Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Engine, life is so unfair. My husband had to nurse me back from 3 major surgeries already, but this experience is by far the scariest.

Around the time I was diagnosed with BC he lost his cousin, with whom he was very close. It was a sudden death - the man was only 51 years old. Came from the gym and collapsed on the floor. 5 min later he was dead. The combined stress hit my husband very hard. He is the type of a person who would bottle up his feelings and present a smooth facade to the world, but I knew that inside he was screaming. We put him on a small dose of Ativan to help cope with the stress. He has high blood pressure himself, so I was scared for him. We check up on his cousin’s widow often. She is not doing very well. Every time we speak to her, all of us end up crying. I try to call her myself, because I am weepy from time to time anyway, but for my husband emotions like that are very unusual. He thinks, though, that it’s unhealthy for me to be depressed even further, so it’s always a battle between us who will do the phone call. She is a pediatrician, so she doesn’t think it’s prudent for us to visit her while I am on chemo because of the risk of infection.

To be a caregiver is not easy. You have to look after yourself in addition of taking care of Janice. Please talk to your physician about what can be done to alleviate your stress. God willing, both of you will overcome this nightmare soon. You are in my thoughts.

In other news, I had my second Taxol yesterday. Came to the cancer center at 12.30, left at 8.30. Blood test and dictor’s Visit were on time, but the infusion itself took 6.5 hours. The drip had to be slowed down to the minimum for both premeds and Taxol, plus high hydration. My veins are just too sensitive, and I am in horrible pain if the infusion is done any other way. Today I am itchy all over to the point I can’t sleep. Did anyone experience something like that? I am anemic as well, it turned out. Have to introduce red meat back into my diet until chemo is over. Funny, because I seem to have lost the taste for meat altogether. Especially since everyone recommends plant based diet for hormone positive cancer survivors. GAWarrior, what are you doing for your anemia? I am scared for tomorrow, which is when pain will hit me. Got oxycodone prescription this time.

Wishing everyone a good day!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Hello All! Sorry I've been MIA. Final chemo kicked my ass. But it is over and am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Engine - Glad to hear they've decided 4 rounds is all Janice will receive. I hope things start to improve.

Sounds like many of you are getting surgeries finalized. I'm looking forward to getting my port out and radiation started.

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

InnaB.WOW! That would be very very over welming! I can't imagine the emotions that are going through you all trying to get through something that close to the heart and then cancer diagnose and chemo as well. Then of course taxel/steroids are not helping with you coping through all of this either I am sure. My heart is going out to you all right now.

I recall experiencing some minor itching throughout my body off and on while on taxol. I remember laying in bed having an itch there and itch here. Nothing consistent except for my hands and feet they would itch like crazy! I know after taxol because my skin was so dry every time it got sweaty or hot my back would itch like crazy too.

Yeah red meat definitely did not taste good. I did force myself to eat it a couple of times because I too was feeling weak. I lived on chicken, drank a ton of water, ate nuts and I would do slow walks just to keep my energy going as much as I could. I found that if I kept up on the protein my energy would not drop as bad. I also found that every once in a while a banana or Gatorade would help me better as well.

So glad to hear that you got some hydrocodone. I would tell my oncologist that after I'm done with all this cancer treatment I will be checking myself into a drug rehab center. He would give me the funniest look. Lol

2 down 2 to go!! You can do this!!

• life1963

Duffy Congrades on finishing up! I will start Rads Sept 3rd if they can get my liver enzymes back down. Seems like they've been high ever since last chemo. Just did another blood test and they're still elevated. They did say they are starting to go down.

Engine sounds like Janice may actually be on the mend finally! Having her temperature going down is good news!

InnaB I do remember that my infusions took forever. They would have to dehydrate me because we would drive almost 2 hours to get there before we would even start. Then all the pre meds and then the chemo. We would get an early appointment and still not get home until almost 7 at night. Prayers that your veins continue to hold out your last two treatments!

Good luck to all of you who are doing treatments and surgeries and RADS this week!

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much, InnaB. I am a lot like your husband. I keep a lot of emotions bottled up. We lost an uncle and an aunt right about the time of Janice's BC diagnosis last spring. The deaths were not unexpected and they were in their 80s and 90s. Still, the uncle's death was very hard because my wife and I were very close to him. He was a surrogate father to my wife and her brother after their father died suddenly when they were kids.

Thanks too to everyone for the encouragement. Janice says she feels a bit better yesterday and today, but the low grade fever is still there. I'll let everyone know what the PA says. We also have a call in to the primary care doctor to see what he thinks about the antibiotic, etc. One good thing about Kaiser is they document the patient files extensively so any doctor or nurse looking at it knows everything that is going on. I really like that.

