you get the Neulasta it's attached to you before you leave you're infusion. And than about 24 hours later it begins to administrate the medication, thru a catheter within the Neulasta patch. Take a deep breath, we are all here for you. HUGS!!

• astyanax66

Hi Arynb, and welcome, though of course we're all sorry folks have to have this disease. I too have got great ideas here--like the care of teeth from GAWarrior. This is a very supportive board. :)

I'm very glad for my port--it has been a lifesaver because I have such tiny, hard to see veins. I hope it helps you, too. I'll have mine for a while since I continue Herceptin for a year.

I have not yet had to take Neulasta--my WBC remains fine, a little low, but still normal. My pesky red blood cells are my issue (mean platelet volume and hematocrit go down each time--hemoglobin hovers around an 11, which is *almost* normal). So I've had symptoms of anemia--shortness of breath and fatigue and tachycardia. Weirdly, this is a good sign--the chemo is killing my red blood cells. Um, yay? However, most people who take Neulasta have bad bone pain--I have followed their example and taken a daily regular Claritin for chemo day and three days following. I think it helps. (My bone pain is from the Taxol killing my red blood cells in my marrow; I imagine the Neulasta is much worse from what I have heard).

I have had minor neuropathy--nothing more than "dropping" things on occasion--with some pins and needles/numbness, but nothing too bad. I still have fuzzy hair that is quite thin and hair on my legs, too. NO FAIR! Ah well. I have 4 more sessions of Taxol left and was warned they'd be the hardest due to cumulative effects. I chose not to use ice on hands and feet or cold cap. That's certainly an individual choice, and I know many folks do it. I'm still working 25 hours a week, doing just about all the household chores (sigh, long sigh), and finally getting my kid graduated. Whew. I'm doing well to have clean dishes, laundry, and think straight most days.

I called my dentist just before chemo, and they recommended Biotin mouthwash and a baking soda toothpaste. Knock on wood, no gum or mouth sores. I use it 2-3 times per day.

I get an infusion of steroids (Decadron), anti-nausea meds (Zofran), Benadryl, and Pepcid before each chemo session. Zofran can cause constipation, but it has worked well to control nausea (I take it for 2 days after chemo). I'm going to ask if they can cut back a bit on the steroid, though--it makes me sleepless and somewhat cranky for about a day. ;0

The weirdest side effects I've had are folliculitis (sores like acne on top of head--treated with the same antibiotic wash used before surgery, gone within 2 days) and a couple of urinary tract infections. I have had wild swings from diarrhea to constipation, and give me the diarrhea any day (at least you can take Imodium and rehydrate! There is no easy way to stop the other). I get chemo brain, too, but I do puzzles and play board games and knit--I think they help, can't hurt. I do some meditation as well.

Excellent idea on using plastic utensils--I also use a plastic water bottle, and I drink clear fluids (mostly water, occasionally Gatorade if I feel a bit wonky) all...the...time. I did ice chips and noticed no difference in taste buds, but I drink a lot during chemo to keep things moving.

Food is just...weird. I immediately developed an aversion to meat and some cheese (tasted like eating blood). Yogurt, oatmeal, cream of wheat (good source of iron), Ensure with extra protein, protein bars, baked potatoes (potassium), enriched noodles or rice with parmesan (and some olive oil or a bit of butter), pudding, and milk with Instant Breakfast powder (Iron and protein) my mainstays. Anything to get iron into my diet! Dried apricots and dates are working well, too, for potassium and vitamins. Goldfish crackers and nuts are good snacks. My husband bakes all our bread, and he made a great loaf with quinoa for extra iron. I'd say start mild and bland--and try *anything* that you can eat. I found that noodles, soy sauce, and grilled tofu is quite good, sprinkled with nuts for extra protein. For me, even though I enjoy many vegetables, they are a complete no-go--they taste like dirt. I know it varies by person.

We have some dedicated walkers on here. I try to get in 2000-3000 steps a day (half to 3/4 a mile). I know it's not much, but it's something. We have a lot of stairs in our house, so that gets in some exercise as well.

I hope that helps some. I didn't have to do AC, just the Taxol and Herceptin, but let's just say I will be so happy to be done with the Taxol. I have to be driven an hour each way for treatment once a week (and boy, that's going to stink when I do 5 weeks of daily radiation and then drive 2 hours to work a couple days each week). Well, I'll cross that bridge when it gets here.

