Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

I hate Taxol! I’d rather take nausea than pain. At least I was able to control it. Tramadol takes the edge off, but not stopping it completely. 10 days after the treatment and the pain is still here. Better, much better, but not gone. Plus the crazy sweats, low energy and weeping attacks. Gone are my happy AC days, when I was exercising every morning. I am still walking, but can only do 4 miles and have to recover the rest of the day. I am dizzy from time to time, achy and constantly tired. Plus, I lost my appetite completely. I think by the end of 3rd treatment I will become a shade of my former self.
  • Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Thank you for all the wishes, I am doing much better. Numbness and pain in fingers is still there but bearable. The port site pain has also subsided. Life, I do not have any trouble in my feet or toes. Its just my poor fingers. I think I will lose atleast one nail. Congrats on feeling better and starting back on your job. I am with you on the declutter thing. Thats all I can think of when I look around. I am having a very slow time doing it but its a start.

Fdwithfurkids, thats amazing. So glad the meds are working so well.

Robin, congrats on the new addition to the family. Good to know your neice is also doing better after having a high risk pregnancy.

Engine, I hope Janice feels better soon. You guys have had it rough after every treatment.

DebAl and Maggie, all the best for the surgeries.

Urdrago, almost there. No, MO has not said anything other that nerves take lots of time to regenerate so neuropathy will be the last of the chemo SEs that people deal with. Has still not mentioned any supplements or such. I plan to meet my GP and get some supplements once this is over.

InnaB, hang in there, 2 more to go

Weeeddie, I hope you are handling num 9 okay.

Djt, when do you finish?

Ingerp, I hope you are feeling better by the day.

I am sorry if I missed someone. You guys are an amazing bunch. 3 more days to Taxol 12.

Have a lovely weekend everyone

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Woot woot, Frog!! About time to start counting down the hours. Yesterday I was pretty draggy but doing better today and looking forward to my first Herceptin only tomorrow and then a whole week with no medical appointments!!

• Weeeddie
    Weeeddie Member Posts: 17

Urdrago71, I'm feeling pretty good, energy isn't bad it has definitely improved , can't wait for chemo to be finished, 3 to go. I have my Taxol on Monday's but last week we had a bank holiday in Ireland so it was moved to Tuesday.

I believe I will have 3 weeks off before I start radiation. I have stopped thinking about dates and concentrate on numbers that way if dates move I wouldn't be disappointed. I nearly had a melt down after AC when I got infection that pushed Taxol out by a week.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Frog, well if u hear anything about other things we can do for neuropathy I would be interested my thumb and index finger seem to be effected the most lately. I have a MO apt on my last chemo date. So I'm going to ask as well

Weeeddi, I completely understand I had a break in my taxol treatment due to an abscessed tooth. I had to have it extracted and heal. LIGHT,at the end on the road!

So update from infusion today. My nurse has a friend that just went thru chemo and reconstruction surgery. She has less hair growth than I.. which is shocking, and I'm hoping I dont shed as I've read..

Its offical, I'll have a month of recovery before surgery. Surgeons office called with my pre-op apt date Sept and Surgery Oct 4th. I asked a few questions about recovery length, shortest 2 weeks and longest 6 weeks. 1 day in hospital and then I'll have a visiting nurse.

Wishing everyone no SE's and a peaceful weekend..

• timetobebrave70
    timetobebrave70 Member Posts: 65
    Hello. I am dropping in from June group. I was just wondering if anybody had problems with their thyroid or liver while doing chemo. I just went and got my 4th tchp and the doctor wants me to get thyroid and liver ultrasound. Said my throid looks like it got bigger and my liver enzymes were elevated. I was looking for having only 2nmore to go but faced with new worries😭
  • life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

InnaB I completely understand what you are going through. The only thing that took away that pain for me was hydracodone. I cried all the time, was super depressed and had virtually NO energy. I did start developing a small bit of taste buds but not much of an appetite until the second week as well as not as emotional. I did force myself to eat and I used plastic silverware for all foods that did help some with the taste in my mouth.

If you feel like talking email me your phone number and I will be more then happy to give ya a call!

Yes! DD Taxel is tough. YOU ARE TOUGHER!!