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

duffysmom and frog, congrats. So glad you are done with t he chemo step.

Engine, of course you must be stressed to the max, and with your school starting back up and All you have been through, ....I hope it improves for Janice and yourself very soon.

Innb, so sorry you have had this difficult road to travel. I hope your treatment and pain relief is on the better road to recovery very soon.

To all, day by day, treatment by treatment....slow but sure, praying for us all to get there soon. Thinking of everyone here.

♥️♥️♥️👍👍👍

• Engine104

Thanks, Djt.

The PA said there is no infection at the incision site and the drainage seems to be much less. So, that's good news. We had a phone appointment with our primary care doctor. He reviewed all of the labs and notes and said that it is probably a UTI causing the fevers and that the Keflex is the correct medicine for that bacteria. Temps seem to be down today (around 99), which is another good sign.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Hello all,

I just finished my 11 of 12 Taxol.. Seems to be exhausted ,yet with past experience steroids should be kicking in at any moment. Neuropathy present in heals on feet and finger, I'm soaking in cold water even at home..maybe it will keep its nasty face to a minimum. Theres enuff hair growth in all others areas of body that I've shaved legs, bikini line, and arm pits..ugh!!! Also I am starting to notice that more sprouts of hair on top and forehead..

Gawarrior, congrats and baby hairs coming in..

Frog, I'm sure baby hairs will become more and more noticeable..

Duffy/ Frog, hows does it feel to be on the otherside??

Engine, glad janice is on the right medication and fever has gone down.Sounds like shes on a good path of recovery.

InnaB, sorry it's been so painful at infusions. Praying for u thur the Taxol infusions....no ichy reaction here, but I premed w/ Benadryl. Are u also getting premed for reactions to Taxol?

Sorry, if I've missed anyone . Sending good vibes and hugs ...

• life1963

Urdrago

Congrades on number 11! One more to go!!

GaWarrier congrades on fuzzy coming out!

The craziest thing with my hair started growing and now you can actually see that it's going to be salt and pepper color. A friend of mine told me to let the air to it as much as possible and don't be afraid to let a little sunshine in. You know I think she's right because once I took my chemo scarf off and started running around bald-headed my hair took off like a weed. My eyebrows as well.

Now I will be honest with you all it was tough running around to grocery stores, work and the gym in my bald head. But I powered through my fears. Now I'm not even sure what I was scared of. There was no bad reactions. No one stared or gave me weird looks or even was rude or even anything. Some people would say they hope I'm feeling well but that was about it! Now that I have broke the ice so to speak I run around all the time without a cap or scarf. A co-worker told me she swears my hair grew even more just from this morning up until 4:30 today. LOL

Chat with you all later! :-)

• life1963

Urdrago

Congrades on number 11! One more to go!!

GaWarrier congrades on fuzzy coming out!

The craziest thing with my hair started growing and now you can actually see that it's going to be salt and pepper color. A friend of mine told me to let the air to it as much as possible and don't be afraid to let a little sunshine in. You know I think she's right because once I took my chemo scarf off and started running around bald-headed my hair took off like a weed. My eyebrows as well.

Now I will be honest with you all it was tough running around to grocery stores, work and the gym in my bald head. But I powered through my fears. Now I'm not even sure what I was scared of. There was no bad reactions. No one stared or gave me weird looks or even was rude or even anything. Some people would say they hope I'm feeling well but that was about it! Now that I have broke the ice so to speak I run around all the time without a cap or scarf. A co-worker told me she swears my hair grew even more just from this morning up until 4:30 today. LOL

Chat with you all later! :-)

• urdrago71

Life, I think it's became easier as well, no hat just been airing it out ever day as you say. Mine is also salt pepper colored hair. I knew it would be, theres no pill for that..lol

This was a first. You reminded of a survivor that proudly introduced her self as I was shopping at TJMaxx. She is 3 year out and said Congrats you've got this.. I said, it's all the support of friends, BC.org, family and my docs.

Cheers to all, nothing is ever easy but with support it does make it a lot easier!!!

• Engine104

Good for you, Life1963! I'm so gad to hear you got out and about. Good to hear the hair is coming back too.

Thanks, Urdrago71. So far, the temp seems to be staying down. Energy seems better too. So glad. I hope this continues.

• life1963

Urdargo Sweet! Your hair is longer then mine! Love your earrings too!!

