Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

Duffyzmom, I am so sorry to hear that you had to say goodbye to Duffy.  It is one of the hardest decisions we have to make for our beloved pets.

Thank you all for keeping us informed about the SE's and suggestions for help.  This group has been a godsend.  I had Chemo #3 of 4 T/C yesterday.  Only one more round to go!  Yippee!

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Duffzmom: I'm so sorry to hear about Duffy.

My brother in law, a retired oncologist and ER doctor is visiting for the weekend. I'm going to see what he thinks about the TailoX study. He's been out of oncology for many years now, having switched to emergency medicine, but he may have some thoughts once he reads the journal article. I know it won't have any affect on my wife's treatment plan. I'll let you know what he says.

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

duffysmom..My sincere condolences in your loss. My little buddy, Daisy, left me a good 6 years ago. And I'll tell you, yesterday I had a real real bad day for quite a few reasons. The only thing I could think of was how I missed Daisy, feeling her little soft head as she would push her way under my arm close to me when she saw me in distress, I don't say this to further your grief, but to share it with you and appreciate how awful it is to lose our little fur friends. I hope you are doing as well as you can.

Same for all here, and that SEs are doable. I'm on day 4 after my 3rd treatment from Tuesday, and had a rip roaring upset with my significant other last night, then overnight the stabbing crazy bone pain was very bad. I had to get away, and drove the hour and a half to my house, and cut the lawn. I must have super powers. I don't know about anyone else, but in my life experiences, it's always when you need someone the most , they have some reason to look at me with a blank stare and not seem to find it necessary to step up.

But the sun is out and it's a very pretty day.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Duffy I am so sorry. Focus on the great life you provided that sweet pup. And I remind people that you should feel sorry for the dogs that nobody cries over.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

good afternoon, Just wishing everyone an uneventful weekend with minimal/no side effects. Duffyzmom, I'm so sorry. The emptiness the loss of a pet causes in your home is indescribable. Congrats to everyone finishing chemo and or moving on to the next step. With TC done I'm waiting a week or 2 to start with the AI and just waiting for exchange surgery. The pill is on my counter but right now I'm just looking at it!! Take care everyone and have a great weekend

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Duffyzmom, so sorry! Thinking about you and your furry charges.

Urdrago, good to know the infusion went well! Wish you a relaxing weekend and few side effects. Regarding the surgery, here is my list:

Power lift recliner (I still sleep in it 6 weeks post surgery because I can't sleep on my sides yet and can't sleep on my back due to back issues. My breast surgeon recommended getting it and if I could, I would kiss her for the suggestion.)

Mastectomy pouch for keeping the drains. (They will give you mastectomy bras in the hospital with little hoops to hook the drains on, but they are still dangling too low for comfort)

Shirts that button in front, because you wont be able to lift your hands.

Bath sponge on a long handle to be able to wash yourself after the drains come out.

Shower chair. I didn't think about it, but my friend donated hers to me and it was very convenient for the first 10 showers.

A thingy to put on the seat belt, so it won't press on your scars. I forgot how it's called, but if you go in Amazon and search for 'mastectomy', you'll see it immediately.

I think that was it. If I recall something else, I'll add it later.

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Thanks All for the comforting words. I know it seems strange but I swear Duffy is my guardian angel today. This is the best I've felt on Day 5 following chemo. Probably didn't hurt that yesterday was crying/resting more than anything. DJT- yes he had been my comfort through my previous chemo and it will be strange not having him here with me. I understand how your loss of Daisy is felt even years later.

Engine - nice to have an oncologist in the family.

Ingerp - so true! I boxed up all of Duffy's things and donated them to our local rescue today. It made me feel better to think of his stuff doing some good for another puppy.

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Thanks, re: Taxol updates, Frog. I'm worried, but happy to be moving on in treatment. I'm sorry you can't ice, but I see why you can't. What kind of polish are you using on your nails? A regular one or an anti-fungal? I need to get some before T starts. Good luck staying cold-free with your sick little one.

LIFE, hang in there. This all comes at you so fast, but I also felt better once I started treatment. At least I was doing something! Sending hugs!

Engine - how was your mom's birthday?

Oh, no, Duffyzmom, I'm so sorry! It is so hard to lose a beloved family member. My heart goes out to you - lots of hugs, too..