• life1963

Timetobebrave My thyroid counts went way off and my liver enzymes ran high on my last taxel opt. I am done now, 5 weeks out. Was told no red meat, alcohol or pain killers until my liver is checked again. Aug 13Th. Good luck with your upcoming test!

• timetobebrave70
    timetobebrave70 Member Posts: 65
    Weird thing is that I haven’t had any of those. Thank you life1963🙏
  • gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

I had T #8 yesterday (well, I guess the day before yesterday since it's after 1:00 am as I type this). I have GOT to remember to ask them to cut down on the steroids. I sleep well the day of chemo due to the Benadryl, but every flipping Thursday night, I'm awake for hours. Ugh. Anyhow, I'm doing well - same ol' SEs - sore fingertips and hot flashes and being tired once I'm not wired from the steroids. This time my feet seem to feel "hot" on the bottom. I chalked it up to icing yesterday, but I'm still feeling it now, which can't be good. I do have to say that chemo brain has kicked in. I think of something I need to do or discuss and it's gone from my mind almost as soon as I think it. Very frustrating, but I'm trying to write notes to myself (not that I remember to read them. Or where I put them. HA!)

Weeedie, congrats on T #9 - almost there!

Urdrago, I'm super jealous about your hair. I'm checking in the mirror daily and my stubble hasn't grown (and there doesn't seem to be any more of it either, more's the pity). I'm sure you've been noticing growth since at least T #7 or 8. Glad you only have 2 more to go! RE: surgery - are you going with MX? I wondered because you mentioned spending a night in the hospital. In my mind, lumpectomy would be outpatient, but I have no clue. I have my first surgery consult on Monday.

LIFE (Julz), glad to hear you are feeling stronger! Funny, I've been looking around the house and thinking of all the things I need to get rid of once I'm done with chemo and have the energy. I forgot to tell everyone that we had to put our 15 year old cat down last week (he rallied like Duffy did, but finally got too weak), so I also now have a ton of kitty things to get rid of, too. Hubby took care of the litter boxes, etc, but I have to clean that room really well and drag out the carpet cleaner, etc. Then there's our store room in the basement...and my walk-in closet... I totally get what you mean about getting rid of baggage.

FdDwthfurkids, thanks for explaining your scans. SO EXCITED for you! That second scan looks awesome now that I understand it. You're doing great!

InnaB so sorry you are suffering so much on T. I wonder - could you switch to the weekly dose instead of DD now that you've started as DD? Weekly hasn't been bad at all compared to AC. Sure hope you feel better soon!

Frog, so glad you are doing better and that your port has healed. I bet you can hardly wait until Monday and #12. :)

Timetobebrave70, I haven't had problems with thyroid or liver, but I know urdrago71 had elevated liver enzymes. She was taking tylenol for bone pain while on Taxol and both are metabolized by the liver. When she switched to ibuprofen her liver enzymes went down. She'll have to tell you more...good luck!

Engine, hoping Janice is getting better every day now that's she's past her one week. Hoping her temp stays below 100.4!

Have a good weekend, everyone!

• urdrago71

Gawarrior, so funny u mention steriods as I'm awake bcuz I'm loaded with it.. MX I will do after radiation less complications and I want to be healed up from radiation PS said about 6months after..So for now I'm going to do lump and axillary lymphnodes 1 and 2..you never had chemo brain on AC? Bcuz then I noticed the fog more , now some fog but so much better...

btw: when I had stubbles I wld rub lotion on my head. Changed it coconut oil every night. Congrats on #8Being done. Sorry about ur cat, I wldnt know what to do with my fur baby..

Hope u get some rest soon...

• urdrago71

Timetobebrave70, I did have increased levels of AST and ALT.. stopped taking tylenol . And by my next blood test my levels reduced, 2 weeks later my levels were back to normal range. I also read that Taxol does increase levels of enzymes. Ur 5 weeks post chemo and still have high AST and ALT? Did u have problems during chemo as well??