I don't know how to put a picture out there. I was trying to put one on my site so you guys could see my face and I don't know how to do it. And I definitely don't know how to put a picture on a post. Or I would show you my little fuzzies. LOL

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

Good morning everyone. LIFE, good for you. I agree, once the scarf came off it felt a little odd at first but now it's just fine. The reaction I got from others was the same. You continue to rock it girl, I love it! As far as posting the pic..right above where u write a post there are little icons. On mine it's the 8th one over. Then choose file. After that it takes you to the pics on your phone. That's how it works on my end anyway.

Urdrago, you look awesome too! We are all different when it comes to when it's time to lose the headwear. I have enough hair now that in a few weeks people may think I chose a short style.

I hope this is a good weekend for everyone. I'm a week out from my exchange and fat grafting. Still super sore and bruised in the belly area. Hugs to all but not too tight lol

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

InnaB, I am so sorry for your and your husband's loss. So much to cope with all at once! I sure hope you are doing better today. I can't imagine doing chemo by vein. Seriously, they won't do a PICC line for your last two? I'd be hopping up and down on someone's desk until they consented! No itching for me, but they give me IV steroids and Benadryl before they do the T. Hoping you are being given that as well. As for protein, I got a whey protein powder (60g protein/scoop), so I'm not sure you need to eat meat if you don't want to. I am also eating Greek yogurt and have added iron supplements and high-iron foods like spinach and kale to my diet. I meditate, so I'm also doing positive imaging and picturing the bone marrow cranking out RBCs.

Duffy, congrats on being done ! It's great that you're moving on with treatment.

Engine, so glad Janice is doing better and do sorry for your losses as well. I know you miss them very much.

LIFE, glad your hair is growing! I don't know about going bald - my head is always cold. Maybe I should try it more often if it makes the hair grow, though. As for posting a pic, when you write your post, above the space for writing are little icons. Like DebAL said, the photo one is the 8th one over and looks like 2 mountains in a square. Click it and it'll ask you if you want to browse your file for an image or drag and drop one in (this is on my desktop computer). Select the image you want to upload and voila!

Wow, urdrago, you're a hair factory, lol! It's coming in great! (Sorry that means that shaving is back, though - I haven't missed that). Congrats on only one T left to go. :)

Hi Djt! I hope you're doing better day by day.

Frog, I hope you're doing well after your final T last week! You've got to be so excited to not have to go for chemo this Monday.

Woo hoo, I actually slept last night, due to reduced steroids with T #9.

Sorry if I missed anyone, Hugs to all (gentle ones for you, DebAL). Have a great SE-free, pain free weekend!

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Happy Friday All!

Today I had a cup of coffee...which is usually the first sign my SEs are winding down. I'm not surprised today is Day 11 and that's kind of how treatment has gone for me. By Monday I may even feel up to celebrating the end of chemo. At least I now know I'll be feeling strong enough for the port removal.

Urdrago- congrats on #11 you are so close. As for how it feels on the otherside....right now pretty much the same but knowing there is no more chemo helps with all the SEs. Neuropathy for me right now is only in tips of fingers and toes but if I keep shoes on my feet don't bother me too much.

InnaB - sorry to hear about the issues with infusion. I hope you find some relief.

DebAl- glad to hear your surgery recovery is going well. {{{{{gentle hug}}}}

GAWarrior, Frog, LIFE - love the idea of hair returning. I'm curious to see how much mine has changed since the last regrowth. 7 years ago I had a lot of silver but this strange dark patch right in the front of my hairline.

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

So glad for you ladies with new hair growth! Life you are a brave chic. IV got about a quarter of an inch of silvery whiteish blond fuzz coming through. I can see it clearly, but still feel very bald, as I can still see shiny head too, GAW, go to know you 're on a positive roll!

Urdrago, looking good, i got that on top, but not sides yet. Congrats on getting to one more to go, that's awesome.

Duffys mom, enjoy that coffee, i know just what you mean! Engine, i just have been on antibiotics for Uti, not fun, glad Janice is mending a bit more. Hang in there, janice is so fortunate to have you in her corner.

Innab, hoping the itching has calmed down, and your pain RXis helping.

Frog, hope each new day improves for you too.

I'm more than half way through radiation, posting on that page with some of you also.

♥️♥️♥️ to all.

• Engine104

Hi everyone,

It's great to hear about hair returning. The last time, my wife's never came back as thick as before. She's worried it will be worse this time. Hope not.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Djt I hear ya. I’m definitely seeing some hair growth (hooray!) but it’s so blond I think it’ll have to be pretty long to cover my scalp (boo!).