Urdrago, glad this infusion went well. I'm sorry you're having to take the bone marrow shots. My MO says our counts won't drop low enough to need them, but I wonder since mine have gone so low on the AC. You're halfway through chemo - yay for you! I hope your shingles are laying low and not giving you too much trouble.

Astyanax, glad you are almost done with your T. Thanks for the ideas re what to eat. Any problems with food tasting weird on the T? I haven't had that problem with AC, but have noticed that just the idea of some things turn my stomach now. I made a big pot of yummy soup this week, ate one bowl, enjoyed it, and now I can't look at it. Into the freezer it goes...

InnaB, can they do the 12 week T, instead of dose dense? It doesn't hurt to ask. My MO gave me the choice. I'm doing the 12 weeks so it's easier to manage SE.

I'm happy (and a little nervous that I'm jinxing something) to report that I've sailed through today, which is usually my bad "flu like" day after AC. Man, I had terrible bone pain yesterday, though - I took a 2nd Claritin and regular Tylenol, which did nothing for it. Neither did a heating pad. I had to break out prescription Tylenol so I could sleep. The pain was gone this morning, but i wonder if the Neulasta kicked in sooner than usual and my counts didn't go so low, which is why I'm feeling decent (just tired). Who knows, but I'll take it!

Wishing you all a good weekend!

• InnaB2018

GAWarrior, I did ask about the 12 weeks Taxol regimen, but my MO said that in my case she believes the dose dense will work better. I am guessing it’s because I had lymphovascular invasion, and she wants to really squash fast the microscopic cells that might be swimming in my blood stream, for all I know. I did consult another oncologist and she recommended the same regimen. I guess I am in for a treat. Wishing you a smooth sailing through the weekend.

As far as nail polish, in one board I found recommendation for the OPI nail straightener, which I started to use.

• Engine104

Hi everyone,

Well, my brother in law hasn't been an oncologist for many years. He switched to emergency medicine in the early 90's. Oncology changes so quickly, I doubt he's been keeping up, but he has been a good sounding board for us.

Mom's birthday was nice. We took a cake over to her board and care place and spent some time with her. She is totally with it, mentally, but physically, she is very frail. She never misses a Dodgers game on TV, though :)

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Hello ladies and Engine,

Duffyzmom, I am so so sorry for your loss. Good to know your infusion went well and you are feeling good.

Dee, I know what you mean with weekly Taxol. With every infusion I fear the cumulative effects. Going in for number 3 on monday. No premeds or steroids this time....eee

GA Warrior, I am using the same one that Inna B mentioned the OPI Nail strengthener. I dry them thoroughly after washing my hands. I gently push back the cuticles. Also, I keep the nails super short. In regards to food I like things which have a lot of crunch like salads and ....fruit salads.

Urdrago, Yayy on getting to the halfway mark, right there with you. Wishing you a quiet restful weekend. This is a link I found on the forum some time back. I liked the tips on it. I hope the link works.https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topics/818139?page=2#post_5207555

Maggie, almost there. One more to go for you.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Edited: Anybody has pain on the portacath side radiating towards chest and underarm. I might have been overdoing things around the house. Or is it from the Taxol? Anyone else

• InnaB2018

Ths OPI nail thingy is called Nail Envy

• astyanax66
    astyanax66 Member Posts: 223

Hi, Frog...was it you who was taking some Benadryl on your own preinfusion? It sure has helped me.

Leli, how are the hives? There’s no a chance it could be shingles, is there? If I’m repeating myself, forgive my brain!

GAWarrior, I did have some mild taste problems early on, but I’ve found plenty of things that do taste okay. By day 5, I can eat most things. Today, I had a sausage biscuit, a couple of yogurts, and ravioli with olive oil. I snacked on dates and crackers. I know sausage isn’t a great choice, but my anemia needs some red meat, and mostly it makes me gag. Stuff with seasoning is tolerable. Like I said before, the tofu has been wonderful—drained, cut, dredged in cornstarch, and grilled until crisp. I add a mild teriyaki sauce, just enough for taste. I eat tofu about 2-3 times a week for iron and calcium, and mashed or baked potatoes 3-4 times a week for potassium, which has climbed to healthy levels.

