Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

The oncologist told us today that this next (4th) round of TC will be Janice's last one. He'd told us when we began that we could do 4 instead of 6 if she was having a tough time. Three hospitalizations, including one with Sepsis, constitutes having a hard time. That's for sure. The therapeutic benefit of four rounds of TC is not very much different than six. Hopefully, she will have an easier time with this last round.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

great news Engine, I am sure you both cannot wait to have this last one in the rear view mirror. Keeping fingers crossed her last one is uneventful. I am 8 weeks from last chemo. I am missing the middle section, yes middle section of my left eyebrow, have any of you seen it?! Of all things, how ridiculous! The rest of the eyebrows are pretty thin, a few eyelashes left to put mascara on. On a positive note scalp is covered with hair and its growing in fast so I'll take it. Hoping each of you feel a little better each day. Hugs to all

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Deb—too bad it’s too early for woolly caterpillars. Are your eyelashes coming back? Did you lose them all? Congrats on the head hair!

• Engine104

Sorry to hear that, DebAl. Janice lost her eyebrows after the first round, along with everything else.

Thanks. This is good news. Just have to pray for no SEs this time. They said we have been doing the max dose of Neupogen and she still gets neutropenic.

Also, he asked about neuropathy, Janice said the bottoms of her feet feel dry, but they aren't. He said that's the start of this and it may get worse after this next round. No sign of that in her hands, fortunately.

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Deb I am 4 weeks out from last chemo and all my eyes brows are gone. I have 3 eye lashes in one eye and 5 on the other.

I was so upset last night when I looked in the mirror and all my eyebrows were gone. I even laid in bed this morning contemplating not going to work because I felt like I look like such a freak. However I sucked it up and went to work and got over it. Well maybe not over it, but accepting it more. That's awesome news to hear about your hair!

Engine that is wonderful news about Janice! I'm glad that they are paying attention and deciding to cut down the treatment so she doesn't have any more problems. That's a good doctor that pays attention.

You know I was thinking the other day. I love reading your posts, receiving your support and supporting you when I can. I think about you during the day and sometimes share your stories with my SO and coworkers. I have learned so much from each of you. Not just about chemo or treatments or side effects but about life as well. Each of us have our own separate roads as chemo ends. Some of us will be going to radiation others will be going through surgery. I was just wondering if we would all stay on the same board and continue to communicate through these Journeys or go our separate ways on to other boards? I understand what has brought us together and pray that as our treatments end we can all move forward with our lives and never have to endure this again. I want you all to know that you have become a very important part of my life. I would not have made it through this without you. Although this may be pre mature I also want to tell you that I will never forget you and your kindness during one of these hardest times of my life.

It's to bad we all live so far apart. Getting together and meeting in person would be so cool!

Julia (Julz)

• debal

Engine, I am so so glad Janice is almost done with chemo. She really has had a tough time. Reason to celebrate once you get her through this. Ingerp, wooley caterpillars lol! I still have a few lashes. I pleased with the hair growth. Even more thankful for feeling good to be honest. Truthfully I haven't felt this good in a long time. Looking back in the months prior to diagnosis I was dead tired. Then I heard so many others say they felt the same. Surgery next week and 100% ready. I hope everyone has a good evening.

• Engine104

Thanks, everyone. I wish they had "Like" and "Love" buttons on here :)

I'll feel like celebrating after this round is over and we haven't had any major SEs.

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

DebAl

Good to hear that you're starting to feel better in 8 weeks out. I'm 4 weeks out and I'm starting to get a little energy, but still tire easily. Certain foods still taste weird and I am still achy and dealing with neuropathy issues.

I guess I need to calm down and give it more time before I get all excited about the side effects.

Good to hear your gearing up for surgery. The sooner you get it done the sooner you can start healing and moving on! :)

• FDwithfurkids
    FDwithfurkids Member Posts: 24

Good evening all. You are all so wonderful to think of me. Vacation was good. Never long enough though. Mom is doing well after her knee surgery. No more irrigation troubles.

My MO called me with scan results. He told me that the breast mass is smaller (which I knew because I can barely feel it anymore) also the lymph nodes are smaller and not as 'hot'. The exciting news is that the barnacles (aka bone lesions) are almost gone! I can't wait to see the pictures and compare to the scary pre-treatment pics.

I have the final tx (from the original plan) on the 7th. MO and I will discuss what next. I'm guessing more chemo (or different cocktail).

I need to take notes to remember who's who. I read and want to respond but then lose track of who wrote what. So I'm gonna be a bit general. Sorry.

Headaches-I'm not sure if it's the taxol (I haven't had it) but I wonder if you need more water? Dehydration has always been an issue for me and I find the headache will last for days even after I start to rehydrate.