PLEASE do ask questions---of us, your care team, everyone. I think many of us came into this not knowing things, and we've all learned and shared our experiences. I am so appreciative of the good advice here--no judgment, no fussing, just lots of wonderful support. :)

Dee

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

We had an appointment with the oncologist today. He was happy to see that my wife seems to be past her infection. He said her counts were back up. They are, but low normal for most of the CBC and Platelets are still low. He said he'd like to do the second round a week from tomorrow (6/7). Hopefully, my wife will be able to get the drain out next Wednesday and we'll be done with the IV antibiotics on Tuesday.

Fingers (and everything else) crossed for an easier time with the second round. They will be starting Neupogen a day or two after the chemo, so hopefully, we can avoid any fevers.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

Hi Engine, glad your wife is feeling better! Hopefully she can enjoy this upcoming "off" week before her next treatment. Is she up for getting out for a walk? My last TC is Monday. I'm planning on waiting a good week or 2 to detox from chemo before starting arimidex if it's ok with my MO. Just want you to know how i admire how much you are supporting your wife. I know it's not easy for you. Just the fact that you seek advice and support here shows how much you care for her. I hope you are taking some time to be good to yourself too because you deserve it.

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Day 4 of 1/12 Taxol

Urdrago, you can do it. Its nothing like AC. We are done with that. I hope you have no reactions and you will see what I mean. No nausea or yuckiness. Lots of bone pain though today. And the pain jumps from limbs to back to ribs. No taste since day 3. I have walked everyday since day 2. I clocked 6000 steps today. I think I overdid it. On AC I was feeling rubbish till day 5. GA Warrior, hugs to you as you get closer to finishing AC.

The bone pain, can I take something for it? My doc did not mention Claritin or anything just plain paracetamol. MO said Taxol SEs will be cumulative . So we will see more of it as we go forward.

I buzzed my hair twice. My eyebrows have thinned. I am dreading losing them. Its winter here so no shaving legs. When can we start talking about hair growing back? Ladies, already few weeks ahead, do you guys feel anything? Its my anniversary next week. Looking forward to rocking the boiled potato look on the special day...sorry bad joke.

• astyanax66

Frogs, I had to beg for something to take for the bone pain with Taxol. I got the "Well, Taxol doesn't usually cause bone pain." It DOES. I found it listed on major sites as a well-known side effect. I finally got some Tramadol (3x per day as needed). It does help some. For some reason, the nurse practitioner was the one who agreed to prescribe it--the doctor was the one who said Taxol shouldn't cause bone pain. Maybe the NP sees it more in patients, not sure. I tried walking more...and I just couldn't. I think it's the anemia, though, more than anything. I'm taking Claritin, too. I think it's definitely do-able. Yes, I've had SE, but all have been manageable. Of course, I know everyone reacts differently.

I will be getting dose 9 this coming Tuesday. Still have bits of hair, but it's so uneven, I wear a cap or scarf. I guess if I had to say how the cumulative effects have been, it's that SE show up quicker. Doses 1-5, I didn't notice much until 36-48 hours later. Now, they start right after (loss of taste, mostly). I have had no problems with nausea, which is nice.

Dee

• Engine104

Hi DebAl,

Thanks so much for the kind words. This is how I've dealt with the last two battles she's had (BC 22 years ago and AML 16 years ago). My wife is not really a social media person and she doesn't like to research things related to her treatment or diagnosis. In addition to being my wife's sole caregiver, I'm also dealing with the loss of two relatives this year and an increasingly frail mother (She turns 99 next week!) and an uncle (93) who fell and broke his hip last week. Fortunately, in my uncle's case, he has a daughter with a good-sized family, so I'm not involved in his care. For my mom, though, I am, though she is receiving great care at a board and care home near us.

My wife has been doing walks each day with our dog for the last week or so. She has always been tough and had a very positive and humorous attitude through her previous cancer battles, as well as this one. I think attitude is so important to the outcome. For example, at the height of her post-mastectomy infection, she told the nurse, "I thought I was growing my boob back." :)

• arynb
    arynb Member Posts: 2

urdrago71: Thank you for letting me know about the link between morning sickness and chemo nausea. That has been my biggest concern going into this. I was so miserable my whole pregnancy and dreaded that feeling again. I am in a clinical trial for nausea medicine and hoping I don't get the placebo. They assured me I will still get standard-of-care meds in addition.