So I have a weird thing going on with eosinophils. Before treatment, they were normal. For 7 weeks, normal. Treatments 8 and 9, they went from 2-3 to 7! Should I be worried? Everyone said it’s no big deal. WBC is good. My hemoglobin went up a tiny bit, though platelets are low in volume and RBC droops. Anyone know much about this?

DH is on one of the respite weekends we planned. DS helped me tidy up junk in master bedroom. It was tiring, but I stopped when I felt on the edge of overdoing it. We all were tired and fried after graduation last weekend. So much arranging and driving. Screaming bone pain for 2 days this week, better now.

The doctor filed all my “after chemo” papers for FMLA—40 hours, only 1-2 days at office; picky boss said it would be good to have me back on campus. Hmmmm... ;)

Rest up for the next week, everyone!

Dee

• Djt

Dee, I'm so glad for you that your FLMA is moving ahead. I hope I understand correctly you will only have to work 1 or 2 days a week. That's fabulous.

Engine, sounds like the cake with your mom was a wonderful decision, hope wife is continuing to improve.

GA Warrior, Life and Frog...are you taking any B vitamins for nails also? I just started to nail polish with dark colors, but have been astounded my nails have not been affected (yet) and they are growing good too. I swear that sublingual 10,000 mcg of b12 does it. I also ice hands and feet every chemo.

Eating is so so, but drinking is a problem for me. Cold icy water sounds so good, but taste so bad. I don't li ke soda, but even resorted to try that. Mimics rust corrosion. Orange juice is ok, but has so much sugar, I'm limited ....idk. cheeseburgers are my go to for protein, and fudgescicles fill in the rest.

Hope everyone's Sunday had some good moments, and some sunshine.

• astyanax66

Well, I still work 5 days a week, but luckily, can telecommute for 3-4 of them, so that's good.

Have you tried Propel water? I like it better than plain water. What about "flat" soda? I don't like soda, either, but when I felt dehydrated, drinking it flat was okay. Hope you find something that helps with hydration. :(

Dee

• Positiveinohio
    Positiveinohio Member Posts: 22

Happy Sunday Everyone,

Duffy so sorry about your dog!! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Engine - I am glad you had a nice birthday visit with your mom and hope your wife is feeling better.

Dee, I am with you on this late stage of taxol. I have been really struggling these last couple of weeks with only 2 more to go. I just have not been able to bounce back on day five and six like I had. Just really fatigued and achy. I have followed your some of your food suggestions and have been trying to increase my iron intake. My numbers have been just below normal which the doctors/nurses still say are good but I can sure tell they have dropped. I actually had to leave work early one day which I had not had to do. Oh well we can do it!!!!!

GAWarrior I am sure you will to fine with the Taxol especially since you had the AC first.

Thinking of all of you this week!!! Take care of yourseves!!!

• Engine104

My wife is feeling well. Thanks. Unfortunately, she is still getting some drainage from the surgical incision and where the drain was. I'm not happy about that because it would be best if she was done with that before they restart chemo on Thursday.

• astyanax66

Hi Frog—I definitely had aches for several weeks after port placement. It also hurts if i overdo it...maybe the muscles in that area get fatigued more quickly? I put a pot on a shelf just last week and felt it.

When Taxol pain hits, mine is all in the pelvis and long bones—legs are worst. It starts about 24-36 hours after infusion and lasts a couple of days. My arms feel fairly normal.

Positive, I'm glad your counts have remained close to normal. So, I go on Tuesday for 10/12 and I've tried to tell everyone that these last few weeks of June will not be my best. Like you, symptoms lasted longer this week. Today was pretty good.

Have a good week, all!

Dee

• ingerp

I'm over in the May 2018 group but love checking in with you ladies who are ahead of me. When you talk about pain from Taxol, did it show up later in your tx or was it there from the start? I did #4 on Friday and haven't experienced any so I'm wondering if it just hasn't shown up yet?

• Djt

thank you, got to work on the hydrating big time today, nose bleeds from dryness. Some flat soda does work, i may go back to tea also.

Hope all have a positive week.

• astyanax66

I hadn't thought about tea--that's a really good idea!