Eyebrow/lashes- I haven't lost mine really (just most head hair, leg hair, arm hair and 'other' hair). But I am certain I would also struggle. I can't believe how well I handled losing my head hair. But my neighborhood (including my work) commonly see women in head wraps and scarves so I feel like I still fit in. But losing the eyebrows would be tough. You ladies are super tough and I know you'll get through

I wish we also had 'like' and 'love' buttons. I wonder if it can be added to the site. Or does FB have ownership

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

Hi Group and thanks to you ALL.

I'm hoping this week is a good one for all of us, it's so crazy how fast the weeks can go but how slow the sise effects's go away, and how slow hair grows!

I'm so impressed at everyone's strength, and all the ways everyone has to cope, deal, treat, and minimize all these hurdles. Lots of ideas and coping mechanisms here from you all!!!👍

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Hi All,

Just a quick note because I got T #7 this afternoon and I'm beat and heading for bed... The awesome news is that I got T #7 because my RBCs went from 7.8 last week to 8.7 this week!! Yes, almost one point higher! You all rock - thanks to everyone who suggested I get more protein. The extra protein and taking iron supplements and eating lots of iron-containing foods clearly did the trick. Not sure what I would do without you all - can't thank you enough!

I'll post tomorrow when I'm more with it, lol. Right now, the Benadryl is kicking my behind.

Sleep well.

• debal

hi everyone, LIFE give it more time. Rest when you need to but also make time to walk etc if you can. Consider a B complex supplement. Can't believe it but I do have a weekly pill container for morning and evening. Mostly supplements and improving my diet a bit has helped. FD, I found a few good eyebrow fillers that don't look too bad. I draw mine in at 330 am lol. One day I went in to work with just one done! DJT, yes we all inspire each other without realizing it sometimes. GA, good news and I hope you slept like a baby! Sleep tight all!

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625

Hello All,

I read this forum to get good ideas, but my TCx4 chemo started in June, so I'm more on that thread.

RE: nutrition and supplements + chemotherapy...

My oncology clinic and all its oncologists, and their naturopath consultant for nutrition have recommended that I eat 80-100 grams of protein per day during chemotherapy. A similar high-protein amount is also recommended after surgery and during radiation, all to support the body's cell repair. So far, I'm fine on RBC count, hemoglobin.

I am also on quite a list of supplements (also from my oncology clinic) to try to help with neuropathy. The standard treatment these days, from our local chemo clinics and oncologists, includes: alpha lipoic acid, B12, B6 + some other additives to "potentiate" absorption, and also L-glutamine. All because the normal absorption of those elements is wrecked by the chemo meds I'm given. I'm on all of these supplements, and perhaps it's helping w/ neuropathy, or not... These are standard things; they're all on the printed support information I got before starting chemo. The triage nurses support the patients at all times. When I reported neuropathy (tingling on soles of feet), they directed me to start all these supplements immediately.

My friend who had the same chemo regimen two years ago, also in Portland, OR, wasn't told any of these nutritional supplement protocols, but she went to a naturopathic physician who suggested all the same things. Two years later, it's now incorporated into oncology protocols, at least for my clinic.

• ingerp

Thanks, HikingLady--that is really good info.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

GAwarrior, that’s absolutely great news! So glad to hear that you were able to get #7 out of way.. woohooo, I’m at # 9 infusion so far blood counts are good and no granix this week. I’ve got an acupuncture apt on Friday to help relieve the fatigue.

Djt, I’m taking biotin for help with hair growth & rubbing my head with coconut oil in evening. Not sure if it’s helping but any hair is progress..

FD, congrats on the reduced size of tumor. The eyebrows and lashes are much harder to lose.. just be good to ur self when I do, bcuz as u know it will come back again... I’m drinking plenty of water still peeing clear.. lol I’m not sure the headache...maybe stress related from work...

Life, I will continue on here til nobody answers.. I appreciate all the support and friendship as well. Don’t know what I’do without everyone help.

Wishing everyone no Se’ s. This week and sending good vibes.

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

DebAL, I had forgotten that you are having your exchange surgery next week, a week ahead of me.  Are you on the Exchange City forum?

I'd just like to reiterate what so many have said, this group has been a lifesaver and so helpful these past months.  I posted questions in the beginning of my chemo and all of you were very generous with your time and knowledge, responding immediately.  Thank you.  I hope that all of you that are in the final stretch have an easy or at least easier time of it.  

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Life, you said it. I do not know how I would have come this far without this group. Back in March, with the diagnosis and the tratment plan in hand, August seemed so far away. And here we are.Really appreciate our friends who have completed chemo but still come here to post updates. So glad you guys are doing good.

FDwithfurkids, thats good news.

DebAl, all the best for your exchange surgery next week. You too Maggie.

GAWarrior, hope you are feeling better.