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

GAWarrior, thank you for the good wishes for my exchange surgery.  Today is my second day home.  I agree with DebAL.  The donor sites for the fat grafting are much more painful, swollen, and bruised than the actual incisions for the implant exchange. This surgery and recovery, so far, are so much easier than the BMX.  The good news is that I didn't have to come home with drains, as so many ladies do. It feels good to have the chemo port out too, though I am so glad that I had the port for all the blood draws and chemo infusions.  The pre-op surgical nurse couldn't get the IV placed and had to call in two more nurses to find a good vein. 

As so many of you are winding down with your chemo treatments, I hope you all will have an easy time of the remaining chemo and start to feel like your getting back to "normal" again. 

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

hi everyone! Engine I hope your wife's hair comes back in quickly. It is such a bummer to still have that reminder long after treatment is done. Yes, I can see being a " blondie" would take longer to seem like the scalp is covered. Duffy you are gorgeous!!!!

Oh Maggie, you feel my pain. I agree much better than mastectomy. More of a severe soreness than pain. Glad that you are doing well. I bet you were glad to get rid of the port. My swelling is getting better. Now I have all the lovely colors on my belly as the bruising heals. I agree, chest area is not too bad. Although, it is smaller. I got used to those filled TE's I guess lol. Get some rest this weekend and I hope you heal quickly.

Happy Friday everyone :)

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

DebAL, I hope you’re taking it easy too this weekend. Thanks for your helpful input.

• Batata
    Batata Member Posts: 22

Hi Ladies!

I'm nearly 52, diagnosed in March, started chemo in April. I've been lurking on the site for a couple of days, wish I had found you all when I started this journey, lol. Surgeon & oncologist recommended surgery after the chemo, to shrink my tumor, and I've already finished 4 rounds of AC (I just want to forget that part), and seeing everyone's early posts has given me so much comfort (and information!). I wasn't alone (or crazy!) in feeling like my ears were unbearably hypersensitive, the 7 day debilitating fatigue (feeling like I was in a black fog); the insomnia; feeling (and looking) like a different person. Anyway, I'm having my 5th Taxol (out of 12, weekly) tomorrow. Taxol is a whole other beast, and although I'm much more aware and mobile on it, I have so many pains I didn't have on the AC. I don't get that much information from my oncologist - I live in Egypt, and doctors here don't really deal with patients as sentient beings, lol. Doing my own googling usually just freaks me out, but thanks to you all I have so much new information and questions for my dr (about my rapid heart rate, poor liver test results, immunity, gene testing etc).

Will have to take a 12-day break from the treatment for travel, going with my daughters to Canada to drop the eldest off for Uni, move her in, etc. So scared of the trip, scared I'll be too weak to actually accomplish anything and especially anxious because my immunity is really bad. Anyway, it's been so hard to share what I'm feeling, even surrounded by a loving and supportive family, and it's been so hard to feel like I understand what's going on (chemo brain has hit me hard), that this group is a God send, and I'm so grateful to all of you.

Pushing through, one day at a time :)

• Engine104

Dear Batata,

Welcome aboard.

One day at a time is the way to go. That's what we do too.

I am on here as a proxy for my wife who hates computers :)

I hope your trip goes well. That does sound like a lot right now.

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

This lastone has truly kicked me down. I cannot believe how super achy I am and all the time. I have woken up multiple times last week due to pain. Maybe its the Zoladex added in the mix.

Good to see ladies already getting hair regrowth. I have not even started. I wear a beanie most of the time as it is winter here, will that have anything to do with it?

Wishing a lovely weekend to all you lovely people out there

• life1963

Welcome aboard Batata!

Sorry to hear that you have been struggling with treatment. This board is full of wonderful, caring strong group of ladies and gent. Full of information and wonderful advice as well as super supportive!

Good luck with your trip coming up. Take care of yourself and listen to your body. Drink plenty of water, stay up on your proteins and rest when you need to.

Yeppers! Engine one day at a time is what we do! :)

Frog sorry to hear your having a tuff time with your last treatment. Seems that last one is a tuff one for sure! Your done though! Yea You!!!

Hope you all are doing well. I can't get my picture out there right now. According to the site my phone does not support the program I need to do this.

Chat to you all later! :)

• Engine104

One day at a time for me too, Life1963.. After Janice's diagnosis, the "what ifs" were overwhelming. Taking it one day at a time has really helped.

Frog, I'm sorry to hear this last one has been so hard. I know that chemo's effect on how you feel is cumulative. It certainly has been for my wife as well. This last one (The 4th and final, as it turns out) has been the hardest. It's three weeks now and she still feels very tired and can't eat much. I know her infection has a lot to do with it, but there is also the cumulative effect of the chemo. I hope that you, my wife and everyone on here start to feel better soon.