astyanax66: Thanks for all the info. How lucky your husband bakes bread! Jealous! I also have terrible veins. It took 3 technicians 9 tries to get a vein before my PET scan. Not something I want to do all the time. Are steroids part of the chemo or are they something added? I wasn't aware that was a thing. Again, others have said it, but they really need to give everyone a thorough orientation. This is hard enough without having to figure everything out on our own along the way. Interesting about veggies tasting like dirt. I've been making soup and broth and stockpiling it in the freezer. Hopefully it'll taste good to me. I know I need to start exercising more. I had just gotten into a really good routine about 6 months prior to diagnosis, but immediately fell off that wagon and haven't gotten back on. I just got a fitbit and will try to get those steps in. Though I am aware that I will lose all my hair, emotionally I cannot wrap my head around it. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there. I was going to buy a wig, but so many people on here say they bought one and wore it once that maybe I'll save the money. The problem is that I had a Sinead O'Conner obsession in high school and shaved my head to mimic her, and I looked terrible. I wish I didn't know that! Oh well, I guess I can laugh about that. It's going to be summer in Los Angeles which means temps in the 100's so I'm not sure what the best head covering solution is for the heat.

Frog-on-the-lilypad: I like your potato joke. If we cannot laugh what do we have? Laughter has been a true gift during this process for me.

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. This forum has been immeasurably helpful for me.

• linda2119
    linda2119 Member Posts: 60

Hi, everyone. I haven't posted in a while. My last of 4 AC doses is tomorrow - I can't wait to be done.

arynb: my understanding of the need for neulasta is that if you are doing AC every 3 weeks, you don't need it because your body has enough time to regenerate white blood cells on its own. If you have AC every other week, your body needs the neulasta boost.

I've been lucky with AC - my side effects have been minimal. I take the Zofran for about 5 days after the infusion (which indeed causes constipation. This has been the worse issue I have had - my pregnancy hemorrhoids have reared their ugly heads!) I tend to feel "off" for those days, but not bad. My oncologist pharmacist told me to take Claritin daily through the whole of AC, which I have done religiously. I experienced the metal taste this last go round, but it was gone after about a week. I have been craving salty foods which is unusual for me - ate a bunch of doritos last week - I don't even like them that much!

Hair loss - in addition to my scalp hair, I have lost all those pesky whiskers on my face! I'm loving that part of it. The hair on my legs doesn't seem to grow as fast - also a nice plus.

So looking ahead to paclitaxel - frog - what premeds are they giving you? I would like to ice during the taxel. My MO doesn't buy into it, but he isn't there for the infusion so.... can't hurt, right? I also dread losing eyebrows and eyelashes - I was thinking last night that maybe I'd start wearing glasses instead of contact lenses to hide my eyebrows. I don't really like my glasses, but I don't really like my wig either and I'm wearing that everyday to work.

I am worn down emotionally - this is certainly a long haul kind of treatment. Trying to keep my spirits up can be more difficult.

I appreciate reading everyone's posts, even though I'm kinda quiet.

Happy Thursday to everyone.

• Weeeddie
    Weeeddie Member Posts: 17

astyanax66, GAwarrior, and all you other fighting Ladies, glad to report I'm on the mend. Temp is behaving itself Thank God, I have moved onto oral antibiotics and if everything stays as is I will get home tomorrow on them. My 1st Taxol treatment has moved out 1 week to 11th June. To be honest after this week I would love to run away from all this, I hate what we all have to go through. I know tomorrow will be a better day and as my husband keeps telling me "Michelle this will be in our rear view window in a couple of months" and I can't wait 😁

• astyanax66

Weeedie, that's good to hear! Infection scares me to death. Trust me, I have many "run away" days...even in my dreams, lol.

Linda, great to hear from you! Yes, I'm not missing those things on my face, either. My legs are more stubborn, but I'm ignoring them. ;0

Here, our standard chemo pre-infusion is Zofran, Pepcid, Benadryl, and Decadron (steroid). I love that Zofran nips my nausea asap with no grogginess (as with Phenergan). But yes, really can cause constipation, so good to be aware of it. Hate hate hate constipation. I mean, really, what can you do??

GAWarrior, we're surviving ATL traffic thus far. The boys went to get dinner, and I'm actually craving those french fries, so must be time for some potassium. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Hair is so very, very personal, I think. I believe it is heartbreaking for many of us. Okay, this may be blasphemy, but I don't mind my buzz cut. Gosh, I can get ready so fast after a shower. I'm kind of curious what it will look like when it comes back. I'm sure I'll be glad to see it, but for a hot summer in GA, I am not too upset. Eyebrows are a different story. They are thin, but hanging on. I expect they will vanish soon. I'm just glad they stuck around for graduation because I have no idea how to 'paint' them on!