Urdrago, how is the headache? You went in for number 9 on thursday right? (Its already friday morning here)

Ingerp, are you counting hours now?

My MO doesnt feel I should take any supplements even after chemo ends. She said a balanced diet is good enough. I think I will meet up with my GP and get some supplements once chemo is over.

Have a restful weekend everyone.

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

I hate Taxol. Yesterday and today weee miserable with body pains. Tylenol doesn’t work. MO prescribed Toradol. It’s better, but I am not pain free yet. I hope I will be better tomorrow. Have an acupuncture appointment too to help with the side effects. Even typing hurts. Only 3 more, only 3 more..

• debal

Yes Maggie this is an awesome group!. My exchange surgery is on the 9th. I will definitely post on the exchange board. Today was the day I ditched the scarves at work. Scalp is covered with dark hair. It felt nice. I do take more time with makeup and wont leave the house without earrings on lol like that makes a difference. Inna B hang in there. The countdown is on. Frog, good idea to ask your GP about the supplements. I feel its helped me to add them to a balanced diet. Undrago I will post a pic of the plant based hair skin and nails vitamin I take daily. Got it at Walmart and MO approved. I take 5000 of biotin every other day in addition. It's nice to hear chemo is wrapping up for everyone. I'm sure 3 weeks seems like 3 months. Please know I celebrate each one of you as you put this phase of treatment behind you. Hugs

• Engine104

The last chemo round is in the books! Now, we have to wait for the counts to drop and pray for no fevers and minimal SEs.

Sorry to hear you are in pain, InnaB2018. I hope the Tramadol works. It's an opiod, so watch for constipation.

• debal

wonderful news engine!!!

• debal

• urdrago71

Omg, thanks for the information Deb..I will look for it..I just got groceries for weekend, so I will have to put it on next list.

Everyone finishing congrats! And yes. This last three weeks feel like three months.

Engine praying no SE's for ur wife.

Innab, claritin helps also if ur not using u might want to investigate. I also soak in epson salt baths, and yoga to stretch.

Frog, Headache went away til I went to chemo today..grrr, and it's back I think it's the taxol...so I'm going to take aleve and get thru these last 3 infusions..Is this week your last chemo??

Maggie. I'm going to keep this link, hoping we see u checking in as well.

• ingerp

Frog I’ve been counting hours for the last two days. :-) I’ve been awake since 3:30, although I haven’t slept well any of these Thursday nights—I’m always so excited to be getting another one behind me. It’ll be a fun, busy morning. I have several gifts/notes to open and have to get out the door early—I’m taking cupcakes into the infusion center. I’m trying not to think about the anti-climactic part since I’ll be back next Friday for Herceptin only.

Three weeks left *did* seem like a long time. Somehow once it was down to two weeks it really felt like the end was in sight. Keep in mind that final one *will* arrive. I tell myself that “time and tide” quote often.

Almost time to hit the shower. I’ll check in post-tx

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Congrats, Ingerp! Can’t wait for my last one as well. I do take Claritin and lay in Epsom salt bath. I am feeling better today in terms of pain. Let’s see how acupuncture can help me.

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Urdrago, hope you are doing better with the headaches. I go in for num 11 tomorrow. I am excited and nervous as I get closer to finishing chemo. Next 2 treatments will be lower dose Taxol due to neuropathy

Ingerp, I hope you are doing good and are having a good weekend.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• urdrago71

Frog, your almost done that's really good news.. Do you have plans for yourself before you have surgery? I think you deserve to treat yourself..

I'm right behind you. Headaches are still occurring as if my sinuses swell from treatments and then gradually get better guess that's called Managing thru..Also I sent note to MO about bone density test and no testing is required now. I will follow up at my next apt. to get clarification why and when should testing start. Also asked about follow up echo and MO replied with same answer..

Sending good vibes...

• ingerp

Frog--I had some surprise visitors at Taxol #12--the same friends I was already planning a get-together with last night for a 60th birthday celebration for one of them. Today will be a quick trip to the gym, nap (fingers crossed!), and a quiet Sunday evening (hubs and I have gotten into this silly routine of grilling out a steak and watching the Downton Abbey rerun on PBS--it really does make a nice gentle end to the weekend).

urdrago I think lots of us are getting some sinus-y, cough-y, stuff. Hope OTC meds help that and your headaches. And just FYI--I got a call a couple of weeks ago to schedule an echocardiogram, which I'll have tomorrow. It'll be the first since my pre-tx one--really not sure what the schedule is through Herceptin--maybe every three months?? Not sure if you'd get them regularly--it's the Herceptin that's potentially causes heart issues.

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Ingerp - my MO is planning to continue MUGA every 3 months during Herceptin infusions. I was kind of hoping if the first couple remained good he'd stop them but I guess that isn't the case.

• ingerp

Roger that, duffyzmom. That makes sense.