• urdrago71

Welcome Batata, sorry ur here but it's a great place to get support of others that are going thru this along with you. Plz take care of ur self as u travel, I'd wear a face mask if traveling on plane and make sure to change out of my clothes after I get out of airport. Of coarse al the other precautions like washing hands and taking hand sanitizer with me. Yeah ive put a lot of thought in this bcuz as engineer I cld have to travel. Be safe bcuz ur immune system is very week. Wishing u safe teavels.

Frog, so sorry ur feeling blah, keep on drinking plenty of fluid and eating.. hoping all this will pass very soon and u go for a walk breathe in the fresh air.. ooops, I'm that's my wishes for snow and cooler days lol... do u still go for blood work weekly? Is ur blood work heading back to normal? I ask bcuz I can see mine on line ..

I'm feeling ran down as well these last 24 hours. Pushing myself to be with everyone(my new normal I'd be in bed after work.) Tried to go out eat restaurant food and celebrate my moms bday yesterday. Ugh. I ended up sick, cramps. Bloated and laid up in bed all day.. not sure if its food or constipation..tmi.. either way I will be keeping myself home for a bit til I get my strength back.. How long does it take to start feeling normal and can last a day without exhaustion?

Engine, thank u for the support . I'm thinking about u both each day. It might take a bit to recover but she will.. we all will in time..

Wonder when I will be able to get this port out, knowing I dont want to get it out too soon either..

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Thank you, everyone, for your warm words. This last treatment is kicking my butt. But this time it’s more dizziness, fatigue and nausea than pain. I guess, acupuncture helped. Pain is still present, of course, but not as bad as last time. Only 2 more left.

Welcome, Batata! You are one tough cookie! I can’t imagine crossing half the world on chemo. Take good care of yourself!

Urdrago, Frog, feel better.

Engine, I hope Janice feels better too.

Sorry if I missed anyone, can’t keep anything straight in my head these days.

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Duffyzmom, you're beautiful! I wish I had as much hair as you and urdrago, but mine is barely visible - I have to look really hard for it, but it's just enough to encourage me.

Maggie2, so glad your exchange surgery hasn't been too bad. Thanks for the port info - I think I'll ask them to leave mine in until my exchange surgery. I hadn't thought of the blood draws, etc.

Welcome, Batata, sorry you have to join us. I second Urdrago's advice - wear a face mask in the airport/on the plane, bring disinfecting wipes and wipe everything down - arms of plane seat, tray, headrest, etc. Then wipe everything down in the hotel room - tv remote, light switches, TOILET!, bathroom counters and faucet handles - everything! I do this even when not on chemo because I saw a TV documentary and you would be horrified to see how the maids clean rooms (one maid cleaned the toilet with her rubber gloves on, then used those same rubber-gloved hands to immediately wash the glasses at the side of the sink. Gag...). Also, get the name of a doctor or nearby urgent care/hospital at your destination and have it handy so you have somewhere to go if you suddenly become ill. Changing clothes after the airport is a great idea and bring plenty of hand sanitizer. Have someone else push elevator buttons and open doors so you touch nothing, wash hands after holding a menu, avoid buffets...drink lots of water, rest a lot. Good luck!

Frog, so sorry you are in so much pain. I bet it's the Zoladex. Hang in there - at least you don't have to do this any more. One day at a time and this will be a horrible memory soon. Stupid cumulative effects.

Urdrago, sorry you aren't feeling well either. I hope your stomach is better today. I collapse on the couch after work, so I know what you mean about being so tired. Some days, I feel like I'm 80. Hang on to your port through your surgeries (I'm going to). Like Maggie2 said, it's got to be better than trying to go through your arm when they do blood draws, etc. I have to do an MRI with contrast next month - I wonder if they can put that through the port, too?

InnaB, glad your pain is better, sorry for the rest of it. Are the blueberries helping? two down - you're halfway there. You've got this!

For me, T #9, day 5 - I'm doing okay, just always tired. I'm so tired of saying I'm tired. I've had a little shoulder/neck pain this time - not sure if that's chemo or just that I haven't seen my chiropractor since this whole debacle started in April because I'm terrified he'll do something to dislodge my port. I also have an infected fingernail so I'm soaking it in epsom salts and chlorhexidine and putting tea tree oil on it. MO doesn't want to use antibiotics if possible (messes with the chemo). It looks better today, but who knows how much fun it will be to work on people tomorrow? <whines>.

Wishing you all a good Sunday!