Y'all have a good weekend--I'm overseeing my son heading to honors day, then prom, then graduation, with a lot of help from friends who live here.

dee

• gawarrior

Thanks, LIFE and InnaB, I've been doing the salt water rinse thing and using Biotene for the last couple of days, but I think it all got too far ahead of me. The MO called in a Dyflucan RX for me yesterday. Both my dentist bosses were on the fence about whether it really is thrush, but I can already see a difference in the white coating on my tongue after one pill, so fingers crossed the RX helps. Wondering what fresh hell will Round #4 bring on Tuesday?

arynb, welcome, but sorry you're here. My port was placed in mid-April and was sore for a few weeks, but I can actually (almost) tolerate the seat belt in the car now, which runs right over it. I bet your bras/bathing suit straps will be fine in a couple of weeks. Do a search for padded seat belt covers, etc, that you can make. I'm sure you can buy them if needed, too. RE: the ice for hands/feet...you wear them from about 15-20 minutes before they begin the infusion, all the way through it, and for another 15-20 min after. I bought socks that came with the ice packs on Amazon (and a second pair to use as gloves), then some other ice packs to supplement since they won't stay cold that whole infusion time and you have to switch them out. There are other notes on here (I think under the Pinned Posts?) about people who made their own with frozen bags of veggies and velcro, or soaked hands/feet in tubs of ice water during infusions. Anyhow, I bring a small ice chest on wheels to my infusions and keep the ice in there. Just be sure to suck on the ice during the infusion, too!! I had no problem with mouth sores for AC #1 or #2, but got to chatting with the oncology nurse during AC #3 and forgot to do it. Now, I'm paying the price with a very sore mouth and ulcers on my tongue and cheeks. RE: a dental visit - I work for dentists and we have cancellations all the time. You might call yours on Monday morning and tell them to put you in if someone cancels that day. We often can slide someone in to cover a day-of cancellation and we are fully booked until Jan. 2019! If you get neulasta, take your Claritin (NOT Claritin D) at least through day 5. My bone pain doesn't hit until day 8, so I take it through day 10, but YMMV. NO ONE told me to watch out for constipation, which both AC and the anti-nausea med, Zofran, can give you. If you do anything - do yourself a favor and take a stool softener and eat high fiber foods, like dried prunes. That was a pretty miserable SE of AC #1,2 until I figured out what to do about it! FWIW, I've had absolutely NO issues with taste or food, so you may not have it either. Everyone else's SE may not be your SEs! Also, I was super-tired and flu-like from the late afternoon of Day 4 (counting infusion day as Day 1) for about 24-30 hours, then it went away. I say that so you'll know that it isn't forever. KEEP a diary of your symptoms and what you took (Claritin, Pepcid, etc) each day for the first round, that will help with the other rounds as SEs don't vary too much (for the most part). Also, though we may be getting a lot of the same meds, a lot of us are on different regimens. Example: I'll be getting 12 weekly rounds of T and was terrified of the SEs until I realized that I'll be getting it weekly and some ladies on here are getting it DD which gives them stronger SEs and makes it tougher to deal with. Not saying 12 weeks will be a walk in the park, but I think (hope... PRAY) the weekly dose will be a little easier! Oh - they give a steroid infusion just before starting the A infusion, then you'll get the C infusion after the A is done. The first infusion was about 5 hours, total, for me, the next 2 were about 3.5 hours each. Bring snacks, try to drink at least 2 liters of water daily, starting the day before. You'll pee orange a few times after the A (I do for about 24 hours). If you ice (they say it's not necessary to ice for AC, but I have iced during the A), be aware that your hands/feet may throb and feel like needles for awhile after. I didn't know this and called the MO, who worried I had a blood clot and sent me to the ER.*Don't be shy about telling your MO about ANY SE so they can hop on them quickly - my MO says "people don't want to bother us, but how can we help them if we don't know?". RE wigs, I wear one to work and hate it. I live in scarves the rest of the time. I'm in GA, so I can only imagine how awful it will be to wear that flipping wig in mid-July, gahhhhhh. :(

Engine, happy birthday to your mom!! That's awesome and it's also great that your wife is doing better (love her positive attitude). I sure hope her next round goes better. Good luck to your uncle!

Frog, I'm glad you're doing well. I'm not looking forward to bone pain though.. At least you're walking! I'm thrilled to walk 2 miles at this point.