Hi, Ingerp--mine did not show up right away. I would say it was maybe week 5-6 before it was noticeable enough to warrant taking something for pain. I did do the Claritin from the start, too. Maybe I had a few aches on weeks 3-4, but nothing worse than like overworked muscles. I hate to say this, but my current pain med didn't do much last week (#9). That was a bit scary, but I'm honestly afraid to ask for anything in this era of opioid fears. (I don't know what it's like in other states, but doctors here are terrified to prescribe anything). I get that, but I don't see why having 2 pills a week to cover breakthrough pain for 3 more weeks (so, like 6 pills) is a problem....Anyway, on my bad pain night, I took Tylenol, Aleve, and Benadryl, and finally got some sleep.

I know this is jumping ahead, but has anyone been told about port removal? I know I have a ways to go--Herceptin through February 2019. And I understand the wisdom of keeping it in a bit longer, like maybe until the end of 2019. But even though it has been very helpful and doesn't bother me....I do want it out. I've heard about people being told to keep it for like 5 years! No way! Also, if it has to be flushed once a month, that's another 2 hours of driving each visit (unless my PCP can do that in the office). Y'all, I'm so...tired...of...driving. And radiation will be even more "fun"! Whew....;0

dee

• astyanax66

Unless we can get me a Porche Cayman. I would drive better. Do they come in automatic?

• ingerp

Ugh astyanax--I am noticing a bit more fatigue but am really keeping my fingers crossed that all of the SEs don't get too much worse. No neuropathy yet either--guess I have that to look forward to!! And I'm so sorry you're tantalizingly close but not quite there yet. I try not to take for granted my easy-peasy 15-minute drive for tx. Are you only doing 20 sessions of rads? That's hard enough but doable. And I'm *pretty* sure that Cayman comes in automatic. ;-) (FWIW, my family relatively recently discovered podcasts. Seem to work pretty well on long drives. And I just decided I need to learn all of the music/lyrics to Hamilton, so it's on every time I'm in my car. Some people really like audiobooks. Can you switch up what you listen to?)

• Positiveinohio
    Positiveinohio Member Posts: 22

Ingerp - I was tired and a little achy on days 3-5 but nothing that really hampered my activity. I developed neuropathy after treatment 7 but increased my B6 and B12 vitamins and added L. Glutamine tablets. The Glutamine was a suggestion on this board and it really helped. My neuropathy has substantially and is bearable. However, after treatment 8 I have become extremely tired and the body aches are worse. I use NyQuil to help me sleep at night when I am really achy. I also added claritan per Dee's suggestion. I thought Taxol was going to be a piece of cake but these last few weeks are going to make it more difficult but still doable.

Dee, I have not asked about the port yet but I assumed it would come out after my Herceptin ends in April, 2019. I see my MO this week so I will ask. Also, have you tried audible books for your drive? Two hours is awful. I am lucky in that there is a new cancer center in my small town less than a mile from my house. This is where I have my MO/RO appointments, chemo and will get radiation at next month. However, my parents live 4 hours away and when I go visit them, I enjoy downloading a book on my phone and listening to it on the drive. I also joined Kindle unlimited which lets you borrow books for free and some of these books come with free audible book or you can add for a small fee. I received a 3 month trial membership for .99. I also like to listen to audible books during treatment as it blocks out all the other noises and seems to make the time go faster. Good Luck tomorrow.

Engine, I wish you wife the best of luck on Thursday and hope that the drainage stops soon.

• Engine104

Thanks, Positiveino. She said there was less yesterday and very little today, so hopefully it is resolving.

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Hello Ladies. Hope you all had a very nice relaxing weekend. I got my MRI done Friday. See Dr this Thurs before my 3(4) DD Taxel to talk with him about. Face is still a little numb but starting to get better. Hands and feet still on fire and my hands are peeling like crazy! Nurse told me they are going to wrap my feet in ice towels and hands this treatment to help alleviate all that. Wonder if they can do that for my face too. Brrrr!

Duffyzman I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your fur baby. Having to say goodbye is heart wrenching to say the least. Yet the kindness act of love we can show them when it is time. Good idea on taking all those goodies to help with other fur babies waiting for their new homes. That was cool! :)

Frog on the lilypad Ok first I have to say I absolutely love your nickname. It is too cute! Yes! My port causes me pain in my chest area. It really seems to hurt when I find myself stressed. I believe it is because I am not having good posture these days. Also feels very tender and bursed after each treatment.