• gawarrior

Ugh, sorry you were up with me in the wee hours, Urdrago... Okay, I broke out the coconut oil. Let the hair commence it's sprouting! I'm glad you'll be doing an MX eventually. With tnbc, I feel like that's what we HAVE to do (regardless of stats saying lumpectomy is the same recurrence as MX), so now I won't worry about you having "just" a lumpectomy. No, I didn't have chemo brain on AC (although hubby might beg to differ). I think maybe I have it now due to the lowered RBCs? Or maybe just because I've done 16 weeks of chemo now? Hard to believe it when I think about having made it through 16 weeks of this crap... So, I had enough steroids left after a whole 4 hours of sleep to walk/lightly jog 3 miles this morning (feet are feeling fine now). The house is sure empty without my kitty though. We had to put our other one down in February, just before I was diagnosed. Cleo was 16 and had a stroke one night. Having our Boo around made it a little easier to cope with her loss, but I really miss them both right now. Congrats on your T #10 - 2 more to go! You rest up, too - happy weekend!

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

morning everyone, I was awake all night too. Too bad we all aren't neighbors and you could have come over! Exchange surgery went well yesterday. They gave decadron as part of an anti nausea cocktail so I'm sure that's why I was awake. Chest and belly pretty bruised and sore. Need to wear abdominal spanx for 4 weeks due to the fat grafting. In August, wonderful. I hope everyone is doing well. I'm looking forward to keeping up with you all a little more since I took some extra time off work. I'm so glad everyone is winding down with this part of treatment. I wish I could hug each one of you in person.

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Just an update: I'm at work, but I spoke with Janice a little while ago. She says she had a good sleep and feels much better. Her temp is down to 98.0. Hopefully, we've turned the neutropenia corner.

She took Tylenol x2 yesterday. Our MO and one of the oncology floor nurses had asked us if we'd done that before when she had a temp and we said no. They said we should try it next time and see if it helps. We'd always thought it might mask a higher fever (>100.4) and one that should be evaluated. I think regardless, if it had gone over 100.4, we would have gone to the ER.

Hoping for an SE and pain free weekend for all of you.

• FDwithfurkids
    FDwithfurkids Member Posts: 24

coconut oil is great! But Castor oil is better for hair growth and thickness. You may want to check with docs just in case. But I have a mixture of coconut, castor and vitamin E oil for my head (although nothing growing yet) Before the big C I used it on my eyebrows and lashes. It worked wonderfully.

Thank you all for the great words of support and encouragement.

Back to the oils... I’ll see if I can find my recipe book and post the recipe.

• urdrago71

FdDwthfurkids, omg I did the same thing but hadnt used that mixture since my eyebrows fell out. Did u use aloe as another ingredient?

Regarding putting the oil on the head. I do it during the evening bcuz it allows for more time to be absorbed and the greasy appearance to be gone..

• InnaB2018

Yes, guys, please post the recipe for the oil mixture! If I survive the next 3 Taxols, i’ll Need it.

• life1963

I've been washing my hair with tea tree oil shampoo and cream rinse since all this started. I started to get little whiskers the second week of taxol. My eyelashes and eyebrows fell out after taxol was over. I think it was 4 weeks. However my hair is now little fuzzies all over my head. Looks like it's going to come in salt and pepper color. My eyelashes are slowly but surely coming back and so are my eyebrows. My oncologist said if I wanted to I could use litish on my eye lashes if they don't come back in but I'm going to give it a little more time.

Struggling with really super dry skin all over my body. One of the gals on another board told me about first aid ultra repair cream. Works like a charm! Also using relpens to help with dryness as well.

Trying to get my house cleanned this weekend as it has been a very long time since I had the energy to do that . During A/C I could do chemo nesting cleaning but during taxol forget it!

INNAB I am 5 weeks away from chemo and energy is coming back. When I was on taxol I thought I would never find my energy level again. There is hope!

Everyone have a wonderful less or no SE weekend!

• Frog-on-the-lilypad

I had read about Castor oil being useful on eyebrows and lashes. Based on that I did buy a bottle back in June, yet to use it.

We got an MRI done on wednesday and I got the resukts back on friday. MRI shows there is still some disease left. Friday, was not a good day. Specially it being the weekend I cannot reach out to MO to understand the report better.

Feeling better today. Big day tomorrow, last Taxol and will get confirmed surgery date.