Hang in there, Linda2119. I understand how you feel - this AC round 3 kicked me good, We can do it - just think, you're 1/3 of the way through this! Good luck with #4 today!

Weeedie, so glad you're doing better! I'd love to run away with you...some days I just can't imagine how I ended up here, going through this crap.

Astaynax - congrats on your son's graduation! Celebrate with some french fries, lol. Glad you're surviving ATL's traffic. :)

Hugs to all of you!

• Engine104

Dear GAWarrior,

Thanks! Mom doesn't want us to do anything for it. We'll go over with a cake and cards anyway on Monday. The biggest issue was what to do about my wife when we go over. We decided not to tell my mom about my wife's BC. My wife has lost about 90% of her hair, so she went out and bought a wig the other day. It looks like how she wore her hair before, so hopefully, mom won't notice.

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

Hi all, trying to catch up with everyone's news, glad to see most of it is fairly good. GA warrior, the thrush battle is best fought as quick as you think you have it, I have had it after each infusion treatment. The lozenges do work quickly.

Weedie, hope you are still on the upward swing of feeling better. Dee, my eyebrows are also thinning, andc I'm worried . But I have found several kits ..inexpensive, to darken and etch, before they are totally gone. I figure it helps to give me a feel for how to draw on when they are completely gone. There are stencils available to assist in drawing on brows. Wow this is work!! ya know!

Frog, taking ibuprofen for the bone pain actually helped me more than claritin, or both together completely eliminated it . Hope it improves.

Duffysmom, hope all is well as we move towards the 3rd round on Tuesday. This week has been better tummy wise, but I've been quite tired. Dee, I did go back to the activia, but it doesn't appeal to me now! Good thing they are small portions.

Linda , Astyan, and engine.....hope the weekend is a good one. hang in there, and everyone else. Best to all, I've been so moody, just feel like hibernation with my books, and trying to get in some of the grandkids end of school year events.

• gawarrior

Engine - you HAVE to celebrate your mom! 99 deserves cake, at least, and some balloons and streamers on the wall of her room. I lost my dad last year, about 2 months after he turned 98. It's such a blessing to get to have a parent for so long! He didn't want to do anything for his birthday beyond going out for dinner and a cake, but I hung up balloons and streamers regardless and they were still up when I went back the following week, so I know he enjoyed them. Fingers crossed your wife feels good and that your mom won't notice. Enjoy your mini-celebration! Grab for any spot of happiness in this whole mess. :)

Djt, they gave me pills for the thrush, no lozenges. I was sorta surprised, but I'm doing the salt water rinses and Biotene, and it all seems to be helping. Thanks for the idea about pain management for the T, since I face that in about 3 weeks. Like you, I've been feeling pretty moody and grumpy, I suppose because I'm tired and sore. I'm usually pretty sunny and can't wait to get back to that side of myself. I say that you should hibernate whenever possible! I'm cleaning the house today, since I won't have the energy for the next 2 weeks, and that's making me feel like less of the slacker that I've been feeling like lately.

Don't I remember reading about some of you bleeding while urinating? I sneezed and had a little leakage (sorry, TMI), then got a shock when I ran up to use the bathroom. What next? SMH

• Engine104

Hi GAWarrior,

We'll going to celebrate it, even if mom doesn't want to :) The board and care home where she is living will put up balloons and we'll bring more stuff over too.

I think the bleeding while urinating post was from me. My wife experienced this with her first round of TC. It got pretty heavy as her counts dropped. Now that the counts are back to almost normal, the bleeding has completely stopped.

• gawarrior

Thanks, Engine. I'm now anemic and my counts were way down after this round, so I bet that's why I have the problem. I'm post-menopausal, so it was a shock, lol.

Have a great time with your mom! We'll all be waiting to hear how it went. :)

• Engine104

My wife is 16 years post-menopausal. When the bleeding happened after the first round, we were worried being that they could not find any lymph nodes to test after her mastectomy (They pulled all of them when she had DCIS in the same breast 16 years ago), but the counts are up and it has stopped completely for a week or so now.

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

Engine, glad to hear your wife's bleeding dissipated. Hope you enjoy a wonderful celebration too.

Has anyone else got nosebleeds? That's been my only bleeding, but rather heavy duty ones.

• Brennalynn
    Brennalynn Member Posts: 4

Thank you for information. It was really quite bothersome and definitely not expected.

• Engine104

Dear DJT,

So far, this time, my wife hasn't had any nosebleeds, but they are possible when your platelets are down.