DJT. Yes I am also taking Vitimin B6. 200mg twice a day as well a a sublingual B12 every day. My Dr told me my nails would slow down on taxel. I have had 2DD and I believe they are growing like weeds! Craziness. I only have some weird sliver looking nails and brusing but nothing else. My cuticles are really dry no matter what I do. I have not put polish on. Could be to late for that as I did notice one of my nails is starting to crack inside the nail bed. Ugg!

GaWarrior Good Luck with your new chemo treatments. I can't say how weekly will go but I can say that so far I am not as tired, foggy and can eat different foods now then I could on A/C.

Engine Prayers all goes well with your wife's treatment this week!

InnaB2018. Going to check out that show you suggested to keep up my spirits this weekend as I love comedies!

Underage Hope your feeling better this week!

Well it is chemo week for me so I have to get some stuff done. (Chemo nesting)

Best of luck to all who are having treatments or recovering from treatments this week!

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

Hi LIFE, I still check in on this awesome group. I finished my chemo June 2. Consider using bag balm (Wal-Mart $7 for a big jar) for your cuticles if you haven't tried it, it may help. It's been around for ages. I use it faithfully twice a week. Rub it in well all over my hands and feet, focusing on the cuticles. Its pretty greasy but soaks in. Then I put on a cheap pair of cotton gloves and socks for about an hour or two, read a book or watch tv. I may start doing it more since nail issues tend to come after taxotere treatment is complete. It's worked well for me do far. Hugs to everyone!

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Thank you DebAl

Any suggestions on what I can do about this nail that decided to crack in the bed? My nails have been growing like weeds and so I cut them every two weeks and apparently I must not have got this cut quick enough cuz now it's split halfway down the bed of the nail. Good gravy

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Taxol 3 day 2

No Dee, I did not get any steroids or premeds this time. No bone pain yet. Very tired. That could also be because I had freaked myself out by reading substandard research on google the night before infusion.

DebAl, yayyyy for you. Take care of yourself and take it easy.

Life, thank you, I was thinking of nicknames and my kid came and asked me to draw her a frog on the lilypad, I liked the way she said it and thats how the nickname. About nails, please keep them really dry, after a bath. Also, you can soak them in vinegar water or add few drops of tea tree oil in water. This is to keep infections away. Then moisturize like DebAl suggested. I do hope your nail does not add to the list of SEs. My nails are growing really slow and have become very hard. My hands are really dry as well. I do not know if its the chemo or its me washing my hands like a germaphobe every hour.

Yes, the portacath pain had me worried. Also, for the last three times they had to prick me twice to get blood. I feel like a pin cushion. I can still feel some soreness 24 hours after the infusion.

I have really enjoyed soda. I had it after ages and I could taste something.

Wishing everyone uneventful weeks ahead.

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Hi All! InnaB and Frog, thanks for the OPI nail envy recommendation. Pricey stuff (!) but I picked some up this past weekend. My fingertips have been feeling bruised the past two rounds of AC (despite icing during the A infusion), but my nails are super-strong. Hoping that doesn't change on T. Thanks for the bag balm idea, DebAL. Djt, I've been taking B6 and B12 and have started L-Glutamine in preparation for T, thanks! I'm glad to hear that icing is working for you, too - I plan to do that for T.

You all have me worrying about T and bone pain now! I'm already worried about neuropathy, drat it all. I've had neulasta pain twice on AC and it was pretty unbearable. I can't imagine it going on for a couple of days every week. Not to mention the exhaustion that seems to come at the end. Oh well, I'll get through this, right?

The dental hygienist in me cringes to hear you all talk about drinking soda, flat or otherwise. Please don't do this as a between-meals hydration plan. Sipping on soda (or water with lemon) is a quick way to Cavity-land. I get it - nothing tastes good, but try to limit the soda to meals only, when your mouth is already acidic. Same for tea with sugar - just walk away... Sorry to be a party pooper, but I don't want you to get through this only to find out you have dental problems afterwards. :)

LIFE, maybe the Opi nail envy would help your splitting nail? It's a nail strengthener.

Urdrago, how are you doing?

Dee, I hope your eosinophils have resolved by now.

LIFE and Engine's wife -good luck with chemo this week! Hoping everyone else does well this week, too, whether you are getting a treatment or trying to bounce back from last week's infusion..