Its a beautiful day outside. Hope you guys are having a lovely weekend.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Will the surgery take care of the rest of the disease? Hope you get to have it soon. I’ll be thinking about you tomorrow—congrats!

• Frog-on-the-lilypad

Yes, thats was the plan always. With neoadjuvant chemo you get to see how chemo kills the cancer cells. For some very fortunate people there is no evidence of disease left which is called pcr, pathological complete response.

For the rest of us the tumor bed shrinks and then surgery takes it out, followed by radiation as an extra layer of insurance.

Yup, one more day to go.

• life1963

Frog Congrades on finishing up taxel. Sorry to hear chemo did not wipe it out completely.

Are you having a lumpectomy? Do you know your radiation start date yet?

• InnaB2018

Life, thanks for encouragement! I actually had a very good day yesterday. Went to the Broadway show with my family and then to a birthday party for another friend. Came home at 11.30! Of course, I’ll be back in my moaning chair soon, since I have my second DD Taxol on Wednesday, but hey, a good day is a good day. Wishing everyone a good Sunday with minimal SEs

• gawarrior

Frog, so sorry to hear you didn't get a pCR on your MRI. Keep in mind this from a report I found: "Breast imaging has failed to reliably assess pathological response to NAT (neoadjuvent chemo): the correlation between tumor measurements by physical examination, imaging (mammography, ultrasound, or magnetic resonance imaging [MRI]), and tumor size on final pathology analysis is modest." It's frustrating not to be able to talk to your MO this weekend, for sure, though. I wonder if that means you will be doing rads after your surgery or if they will they treat you with Xeloda? Or both? I've seen several studies that show Xeloda can make a big difference in women with residual cancer after chemo (especially us tnbc women). I'm worried about not getting a pCR, too, and have already primed my MO to discuss Xeloda with me if I don't. The biggest SE from Xeloda is hand/foot syndrome (not what you want to hear, given your problems with your fingers on T). It's a pill, so it's supposed to be easier on you. In any case, good luck with your final T tomorrow! Sending big hugs!

DebAL, sorry you were up with Urdrago and me a few days ago. I would have definitely come over if we'd been neighbors. Hoping you are feeling better after your exchange surgery now, although I know the sorest days are usually the first few days. You'll look cool in your spanx even if you aren't cool, lol.

Engine, so glad Janice is doing better and her fever stayed down.

FDwithfurkids, can't wait to try your hair recipe!

InnaB, glad you are feeling good. You'll get through this!

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

Hi everyone, I'm having a hard time commenting on each post here, but read them all. My heart sinks when I read of new and worsening side effects. And I Cheer on all who are progressing bit by bit too. I feel we are ALL a team with the same goal, and you are all part of my day. Although through with the chemo step, and on to hormone therapy and radiation I still want to know how all are doing, it's something none of use will ever forget. I have drawn so much help and comfort from all here.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

very well said djt. I feel the same

• Engine104

Thanks, DJT. Same for me. You guys are all my heroes.

Hi, GAWarrior, Thanks, but no such luck. :( After a sleepless night for both of us on Saturday night, she spiked (100.7) fever this morning, so off to the ER we went. Fortunately, she is not neutropenic, so they sent us home with 10 days worth of Keflex and said to let them know if she doesn't start feeling better in a few days. We're thankful they didn't have to admit her again. It looks like she has a UTI and maybe some infection from her surgical incision again. It started draining a lot again when her counts dropped.

• urdrago71

Engine, all I can say is , omg.. I'm sorry for both of you.. I'm hoping that this does get better and she heals. Uve been so amazing for her and supportive in every way. It sure sucks going thur this .. she is very lucky to have u by her side.. may ur roads become smoother.

• Engine104

Hi Urdrago71,

Thanks!

The ER dr said today she thinks that the main issue is the surgical incision, though she does have a UTI too. She advised us to make an appointment with the surgeon again and see what he thinks. My brother in law, the retired oncologist/ER doc said he thinks the incision hasn't healed because every time it starts to heal, she had more chemo and that dropped the counts and stopped the healing. That makes sense. Now that the chemo is behind us, hopefully it will heal.